Thighbone Lee Jackson

Default How mad cow disease may have gotten into your hamburger, hot dogs and pizza toppings

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:42:17 +0000, Oz > wrote:

>Rubystars > writes
>
>>I don't know if people in the U.S. are at risk or not. As a meat eater I'm
>>really happy that the downer cows were banned from the human food supply
>>though.

>Indeed, although bear in mind that many 'downers' are cattle properly
>slaughtered on farm, with a vet certificate, who have bad feet and
>cannot humanely be transported in a truck alive.

One wonders how many weeks the animal must have suffered before
getting to that state. How can anyone stand by and see an animal
suffer for so long? if treated early the same animal would have no
more problems than we have with ingrown toenails.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.801% richest people in the world.
There are 5,951,930,035 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 48,069,965
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.
Oz

Paul M. Cook©® > writes

>DDT accumulates in fat tissue. Meaning it may not be harmful on your first
>exposure, or even your second. After that, it was anybody's guess. To say
>DDT destroys wildlife and is harmless to humans is just rank stupidity.

Everything is toxic at some dose, even water.
So absolutely everything is potentially harmful in some way.

DDT is no different, low doses are not harmful to people or the world
ecosystem, whilst high doses are.

The problem with DDT is that its very slow biodegradeability means that
world use/production must be maintained at a low level. This doesn't
mean that the minute amounts required for domestic malaria control are
any case for concern, particularly when compared to the very definite
dangers of malaria.

Its a chemical, which can be used for good or ill, properly or
improperly, its not a demonic force.

--
Oz
DEMON address no longer in use.
Thighbone Lee Jackson

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:38:00 +0000, Oz > wrote:

>Paul M. Cook©® > writes
>
>>DDT accumulates in fat tissue. Meaning it may not be harmful on your first
>>exposure, or even your second. After that, it was anybody's guess. To say
>>DDT destroys wildlife and is harmless to humans is just rank stupidity.

>Everything is toxic at some dose, even water.
>So absolutely everything is potentially harmful in some way.

Bit like saying the bullet fired from the gun at you is not dangerous
until it hits you and you're dead.

Did you attend pre schooling?

[...]

Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:27:01 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:39:45 +0000, Oz > wrote:
>
>>Torsten Brinch > writes
>>>Pearl, don't expect the maroon to bother to go actually read something.
>>>-- oh no, no, he flies solely in the seat of his pants.

>>For those that don't know, please bear in mind that throughout the 80's,
>>torsten was gleefully predicting 10's of millions of UK deaths.

Bwahahahahaha. Imagine that, just because you say I did,
everyone now knows I did not, not even remotely.

Not easy to be drifitng rockbottom on credibility, eh, Oswald?

>>He is still pretty gutted that we are still alive, and his fervent
>>wishes have come to naught.

>I don't know, you and your weird friends are clearly showing signs of
>diet induced mental disability, not to mention the fact none of you
>appear to be able to earn a decent living even in a heavily subsidized
>industry! lol

Oswald has this weird mental disorder, that he don't mind going out on
Usenet, deliberately lying. LOL.
Thighbone Lee Jackson

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:24:03 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:27:01 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:39:45 +0000, Oz > wrote:
>>
>>>Torsten Brinch > writes
>>>
>>>For those that don't know, please bear in mind that throughout the 80's,
>>>torsten was gleefully predicting 10's of millions of UK deaths.

>Bwahahahahaha. Imagine that, just because you say I did,
>everyone now knows I did not, not even remotely.
>
>Not easy to be drifitng rockbottom on credibility, eh, Oswald?
>
>>>He is still pretty gutted that we are still alive, and his fervent
>>>wishes have come to naught.

>>I don't know, you and your weird friends are clearly showing signs of
>>diet induced mental disability, not to mention the fact none of you
>>appear to be able to earn a decent living even in a heavily subsidized
>>industry! lol

>Oswald has this weird mental disorder, that he don't mind going out on
>Usenet, deliberately lying. LOL.

I think we are all aware of the failings of dOZy, dimJim webster and
his other lazy, fat slug farmer friends who seem intent on destroying
the world as quickly as possible, as long as they make a few bucks at
it.

It's quite apparent they are not dOZy enough to eat their own produce
though.

[...]

beber

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 03:00:20 -0600, "Jeff" > wrote:

>"Rubystars" > wrote in message
gy.com...

>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>> t...
>> > Is it still only one cow that has been found in the United States to

>have
>> > the disease? I mean, the article (what of it I read, it was very

>boring)
>> > made it sound as if the was some actual danger. Maybe thousands were

>> found
>> > to be infected and I didn't read about it yet?

