Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pasta side dish suggestions?

I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.
I am particularly interested in vegetable side dishes, but open to
all. One person suggested something that sounded good to me. He said
to have basil-seasoned green beans. Does that sound good to you? If
so, would one just warm some beans up and add some basil? Any
suggestion as to how much, fresh or the type in a spice container?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
> I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.
> I am particularly interested in vegetable side dishes, but open to
> all. One person suggested something that sounded good to me. He said
> to have basil-seasoned green beans. Does that sound good to you? If
> so, would one just warm some beans up and add some basil? Any
> suggestion as to how much, fresh or the type in a spice container?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

What kind of pasta? Are you talking red sauce, alfredo, garlic butter? It
may help to know.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.
> I am particularly interested in vegetable side dishes, but open to
> all. One person suggested something that sounded good to me. He said
> to have basil-seasoned green beans. Does that sound good to you? If
> so, would one just warm some beans up and add some basil? Any
> suggestion as to how much, fresh or the type in a spice container?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

Dried basil is of little value except to the company that sells it. It bears
pretty much no resemblence to the fresh version.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom said...

> Dried basil is of little value except to the company that sells it. It
> bears pretty much no resemblence to the fresh version.

AMEN!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:14:24 -0400, FERRANTE wrote:

> I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.
> I am particularly interested in vegetable side dishes,

> but open to all.

We serve green salad with a vinaigrette dressing for the vegetable with
most pasta meals and the other side dishes are MEAT... Italian sausage,
meat balls, rolled flank steak etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote on 28 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.
> I am particularly interested in vegetable side dishes, but open to
> all. One person suggested something that sounded good to me. He said
> to have basil-seasoned green beans. Does that sound good to you? If
> so, would one just warm some beans up and add some basil? Any
> suggestion as to how much, fresh or the type in a spice container?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

To me pasta is a one dish meal....serve with either a starter soup or
salad, and have a nice side of garlic toast or other style bun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
FERRANTE > wrote:

> I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.
> I am particularly interested in vegetable side dishes, but open to
> all. One person suggested something that sounded good to me. He said
> to have basil-seasoned green beans. Does that sound good to you? If
> so, would one just warm some beans up and add some basil? Any
> suggestion as to how much, fresh or the type in a spice container?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark

How about a marinated vegetable salad. Cold or room temp.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

I like something green next to a red tomatoe sauce. Typically, it's a leafy
salad (lettuce, mesclun,. spinach etc). Never a creamy dressing, usually a
vinaigrette.

Sometimes I do broccoli. Never green beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE > wrote:
>I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.

Pasta is a starchy carb, so you don't need potatoes or
bread or anything like that.

If there's significant meat in the pasta, you don't
need protein on the side.

All you really need is a fibrous carb; i.e., a veggie.

And for contrast you'll want something clean and crunchy.

Salad is generally perfect.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark wrote:

> I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.
> I am particularly interested in vegetable side dishes, but open to
> all. One person suggested something that sounded good to me. He said
> to have basil-seasoned green beans. Does that sound good to you? If
> so, would one just warm some beans up and add some basil? Any
> suggestion as to how much, fresh or the type in a spice container?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Google for "contorni" and look at the first two links. They both lead to a
wealth of knowledge on exactly what you seek.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> FERRANTE > wrote:
>> I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.

> Pasta is a starchy carb, so you don't need potatoes or
> bread or anything like that.
>
> If there's significant meat in the pasta, you don't
> need protein on the side.
>
> All you really need is a fibrous carb; i.e., a veggie.
>
> And for contrast you'll want something clean and crunchy.
>
> Salad is generally perfect.
>
> --Blair

Squash or pumpkin, roasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wilted spinach with pine nuts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 08:54:19 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article om>,
> wrote:
>
>> wilted spinach with pine nuts

>Except fresh spinach is still not currently available, state wide. :-(
>
>Probably nation wide?
>
><sigh>

Try chard instead.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote on 02 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Try chard instead.
>
> TammyM

or beet leaves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> FERRANTE > wrote:
>>> I am looking for some simple side dish suggestions when having pasta.

>> Pasta is a starchy carb, so you don't need potatoes or
>> bread or anything like that.
>>
>> If there's significant meat in the pasta, you don't
>> need protein on the side.
>>
>> All you really need is a fibrous carb; i.e., a veggie.
>>
>> And for contrast you'll want something clean and crunchy.
>>
>> Salad is generally perfect.

>Squash or pumpkin, roasted.

If you can do that with minimal grease (butter, oil, etc.)
then I just have to say it'd be particularly perfect.

And since it's the heart of giant-boxes-of-pumpkins-for-
nearly-free season, I may just try it.

What's a good way to roast a pumpkin?

--Blair
"Differential Equations can be funny!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 14:44:07 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>TammyM wrote on 02 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Try chard instead.
>>
>> TammyM
>>

>or beet leaves.

Wicked, wicked man... :-)

TammyM

Side dish Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 5 04-09-2011 10:07 AM
Side Dish Suggestions? Wayne Boatwright[_5_] General Cooking 29 28-10-2008 02:49 AM
Side dish suggestions sought! Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 16 03-05-2008 03:34 AM
Bbq side dish [email protected] Barbecue 6 25-02-2006 04:27 PM
Suggestions please for herbs / olives with pasta dish RichN General Cooking 7 19-11-2004 08:36 PM