Cora H Parry

Default Bread Pudding recipe wanted

Hi,
I haven't check this group in a while so maybe what I am looking for is
already here.
Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good recipe for
plain bread pudding.
Thanks
Cora

--
Success Comes To Those Who Hustle Wisely

Michel Boucher

"Cora H Parry" > wrote in
:

> Hi,
> I haven't check this group in a while so maybe what I am looking
> for is already here.
> Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good
> recipe for plain bread pudding.

Plain Bread Pudding

Take day old white bread, preferably crusty bread, butter each slice on
both sides. Layer in bread pan, starting with bread, adding brown
sugar and if desired, raisins or currants, bread, sugar (again fruit if
desired), bread. Add 1 beaten egg and a cup of scalded milk.

Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until top is medium golden brown. Serve
with maple syrup of your choice.

--

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Gimli, son of Gloín
Vox Humana

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Cora H Parry" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Hi,
> > I haven't check this group in a while so maybe what I am looking
> > for is already here.
> > Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good
> > recipe for plain bread pudding.

> Plain Bread Pudding
>
> Take day old white bread, preferably crusty bread, butter each slice on
> both sides. Layer in bread pan, starting with bread, adding brown
> sugar and if desired, raisins or currants, bread, sugar (again fruit if
> desired), bread. Add 1 beaten egg and a cup of scalded milk.
>
> Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until top is medium golden brown. Serve
> with maple syrup of your choice.

One egg to a cup of dairy seems kind of skimpy to me. I also don't see why
you would have to scald the milk. I like one egg per half cup of dairy,
preferably half and half or light cream. I also like to let the bread soak
in the mix for a while before baking. Instead of white bread, I like
challah or brioche. Day old cinnamon rolls are another good choice. (I
recently saw a version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!) I would
also add some vanilla or some bourbon.

Michel Boucher

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>> "Cora H Parry" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I haven't check this group in a while so maybe what I am
>> > looking for is already here.
>> > Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good
>> > recipe for plain bread pudding.

>> Plain Bread Pudding

> One egg to a cup of dairy seems kind of skimpy to me. I also
> don't see why you would have to scald the milk. I like one egg
> per half cup of dairy, preferably half and half or light cream. I
> also like to let the bread soak in the mix for a while before
> baking. Instead of white bread, I like challah or brioche. Day
> old cinnamon rolls are another good choice. (I recently saw a
> version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!) I would also
> add some vanilla or some bourbon.

Debate as you might, the poster requested a plain bread pudding
recipe, not a Cordon Bleu concoction or a Kalifornia kweezeen
variation. What I did was provide a plain bread pudding recipe. You
are free to provide your own, but be advised that my mother made this
simple recipe every time she made bread pudding and strangely enough,
no one pointed to flaws in the design, perhaps because it is what it
is, a plain bread pudding recipe.

As for egg to dairy, those were her measurements and they always
worked out fine.

--

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Gimli, son of Gloín
Vox Humana

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>
> > "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> >> "Cora H Parry" > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Plain Bread Pudding

> > One egg to a cup of dairy seems kind of skimpy to me. I also
> > don't see why you would have to scald the milk. I like one egg
> > per half cup of dairy, preferably half and half or light cream. I
> > also like to let the bread soak in the mix for a while before
> > baking. Instead of white bread, I like challah or brioche. Day
> > old cinnamon rolls are another good choice. (I recently saw a
> > version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!) I would also
> > add some vanilla or some bourbon.

> Debate as you might, the poster requested a plain bread pudding
> recipe, not a Cordon Bleu concoction or a Kalifornia kweezeen
> variation. What I did was provide a plain bread pudding recipe. You
> are free to provide your own, but be advised that my mother made this
> simple recipe every time she made bread pudding and strangely enough,
> no one pointed to flaws in the design, perhaps because it is what it
> is, a plain bread pudding recipe.
>
> As for egg to dairy, those were her measurements and they always
> worked out fine.

I didn't say it wouldn't work. I just don't think it would be very good.
Wonder bread, milk, one egg and some sugar - not my idea of bread pudding.
Most people tend to accept what they grow up with, so I have no doubt that
your family found your mother's bread pudding acceptable. You have to do a
lot to that before you cross into Cordon Bleu territory. I still don't see
any reason the scald the milk when you are making custard.

Wayne

Michel Boucher > wrote in
:

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>>> "Cora H Parry" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Plain Bread Pudding

>> One egg to a cup of dairy seems kind of skimpy to me. I also
>> don't see why you would have to scald the milk. I like one egg
>> per half cup of dairy, preferably half and half or light cream. I
>> also like to let the bread soak in the mix for a while before
>> baking. Instead of white bread, I like challah or brioche. Day
>> old cinnamon rolls are another good choice. (I recently saw a
>> version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!) I would also
>> add some vanilla or some bourbon.