>> There's been speculation that many of the people who were diagnosed with
>> Alzheimer's in the US may have actually had CJD. I thought I read

>something
>> about the brains of people who had died from Alzheimer's being studied and
>> the ones doing it finding out they had died of CJD, but I can't remember
>> where the article is now.
>>
>> -Rubystars
>>

>There is no proof what so ever that those inflicted with Alzheimer's had in
>fact CJD. There was one cow found to be diseased. They said millions would
>die in England when they had their scare and they had thousands of diseased
>cattle. They had a couple of deaths there. More liberal media hocus pocus.
>We had one cow in Canada and not one illness. These **** wads in the media
>don't care how they sell papers or get ratings.
>
>Jeff

More than one hundred died.
Due to the incubation period, many more may, though the consensus is
that the disease in humans has peaked there.
This is not about liberal media.
This is not about compassionate conservatism.
It is about a horrible disease which we know little about.

Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:32:03 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:24:03 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:
>
>>Oswald has this weird mental disorder, that he don't mind going out on
>>Usenet, deliberately lying. LOL.

>I think we are all aware of the failings of dOZy, dimJim webster and
>his other lazy, fat slug farmer friends who seem intent on destroying
>the world as quickly as possible, as long as they make a few bucks at
>it.
>
>It's quite apparent they are not dOZy enough to eat their own produce
>though.

Fair must be fair, I take exception with this latter point. I have no
reason to believe that Oswald Hotz de Baar and Jim Webster are
unwilling to eat at least some of what they are producing.
Thighbone Lee Jackson

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:53:01 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:32:03 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:24:03 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:
>>
>>>Oswald has this weird mental disorder, that he don't mind going out on
>>>Usenet, deliberately lying. LOL.

>>I think we are all aware of the failings of dOZy, dimJim webster and
>>his other lazy, fat slug farmer friends who seem intent on destroying
>>the world as quickly as possible, as long as they make a few bucks at
>>it.
>>
>>It's quite apparent they are not dOZy enough to eat their own produce
>>though.

>Fair must be fair, I take exception with this latter point. I have no
>reason to believe that Oswald Hotz de Baar and Jim Webster are
>unwilling to eat at least some of what they are producing.

ARe you suggesting they partake of some of their own bullshit? ergghh
disgusting but it would explain a lot.

[...]

Oz

beber > writes

>More than one hundred died.

Yes.

>Due to the incubation period, many more may, though the consensus is
>that the disease in humans has peaked there.

Peaked here.

>This is not about liberal media.
>This is not about compassionate conservatism.
>It is about a horrible disease which we know little about.

With a very very very low incidence.

Spend the same on organ transplants, cancer, heart disease and so on and
vastly more people would have had their lives extended.

--
Oz
DEMON address no longer in use.
beber

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:19:02 -0000, "Jim Webster"
> wrote:

>"Rubystars" > wrote in message
.com...

>parts
>> > of the UK if not all of it, tested for nvCJD.. The idea being that these
>> > tissues are among the first parts to become infective and therefore will

>> be
>> > a useful marker as to the number of cases. So far none have come up
>> >infected

>> If they can't do anything to cure the person or prevent onset of the
>> disease, then what's the point?

>it is quite simple. We are monitoring a population, which is rather bigger
>and probably more important than a person. If the disease is not present in
>a population, then the person cannot get it. If the disease is present in a
>population, then it is a risk to the individuals.
>Also remember that there have been claims that millions of UK citizens will
>die. When we callously refused to die and thus put a lot of lobby groups
>noses out of joint. So they said actually we were just incubating it and
>would all die later (which is in a way true, everyone dies later) so they
>run these tests on tonsils and discover that in our brutally uncooperative
>way, we aren't even incubating it.
>
>Jim Webster

Rest on the assumption that prions are present in tonsils during early
stages, although I agree. Though tragic enough, the worst is probably
over.

Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:54:55 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:53:01 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:32:03 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:
>>>It's quite apparent they are not dOZy enough to eat their own produce
>>>though.

>>Fair must be fair, I take exception with this latter point. I have no
>>reason to believe that Oswald Hotz de Baar and Jim Webster are
>>unwilling to eat at least some of what they are producing.

>ARe you suggesting they partake of some of their own bullshit? ergghh
>disgusting but it would explain a lot.

I am suggesting that e.g. Oswald would drink milk from his own cows and
Jim beef from his own cattle.I have no reason to believe they would not.
beber

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:47:30 -0000, "pearl" >
wrote:

>"Torsten Brinch" > wrote in message ...
>
>> We must be careful not to mix up things. There is a disease we can call
>> CJD (classical CJD), and another distinct from it, called vCJD (variant
>> CJD). Undoubtedly there have been people diagnosed with Alzheimer's
>> who really died from CJD, but not likely any from vCJD. vCJD affects
>> relatively young people.

