Knox Graham

Default Balsamic Vinegar

Hello,

My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?

Thanks

Knox G.

kalanamak

Steve Calvin wrote:

> If it's truely Balsamic, you should see one of the above desinations
> on the bottle. If not then it's supermarket grade and can be used
> generally as other vinegars.

I agree. The cheap stuff I use on salads, but the expensive stuff (25
bucks a bottle), so mild and lightly sweet and thick, can be drizzled on
all kinds of things like fruit, pilafs, etc. Post the brand info. Or
taste. If it tastes like plain of vinegar, try mixing it with one part
olive oil, one part BV one part icecubes and shake until emulsified,
then stir in as much dijon mustard (no subs) as you care to and serve
over salad. For more nutrition, beat it into avocado, rather than oil,
and use as a dip.
If you taste it and it seems like nothing you've ever imagined, try a
bit on steamed veggie, on strawberries, or, as I do when I have a hectic
party I'd rather not be at, let alone hosting: sneak a scant teaspoon
for yourself, straight up.
blacksalt
Katra

In article >,
"Knox Graham" > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>
> Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?
>
> Thanks
>
> Knox G.

Ooh, I google this one if I were you. :-)

Excellent for salad dressings, or lightly sprinkled over fresh steamed
veggies. Also excellent for fish dishes!

It's not "just vinegar".......

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Julia Altshuler

Knox Graham wrote:

> My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>
> Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?

That depends on how you use standard vinegar. I sometimes clean with
the standard white stuff because it can freshen up a stale smelling
room. I don't recommend Balsamic for that.

Balsamic tends to be more acidic than other vinegars. (I write "tends
to" because I can't be exact. There's huge variety in other vinegars.)
For that reason, salad dressing recipes can use less vinegar and
proportionately more oil.

Balsamic has a particular taste. I love it. (I'm drawn to strong
acidic flavors anyway.) Taste it and see what you think.

A sprinkle of Balsamic on strawberries can be good. Use it to deglaze
the pan when browning chicken or meats. I like Balsamic for marinated
mushrooms and other marinated vegetables.

--Lia

In rec.food.cooking, Knox Graham > wrote:
> Hello,

> My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

> Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?

Depending on the quality...

It can be extrmely savory, and if so, use it sparingly in recipes. A
drop or two will flavor things greatly. OTOH, if it is supermarket
quality, use it on salads. If it is somewhere in the middle, you can use
it for stuff like a tomato and mozzarella and basil salad. Drizzle it on
sparingly, with some good olive oil.

Your best bet is to taste it and make up your own mind. Put abut 1/4
teaspoon in your mouth. If you enter an altered state of consciousess,
it is the good stuff. If it came in a tiny bottle with an eyedropper,
you can assume that it is the good stuf.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Steve Calvin

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> "Knox Graham" > wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>>
>>Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Knox G.
>>

> Ooh, I google this one if I were you. :-)
>
> Excellent for salad dressings, or lightly sprinkled over fresh steamed
> veggies. Also excellent for fish dishes!
>
> It's not "just vinegar".......
>
> K.

That's rather difficult to answer without knowing more about the
vinegar. How old is it, what kind, etc? All Balsamics are *not* true
balsamics and some may even be "imitation" balsamic. These are
basically wine vinegar with added sugar and artificial flavors and colors.

Due to the original packaging distinctions between the various grades
the Consortium in Italy strongly felt that there was a need for
standardization and controls over non-traditional Balsamic vinegar. A
new grading system was developed based on the following ten
parameters: Color intensity, viscosity, olfactive intensity, cooked
must smell, fruitiness, sweetness, pungency, body, global positive
smell, and global negative smell. With that, four different categories
have been established:
1) One leaf (basic quality, lowest price)
2) Two leaves
3) Three leaves
4) Four leaves (highest quality, highest price)

If it's truely Balsamic, you should see one of the above desinations
on the bottle. If not then it's supermarket grade and can be used
generally as other vinegars.

--
Steve

WhansaMi

The way we used it last night:

Slice plum tomatoes and marinate in balsamic vinegar and fresh basil leaves for
about 3 hours. Place one slice of tomato on a baguette slice; top with fresh
mozarella.

For another quick and easy: A couple of times a week, I throw some cucumbers,
cherry tomatoes, and red onions in a bowl, pour in some Balsamic vinegar and
let sit in the fridge until lunch. Just before eating, I toss on some reduced
fat feta. Excellent low fat salad!

Sheila
kilikini

"Knox Graham" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>
> Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?
>
> Thanks
>
> Knox G.

If it's really good vinegar, take some good EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
and pour it on a salad plate. Then take your balsamic vinegar and pour it
into the center of the olive oil. Grab a really hearty, crusty sourdough,
or Italian bread and sop up the mixture. Oooooh, it's so good!