> Debate as you might, the poster requested a plain bread pudding
> recipe, not a Cordon Bleu concoction or a Kalifornia kweezeen
> variation. What I did was provide a plain bread pudding recipe.

What you did was provide a typical UK-style "Bread and Butter Pudding"
recipe, which is one of my favorites and also my preference over the
typical "bread pudding". Bread Pudding seldom specifies whole slices of
bread spread with butter and layered. More often than not, it specifies
smallish cubes of bread or even bread that has been soaked, then squeezed
nearly dry and then beaten into the egg/milk/cream custard.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Michel Boucher

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> I didn't say it wouldn't work. I just don't think it would be
> very good.

Obviously you haven't tried it, so how would you know?

> Wonder bread, milk, one egg and some sugar - not my
> idea of bread pudding.

I said day-old crusty, not Wonderbread. Getcher facts straight, if
you're going to insist on starting arguments.

> Most people tend to accept what they grow
> up with, so I have no doubt that your family found your mother's
> bread pudding acceptable.

More than acceptable. I have eaten others more like those you have
suggested and not liked them better. It isn't because it's my
mother's, it's because it's good.

> You have to do a lot to that before you
> cross into Cordon Bleu territory.

Who would want to do THAT? For one thing I said that it WASN'T a
Cordon Bleu recipe. So why bring it up?

> I still don't see any reason the
> scald the milk when you are making custard.

Ok, you don't.

--

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Gimli, son of Gloín
MareCat

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:30:40 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Cora H Parry" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I haven't check this group in a while so maybe what I am looking
>> > for is already here.
>> > Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good
>> > recipe for plain bread pudding.

>> Plain Bread Pudding
>>
>> Take day old white bread, preferably crusty bread, butter each slice on
>> both sides. Layer in bread pan, starting with bread, adding brown
>> sugar and if desired, raisins or currants, bread, sugar (again fruit if
>> desired), bread. Add 1 beaten egg and a cup of scalded milk.
>>
>> Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until top is medium golden brown. Serve
>> with maple syrup of your choice.

>One egg to a cup of dairy seems kind of skimpy to me. I also don't see why
>you would have to scald the milk. I like one egg per half cup of dairy,
>preferably half and half or light cream. I also like to let the bread soak
>in the mix for a while before baking. Instead of white bread, I like
>challah or brioche. Day old cinnamon rolls are another good choice. (I
>recently saw a version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!) I would
>also add some vanilla or some bourbon.

King's Hawaiian bread is also good.
Nancy Young

Vox Humana wrote:
> (I recently saw a version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!)

Did that make your teeth curl or what? It was unwatchable. And
when she made a glaze with a box of powdered sugar and poured it over
the pudding, I had to leave the room.

nancy
Derek N.P.F. Juhl

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >. ..

> I recently saw a version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!

Bill Nicholson's Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Butter Rum Sauce
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Southern BBQ Two

Yield: about 12 servings

2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 (4.5-ounce) cans fruit cocktail (undrained)
2 eggs, beaten
1 (9-ounce) box raisins
1 pinch salt
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Butter Rum Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cube donuts into a large bowl. Pour other ingredients on top of donuts
and let soak for a few minutes. Mix all ingredients together until
donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible.

Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled. Top with Butter Rum
Sauce.

Butter Rum Sauce:

1 stick butter
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
Rum, to taste

Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and heat
until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.

Derek Juhl

Dimitri

"Cora H Parry" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I haven't check this group in a while so maybe what I am looking for is
> already here.
> Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good recipe for
> plain bread pudding.
> Thanks
> Cora
>
> --
> Success Comes To Those Who Hustle Wisely

# 1

6 slices whole white bread
1 1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. melted margarine
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. nuts
5 eggs, slightly beaten
1 c. honey
2 1/2 c. coarsely chopped cranberries

Toast bread and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place cubes in buttered 9 inch
square baking dish. Scald milk, add melted margarine and pour this over the
cubes. Let stand 15 minutes.

Steamed # 2

1 c. molasses
1 c. warm water
1 qt. cranberries (3 1/2 c.)
3 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Mix together all the batter ingredients in a large bowl. Butter two 16
ounce coffee cans. Split the batter between the two cans. Cover tightly
with foil. Steam in the oven at 275 degrees for 2 hours. No water is
needed.SAUCE:

2 c. sugar
1 c. butter (use butter)
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Blend all sauce ingredients in a small pan. Heat until boiling. Serve
warm. Slice bread and pour the sauce over each piece served.

Dimitri

Vox Humana

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
> > (I recently saw a version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!)

> Did that make your teeth curl or what? It was unwatchable. And
> when she made a glaze with a box of powdered sugar and poured it over
> the pudding, I had to leave the room.

I found it surreal. Much of the food that she has is over-the-top in my
opinion.