>'TSEs are a mysterious class of diseases that are called by different
>names in different species. For instance some identified types of TSE
>are Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD), and its specific strain, new
>variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (nvCJD) which is a human disease
>apparently caused by the same agent which causes bovine spongiform
>encephalopathy (BSE) or British "mad cow" disease, Fatal Familial
>Insomnia (FFA), Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker Syndrome (GSS),
>scrapie in sheep, transmissible mink encephalopathy (TME) in mink in
>North America, and chronic wasting disease (CWD) in deer and elk in
>North America. There may be different strains of TSE within species,
>and new strains may be produced when TSEs move from one animal
>species to another.
>
>The common characteristics of TSE diseases are that they are
>invariably fatal. '
>http://www.icta.org/legal/madcow.htm
>
>BSE prions propagate as either variant CJD-like or sporadic CJD-like
>prion strains in transgenic mice expressing human prion protein
>http://emboj.oupjournals.org/cgi/con...1/23/6358?etoc
>
>"Now people are beginning to realize that because something looks
>like sporadic CJD they can't necessarily conclude that it's not linked
>to (mad cow disease)," said Laura Manuelidis, section chief of surgery
>in the neuropathology department at Yale University, who conducted
>a 1989 study that found 13 percent of Alzheimer's patients actually
>had CJD. ...'
>http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ory_15312.html

Not if you die from something else first.
Thighbone Lee Jackson

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:01:08 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:54:55 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:53:01 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:

>>>Fair must be fair, I take exception with this latter point. I have no
>>>reason to believe that Oswald Hotz de Baar and Jim Webster are
>>>unwilling to eat at least some of what they are producing.

>>ARe you suggesting they partake of some of their own bullshit? ergghh
>>disgusting but it would explain a lot.

>I am suggesting that e.g. Oswald would drink milk from his own cows and
>Jim beef from his own cattle.I have no reason to believe they would not.

They don't, they're stupid but not that stupid. both have claimed they
only eat organic from a local supplier, friend, this according to the
sock puppet derek moody who is actually T N Nurse..

[...]

Paul M. Cook©®

"Oz" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook©® > writes
>
> >DDT accumulates in fat tissue. Meaning it may not be harmful on your

first
> >exposure, or even your second. After that, it was anybody's guess. To

say
> >DDT destroys wildlife and is harmless to humans is just rank stupidity.

> Everything is toxic at some dose, even water.
> So absolutely everything is potentially harmful in some way.

Yeah but you wouldn't want arsenic in your orange juice now would you? Care
for some mercury in your tuna? Maybe you'd like some cyanide in your
drinking water?

> DDT is no different, low doses are not harmful to people or the world
> ecosystem, whilst high doses are.
>
> The problem with DDT is that its very slow biodegradeability means that
> world use/production must be maintained at a low level. This doesn't
> mean that the minute amounts required for domestic malaria control are
> any case for concern, particularly when compared to the very definite
> dangers of malaria.

There must be hundreds of pesticides that kill mosquitos. Heck, even salad
oil does the same thing DDT did. DDT was simply one of the first
pesticides. Also one of the more insidious. It's also one of the very
cheapest to manufacture and thus a tidy little cash cow for unscrupulous
corporations.

> Its a chemical, which can be used for good or ill, properly or
> improperly, its not a demonic force.

No, but the people that would see its use again sure are. As are those that
would foist them on a gullible public for short term financial gain. It's
really a shame we all cannot have a "Wonderful Life" experience and see the
world today as it would be had not the wild-eyed, pinko, hippie radicals not
been there to do what they did years ago.

Paul
..

Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:09:31 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:01:08 +0100, Torsten Brinch
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:54:55 +0000, Thighbone Lee Jackson
> wrote:

>>>ARe you suggesting they partake of some of their own bullshit? ergghh
>>>disgusting but it would explain a lot.

>>I am suggesting that e.g. Oswald would drink milk from his own cows and
>>Jim beef from his own cattle.I have no reason to believe they would not.

>They don't, they're stupid but not that stupid. both have claimed they
>only eat organic from a local supplier, friend, this according to the
>sock puppet derek moody who is actually T N Nurse..

So you claim that Derek Moody aka TN Nurse has claimed that Oz aka
Oswald Hotz de Baar, and Jim Webster, both have claimed they only eat
organic from a local supplier? Um, nothing personal, but I think I will
stick to what I've already said, until something more solid turns up
that might swerve my mind :-)

Jim Webster

"beber" > wrote in message

> Rest on the assumption that prions are present in tonsils during early
> stages, although I agree. Though tragic enough, the worst is probably
> over.

Yes. But really the biggest tragedy is the amount of money wasted which
could have saved others. All the shroud waving and special pleading did damn
all, the lives were saved by simple measures such as ensuring the MBM was
tight and the offal ban was enforced.

But many lives have been lost because we didn't have the money for kidney
treatments or otherwise because the money had been effectively
misappropriated to prion research. The research has been done, so don't let
the US make the same mistake we did

Jim Webster

Oz

Paul M. Cook©® > writes

>"Oz" > wrote in message
>> Paul M. Cook©® > writes
>>
>> >DDT accumulates in fat tissue. Meaning it may not be harmful on your

>first
>> >exposure, or even your second. After that, it was anybody's guess. To

>say
>> >DDT destroys wildlife and is harmless to humans is just rank stupidity.

