Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Irish Soda Bread Recipe

This is the recipe I've used for years. I have had people from Ireland
comment favorably on its authenticity.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Irish Soda Bread

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Breads

5 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbs sugar
4 tbs soft butter
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 cup currants

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle a little flour over a baking sheet.

Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and work in the butter
with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly and even in texture.

Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Add egg and beat
well with a wooden spoon to distribute the egg into the buttermilk.
Continue to mix with the spoon until all the flour is wet, then knead
with your hand just to complete the mixing. Add the currants and mix
them in.

Cut the dough in half and shape each half into a ball. Put them on the
floured baking sheet at a distance from each other. With a knife dipped
in flour after each cut, make a deep cross across each loaf, almost -
but not quite - to the bottom.

Bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on wire racks and
do not cut until thoroughly cold.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Wilder[_1_] View Post
[...]

Thanks sounds great. Now I dont think they allowed currants in my part of Belfast..lol. Prob couldnt afford any or else nobody know where to buy some. Are those kin to raisins maybe? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> This is the recipe I've used for years. I have had people from Ireland
> comment favorably on its authenticity.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Irish Soda Bread
>
> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00
> Categories : Breads

> 5 cups unbleached flour
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 tsp baking powder
> 1 tsp baking soda
> 4 tbs sugar
> 4 tbs soft butter
> 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
> 1 egg 1 cup currants
>
> Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle a little flour over a baking sheet.
>
> Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and work in the butter with
> your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly and even in texture.
>
> Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Add egg and beat
> well with a wooden spoon to distribute the egg into the buttermilk.
> Continue to mix with the spoon until all the flour is wet, then knead with
> your hand just to complete the mixing. Add the currants and mix them in.
>
> Cut the dough in half and shape each half into a ball. Put them on the
> floured baking sheet at a distance from each other. With a knife dipped
> in flour after each cut, make a deep cross across each loaf, almost - but
> not quite - to the bottom.
>
> Bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on wire racks and do
> not cut until thoroughly cold.

Thanks. I don't think I've ever had a soda bread made from buttermilk.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 11:49 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> This is the recipe I've used for years. I have had people from Ireland
>> comment favorably on its authenticity.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Irish Soda Bread
>>
>> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
>> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00
>> Categories : Breads
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 5 cups unbleached flour
>> 1 tsp salt
>> 1 tsp baking powder
>> 1 tsp baking soda
>> 4 tbs sugar
>> 4 tbs soft butter
>> 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
>> 1 egg 1 cup currants
>>
>> Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle a little flour over a baking sheet.
>>
>> Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and work in the butter with
>> your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly and even in texture.
>>
>> Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Add egg and beat
>> well with a wooden spoon to distribute the egg into the buttermilk.
>> Continue to mix with the spoon until all the flour is wet, then knead with
>> your hand just to complete the mixing. Add the currants and mix them in.
>>
>> Cut the dough in half and shape each half into a ball. Put them on the
>> floured baking sheet at a distance from each other. With a knife dipped
>> in flour after each cut, make a deep cross across each loaf, almost - but
>> not quite - to the bottom.
>>
>> Bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on wire racks and do
>> not cut until thoroughly cold.

> Thanks. I don't think I've ever had a soda bread made from buttermilk.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Mine calls for buttermilk, as well.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 1:14 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> This is the recipe I've used for years. I have had people from Ireland
> comment favorably on its authenticity.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Irish Soda Bread
>
> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00
> Categories : Breads

> 5 cups unbleached flour
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 tsp baking powder
> 1 tsp baking soda
> 4 tbs sugar
> 4 tbs soft butter
> 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
> 1 egg
> 1 cup currants
>
> Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle a little flour over a baking sheet.
>
> Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and work in the butter
> with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly and even in texture.
>
> Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Add egg and beat
> well with a wooden spoon to distribute the egg into the buttermilk.
> Continue to mix with the spoon until all the flour is wet, then knead
> with your hand just to complete the mixing. Add the currants and mix
> them in.
>
> Cut the dough in half and shape each half into a ball. Put them on the
> floured baking sheet at a distance from each other. With a knife dipped
> in flour after each cut, make a deep cross across each loaf, almost -
> but not quite - to the bottom.
>
> Bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on wire racks and
> do not cut until thoroughly cold.

Sounds good! My recipe doesn't call for currants (or raisins). It does
call for ground cardamom mixed into the dry ingedients. Oh, and I don't
bother waiting until the bread is thoroughly cooled. Butter spread on
still-warm soda bread, yum!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:26:13 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Sounds good! My recipe doesn't call for currants (or raisins). It does
> call for ground cardamom mixed into the dry ingedients.

Cardamom is a wonderful addition! I used to make cardamom bread (a
riff on pulla), which made fantastic toast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 11:16 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:26:13 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Sounds good! My recipe doesn't call for currants (or raisins). It does
>> call for ground cardamom mixed into the dry ingedients.

> Cardamom is a wonderful addition! I used to make cardamom bread (a
> riff on pulla), which made fantastic toast.

I know I got the recipe from my mother. She probably got it from her
mother even though she was Scottish. It's the only way I've ever made
Irish soda bread. I seem to recall my paternal great-grandmother on was
married about five times and one of those times she married an Irishman.
Perhaps this came from grandpa's side of the family.

A good dense soda bread also makes wonderful toast.

Jill

Irish Soda Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 11-03-2008 02:38 AM
Irish Soda Bread - Looking for a good recipe Dee Randall General Cooking 18 16-03-2006 04:37 AM
Irish Soda Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:08 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2004 12:07 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Recipes 0 10-08-2004 01:58 AM