Nancy Young

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > Vox Humana wrote:
> > > (I recently saw a version made with day old Krispy Cream doughnuts!)

> > Did that make your teeth curl or what? It was unwatchable. And
> > when she made a glaze with a box of powdered sugar and poured it over
> > the pudding, I had to leave the room.

> I found it surreal. Much of the food that she has is over-the-top in my
> opinion.

I know. I put her show on because I find her endearing, but I have
not often been tempted to try her recipes. Too sweet or too much
butter. I like butter and sweet desserts as much as anyone, but
I have my limits.

She was funny in the Krispy Kreme store, getting 20 donuts in a box
meant for 12. Made me laugh, anyway. Goofy.

nancy
Vox Humana

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:

> > > Did that make your teeth curl or what? It was unwatchable. And
> > > when she made a glaze with a box of powdered sugar and poured it over
> > > the pudding, I had to leave the room.

> > I found it surreal. Much of the food that she has is over-the-top in my
> > opinion.

> I know. I put her show on because I find her endearing, but I have
> not often been tempted to try her recipes. Too sweet or too much
> butter. I like butter and sweet desserts as much as anyone, but
> I have my limits.
>
> She was funny in the Krispy Kreme store, getting 20 donuts in a box
> meant for 12. Made me laugh, anyway. Goofy.

I watch her because of her personality and the goofy things she does - and
because PBS is still showing quilting and woodworking shows at that time on
Saturday monings. Much of her food fits into that new "semi-homemade"
category and doesn't appeal to me. I wonder if that's how they do thing in
her restaurant? I love sweet desserts, but I tend to draw the line at
glazed Krispy Kream doughnuts. They do make my teeth hurt! And that recipe
had sweetened condensed milk in addition to the doughnuts!

Karen O'Mara

"Cora H Parry" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
> I haven't check this group in a while so maybe what I am looking for is
> already here.
> Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good recipe for
> plain bread pudding.
> Thanks
> Cora

I have an *UN*plain bread pudding recipe. Just had this last week.
Hard sauce is good, too... but the Amaretto sauce is great.

Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce
(makes 12 -or more- servings)

1 loaf stale french bread, cut or torn into 2" pieces.
6 eggs
1 quart milk (or half-n-half is much better)
1/2 cup Sugar, I used 1/2 brown 1/2 white, and a little more.
2 tbs amaretto, (I use more)
1 cup raisins, or chopped dried apricots, I used more
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 lb semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of cinnamon mixed with a little sugar
1 batch Amaretto Sauce, see below

Amaretto sauce
1 stick butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup or more of amaretto, or other liqueur.

Bread Pudding:
Preheat oven to 375. soak bread in milk. Add sugar, vanilla, and
dried fruit (soak fruit in amaretto - I use enough liquid to cover
fruit and stir it occasionally, and add all to recipe). Add eggs (I
whip them up before adding), and chocolate chips, chopped nuts if
wanted. Mix lightly, and pour into a well buttered 9x13 baking dish.
Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mix on top.

Bake for 30-45 minutes, till it gets a little crispy on top. Remove
from oven. While hot, poke holes in pudding with the end of a wooden
spoon. Pour hot Amaretto Sauce over bread pudding to penetrate the
pudding as well as glaze the top.

Amaretto Sauce:
In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add sugar, stirring
constantly. Whisk in amaretto and heat slowly for one or two minutes.

Karen

Sam D.

"Cora H Parry" > wrote in message

> Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good recipe for
> plain bread pudding.

This would fit into the category of plain bread pudding. I have made it
several times and it is a winner.

Golden Nugget Bread Pudding

The famous bread pudding served at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas.

16 oz. half & half
8 oz. whipping cream
8 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 slices white bread
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
2 tblsp. raisins

Mix well the half & half, whipping cream, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Arrange
bread on bottom of pan. Pour liquid over bread. Mix cinnamon with 1 tsp.
sugar and sprinkle over bread. Spread raisins over top. Cover with foil,
bake in water bath at 400 for 75 to 90 minutes.

Vox Humana

"Sam D." > wrote in message

> "Cora H Parry" > wrote in message
> >
> > Does anyone have a recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding or a good recipe

for
> > plain bread pudding.

> This would fit into the category of plain bread pudding. I have made it
> several times and it is a winner.
>
> Golden Nugget Bread Pudding
>
> The famous bread pudding served at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas.
>
> 16 oz. half & half
> 8 oz. whipping cream
> 8 eggs
> 1 1/4 cups sugar
> 1/4 tsp. vanilla
> 4 1/2 slices white bread
> 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
> 1 tsp. sugar
> 2 tblsp. raisins
>
> Mix well the half & half, whipping cream, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.

