Kate Connally

Default Wanted: Choc. Cherry Bread (yeast) recipe like Panera's

Last year my sister bought some chocolate cherry bread
at Panera. This was at the end of September. It was
delicious. It was made like cinnamon bread - i.e.
with a dried cherry and chopped chocolate filling and
rolled up. The bread dough itself was chocolate.

Several weeks later I went to Panera and, not seeing it
on the shelf, asked about it. They told me that they
just had it in August and September, that it was a special
bread that they only had once a year. (At least that's
what I thought they were saying). So this year I realize
it's August and I start thinking about getting some more
of this bread. I go to Panera and they tell me they don't
make it anymore, that is was a one-time thing, and it
didn't sell very well so they're never going to have it
again. So, I called the corporate headquarters and talk
to a customer service rep. I tell her the above story
and she says, oh no, that's all wrong. They might have
it again sometime in the future but can't say when. It
was supposedly a special "chocolate" celebration sort of
event. I then asked for the recipe since I didn't know
if they would ever have it again. They refused to give
me the recipe. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal
to get the recipe since it's not like a regular item
and my making it myself was not going to impact their
sales. (Too bad I no longer subscribe to Bon Appetit
or I could write to them and get them to get the recipe
for me. That was one of the best features of that
magazine.)

So, now I'm on a quest to get this recipe or a similar
recipe or if it comes down to it, just fake it and make
up my own recipe.

I have a chocolate yeast bread recipe already that could
be used and I could fake the filling. However, I thought
it would be a good idea to see if anyone else has something
similar to give my some ideas to work with.

Thanks,
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Reg

Kate Connally wrote:

> Last year my sister bought some chocolate cherry bread
> at Panera. This was at the end of September. It was
> delicious. It was made like cinnamon bread - i.e.
> with a dried cherry and chopped chocolate filling and
> rolled up. The bread dough itself was chocolate.

Chocolate Cherry Bread

This is a relatively slow rising bread with a slightly dense crumb.

2 C bread flour
1 1/2 C water
1/4 t active dry yeast

Mix the above sponge. Let it rise for 6 - 8 hours. If you're
in a hurry you can speed it up by using 1/2 t yeast, which will
shorten the rise time. You want to use the sponge when it's
bubbled up but not before it starts to fall back down on
itself.

2 C flour
2 1/2 t active dry yeast
5 T sugar
6 T dark unsweetened cocoa (darkest makes for best loaf color)
8 T butter, softened
2 t salt
4 oz sour dried cherries (approx 1 C)
6 - 8 oz chopped chocolate

Mix in the sponge and all the above ingredients except the cherriess
and chopped chocolate. Mix thoughly, about 5 minutes at medium speed.
Add the chopped chocolate and cherries and mix on low for 1 minute.
If you want you can do this by hand.

Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
Form the loaves and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45
minutes. Bake at 375 F to 190 F internal temperature, about 40-45
minutes depending on loaf size.

I like to spread it with some mascarpone cheese.

Reg

Kate Connally wrote:

> Last year my sister bought some chocolate cherry bread
> at Panera. This was at the end of September. It was
> delicious. It was made like cinnamon bread - i.e.
> with a dried cherry and chopped chocolate filling and
> rolled up. The bread dough itself was chocolate.

Chocolate Cherry Bread

This is a relatively slow rising bread with a slightly dense crumb.

2 C bread flour
1 1/2 C water
1/4 t active dry yeast

Mix the above sponge. Let it rise for 6 - 8 hours. If you're
in a hurry you can speed it up by using 1/2 t yeast, which will
shorten the rise time. You want to use the sponge when it's
bubbled up but not before it starts to fall back down on
itself.

2 C flour
2 1/2 t active dry yeast
5 T sugar
6 T dark unsweetened cocoa (darkest makes for best loaf color)
8 T butter, softened
2 t salt
4 oz sour dried cherries (approx 1 C)
6 - 8 oz chopped chocolate

Mix in the sponge and all the above ingredients except the cherriess
and chopped chocolate. Mix thoughly, about 5 minutes at medium speed.
Add the chopped chocolate and cherries and mix on low for 1 minute.
If you want you can do this by hand.

Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
Form the loaves and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45
minutes. Bake at 375 F to 190 F internal temperature, about 40-45
minutes depending on loaf size.