>> Everything is toxic at some dose, even water.
>> So absolutely everything is potentially harmful in some way.

>Yeah but you wouldn't want arsenic in your orange juice now would you?

Small amounts of arsenic are essential, and there will be some in orange
juice anyway.

>Care
>for some mercury in your tuna?

Trace amounts are quite safe, we all eat them anyway.

>Maybe you'd like some cyanide in your
>drinking water?

Lots in most nuts, particularly almonds.

Your point being?

>> DDT is no different, low doses are not harmful to people or the world
>> ecosystem, whilst high doses are.
>>
>> The problem with DDT is that its very slow biodegradeability means that
>> world use/production must be maintained at a low level. This doesn't
>> mean that the minute amounts required for domestic malaria control are
>> any case for concern, particularly when compared to the very definite
>> dangers of malaria.

>There must be hundreds of pesticides that kill mosquitos. Heck, even salad
>oil does the same thing DDT did. DDT was simply one of the first
>pesticides. Also one of the more insidious. It's also one of the very
>cheapest to manufacture and thus a tidy little cash cow for unscrupulous
>corporations.

You are badly informed. Only a very small number are suitable for
mosquito control in houses, even fewer are persistent enough to allow
spraying every six months or so, even less don't smell bad or leave
greasy or staining residues. Only one, in fact, DDT.

>> Its a chemical, which can be used for good or ill, properly or
>> improperly, its not a demonic force.

>No, but the people that would see its use again sure are.

It has a very appropriate use for many third world countries for
controlling malaria. Its cheap (can be made in many 3rd world
countries), oudour-free, effective and persistant.

>As are those that
>would foist them on a gullible public for short term financial gain.

Nobody is going to get rich producing miniscule quantities of DDT for
domestic use in third world countries.

>It's
>really a shame we all cannot have a "Wonderful Life" experience and see the
>world today as it would be had not the wild-eyed, pinko, hippie radicals not
>been there to do what they did years ago.

Doe this have content?

--
Oz
DEMON address no longer in use.
pearl

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message
>
> .
> >
> > Research into some neurological disorders (for example CJD and
> > Alzheimer's disease) relies almost entirely on brains from autopsies,
> > ..

> funny that
>
> there is a shortage of living people wanting pieces removed from their
> brains
>
> Jim Webster

Your wit is blinding. What isn't funny, is that very few autopsies are carried
out on the brains of those who died from neurological disorders, and with
the number of deaths attributed to other causes, yet discovered to be CJD
upon autopsy, it is the official figures you like to wave around as evidence
that all the TSE containing meat-products eaten were/are safe that's a joke.

pearl

"Oz" > wrote in message ...
> pearl > writes
> >Research into some neurological disorders (for example CJD and
> >Alzheimer's disease) relies almost entirely on brains from autopsies,
> >..
> >Despite the obvious value of autopsies, the proportion of deaths
> >(disregarding those investigated at the request of a coroner) subjected
> >to this highly informative medical investigation has fallen steadily
> >during the last few decades. Now, even in UK teaching hospitals,
> >the autopsy rate is usually below five per cent.

> In the UK CJD is notifiable. All suspected cases are autopsied.
>
> Doubtless you can work out the date this happened from the figs.

We've seen that, as in the US, physicians have failed to distinguish
between many cases of CJD and other neurological disorders like
Alzheimer's, misidentifying and diagnosing it as such, and thus failing
to notify government agencies. And what percentage of dementia
sufferers are autopsied upon death in the UK? Less than 5%?

pearl

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message

> > And note well the rise in 'Sporadic' CJD, and total cases.

> so what, note the increased number of Mars probes. That has as much to do
> with BSE as Sporadic CJD.

You're spouting complete and utter nonsense, jim, as usual.

Title: BSE prions propagate as either variant CJD-like or sporadic
CJD-like prion strains in transgenic mice expressing human prion protein.

Authors: Emmanuel A. Asante, et al. MRC Prion Unit and Department
of Neuro-degenerative Disease, Institute of Neurology, University College,
Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK.