(You can also add a dusting of italian seasonings or parmesan into the
mix....)

Kilikini

In rec.food.cooking, WhansaMi > wrote:
> The way we used it last night:

> Slice plum tomatoes and marinate in balsamic vinegar and fresh basil leaves for
> about 3 hours. Place one slice of tomato on a baguette slice; top with fresh
> mozarella.

Sounds yummy to me!

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, kilikini > wrote:

> If it's really good vinegar, take some good EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
> and pour it on a salad plate. Then take your balsamic vinegar and pour it
> into the center of the olive oil. Grab a really hearty, crusty sourdough,
> or Italian bread and sop up the mixture. Oooooh, it's so good!

> (You can also add a dusting of italian seasonings or parmesan into the
> mix....)

Just thinking about that is making my head swim with endorphins...

Good balsamic is more like a drug than a food.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Steve Calvin

kalanamak wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>

>>If it's truely Balsamic, you should see one of the above desinations
>>on the bottle. If not then it's supermarket grade and can be used
>>generally as other vinegars.
>>

> I agree. The cheap stuff I use on salads, but the expensive stuff (25
> bucks a bottle), so mild and lightly sweet and thick, can be drizzled on
> all kinds of things like fruit, pilafs, etc. Post the brand info. Or
> taste. If it tastes like plain of vinegar, try mixing it with one part
> olive oil, one part BV one part icecubes and shake until emulsified,
> then stir in as much dijon mustard (no subs) as you care to and serve
> over salad. For more nutrition, beat it into avocado, rather than oil,
> and use as a dip.
> If you taste it and it seems like nothing you've ever imagined, try a
> bit on steamed veggie, on strawberries, or, as I do when I have a hectic
> party I'd rather not be at, let alone hosting: sneak a scant teaspoon
> for yourself, straight up.
> blacksalt

Wanna try something that sounds even wierder but is fabulous? Get some
GOOD balsamic and drizzle it over some good vanilla ice cream. OH MAN....

--
Steve

Erica

"Knox Graham" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>
> Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?

One of my favorite ways to use it is on fresh strawberries or
nectarines. It's also great in pasta salad, green salad, poultry,
fish, mushrooms, artichokes, tomatoes...the list goes on and on.

--Erica
kilikini

(snip)

> Wanna try something that sounds even wierder but is fabulous? Get some
> GOOD balsamic and drizzle it over some good vanilla ice cream. OH MAN....
>
> --
> Steve
>
> Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Really????????? I think I'll have to take your word for that one. How in
the heck did you discover that?

Kili

Steve Calvin

kilikini wrote:

> (snip)
>

>>Wanna try something that sounds even wierder but is fabulous? Get some
>>GOOD balsamic and drizzle it over some good vanilla ice cream. OH MAN....
>>
>>--
>>Steve
>>
>>Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.
>>

> Really????????? I think I'll have to take your word for that one. How in
> the heck did you discover that?
>
> Kili

Honestly. If you have a GOOD and I *stress* GOOD bottle of balsamic,
one of the little guys that sells for big bucks. It's really amazingly
good. I know it sounds wierd but if you ever get the chance, don't
pass it up!

--
Steve

Jessica Vincent

"Knox Graham" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>
> Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?
>
> Thanks
>
> Knox G.

If it's a real Balsamic it's good stuff. A little bit is very yummy on fresh
ripe strawberries with a bit of fresh ground pepper. I alos love it in a
marinade for grilled steaks it carmelizes on the outside of the meat and
imparts a spendid flavor.

Jessica

murray

I saw a lot of postings, from "very acidic" to "cleaning product" to
"drizzle over icecream".. Like a red wine, balsamic has many
varieties (and in turn qualities) oh, and $25 is a very middle of the
road variety.. like wines.. A decent one can be reduced (cooked
down) or used as a base for many red wine sauces.. The quality ones do
not really deserve to be called a vinegar, but they are by
definition.... For those that just use them with olive oil as a
dressing, the secret is to actually find the blend of the best extra
virgin olive oil and the best balsamic... That will take a few
years!!! Good luck.. Murray

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:38:12 -0600, "Knox Graham"
> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>
>Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?
>
>Thanks
>
>Knox G.

