Me

Default ISO irish potato bread recipe

Does anyone have a good authentic recipe for boxty?

Thanks,
SC

Arri London

Me wrote:

> Does anyone have a good authentic recipe for boxty?
>
> Thanks,
> SC

Both from 'The Poolbeg Book of Traditional Irish Cooking'
(There are always regional variations )

Boxty on the griddle

1 to 1 1/4 lb raw peeled potatoes
1 to 1 1/4 lb freshly cooked mashed potatoes
4 oz flour
salt

Grate the peeled raw potato into a clean cloth. Place the cloth over a
bowl and twist the ends to wring out the starchy liquid. Place the wrung
potato in another bowl and cover with the mashed potatoes; to prevent
discolouration.
Allow the potato liquid to settle (starch falls to the bottom) and pour
off the clear liquid. Mix the remaining starch into the potatoes in the
other bowl.
Add the sifted flour and salt and knead as for bread.
Roll the dough out onto a floured worktop and cut into farls, squares or
circles.
Bake slowly on a griddle or cook in a heavy pan until brown on one side.
Turn over and cook the second side until brown.

Boxty in the oven

9 oz grated raw potatoes and their starch (as above)
9 oz cooked mashed potato
9 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2--3 tbs melted bacon fat
salt

Make as for griddle boxty but add the fat. Add a little buttermilk or
milk to get a firm dough.
Roll out and divide into farls. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C/350 F/
Gas mark 4 for 35 to 40 minutes.
Dimitri

"Me" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a good authentic recipe for boxty?
>
> Thanks,
> SC

Will this do?

Dimitri

1 c. leftover mashed potatoes
1 c. boiling water
2 tbsp. shortening
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 env. dry yeast
1/4 c. lukewarm water
About 4 1/2 c. sifted flour

Combine mashed potato and boiling water, blending well to make sure there
are no lumps of potato. Add shortening and stir to melt; add sugar and
salt. Cool to lukewarm. Soften yeast in the lukewarm water, add to first
mixture. Stir in the flour, adding a bit more if necessary, to make a soft,
smooth dough, firm enough to be easily handled. Knead on a floured board
until smooth, then place in a large bowl. Brush the top with melted
shortening and cover. Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. Knead
again and shape into 2 loaves. Place in greased bread tins, cover and let
rise again until doubled. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes, or
until bread tests done. Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack. Brush
tops with melted butter if a soft crust is desired. This bread keeps well
without drying out.

Me

Thanks for the recipes!!!

SC