Arrange
> bread on bottom of pan. Pour liquid over bread. Mix cinnamon with 1 tsp.
> sugar and sprinkle over bread. Spread raisins over top. Cover with foil,
> bake in water bath at 400 for 75 to 90 minutes.

Now that's my idea of bread pudding - 8 eggs, half & half, and whipping
cream.

Karen O'Mara

Michel Boucher > wrote in message >. ..
> More than acceptable. I have eaten others more like those you have
> suggested and not liked them better. It isn't because it's my
> mother's, it's because it's good.

Sometimes, the simplest/plainest of dishes and recipes are just what
the doctor ordered, I agree! (Sometimes you feel like a nut, and
sometimes you don't!)

Karen

Vox Humana

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:19:26 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Sam D." > wrote in message

> >> 16 oz. half & half
> >> 8 oz. whipping cream
> >> 8 eggs
> >> 1 1/4 cups sugar
> >> 1/4 tsp. vanilla
> >> 4 1/2 slices white bread
> >> 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
> >> 1 tsp. sugar
> >> 2 tblsp. raisins

> >Now that's my idea of bread pudding - 8 eggs, half & half, and whipping
> >cream....

> ...and hardly any bread at all.

I suppose it depends on how big the sliced are. You could always substitute
cinnamon rolls or Danish.

Vox Humana

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:03:01 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >news
> >> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:19:26 GMT, "Vox Humana"

whipping

> >> ...and hardly any bread at all.

> >I suppose it depends on how big the sliced are. You could always

substitute
> >cinnamon rolls or Danish.

> Since it's not specified, I'm assuming Wonder Bread-type stuff.
> You have to admit that's not a lot of bread considering the rest
> of the ingredients. You may as well just leave the bread out ;-)

It's the custard that makes or breaks bread pudding, in my opinion. I
really dislike recipes that don't give definite measurements. It would be
better if they said x cups of cubed bread or x oz. If it is sandwich bread,
it isn't much. One reason to soak the bread for some time is to judge if
you have enough. If, after an hour or so you have a lot of custard, then
you can add more bread.

Derek N.P.F. Juhl

Donna Rose > wrote in message nk.net>...

> > Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
> >

> <recipe snipped>
>
> Good lord, I do agree most of her recipes use way too much sugar and/or
> butter, but this is just over the top! I love sweet things, but this
> makes my teeth hurt just reading this recipe.

As Paula dumped the sweetened condensed milk and/or the fruit cocktail
with the syrup onto the Krispy Kremes, she said with emphasis, "There
is no added sugar in this recipe."

After she mixed melted the butter and the powdered sugar for the
sauce, she whipped out a flask of rum and started free-pouring.

When she tasted the finished pudding, she looked into the camera and
said to Bill Nicholson, who gave her the recipe, "You are a BAD BOY,
Bill Nicholson! You need a SPANKING, 'cause you are a BAD BOY!!!"

That was the same episode in which she deep fried biscuits and
injected them with honey butter.

It was one of the funniest Food TV shows I've seen recently.

Derek Juhl

Vox Humana

"Derek N.P.F. Juhl" > wrote in message
om...
> Donna Rose > wrote in message

nk.net>...

> > > Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
> > >

> > <recipe snipped>
> >
> > Good lord, I do agree most of her recipes use way too much sugar and/or
> > butter, but this is just over the top! I love sweet things, but this
> > makes my teeth hurt just reading this recipe.

> As Paula dumped the sweetened condensed milk and/or the fruit cocktail
> with the syrup onto the Krispy Kremes, she said with emphasis, "There
> is no added sugar in this recipe."
>
> After she mixed melted the butter and the powdered sugar for the
> sauce, she whipped out a flask of rum and started free-pouring.
>
> When she tasted the finished pudding, she looked into the camera and
> said to Bill Nicholson, who gave her the recipe, "You are a BAD BOY,
> Bill Nicholson! You need a SPANKING, 'cause you are a BAD BOY!!!"
>
> That was the same episode in which she deep fried biscuits and
> injected them with honey butter.
>
> It was one of the funniest Food TV shows I've seen recently.
>
> Derek Juhl

I think the reason that I like her is that she has a good sense of humor and
doesn't take herself seriously. What I find interesting is that she was so
agoraphobic (or is it xenophobic?) when she was young, that she seldom left
the house. Apparently she had a business making boxed lunches and her kids
delivered them on their bicycles. It seems hard to believe when you watch
her now.

Nancy Young

Vox Humana wrote:

> I think the reason that I like her is that she has a good sense of humor and
> doesn't take herself seriously. What I find interesting is that she was so
> agoraphobic (or is it xenophobic?) when she was young, that she seldom left
> the house. Apparently she had a business making boxed lunches and her kids
> delivered them on their bicycles. It seems hard to believe when you watch
> her now.

I had forgotten about that. That is quite an accomplishment. I'm
happy for her. She's a lot of fun.

nancy