I like to spread it with some mascarpone cheese.

PENMART01

> Kate Connally writes:
>
>Last year my sister bought some chocolate cherry bread
>at Panera. This was at the end of September. It was
>delicious. It was made like cinnamon bread - i.e.
>with a dried cherry and chopped chocolate filling and
>rolled up. The bread dough itself was chocolate.
>
>Several weeks later I went to Panera and, not seeing it
>on the shelf, asked about it. They told me that they
>just had it in August and September, that it was a special
>bread that they only had once a year. (At least that's
>what I thought they were saying). So this year I realize
>it's August and I start thinking about getting some more
>of this bread. I go to Panera and they tell me they don't
>make it anymore, that is was a one-time thing, and it
>didn't sell very well so they're never going to have it
>again. So, I called the corporate headquarters and talk
>to a customer service rep. I tell her the above story
>and she says, oh no, that's all wrong. They might have
>it again sometime in the future but can't say when. It
>was supposedly a special "chocolate" celebration sort of
>event. I then asked for the recipe since I didn't know
>if they would ever have it again. They refused to give
>me the recipe. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal
>to get the recipe since it's not like a regular item
>and my making it myself was not going to impact their
>sales. (Too bad I no longer subscribe to Bon Appetit
>or I could write to them and get them to get the recipe
>for me. That was one of the best features of that
>magazine.)
>
>So, now I'm on a quest to get this recipe or a similar
>recipe or if it comes down to it, just fake it and make
>up my own recipe.
>
>I have a chocolate yeast bread recipe already that could
>be used and I could fake the filling. However, I thought
>it would be a good idea to see if anyone else has something
>similar to give my some ideas to work with.

Sounds like a recipe for "chocolate babka".

Add some cocoa powder to the babka dough.

Then proceed as per recipe plus add dried cherries to chocolate filling... I
would partially reconstitute the cherries. I don't think I'd much like
chocolate babka with chocolate dough, and neither do I suspect many others
would like it either... probably why it was discontinued.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> Kate Connally writes:
>
>Last year my sister bought some chocolate cherry bread
>at Panera. This was at the end of September. It was
>delicious. It was made like cinnamon bread - i.e.
>with a dried cherry and chopped chocolate filling and
>rolled up. The bread dough itself was chocolate.
>
>Several weeks later I went to Panera and, not seeing it
>on the shelf, asked about it. They told me that they
>just had it in August and September, that it was a special
>bread that they only had once a year. (At least that's
>what I thought they were saying). So this year I realize
>it's August and I start thinking about getting some more
>of this bread. I go to Panera and they tell me they don't
>make it anymore, that is was a one-time thing, and it
>didn't sell very well so they're never going to have it
>again. So, I called the corporate headquarters and talk
>to a customer service rep. I tell her the above story
>and she says, oh no, that's all wrong. They might have
>it again sometime in the future but can't say when. It
>was supposedly a special "chocolate" celebration sort of
>event. I then asked for the recipe since I didn't know
>if they would ever have it again. They refused to give
>me the recipe. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal
>to get the recipe since it's not like a regular item
>and my making it myself was not going to impact their
>sales. (Too bad I no longer subscribe to Bon Appetit
>or I could write to them and get them to get the recipe
>for me. That was one of the best features of that
>magazine.)
>
>So, now I'm on a quest to get this recipe or a similar
>recipe or if it comes down to it, just fake it and make
>up my own recipe.
>
>I have a chocolate yeast bread recipe already that could
>be used and I could fake the filling. However, I thought
>it would be a good idea to see if anyone else has something
>similar to give my some ideas to work with.

Sounds like a recipe for "chocolate babka".

Add some cocoa powder to the babka dough.

Then proceed as per recipe plus add dried cherries to chocolate filling... I
would partially reconstitute the cherries. I don't think I'd much like
chocolate babka with chocolate dough, and neither do I suspect many others
would like it either... probably why it was discontinued.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Kate Connally

Reg wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > Last year my sister bought some chocolate cherry bread
> > at Panera. This was at the end of September. It was
> > delicious. It was made like cinnamon bread - i.e.
> > with a dried cherry and chopped chocolate filling and
> > rolled up. The bread dough itself was chocolate.