Abstract: Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) has been recognized
to date only in individuals homozygous for methionine at PRNP codon 129.
Here we show that transgenic mice expressing human PrP methionine 129,
inoculated with either bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) or variant
CJD prions, may develop the neuropathological and molecular phenotype
of vCJD, consistent with these diseases being caused by the same prion
strain. Surprisingly, however, BSE transmission to these transgenic mice, in
addition to producing a vCJD-like phenotype, can also result in a distinct
molecular phenotype that is indistinguishable from that of sporadic CJD
with PrP\Sc type 2. These data suggest that more than one BSE-derived
prion strain might infect humans; it is therefore possible that some patients
with a phenotype consistent with sporadic CJD may have a disease arising
from BSE exposure. '

In an interview with the London Times Health Editor, Professor Collinge
stated that the number of cases of sporadic CJD cases had been increasing
at about the same rate as the vCJD figures, and that the Swiss had reported
recently a 2 to 3 fold increase in sporadic CJD. He also expressed concern
that the transgenic mouse experiments had revealed instances of subclinical
infection; although appearing normal in life, these mice when examined
post-mortem exhibited extensive brain lesions. Subtle changes in mice are
hard to detect, but changes might be more obvious in humans in terms of
psychiatric symptoms. A subclinical form of CJD in humans would increase
the hazard of transmission of disease via surgical instruments.

Professor Collinge stated that it was now a matter of urgency to conduct
a large scale study of tonsil tissue in order to establish how widespread
CJD infection is. He said that he remained concerned about the ultimate
size of the CJD epidemic. The tonsil study that has been carried out so far
employed a relatively crude test. He stated that new cases of kuru, the
neurological disease caused by cannibalism some 50 years ago are still
coming to light. Consequently these are very early days for a human prion
epidemic, which could have a 30 year incubation period. - Mod.CP]

[see also: CJD, increased incidence - Switzerland 20020714.4756 CJD,
long incubation period 20020612.4478 CJD, surgical instrument re-use -
UK 20021030.5671 CJD, suspected cluster - USA (Wisconsin)
20020721.4827 CJD (new var.) - UK: 10th Annual Report
20020711.4727 CJD (new var.) - UK: update Sep 2002
20020908.5258 2001 ---- CJD, death rate increase - Switzerland
20011225.3110 CJD, surgical transmission? - Canada (Ontario)
20010512.09 2000 ---- CJD, possible surgical transmission - USA
(Louisiana) 20001027.1872]
http://rense.com/general32/cj.htm

Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:28:36 -0000, "pearl" > wrote:

>"Oz" > wrote in message ...
>> pearl > writes
>> >Research into some neurological disorders (for example CJD and
>> >Alzheimer's disease) relies almost entirely on brains from autopsies,
>> >..
>> >Despite the obvious value of autopsies, the proportion of deaths
>> >(disregarding those investigated at the request of a coroner) subjected
>> >to this highly informative medical investigation has fallen steadily
>> >during the last few decades. Now, even in UK teaching hospitals,
>> >the autopsy rate is usually below five per cent.

>> In the UK CJD is notifiable. All suspected cases are autopsied.
>>
>> Doubtless you can work out the date this happened from the figs.

>We've seen that, as in the US, physicians have failed to distinguish
>between many cases of CJD and other neurological disorders like
>Alzheimer's, misidentifying and diagnosing it as such, and thus failing
>to notify government agencies. And what percentage of dementia
>sufferers are autopsied upon death in the UK? Less than 5%?

Only to add, since Oz pulled that on you,
in the UK CJD is -not- notifiable.
pearl

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 01:01:47 -0000, "pearl" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:18:10 -0000, "pearl" >

> >> Provide citations.

> >See;
> >http://www.cyber-dyne.com/~tom/Alzhe...d.html#and%20C
> >
> >.. and from the UK;
> >
> >Diagnosis and incidence of prion (CJD) disease: a retrospective
> >archival survey with implications for future research
> >Neurodegeneration vol 4 1995;357-368.
> >CJ Bruton, RK Bruton, SM Gentleman, GW Roberts. Corsellis
> >Collection Brain Bank, Dept of neuropathy, Runwell Hosp, Wickford,
> >Essex.
> >
> >Reliable identification of CJD in the UK has become essential following
> >the suggestion that prion disease in cattle might transmit accidentally
> >to humans who eat contaminated beef. Recent data suggest that some
> >cases of CJD may be clinically unrecognized; in order to examine this
> >proposal we reviewed all cases of dementia (n-1000+) collected between
> >1964 and 1990. We identified 19 cases of CJD of which only 11 were
> >diagnosed before death. These 11 had a characteristic clinical history
> >of CJD. Their brains showed little or no external abnormality. In contrast
> >only 2 of the 8 clinically unrecognized cases had characteristic symptoms.
> >The remaining six presented atypically; their illness lasted 3 years or more,
> >motor signs were much less evident and simple dementia was the most
> >prominent feature. The brains showed moderate or severe cerebral
> >atrophy. Our data indicate that only about 60% of prion disease cases
> >with pathologically typical TSE were identified clinically during life. This
> >suggests that human prion disease may be more common than previously
> >supposed and that a further review of the epidemiology is required.
> >http://sparc.airtime.co.uk/bse/scij.htm
> >
> >At the very least you've been missing about 42% of CJD cases
> >(prior to 1990).
> >
> >At the very worst, 1.9% (or more) of current cases may have CJD.
> >(There are currently over 750,000 people in the UK with dementia.
> >http://www.cf.ac.uk/news/releases/0209/020913.html )
> >
> >./...
> >

> Truly, I am sorry, but you are quoting a journal article that is 9
> years old.

