Mark Thorson

Default What Do You Use A Meat Press For?

What do you use a press like this for?

(Note that this link is to an eBay auction that has ended,
it's not some lame attempt to scare up bidders for it.)

Yeah, sure you can press juice out of half an orange
with it, but what can you do with it that involves meat?

Reg

Mark Thorson wrote:

> What do you use a press like this for?

I have a press similar to this that I use to make cheese. Obviously
it would work for making fruit juices, etc. I'm really curious as to how
it would be used on meat though.

Curly Sue

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:06:44 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>What do you use a press like this for?
>
>(Note that this link is to an eBay auction that has ended,
>it's not some lame attempt to scare up bidders for it.)
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...568988 1&rd=1
>
>Yeah, sure you can press juice out of half an orange
>with it, but what can you do with it that involves meat?

I don't know about that one specifically, but in our food science labs
we used a Carver press (a *serious* hydraulic press) for meat to
compare various cooking methods with regard to juciness. In other
words, prepare the meat in different ways, cut off a piece, weigh it,
put it between absorbant material, press it in the machine, then weigh
the resulting meat "wafer" afterwards to see how much juice was
extracted.

Sue(tm)
Mark Thorson

Steve Wertz wrote:

> It's for making pucks of ground meat. AKA Hamburgers.
> Crazy, huh?

I don't get it. You don't need a screw press to
compress a hamburger, at least not normally.
They hold together just fine in the pan,
just having been shaped by hand.
Maybe after it's fried, you could squeeze the
fat out of it, but you'd lose the juice too.
It would be terribly dry.

Frogleg

wrote:

>What do you use a press like this for?
>
>(Note that this link is to an eBay auction that has ended,
>it's not some lame attempt to scare up bidders for it.)
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...568988 1&rd=1
>
>Yeah, sure you can press juice out of half an orange
>with it, but what can you do with it that involves meat?

Well, there are duck presses designed to press all the juices out of a
duck carcass. Googling on "meat press" also turned up something about
making 'lunchmeat' sorts of compressed ingredients.

Margaret Suran

Frogleg wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:06:44 GMT, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>

>>What do you use a press like this for?
>>
>>(Note that this link is to an eBay auction that has ended,
>>it's not some lame attempt to scare up bidders for it.)
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...568988 1&rd=1
>>
>>Yeah, sure you can press juice out of half an orange
>>with it, but what can you do with it that involves meat?

> Well, there are duck presses designed to press all the juices out of a
> duck carcass. Googling on "meat press" also turned up something about
> making 'lunchmeat' sorts of compressed ingredients.

Meat presses were used, amongst other uses, to extract meat juices for
diets for invalids.

Here is a recipe from the 1941 edition of The settlement Cook Book

Beef Tea

Select 1/2 lb of beef steak from upper part of round or the rump. Cut
into small pieces. Broil or warm slightly 1 or 2 minutes to set free
the juices, then squeeze out the juice by means of a press or lemon
juicer.......

PENMART01

http://www.EarthLink.net

>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:06:44 GMT, Mark Thorson >
>wrote:
>
>>What do you use a press like this for?
>>
>>(Note that this link is to an eBay auction that has ended,
>>it's not some lame attempt to scare up bidders for it.)
>>

>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&item=61056898

81&rd=1

>>Yeah, sure you can press juice out of half an orange
>>with it, but what can you do with it that involves meat?

>Well, there are duck presses designed to press all the juices out of a
>duck carcass. Googling on "meat press" also turned up something about
>making 'lunchmeat' sorts of compressed ingredients.

'Zactly... those contraptions were used to compress various potted meats into
cakes, often with dried fruit and nuts, an early method of preparing food for
traveling.

http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product.php/110/0/

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Frogleg
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:47:11 GMT
http://www.EarthLink.net

>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:06:44 GMT, Mark Thorson >
>wrote:
>
>>What do you use a press like this for?
>>
>>(Note that this link is to an eBay auction that has ended,
>>it's not some lame attempt to scare up bidders for it.)
>>

>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&item=61056898

81&rd=1

>>Yeah, sure you can press juice out of half an orange
>>with it, but what can you do with it that involves meat?

>Well, there are duck presses designed to press all the juices out of a
>duck carcass. Googling on "meat press" also turned up something about
>making 'lunchmeat' sorts of compressed ingredients.

'Zactly... those contraptions were used to compress various potted meats into
cakes, often with dried fruit and nuts, an early method of preparing food for
traveling.

http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product.php/110/0/

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Mike Stith

It's for pressed duck--

See "From Julia Child's Kitchen", page 243.

You roast 2 ducks, carve off the breasts, remove the legs, then take the
remnants and put them in the press. The crushing action extracts the
meat juices which are then used to make the sauce for the duck.

Mark Thorson wrote:
> What do you use a press like this for?
>
> (Note that this link is to an eBay auction that has ended,
> it's not some lame attempt to scare up bidders for it.)
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...568988 1&rd=1
>
> Yeah, sure you can press juice out of half an orange
> with it, but what can you do with it that involves meat?

Blair P. Houghton

Adding mass onto your meat.

--Blair
"But watch out for repetitive-motion
injuries."

Blair P. Houghton

Adding mass onto your meat.

--Blair
"But watch out for repetitive-motion
injuries."
PENMART01

>Adding mass onto your meat.
>
>Blair

What's that, an RC circumcision?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Adding mass onto your meat.
>
>Blair

What's that, an RC circumcision?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Mark Thorson

PENMART01 wrote:

> >Adding mass onto your meat.
> >
> >Blair

> What's that, an RC circumcision?

Amazing that Sheldon would allow a thread about a MEAT PRESS
to go this long without making some profane comment, and this
only when provoked. His restraint, up to now, has been admirable.
(And uncharacteristic of him.)

Mark Thorson

PENMART01 wrote:

> >Adding mass onto your meat.
> >
> >Blair

> What's that, an RC circumcision?

Amazing that Sheldon would allow a thread about a MEAT PRESS
to go this long without making some profane comment, and this
only when provoked. His restraint, up to now, has been admirable.
(And uncharacteristic of him.)

Blair P. Houghton

Mark Thorson > wrote:
>PENMART01 wrote:
>
>> >Adding mass onto your meat.
>> >
>> >Blair

>> What's that, an RC circumcision?

>Amazing that Sheldon would allow a thread about a MEAT PRESS
>to go this long without making some profane comment, and this
>only when provoked. His restraint, up to now, has been admirable.
>(And uncharacteristic of him.)

And when he finally did come out of his thorazine-induced
fugue, the first thing he typed was gibberish.

--Blair
"Not like the rest are very different."
Blair P. Houghton