Tony Starr

Default Where to buy dried chilis in Melbourne Australia

Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

Many Thanks
Tony

Bronwyn Ferrier Ms

"Tony Starr" > wrote in message >...
> Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
> ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?
>
> Many Thanks
> Tony

I have a foodie friend in Melb. whom I met in this food group. She
cooks great Mexican and Indian food. There is a grocer in Swan St
Richmond but I cant remember the name of it. Up the city end on a
corner northside. They have alot of Mexican product. Check the yellow
pages. My friend is currently holidaying in India and will be back
early Feb, so keep an eye on this newsgroup and I will post more info.
I live on the Gold Coast, and will be visiting Melb, from 9th Feb. so
will be frequenting these places too to stock up, so perhaps we can
meet in Richmond one day. I always bring back a truckload of hard to
get food items. Gold Coast is a bit of wasteland in that department!!
Regards, sorry I cant be more specific.
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Ferrier Ms

"Tony Starr" > wrote in message >...
> Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
> ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?
>
> Many Thanks
> Tony

I have a foodie friend in Melb. whom I met in this food group. She
cooks great Mexican and Indian food. There is a grocer in Swan St
Richmond but I cant remember the name of it. Up the city end on a
corner northside. They have alot of Mexican product. Check the yellow
pages. My friend is currently holidaying in India and will be back
early Feb, so keep an eye on this newsgroup and I will post more info.
I live on the Gold Coast, and will be visiting Melb, from 9th Feb. so
will be frequenting these places too to stock up, so perhaps we can
meet in Richmond one day. I always bring back a truckload of hard to
get food items. Gold Coast is a bit of wasteland in that department!!
Regards, sorry I cant be more specific.
Bronwyn
Katra

In article >,
"Tony Starr" > wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
> ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?
>
> Many Thanks
> Tony

eBay? :-)

What are you looking for?

I'm not sure about the legalities, but I could
look into shipping you some.

Stuff like this is widely available in Texas.

Same goes for Mesquite chips, the _ultimate_ in BBQ experiences! :-d

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Rhonda Anderson

"Tony Starr" > wrote in news:TK3Jb.66
:

> Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
> ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

A quick Google search found this place in Tullamarine. Not sure where in
Melbourne you are, but looks like you can order via the website.

Aztec Mexican Products

http://www.aztecmexican.com.au

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Siobhan Perricone

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:17:06 +1100, "Tony Starr"
> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
>ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

You'd probably have better luck if you spelled it chiles, not chilis. Chili
is a thick tex-mex stew from Texas. Chiles are peppers.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or

You have a choice: www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with African American voters, then Trent Lott would be Martin
Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Katra
> wrote:

> In article >,
> "Tony Starr" > wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
> > ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

> What are you looking for?
>
> I'm not sure about the legalities, but I could
> look into shipping you some.

Ask Rhonda. :-) The Aussies are quite particular about what comes into
their country. She'll know.
--
-Barb
12-28-03: Tourtiere picture added to my site: <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
Larry Olivier

"Tony Starr" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
> ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?
>
> Many Thanks
> Tony

Don't know about Melbourne but Im sure ZIGGYS of Sydney can mail or deliver
whatever you want.This great fine food store and deli is probably the best
outside of Europe that you will ever see.
I could not believe the variety and quality of their products esp
smallgoods.
Their ham and prosciutto are extraordinary.

Dimiri

"Tony Starr" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
> ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?
>
> Many Thanks
> Tony

I am not from Oz however many Mexican food ingredients can be found at Asian
markets. As example Chinese Parsley = Cilantro.

Good Luck,

Dimitri

Rhonda Anderson

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Katra
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Tony Starr" > wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican
>> > food ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

>> What are you looking for?
>>
>> I'm not sure about the legalities, but I could
>> look into shipping you some.

> Ask Rhonda. :-) The Aussies are quite particular about what comes
> into their country. She'll know.

Check out the conditions here -
http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

Enter dried capsicum in the search field, and a case titled Capsicum
spp. Dried will come up. This is the relevant one.

Unofficially - they should be commercially prepared and packaged, and
correctly declared, and we will inspect them for contamination/insect
infestation (we do see a lot of insect infested foodstuffs, particularly
if sent surface mail - eggs have a chance to hatch in transit). If they
pass inspection they'll be released back to the mail for delivery.

I'm pretty sure the OP should be able to find a variety of dried chilis
here, though.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 10:30:03 +1000, Craig Welch >
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:05:20 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:17:06 +1100, "Tony Starr"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
>>>ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

>>You'd probably have better luck if you spelled it chiles, not chilis. Chili
>>is a thick tex-mex stew from Texas. Chiles are peppers.

>Nope. Chillies are spelled in a variety of ways. Chili is one of
>them.

In any case, the point still remains that he'd probably have better luck
trying find what he wants spelling it chile rather than chili.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
Kajikit

Siobhan Perricone saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told
us all about it on Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:05:20 -0500:

>On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:17:06 +1100, "Tony Starr"
> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican food
>>ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

>You'd probably have better luck if you spelled it chiles, not chilis. Chili
>is a thick tex-mex stew from Texas. Chiles are peppers.

Nope. Chile is a country in South America. To the OP, try a good
delicetesan (sp?) My brother likes exotic spices and our local deli
orders him in some specially. I don't know if anyone else buys them,
but he gets a regular supply of cherumboula, African spices etc, and
we got some rather exotic ground chilis from them too.

The actual supplier is 'Herbies', based in NSW and they have a website
listed on the packets. Try http://www.herbies.com.au/ It seems you can
do mailorder anywhere within Australia
~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Daisy

Hi there - I'm in New Zealand, where we can get any number of
Australian products both fresh and dried.

I use Master Foods chili flakes in many dishes with great success. I
am sure you can get this in any Melbourne supermarket.

Good cooking.

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
lea b

"Tony Starr" > wrote ...
>> Can anyone tell me where I can buy dried chilis and other Mexican
>> food ingredients in Melbourne, Australia?

I find WhiteHat handy when no-one else can help.
http://www.whitehat.com.au/Melbourne...s/Default.html

He/she also posts in melb.gen ( x-post added ), plus plenty of other ppl
there to help.

--
If I can't be a good example,
then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

lea b

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
> Craig Welch <> wrote:
>> Siobhan Perricone wrote:

>>> You'd probably have better luck if you spelled it chiles, not
>>> chilis. Chili is a thick tex-mex stew from Texas. Chiles are
>>> peppers.

>> Nope. Chillies are spelled in a variety of ways. Chili is one of
>> them.

> In any case, the point still remains that he'd probably have better
> luck trying find what he wants spelling it chile rather than chili.

Not here in Australia, Siobhan, as Craig would know.

--
If I can't be a good example,
then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

manga_blue

Atomic Chilli Seeds in North Melbourne sell seeds, products and
accoutriments for hundreds of different chilli varieties