What bearing has that on mistaking CJD for other neurological disorders?

> None of this has borne out with recent numbers.

Provide citations.

> At the time
> this article was published, the estimates of nvCJD that were to be
> occurring were alarming everyone the same way. This, too, was in
> error.

It's too early to conclude anything of the sort, considering the
lengthy incubation period.

> It is not that BSE, or nvCJD or CJD are pleasantries or fluff - all
> are quite serious, but Chicken Little, Casandra and the Boy who Cried
> Wolf only serve to raise rabble and make fancy sound bites, quick
> headlines & flame wars.

When the population is at risk, it is far better to be safe than sorry.

> Hard numbers and facts that have been shown to
> be solidly based in research are much more intelligent and ultimately
> effective than unsubstatiated percentages, scare tactics or ****ing in
> the wind.

Give us citations for the percentage of dementia sufferers autopsied in the
UK, and the percentage with CJD that were misdiagnosed before death.

pearl

"Oz" > wrote in message ...
> pearl > writes
>
> >Recent data suggest that some
> >cases of CJD may be clinically unrecognized; in order to examine this
> >proposal we reviewed all cases of dementia (n-1000+) collected between
> >1964 and 1990. We identified 19 cases of CJD of which only 11 were
> >diagnosed before death.

> That matches up well with the early vs late cases for cjd.
>
> Simply an early under-reporting, as expected.

No. 'The remaining six presented atypically; their illness lasted 3 years
or more, motor signs were much less evident and simple dementia was
the most prominent feature.' What percentage of sufferers presenting
what appears to be simple dementia are currently autopsied, Oz?

pearl

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> > "Jim Webster" > wrote in message

> > > nv CJD figures are the column which reads
> > > 3
> > > 10-
> > > 10
> > > 18
> > > 15
> > > 28
> > > 20
> > > 17
> > > 16
> > >
> > > so 20 deaths a year was an exaggeration on my part but the number isn't
> > > rising

> > Ok. Shall we look at cases of CJD misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's
> > and other dementias now?
> >

> No

Didn't think so. Until every dementia death is autopsied, your table
remains incomplete.

> let us just concentrate on reality, the number of nvCJD cases, those that
> may be linked with BSE, is not rising but is falling

The number of autopsies carried out has also been falling.

> In spite of hysterical lobbying by vested interests it is actually falling

What 'vested interests', livestock farmer jim?

> American readers please note, no matter what the reality is, there are
> people out there who want it to look worse than it is because it suits their
> own interests and lines their own pockets
>
> Jim Webster

American readers please note, no matter what the reality is, there are
people out there who want it to look better than it is because it suits
their own interests and lines their own pockets.

pearl

"Torsten Brinch" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:28:36 -0000, "pearl" > wrote:
>
> >"Oz" > wrote in message ...
> >> pearl > writes
> >>
> >> In the UK CJD is notifiable. All suspected cases are autopsied.
> >>
> >> Doubtless you can work out the date this happened from the figs.

> >We've seen that, as in the US, physicians have failed to distinguish
> >between many cases of CJD and other neurological disorders like
> >Alzheimer's, misidentifying and diagnosing it as such, and thus failing
> >to notify government agencies. And what percentage of dementia
> >sufferers are autopsied upon death in the UK? Less than 5%?

> Only to add, since Oz pulled that on you,
> in the UK CJD is -not- notifiable.

Still!!? God help us!
Cheers.

pearl

"OrionCA" > wrote in message news
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:29:22 -0000, "pearl" >
> wrote:
> >
> >'..the director of the UK CJD Surveillance Unit warned that current
> >tests might vastly under-represent the risk of infection.

> MIGHT.

Yep.

> That is not the scientific method and any "scientist" who makes
> Pronouncements like that is little more than a quack, regardless of
> how many degrees he has.

Rubbish. You're a quackpot.

Torsten Brinch

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:25:26 -0000, "pearl" > wrote:
>"Torsten Brinch" > wrote in message ...

>> >We've seen that, as in the US, physicians have failed to distinguish
>> >between many cases of CJD and other neurological disorders like
>> >Alzheimer's, misidentifying and diagnosing it as such, and thus failing
>> >to notify government agencies. And what percentage of dementia
>> >sufferers are autopsied upon death in the UK? Less than 5%?

>> Only to add, since Oz pulled that on you,
>> in the UK CJD is -not- notifiable.

>Still!!? God help us!

To add, it is also not true, that all suspected cases are autopsied...
Jim Webster

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in message

> > "pearl" > wrote in message
> >
> > .
> > >
> > > Research into some neurological disorders (for example CJD and
> > > Alzheimer's disease) relies almost entirely on brains from autopsies,
> > > ..

