Default Aging meat to death? Eggs and other strange goings-on.

Hi everybody!

My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it turns
green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most delicious
steaks I've ever had.

Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

Another strange thing is they buy the costco 12x12 (?) crates of eggs and
stack 'em in the corner of the kitchen, unrefridgerated until needed.
That bothered me until they told me "what do you think you just had for
breakfast?"

I thought they were wierd but reconsidered. :-)

What other strange treatment of foods do you have?

Andy
pennyaline

"A" wrote:
> My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it turns
> green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most delicious
> steaks I've ever had.

Green and slimey? I'd hesitate, too.

Aged til deep red or purple? Yes. Green? Run away!

> Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

Why wouldn't it apply? Might as well. Overkill should be thorough.

> Another strange thing is they buy the costco 12x12 (?) crates of eggs and
> stack 'em in the corner of the kitchen, unrefridgerated until needed.
> That bothered me until they told me "what do you think you just had for
> breakfast?"
>
> I thought they were wierd but reconsidered. :-)

How quickly do they use them up? Many people don't refrigerate eggs, but I
doubt they buy them by the crate.

> What other strange treatment of foods do you have?

My grandparents and greatgrands left milk standing at room temperature until
it had a skin on it before they'd even think of drinking it. I'm not talking
about clabbering a large quantity of milk. I mean they left individual
drinking vessels of milk out. I was told that it was a German cultural
thing.

pennyaline

"A" wrote:
> My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it turns
> green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most delicious
> steaks I've ever had.

Green and slimey? I'd hesitate, too.

Aged til deep red or purple? Yes. Green? Run away!

> Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

Why wouldn't it apply? Might as well. Overkill should be thorough.

> Another strange thing is they buy the costco 12x12 (?) crates of eggs and
> stack 'em in the corner of the kitchen, unrefridgerated until needed.
> That bothered me until they told me "what do you think you just had for
> breakfast?"
>
> I thought they were wierd but reconsidered. :-)

How quickly do they use them up? Many people don't refrigerate eggs, but I
doubt they buy them by the crate.

> What other strange treatment of foods do you have?

My grandparents and greatgrands left milk standing at room temperature until
it had a skin on it before they'd even think of drinking it. I'm not talking
about clabbering a large quantity of milk. I mean they left individual
drinking vessels of milk out. I was told that it was a German cultural
thing.

Andy

pennyaline,

> "A" wrote:
>> My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it
>> turns green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most
>> delicious steaks I've ever had.

> Green and slimey? I'd hesitate, too.
>
> Aged til deep red or purple? Yes. Green? Run away!

Depending on the steak, it is usually over a week or more from "sell by
date."

>> Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

> Why wouldn't it apply? Might as well. Overkill should be thorough.

That's what they told me!??

>> Another strange thing is they buy the costco 12x12 (?) crates of eggs
>> and stack 'em in the corner of the kitchen, unrefridgerated until
>> needed. That bothered me until they told me "what do you think you
>> just had for breakfast?"
>>
>> I thought they were wierd but reconsidered. :-)

> How quickly do they use them up? Many people don't refrigerate eggs,
> but I doubt they buy them by the crate.

They sit around (dwindle?) for a couple weeks, afaik.

>> What other strange treatment of foods do you have?

> My grandparents and greatgrands left milk standing at room temperature
> until it had a skin on it before they'd even think of drinking it. I'm
> not talking about clabbering a large quantity of milk. I mean they
> left individual drinking vessels of milk out. I was told that it was a
> German cultural thing.

Going back to greatgrands, could that be because of lack of refrigeration
of the day? Like warm beer?

Andy

Andy

pennyaline,

> "A" wrote:
>> My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it
>> turns green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most
>> delicious steaks I've ever had.

> Green and slimey? I'd hesitate, too.
>
> Aged til deep red or purple? Yes. Green? Run away!

Depending on the steak, it is usually over a week or more from "sell by
date."

>> Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

> Why wouldn't it apply? Might as well. Overkill should be thorough.

That's what they told me!??

>> Another strange thing is they buy the costco 12x12 (?) crates of eggs
>> and stack 'em in the corner of the kitchen, unrefridgerated until
>> needed. That bothered me until they told me "what do you think you
>> just had for breakfast?"
>>
>> I thought they were wierd but reconsidered. :-)

> How quickly do they use them up? Many people don't refrigerate eggs,
> but I doubt they buy them by the crate.

They sit around (dwindle?) for a couple weeks, afaik.

>> What other strange treatment of foods do you have?

> My grandparents and greatgrands left milk standing at room temperature
> until it had a skin on it before they'd even think of drinking it. I'm
> not talking about clabbering a large quantity of milk. I mean they
> left individual drinking vessels of milk out. I was told that it was a
> German cultural thing.

Going back to greatgrands, could that be because of lack of refrigeration
of the day? Like warm beer?

Andy

CJB

previously in rfc, Andy > wrote:

> pennyaline,
>

>> "A" wrote:
>>> My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it
>>> turns green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most
>>> delicious steaks I've ever had.

>> Green and slimey? I'd hesitate, too.
>>
>> Aged til deep red or purple? Yes. Green? Run away!

> Depending on the steak, it is usually over a week or more from "sell
> by date."
>

>>> Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

>> Why wouldn't it apply? Might as well. Overkill should be thorough.

> That's what they told me!??

Because the ground beef will go bad before it ages. Much less of a shelf
life once it's ground. All those surfaces for nasties to stick to and
grow!

snip snip

>>> What other strange treatment of foods do you have?

>> My grandparents and greatgrands left milk standing at room
>> temperature until it had a skin on it before they'd even think of
>> drinking it. I'm not talking about clabbering a large quantity of
>> milk. I mean they left individual drinking vessels of milk out. I was
>> told that it was a German cultural thing.

Sounds like a German _cultured_ thing!

-Claudia
CJB

previously in rfc, Andy > wrote:

> pennyaline,
>

>> "A" wrote:
>>> My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it
>>> turns green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most
>>> delicious steaks I've ever had.

>> Green and slimey? I'd hesitate, too.
>>
>> Aged til deep red or purple? Yes. Green? Run away!

> Depending on the steak, it is usually over a week or more from "sell
> by date."
>

>>> Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

>> Why wouldn't it apply? Might as well. Overkill should be thorough.

> That's what they told me!??

Because the ground beef will go bad before it ages. Much less of a shelf
life once it's ground. All those surfaces for nasties to stick to and
grow!

snip snip

>>> What other strange treatment of foods do you have?

>> My grandparents and greatgrands left milk standing at room
>> temperature until it had a skin on it before they'd even think of
>> drinking it. I'm not talking about clabbering a large quantity of
>> milk. I mean they left individual drinking vessels of milk out. I was
>> told that it was a German cultural thing.

Sounds like a German _cultured_ thing!

-Claudia
Reg

A wrote:

> My friends (Steve and Lauri) age beef to the point just before it turns
> green and slimy. I had my doubts, but they cook up the most delicious
> steaks I've ever had.
>
> Anybody? It doesn't apply to hamburger, naturally.

I age beef regularly because I think the improved flavor and texture
make it worth the trouble. I typically keep the aging period to around
7 - 10 days so I can't speak to the multicolor issue. Frankly I'd probably
pass on eating it in that condition, especially if it wasn't done by a
professional.

If you can deal with the logistical hassle and the added expense
of aging, it's well worth the effort.

- Use a tender, well marbled cut
- Age it for a week or so (more than that results in diminishing returns)
- Keep your process squeeky clean, preferably using a separate fridge

Reg