jmcquown

Default Sauce for Salmon Pasta Dish

I have a nice chunk of Alaskan King salmon fillet that I did on the grill
yesterday. It's sort of smoked but doesn't taste overwhelmingly smokey. I
marinated it (many thanks to Damsel & Crash). This piece of salmon is about
2 inches wide and 2 inches thick and weighed about a pound (pre-cooked). I
ate a nice 2 inch piece of it for dinner last night with some also grilled
corn.

I have three quarters of this cooked remaining. I thought perhaps tonight
I'd make a sauce and add about 1/2 of what is left, flaked, and serve it
over pasta. The first thing that comes to mind is a bechamel sauce with
some dill weed and perhaps some grated Parm or Romano. Something similar to
my salmon stuffed pasta recipe but this time not stuffed. This is not
really imaginative, but then again, in order to taste good it doesn't have
to be complicated or "fancy", in fact I would prefer it not be. But there
might be something better out there so... any other suggestions?

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Bob

Jill wrote:

> I have three quarters of this cooked remaining. I thought perhaps tonight
> I'd make a sauce and add about 1/2 of what is left, flaked, and serve it
> over pasta. The first thing that comes to mind is a bechamel sauce with
> some dill weed and perhaps some grated Parm or Romano.

I think it would be better without the dill and without the cheese. I'd add
some peas and maybe some cardamom to the béchamel. Or maybe you could make
a mild and creamy horseradish sauce instead of the béchamel (and if you did
that, you could add beets!)

Bob

Bob

Jill wrote:

> I have three quarters of this cooked remaining. I thought perhaps tonight
> I'd make a sauce and add about 1/2 of what is left, flaked, and serve it
> over pasta. The first thing that comes to mind is a bechamel sauce with
> some dill weed and perhaps some grated Parm or Romano.

I think it would be better without the dill and without the cheese. I'd add
some peas and maybe some cardamom to the béchamel. Or maybe you could make
a mild and creamy horseradish sauce instead of the béchamel (and if you did
that, you could add beets!)

Bob

jmcquown

Bob wrote:
> I think it would be better without the dill and without the cheese.
> I'd add some peas and maybe some cardamom to the béchamel. Or maybe
> you could make a mild and creamy horseradish sauce instead of the
> béchamel (and if you did that, you could add beets!)
>
> Bob

NO to the beets LOL I don't have peas but I do have horseradish. Got any
specifics for a sauce like that?

Jill

jmcquown

Bob wrote:
> I think it would be better without the dill and without the cheese.
> I'd add some peas and maybe some cardamom to the béchamel. Or maybe
> you could make a mild and creamy horseradish sauce instead of the
> béchamel (and if you did that, you could add beets!)
>
> Bob

NO to the beets LOL I don't have peas but I do have horseradish. Got any
specifics for a sauce like that?

Jill

Bob

Jill wrote:

> I don't have peas but I do have horseradish. Got any
> specifics for a sauce like that?

This one is from txbeef.org. There's a ubiquitous Internet recipe for creamy
horseradish sauce (specifically for salmon) which calls for basil and soy
sauce; I didn't think it sounded as good as this simple one:

Creamy Horseradish Sauce
Prep: 5 minutes

2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. sour cream
1-2 Tbsp. horseradish
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. chopped parsley
dash paprika

Mix all ingredients together. Makes about half a cup.

I'll pore through my classic gourmet cookbooks later today; I'm sure that
they contain some recipes which would also fit the bill.

Bob

Attached Images

Bob

Jill wrote:

> I don't have peas but I do have horseradish. Got any
> specifics for a sauce like that?

This one is from txbeef.org. There's a ubiquitous Internet recipe for creamy
horseradish sauce (specifically for salmon) which calls for basil and soy
sauce; I didn't think it sounded as good as this simple one:

Creamy Horseradish Sauce
Prep: 5 minutes

2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. sour cream
1-2 Tbsp. horseradish
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. chopped parsley
dash paprika

Mix all ingredients together. Makes about half a cup.

I'll pore through my classic gourmet cookbooks later today; I'm sure that
they contain some recipes which would also fit the bill.

Bob

Attached Images

CJB

previously in rfc, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> I have a nice chunk of Alaskan King salmon fillet that I did on the
> grill yesterday. It's sort of smoked but doesn't taste overwhelmingly
> smokey. I marinated it (many thanks to Damsel & Crash). This piece
> of salmon is about 2 inches wide and 2 inches thick and weighed about
> a pound (pre-cooked). I ate a nice 2 inch piece of it for dinner last
> night with some also grilled corn.
>
> I have three quarters of this cooked remaining. I thought perhaps
> tonight I'd make a sauce and add about 1/2 of what is left, flaked,
> and serve it over pasta. The first thing that comes to mind is a
> bechamel sauce with some dill weed and perhaps some grated Parm or
> Romano. Something similar to my salmon stuffed pasta recipe but this
> time not stuffed. This is not really imaginative, but then again, in
> order to taste good it doesn't have to be complicated or "fancy", in
> fact I would prefer it not be. But there might be something better
> out there so... any other suggestions?