> Chocolate Cherry Bread
>
> This is a relatively slow rising bread with a slightly dense crumb.
>
> 2 C bread flour
> 1 1/2 C water
> 1/4 t active dry yeast
>
> Mix the above sponge. Let it rise for 6 - 8 hours. If you're
> in a hurry you can speed it up by using 1/2 t yeast, which will
> shorten the rise time. You want to use the sponge when it's
> bubbled up but not before it starts to fall back down on
> itself.
>
> 2 C flour
> 2 1/2 t active dry yeast
> 5 T sugar
> 6 T dark unsweetened cocoa (darkest makes for best loaf color)
> 8 T butter, softened
> 2 t salt
> 4 oz sour dried cherries (approx 1 C)
> 6 - 8 oz chopped chocolate
>
> Mix in the sponge and all the above ingredients except the cherriess
> and chopped chocolate. Mix thoughly, about 5 minutes at medium speed.
> Add the chopped chocolate and cherries and mix on low for 1 minute.
> If you want you can do this by hand.
>
> Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
> Form the loaves and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45
> minutes. Bake at 375 F to 190 F internal temperature, about 40-45
> minutes depending on loaf size.
>
> I like to spread it with some mascarpone cheese.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Thanks, Reg. This sounds like a good recipe. It's not
exactly what I was looking for but can be adapted.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Reg wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > Last year my sister bought some chocolate cherry bread
> > at Panera. This was at the end of September. It was
> > delicious. It was made like cinnamon bread - i.e.
> > with a dried cherry and chopped chocolate filling and
> > rolled up. The bread dough itself was chocolate.

> Chocolate Cherry Bread
>
> This is a relatively slow rising bread with a slightly dense crumb.
>
> 2 C bread flour
> 1 1/2 C water
> 1/4 t active dry yeast
>
> Mix the above sponge. Let it rise for 6 - 8 hours. If you're
> in a hurry you can speed it up by using 1/2 t yeast, which will
> shorten the rise time. You want to use the sponge when it's
> bubbled up but not before it starts to fall back down on
> itself.
>
> 2 C flour
> 2 1/2 t active dry yeast
> 5 T sugar
> 6 T dark unsweetened cocoa (darkest makes for best loaf color)
> 8 T butter, softened
> 2 t salt
> 4 oz sour dried cherries (approx 1 C)
> 6 - 8 oz chopped chocolate
>
> Mix in the sponge and all the above ingredients except the cherriess
> and chopped chocolate. Mix thoughly, about 5 minutes at medium speed.
> Add the chopped chocolate and cherries and mix on low for 1 minute.
> If you want you can do this by hand.
>
> Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
> Form the loaves and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45
> minutes. Bake at 375 F to 190 F internal temperature, about 40-45
> minutes depending on loaf size.
>
> I like to spread it with some mascarpone cheese.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Thanks, Reg. This sounds like a good recipe. It's not
exactly what I was looking for but can be adapted.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Reg

Kate Connally wrote:

> Thanks, Reg. This sounds like a good recipe. It's not
> exactly what I was looking for but can be adapted.

Feel free to play around with it, it's pretty forgiving. I
usually never make it exactly the same way myself.

One thing I like to do with the chocolate cherry dough is
combine it with a standard brioche dough for a two tone
effect. When shaping the final loaf, first flatten out the
light dough, then put the flattened dark dough right on top
of it. Roll it up into a spiral, shape the ends, and pan it
seam side down.

Reg

Kate Connally wrote:

> Thanks, Reg. This sounds like a good recipe. It's not
> exactly what I was looking for but can be adapted.

Feel free to play around with it, it's pretty forgiving. I
usually never make it exactly the same way myself.

One thing I like to do with the chocolate cherry dough is
combine it with a standard brioche dough for a two tone
effect. When shaping the final loaf, first flatten out the
light dough, then put the flattened dark dough right on top
of it. Roll it up into a spiral, shape the ends, and pan it
seam side down.

Choc Cherry Cheesecake....... PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 0 09-09-2009 05:56 AM
bread machine recipe for slow yeast? linda General Cooking 11 01-07-2007 06:05 PM
Panera Bread D.Currie General Cooking 40 09-05-2006 07:14 AM
Bread Pudding recipe wanted Cora H Parry General Cooking 26 01-07-2004 02:38 PM
atkins zucchini bread recipe wanted \Piedmont\ General Cooking 3 09-06-2004 11:49 PM