GoombaP

Default Condensed candy

The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called Candy
Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a can of
sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling water. Boil for
10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool, refrigerate 'til cold,
then open the can. The caramalized content tastes great on ice cream, graham
crackers, etc.

Wayne

"GoombaP" > wrote in
:

> The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called Candy
> Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a can of
> sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling water.
> Boil for 10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool,
> refrigerate 'til cold, then open the can. The caramalized content
> tastes great on ice cream, graham crackers, etc.

My mom used to something similar, but she cooked the can in a pressure
cooker for 3 hours. She often used it as a pie filling with sliced
bananas. Delicious!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"GoombaP" > wrote in
:

> The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called Candy
> Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a can of
> sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling water.
> Boil for 10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool,
> refrigerate 'til cold, then open the can. The caramalized content
> tastes great on ice cream, graham crackers, etc.

My mom used to something similar, but she cooked the can in a pressure
cooker for 3 hours. She often used it as a pie filling with sliced
bananas. Delicious!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Puester > wrote in
:

> GoombaP wrote:
>>
>> The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called
>> Candy Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a
>> can of sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling
>> water. Boil for 10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool,
>> refrigerate 'til cold, then open the can. The caramalized content
>> tastes great on ice cream, graham crackers, etc.

> Now-a-days it's generally called "Dulce de Leche".
> Haagen Dazs makes an addictive Dulce de Leche ice cream.
>
> gloria p

Here in the Southwest there is another brand (can't remember the name) of
sweetened condensed milk that is already caramelized. It's usually
merchandised right next to the Eagle Brand.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Pennyaline

"Wayne" wrote:
> Here in the Southwest there is another brand (can't remember the name) of
> sweetened condensed milk that is already caramelized. It's usually
> merchandised right next to the Eagle Brand.

Yes, yes there is! I also can't remember the name... my mind's eye sees one
of the Mexican or South American brands, and it's labeled (besides the brand
name) as dulce de leche...

I think I have to go to the store!

Miche

In article >,
"GoombaP" > wrote:

> The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called Candy
> Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a can of
> sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling water. Boil for
> 10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool, refrigerate 'til cold,
> then open the can. The caramalized content tastes great on ice cream, graham
> crackers, etc.

10 hours sounds a bit over the top. Two or three should be sufficient.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

GoombaP

Go ahead then, try it. But once the can is opened you're SOL.

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "GoombaP" > wrote:
>
> > The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called Candy
> > Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a can of
> > sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling water. Boil

for
> > 10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool, refrigerate 'til

cold,
> > then open the can. The caramalized content tastes great on ice cream,

graham
> > crackers, etc.

> 10 hours sounds a bit over the top. Two or three should be sufficient.
>
> Miche
>
> --
> If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
> -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Wayne

Miche > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "GoombaP" > wrote:
>
>> The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called
>> Candy Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a
>> can of sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling
>> water. Boil for 10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool,
>> refrigerate 'til cold, then open the can. The caramalized content
>> tastes great on ice cream, graham crackers, etc.

> 10 hours sounds a bit over the top. Two or three should be
> sufficient.
>
> Miche

IMHO, it probably does take 10 hours if you're just boiling in a kettle
of water. It takes 3 hours in a pressure cooker, which is the way we
have done it. It's done to thicken the milk to an almost spreadable
consistency, not just caramelize it. The caramelized version you can buy
is probably pourable.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Peggy Sullivan

Wayne wrote:
> Miche > wrote in
> :
>

>>In article >,
>> "GoombaP" > wrote:
>>

>>>The first thing I learned to cook was something my mother called
>>>Candy Florida, a simple, delicious, energy-inefficient recipe. Take a
>>>can of sweetened condensed milk and drop it in a big pot of boiling
>>>water. Boil for 10 hours (being sure to add water as needed). Cool,
>>>refrigerate 'til cold, then open the can. The caramalized content
>>>tastes great on ice cream, graham crackers, etc.

>>10 hours sounds a bit over the top. Two or three should be
>>sufficient.
>>
>>Miche
>>

> IMHO, it probably does take 10 hours if you're just boiling in a kettle
> of water. It takes 3 hours in a pressure cooker, which is the way we
> have done it. It's done to thicken the milk to an almost spreadable
> consistency, not just caramelize it. The caramelized version you can buy
> is probably pourable.

Here is a link to an old article at Google Groups that has probably the
definitive rfc directions. A Google Group search turns up lots of discussion.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...sfc.nasa.go v

For me, three hours at a slow boil is plenty to give a spreadable result.

Has anyone ever had a grainy consistency result? It happened to me once,
using a can of store brand sweetened condensed milk (maybe too long at the store?).

Peggy
Julie

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:36:39 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>IMHO, it probably does take 10 hours if you're just boiling in a kettle
>of water. It takes 3 hours in a pressure cooker, which is the way we
>have done it. It's done to thicken the milk to an almost spreadable
>consistency, not just caramelize it. The caramelized version you can buy
>is probably pourable.

I've made this in the past and I seem to recall that it took around
four hours in just a boiling pan of water.

--

Julie S

S.Dunlap

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message >...
> "Wayne" wrote:
> > Here in the Southwest there is another brand (can't remember the name) of
> > sweetened condensed milk that is already caramelized. It's usually
> > merchandised right next to the Eagle Brand.

> Yes, yes there is! I also can't remember the name... my mind's eye sees one
> of the Mexican or South American brands, and it's labeled (besides the brand
> name) as dulce de leche...
>
> I think I have to go to the store!

Nestle makes Dulce de Leche in a can - along with Crema de leche
(heavy cream) and condensed milk

Sandi
S.Dunlap