Mabry

Default ?Loaf pan material-effect on browning sides of yeast bread?

Please compare the browning effects on the SIDES of a loaf of
hypothetical yeast bread in a loaf pan made from the following materials
for me. There must be some good reasons for choosing one over the
other. (Admittedly, some are good for anything else but browning the
sides of a yeast bread.) TIA

Aluminum
Stainless Steel
Glass
Unglazed & glazed terra cotta
Ceramic
Silicone
Iron

-Mabry-

PENMART01

"Mabry" writes:

>Please compare the browning effects on the SIDES of a loaf of
>hypothetical yeast bread in a loaf pan made from the following materials
>for me. There must be some good reasons for choosing one over the
>other. (Admittedly, some are good for anything else but browning the
>sides of a yeast bread.) TIA
>
>Aluminum - passable in a pinch
>Stainless Steel - shit
>Glass - crap
>Unglazed - unglazed what, ham?
>& glazed - glazed donuts?
>Ceramic - ?
>Silicone - um, fake boobs are better than no boobs
>Iron - cast, wrought, what?

For yeast bread baking an uncoated, heavy-weight, well-blackened carbon steel
loaf pan is best of the lot... or no pan at all.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Mike Pearce

"Mabry" wrote in message news:I3gIb.44661$J77.43243@fed1read07...

> Please compare the browning effects on the SIDES of a loaf of
> hypothetical yeast bread in a loaf pan made from the following materials
> for me.

> Aluminum
> Stainless Steel
> Glass
> Unglazed & glazed terra cotta
> Ceramic
> Silicone
> Iron

I usually make free form loaves so I don't have a lot of experience with
pans. I've got two types of bread pans, aluminum and aluminum with a
non-stick interior. I've found that the plain aluminum pans brown much
better than the non-stick. The bread I make with the non-stick pan comes out
with a very pale crust on the sides. There might be a way to get around
this, but I don't use pans enough to bother trying to figure it out.

-Mike

Dee Randall

My answer for cooking in a cast iron (not coating) bread pan -- I never was
able to get it seasoned well enough to cook a loaf of bread in without the
bread tasting like the cast iron pan. Yuk!

Hence, one cast iron loaf pan standing by for the bottom rack of the oven
for water when I bake bread on a stone. Maybe that was what it was really
intended for. Ha!

My experience has been that getting a good crust with glass loaf pans on the
sides is not good.
Actually my experience for getting a "good crust" on any loaf pans is not
good. My main concern about baking a loaf of bread in a pan is whether I
will get it out. So I prefer the ole stone in the oven device for getting a
good crust.

I think any enclosed pan will tend to not let the sides of the bread make a
crust.

But I would recommend the bread maker pan (I don't know what they are made
of) for the sides of a bread crusting, whereas you can regulate your crust
from light, medium or dark.

As someone asked, can I put the bread maker pan in the oven? Well, I sure
as heck wouldn't.

Dee