> > funny that
> >
> > there is a shortage of living people wanting pieces removed from their
> > brains
> >
> > Jim Webster

> Your wit is blinding. What isn't funny, is that very few autopsies are

carried
> out on the brains of those who died from neurological disorders, and with
> the number of deaths attributed to other causes, yet discovered to be CJD
> upon autopsy, it is the official figures you like to wave around as

evidence
> that all the TSE containing meat-products eaten were/are safe that's a

joke.

except that however you dress it up, less and less people die every year of
nvCJD

tough, but there it is, whip up a storm over something else

Jim Webster

Jim Webster

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in message

> http://rense.com/general32/cj.htm

ah yes, Rense.com

found it next to the ufo update?

Jim Webster

Jim Webster

"pearl" > wrote in message

> Provide citations.

from someone who quotes Rense.com that is precious

Jim Webster

Jim Webster

"pearl" > wrote in message

> American readers please note, no matter what the reality is, there are
> people out there who want it to look better than it is because it suits
> their own interests and lines their own pockets.

Yes, but everyone knows I am a beef producer, tell them what you do for a
living.

In fact I actually post under my real name because I'm not ashamed of how I
earn my living

Jim Webster

Thighbone Lee Jackson

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:23:36 -0000, "Jim Webster"
> wrote:

>"pearl" > wrote in message
>
>> American readers please note, no matter what the reality is, there are
>> people out there who want it to look better than it is because it suits
>> their own interests and lines their own pockets.

>Yes, but everyone knows I am a beef producer,

That's a change, you used to claim to be an arable farmer with lots of
land only no one could ever find this fabled land registered to you!
lol

>In fact I actually post under my real name because I'm not ashamed of how I
>earn my living

Well you should be, anyone else would. Once again your claim that you
are using your real name is still unproven aside from the fact your
sock puppets agree with you! lol

No tax records, no land records and no registration records, now that
is very strange. Perhaps you're a farmer who lives in a flat and uses
the name of one of the cows? either way things are not quite what they
appear with you are they, still you could always provide irrefutable
proof if you were so inclined, as you place such great store in real
information! Bwahahahahahahahaha

[...]

Thighbone Lee Jackson

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:23:36 -0000, "Jim Webster"
> wrote:

>"pearl" > wrote in message
>
>> American readers please note, no matter what the reality is, there are
>> people out there who want it to look better than it is because it suits
>> their own interests and lines their own pockets.

>Yes, but everyone knows I am a beef producer,

That's a change, you used to claim to be an arable farmer with lots of
land only no one could ever find this fabled land registered to you!
lol

>In fact I actually post under my real name because I'm not ashamed of how I
>earn my living

Well you should be, anyone else would. Once again your claim that you
are using your real name is still unproven aside from the fact your
sock puppets agree with you! lol

No tax records, no land records and no registration records, now that
is very strange. Perhaps you're a farmer who lives in a flat and uses
the name of one of the cows? either way things are not quite what they
appear with you are they, still you could always provide irrefutable
proof if you were so inclined, as you place such great store in real
information! Bwahahahahahahahaha

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.801% richest people in the world.
There are 5,951,930,035 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 48,069,965
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.
Rubystars

"Oz" > wrote in message
> Rubystars > writes
>
> >I don't know if people in the U.S. are at risk or not. As a meat eater

I'm
> >really happy that the downer cows were banned from the human food supply
> >though.

> Indeed, although bear in mind that many 'downers' are cattle properly
> slaughtered on farm, with a vet certificate, who have bad feet and
> cannot humanely be transported in a truck alive.

I know sometimes it was their feet or some other ailment that wouldn't
affect my health, but I don't want to eat animals that are so sick they
can't stand up, even if there wasn't CJD involved.

-Rubystars

Jim Webster

"Rubystars" > wrote in message

> "Oz" > wrote in message
> > Rubystars > writes
> >
> > >I don't know if people in the U.S. are at risk or not. As a meat eater

> I'm
> > >really happy that the downer cows were banned from the human food

supply
> > >though.

> > Indeed, although bear in mind that many 'downers' are cattle properly
> > slaughtered on farm, with a vet certificate, who have bad feet and
> > cannot humanely be transported in a truck alive.

> I know sometimes it was their feet or some other ailment that wouldn't
> affect my health, but I don't want to eat animals that are so sick they
> can't stand up, even if there wasn't CJD involved.

The trouble is our ancestors were more frugal, and they are the ones who
developed the system and lay down the rules.
Obviously I don't know the details of the US system, but before a "downer"
cow could enter the food chain in the UK, a vet had to inspect it to see if
it was fit for human consumption.
They still do it now, even through the animal will go for incineration
anyway if over 30 months old

Jim Webster

> -Rubystars

Oz

Rubystars > writes

>I know sometimes it was their feet or some other ailment that wouldn't
>affect my health, but I don't want to eat animals that are so sick they
>can't stand up, even if there wasn't CJD involved.

