ron doctors

Default bread burst sides

I have been baking bread for a long, long time and keep finding that
the top and sides will split open erraticaly. I put cuts in the top
and they help but often I get an "explosive" look to the loaves. I
bake on a stone in a 425 oven and then change to 375 after 15 minutes.
I bake two loaves side by side. The bread is a 60/40 mix of white and
whole wheat hard high gluten flour . I do all the processing by hand,
the first raise is overnight in a cool kitchen. The yeast is from a
starter that I made years ago.
It is fantastic bread with a great sour taste but I would like more
conmtrol over the appearance.
Ideas please or questions...
Thank you .
wesley

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:31:47 -0800, ron doctors wrote:

> I have been baking bread for a long, long time and keep finding that
> the top and sides will split open erraticaly. I put cuts in the top
> and they help but often I get an "explosive" look to the loaves. I
> bake on a stone in a 425 oven and then change to 375 after 15 minutes.
> I bake two loaves side by side. The bread is a 60/40 mix of white and
> whole wheat hard high gluten flour . I do all the processing by hand,
> the first raise is overnight in a cool kitchen. The yeast is from a
> starter that I made years ago.
> It is fantastic bread with a great sour taste but I would like more
> conmtrol over the appearance.
> Ideas please or questions...
> Thank you .

Burst breads as you describe are generally the result of an inadequate
amount of time being allowed for the formed loaf to rise before going into
the oven.

Short Rib Sides? The Ranger[_2_] General Cooking 26 06-02-2008 06:03 PM
2 Sides Of The Holidays [email protected] Vegan 1 04-12-2005 11:27 PM
Triple Berry Burst Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:19 PM
2 Sides Of The Holidays Fidyl Vegan 1 04-12-2004 06:04 PM
?Loaf pan material-effect on browning sides of yeast bread? Mabry General Cooking 3 01-01-2004 04:24 PM