I would (and have, often! ) reheat the salmon in a pan with enough fish
or chicken stock to dress your pasta (extra soupy is good because you can
drink the leftover with a spoon or soak it up with bread), and season it
with a splash of fish sauce, juice of a lime, a clove of chopped or pressed
garlic stirred in, and a small (1/4 teaspoon?) of a one of the commercial
thai chili garlic pastes/sauce. If you don't have any chili garlic sauce
I'd substitute some red pepper flakes or maybe even a fresh minced hot
pepper.

Simmer it low, just long enough to heat the salmon, which you can then pull
apart a bit with a fork.

Pour the whole thing over a platter of pasta.

Yum! It's very flavorful, addicting, and light! I like to serve it with a
couple of slices of lime on the platter and some cilantro, but it's
delicious even without the cilantro if you haven't got any handy.

I make this with leftover salmon and I also make it with fresh salmon, just
giving the salmon a little hit by itself on both sides in olive oil in the
hot pan before I add the stock, etc...

-Claudia
CJB

previously in rfc, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> I have a nice chunk of Alaskan King salmon fillet that I did on the
> grill yesterday. It's sort of smoked but doesn't taste overwhelmingly
> smokey. I marinated it (many thanks to Damsel & Crash). This piece
> of salmon is about 2 inches wide and 2 inches thick and weighed about
> a pound (pre-cooked). I ate a nice 2 inch piece of it for dinner last
> night with some also grilled corn.
>
> I have three quarters of this cooked remaining. I thought perhaps
> tonight I'd make a sauce and add about 1/2 of what is left, flaked,
> and serve it over pasta. The first thing that comes to mind is a
> bechamel sauce with some dill weed and perhaps some grated Parm or
> Romano. Something similar to my salmon stuffed pasta recipe but this
> time not stuffed. This is not really imaginative, but then again, in
> order to taste good it doesn't have to be complicated or "fancy", in
> fact I would prefer it not be. But there might be something better
> out there so... any other suggestions?

I would (and have, often! ) reheat the salmon in a pan with enough fish
or chicken stock to dress your pasta (extra soupy is good because you can
drink the leftover with a spoon or soak it up with bread), and season it
with a splash of fish sauce, juice of a lime, a clove of chopped or pressed
garlic stirred in, and a small (1/4 teaspoon?) of a one of the commercial
thai chili garlic pastes/sauce. If you don't have any chili garlic sauce
I'd substitute some red pepper flakes or maybe even a fresh minced hot
pepper.

Simmer it low, just long enough to heat the salmon, which you can then pull
apart a bit with a fork.

Pour the whole thing over a platter of pasta.

Yum! It's very flavorful, addicting, and light! I like to serve it with a
couple of slices of lime on the platter and some cilantro, but it's
delicious even without the cilantro if you haven't got any handy.

I make this with leftover salmon and I also make it with fresh salmon, just
giving the salmon a little hit by itself on both sides in olive oil in the
hot pan before I add the stock, etc...

-Claudia
PENMART01

>"jmcquown" writes:
>
>I have a nice chunk of Alaskan King salmon fillet that I did on the grill

>I thought perhaps tonight
>I'd make a sauce and add about 1/2 of what is left, flaked, and serve it
>over pasta. The first thing that comes to mind is a bechamel sauce with
>some dill weed and perhaps some grated Parm or Romano. any suggestions?

Why ruin a good thing, ferget guilding the lily... keep it simple: cooked
flaked salmon gently tossed with mayo, a wee bit finely minced celery n'
parsley, fresh ground pepper, and a healthy squeeze fresh lemon... wonnerful
onna real freshly baked kiaser roll.

NO FRIGGIN' CHEESE... whatsamatter, salmon turned out so bad ya gotta hide the
flavor, or you really don't like salmon... NO CHEESE!!!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>"jmcquown" writes:
>
>I have a nice chunk of Alaskan King salmon fillet that I did on the grill

>I thought perhaps tonight
>I'd make a sauce and add about 1/2 of what is left, flaked, and serve it
>over pasta. The first thing that comes to mind is a bechamel sauce with
>some dill weed and perhaps some grated Parm or Romano. any suggestions?

Why ruin a good thing, ferget guilding the lily... keep it simple: cooked
flaked salmon gently tossed with mayo, a wee bit finely minced celery n'
parsley, fresh ground pepper, and a healthy squeeze fresh lemon... wonnerful
onna real freshly baked kiaser roll.

NO FRIGGIN' CHEESE... whatsamatter, salmon turned out so bad ya gotta hide the
flavor, or you really don't like salmon... NO CHEESE!!!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Steve Pope

Mayo... gack.

Use a bit of sour cream, a tiny bit of olive oil and some
lemon juice. If you like it more seasoned some white pepper
is good.

I frequently do this with hard-smoked salmon, your leftover
grilled salmon should also work.

Steve

notbob

On 2004-09-08, jmcquown > wrote:

> to be complicated or "fancy", in fact I would prefer it not be. But there

I'm not a big fan of cold pasta dishes, they all falling under the category
of "macaroni salad" in my book. But, I once enjoyed one and it was salmon
based. It used a simple commercial Italian dressing and a few crunchy fresh
veggies like celery and green onions and bell peppers (red, of course).

nb
notbob