When you are a 650kg cow with no hands to help you, it regrettably
doesn't take much to end up in the position where it would be inhumane
to go on a truck. Indeed most of our downers are animals who had nerve
damage during calving (like being dead-legged) which makes them weak on
their legs.

Now it's also an unfortunate thing that if large animals cannot get up,
they very quickly go downhill due to the pressure of their own bodies.
Whilst one can often do wonders with slings and loaders, usually after a
couple of days the die is cast. Even if they do recover, unless recovery
is good they are very likely to fall over again and do themselves
serious damage. Consequently most stockmen have a pretty fine trigger
and years of experience that tells them pretty quickly (within a few
days or less) if the cow is going to make it or not. These animals are
not sick in the sense you probably mean, often it's little more than you
would consider as a 'dicky knee', but for large animals this can be a
literal cause of eventual death.

Bear in mind that these animals are often very young, it's unfortunately
rather common in first calvers.

Now, I'm not arguing with the regulations but just pointing out that
many of the animals are in fact very wholesome to eat although they
would mostly normally have ended up in burgers or petfood.

--
Oz
DEMON address no longer in use.
Rubystars

"Oz" > wrote in message
> Rubystars > writes
>
> >I know sometimes it was their feet or some other ailment that wouldn't
> >affect my health, but I don't want to eat animals that are so sick they
> >can't stand up, even if there wasn't CJD involved.

> When you are a 650kg cow with no hands to help you, it regrettably
> doesn't take much to end up in the position where it would be inhumane
> to go on a truck. Indeed most of our downers are animals who had nerve
> damage during calving (like being dead-legged) which makes them weak on
> their legs.
>
> Now it's also an unfortunate thing that if large animals cannot get up,
> they very quickly go downhill due to the pressure of their own bodies.
> Whilst one can often do wonders with slings and loaders, usually after a
> couple of days the die is cast. Even if they do recover, unless recovery
> is good they are very likely to fall over again and do themselves
> serious damage. Consequently most stockmen have a pretty fine trigger
> and years of experience that tells them pretty quickly (within a few
> days or less) if the cow is going to make it or not. These animals are
> not sick in the sense you probably mean, often it's little more than you
> would consider as a 'dicky knee', but for large animals this can be a
> literal cause of eventual death.
>
> Bear in mind that these animals are often very young, it's unfortunately
> rather common in first calvers.
>
> Now, I'm not arguing with the regulations but just pointing out that
> many of the animals are in fact very wholesome to eat although they
> would mostly normally have ended up in burgers or petfood.

The issue for me isn't whether most downers are wholesome to eat or not.
Obviously that's the case or there would have been a lot more sick people
during all the time they were allowed into the human food supply. I just
think its much safer not to use them for human consumption, because "most"
doesn't include all.

-Rubystars

Oz

Rubystars > writes

>The issue for me isn't whether most downers are wholesome to eat or not.
>Obviously that's the case or there would have been a lot more sick people
>during all the time they were allowed into the human food supply. I just
>think its much safer not to use them for human consumption, because "most"
>doesn't include all.

Fine, I'm not that bothered but do notice inspection by vet on farm
before slaughter, inspection of carcass by the authorities at abattoir
and usually some inspection thereafter.

--
Oz
DEMON address no longer in use.
Rubystars

"Oz" > wrote in message
> Rubystars > writes
>
> >The issue for me isn't whether most downers are wholesome to eat or not.
> >Obviously that's the case or there would have been a lot more sick people
> >during all the time they were allowed into the human food supply. I just
> >think its much safer not to use them for human consumption, because

"most"
> >doesn't include all.

> Fine, I'm not that bothered but do notice inspection by vet on farm
> before slaughter, inspection of carcass by the authorities at abattoir
> and usually some inspection thereafter.

Great! Makes me feel a bit safer.

-Rubystars

Dennis G.

"pearl" > wrote:

>Surprisingly, however, BSE transmission to these transgenic mice, in
>addition to producing a vCJD-like phenotype, can also result in a distinct
>molecular phenotype that is indistinguishable from that of sporadic CJD
>with PrP\Sc type 2.

Is the above a logical statement ? If so, how can an indistinguishable "distinct
molecular phenotype" be . Surely indistinquishable means it is not recognizable
as distinct. Or is my language skill failing along with everything else?

Dennis

hamburger pizza Gerardus Asian Cooking 2 25-04-2009 10:26 PM
hamburger pizza kuyabayu Recipes 0 25-04-2009 02:03 PM
Pizza toppings...what are your favorites? Nexis General Cooking 42 06-01-2008 01:13 AM
Toppings for frozen pizza Terry[_1_] General Cooking 53 31-10-2007 07:02 AM
Pizza Eaters around the globe, name your toppings Jude General Cooking 119 11-05-2006 12:39 PM