JimLane

kilikini wrote:

> (snip)
>

>>Wanna try something that sounds even wierder but is fabulous? Get some
>>GOOD balsamic and drizzle it over some good vanilla ice cream. OH MAN....
>>
>>--
>>Steve
>>
>>Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.
>>

> Really????????? I think I'll have to take your word for that one. How in
> the heck did you discover that?
>
> Kili

If the good balsamic works over sweet stuff like strawberries and so on,
why do you suppose it would not work with ice cream? Sounds like people
who are incredulous when someone says put salt on watermelon.

jim
Steve Calvin

JimLane wrote:

<snip>

> If the good balsamic works over sweet stuff like strawberries and so on,
> why do you suppose it would not work with ice cream? Sounds like people
> who are incredulous when someone says put salt on watermelon.
>

> jim

Isn't that the only way to eat watermelon? ;-)

--
Steve

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

Default Balsamic Vinegar (RECIPE)

Served this recipe, culled from RFC some years back, at a Christmas Day
potluck, to rave reviews --- Pam

MARINATED PEPPERS (Douglas - RFC 12/22/97)

3 sweet red peppers

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

2 cloves garlic, chopped

Roast peppers under broiler or in gas flame until they are charred all over.
Cool slightly. Place charred peppers in paper bag and seal. Let stand few
minutes so steam will loosen skins. Peel peppers and slice thinly.

Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and peppers in a small bowl. Marinate at
least 1 hour. You can try substituting raw peppers. Thinly slice them and
marinate 2 to 3 hours before using.

Drain peppers before serving. Excess marinade can be used for salad
dressing.

"Knox Graham" wrote
> Hello,
>
> My neighbor gave me a bottle of this, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
>
> Is it used like standard vinegar or does it have a special purpose?
>
> Thanks
>
> Knox G.

mangodance

JimLane wrote:
> If the good balsamic works over sweet stuff like strawberries and so on,
> why do you suppose it would not work with ice cream? Sounds like people
> who are incredulous when someone says put salt on watermelon.

Many people on both sides of my family did this when I was growing up
(still do!). I have tried it every few years ever since I could hold
watermelon and you can count me as one of those people who don't
understand it. It takes something sweet, and covers it up with a salty
taste. YMMV...but I'm the one with the weird relatives!

Ken

mangodance > wrote in message >...
> JimLane wrote:
> > If the good balsamic works over sweet stuff like strawberries and so on,
> > why do you suppose it would not work with ice cream? Sounds like people
> > who are incredulous when someone says put salt on watermelon.

> Many people on both sides of my family did this when I was growing up
> (still do!). I have tried it every few years ever since I could hold
> watermelon and you can count me as one of those people who don't
> understand it. It takes something sweet, and covers it up with a salty
> taste. YMMV...but I'm the one with the weird relatives!

Great timing with this post: Today, for the first time, I saw
somebody put salt, and more than a little, on a slice of orange. I
didn't even bother to ask why somebody would do that to an orange.
She's a real Okie, so maybe it's a regional taste.

Ken
Catbird

> mangodance > wrote in message

> > JimLane wrote:
> > > If the good balsamic works over sweet stuff like strawberries and so

on,
> > > why do you suppose it would not work with ice cream? Sounds like

people
> > > who are incredulous when someone says put salt on watermelon.

> > Many people on both sides of my family did this when I was growing up
> > (still do!). I have tried it every few years ever since I could hold
> > watermelon and you can count me as one of those people who don't
> > understand it. It takes something sweet, and covers it up with a salty
> > taste. YMMV...but I'm the one with the weird relatives!

I like to put a *little* salt on my watermelon and cantaloupe as do my
family members. Maybe it's a southern thing. I never heard of kettle corn
until a year ago. Sugar in my salty popcorn? *L* Now I like it. I love
sweet/savory, sweet/spicy things too.

--
Catbird

"Oh-oh, her schizo is about to phrenia" - Bob Hope

Steve Calvin

Ken wrote:

<snip>

> Great timing with this post: Today, for the first time, I saw
> somebody put salt, and more than a little, on a slice of orange. I
> didn't even bother to ask why somebody would do that to an orange.
> She's a real Okie, so maybe it's a regional taste.
>
> Ken

A *small* amount of salt tends to "bring out" the sweetness. Accent on
"small".

Julia Altshuler

Ken wrote:

> Great timing with this post: Today, for the first time, I saw
> somebody put salt, and more than a little, on a slice of orange. I
> didn't even bother to ask why somebody would do that to an orange.
> She's a real Okie, so maybe it's a regional taste.

Does she smoke heavily? Smokers have trouble tasting anything but
especially delicate flavors. Salt brings out the sweetness. I've never
seen anyone put salt on an orange either, but if I did, I'd guess the
eater was a smoker who couldn't taste the orange without salt.

--Lia

Balsamic vinegar Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 44 23-12-2010 07:08 PM
making Balsamic Viniagerette dressing from Balsamic Vinegar amandaF General Cooking 8 11-11-2007 04:00 PM
Does balsamic vinegar go bad? kenny General Cooking 3 12-10-2006 04:28 PM
Balsamic Vinegar Rich General Cooking 5 20-06-2006 10:12 AM
balsamic vinegar karl gruber General Cooking 28 17-06-2006 07:02 PM