LIMEYNO1

Default PERFECTLY BOILED EGGS

Food Network: Recipes

Perfectly Boiled Eggs
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999

Recipe Summary
Cook Time: 15 minutesYield: 6 servings
1 dozen large eggs
Water to cover
Pinch salt
Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Season with a pinch
of
salt. Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 2
minutes. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Allow the eggs to sit
for
11 minutes. Drain and cool the eggs for 2 minutes in ice water. Drain
and
peel the eggs.

Episode#: EM1C66
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

--
The MoM!

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<>< ><>
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/196/145

MrAoD

LIMEYNO1" writes:
>Food Network: Recipes
>
> Perfectly Boiled Eggs
> Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999

>snip ingredients

> Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Season with a pinch
>of
> salt.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the *boggle* reaction at the concept of
"seasoning" hard-cooked eggs in the shell?

Best,

Marc

P.S. I'm well aware of the idea of raising the specific gravity of the vis a
vis the cooking medium, but that ain't seasoning.

Matt

"MrAoD" > wrote in message
> LIMEYNO1" writes:
> >Food Network: Recipes
> >
> > Perfectly Boiled Eggs

<snip>
> > Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Season with a

pinch
> >of salt.

> Is it just me or does anyone else get the *boggle* reaction at the concept

of
> "seasoning" hard-cooked eggs in the shell?
>
> Best,
>
> Marc
>
> P.S. I'm well aware of the idea of raising the specific gravity of the

vis a
> vis the cooking medium, but that ain't seasoning.

You're seasoning the water, not the eggs. The salted water will cause any
liquid emerging from a damaged egg to coagulate more rapidly (vinegar will
do this, too), hopefully plugging the gap/crack.

-Matt

On 02 Dec 2003 20:09:09 GMT, "Matt" > wrote:

>"MrAoD" > wrote in message
>> LIMEYNO1" writes:
>> >Food Network: Recipes
>> >
>> > Perfectly Boiled Eggs

><snip>

Place the eggs in a small covered bowl with hot tap water.
Cover the bowl and place in the microwave. For me two minutes on high
in a 700w oven for 2 eggs. Time with experience after the first
attempt and you will never do it any other way again.
Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.
Compmouse

Umm... ok... I think that if you're really having that much trouble simply
boiling eggs spend the extra few bucks and get yourself an egg timer or
indicator (the kind you drop in the water and it changes colour over time,
like this one: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=103760)

As for the salt/vinegar mentions they're absolutely right, you can also use
this technique when making poached eggs.

-- Compmouse
Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
"LIMEYNO1" > wrote in message
> Food Network: Recipes
>
> Perfectly Boiled Eggs
> Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999
>
> Recipe Summary
> Cook Time: 15 minutesYield: 6 servings
> 1 dozen large eggs
> Water to cover
> Pinch salt
> Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Season with a

pinch
> of
> salt. Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 2
> minutes. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Allow the eggs to

sit
> for
> 11 minutes. Drain and cool the eggs for 2 minutes in ice water.

Drain
> and
> peel the eggs.
>
> Episode#: EM1C66
> Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
>

> --
> The MoM!
>
> Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
> Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
> is the object of our faith; the only faith that
> saves is faith in Him
>
> <>< ><>
> www.peagramfamily.com
> http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
>

> 225/196/145

Compmouse

The last person I knew that tried something like that ended up in the
hospital because the door of the microwave blew up, smacked him in the head
and knocked him unconscious.

-- Compmouse
Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
> wrote in message
> On 02 Dec 2003 20:09:09 GMT, "Matt" > wrote:

> ><snip>

> Place the eggs in a small covered bowl with hot tap water.
> Cover the bowl and place in the microwave. For me two minutes on high
> in a 700w oven for 2 eggs. Time with experience after the first
> attempt and you will never do it any other way again.
> Neil McMullen
> Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

PENMART01

In article >, Trent©
> writes:

>On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:21:18 -0500, "Compmouse" >
>wrote:
>
>>As for the salt/vinegar mentions they're absolutely right, you can also use
>>this technique when making poached eggs.

>I've never heard of the vinegar thingee before. But I've always put a
>lot of salt in the water...but only to lower the boiling point of the
>water so that the water boils sooner.
>
>Maybe that's all that the vinegar does also.

Vinegar is added to egg poaching water to help coagulate the egg white, I doubt
it does much to help cracked hard cooked eggs... adding salt to the water does
nothing whatsoever, except waste salt and give the imbeciles something to post.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

>The last person I knew that tried something like that ended up in the
>hospital because the door of the microwave blew up, smacked him in

the head
>and knocked him unconscious.
>
>-- Compmouse

An exploding egg blew open the door of a microwave????
Go to Urban Legends, that should be worth an entry...
Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

Becca

Compmouse wrote:

> indicator (the kind you drop in the water and it changes colour over time,
> like this one: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=103760)

Mine looks like that, I bought it at an outlet mall for $2.99. Works
great.

Becca
Default User

"Trent©" wrote:

> I've never heard of the vinegar thingee before. But I've always put a
> lot of salt in the water...but only to lower the boiling point of the
> water so that the water boils sooner.

Adding salt raises the boiling point of water, it doesn't lower it.

Brian Rodenborn
PENMART01

Default LUser writes:

>"Trent©" wrote:
>>
>> I've never heard of the vinegar thingee before. But I've always put a
>> lot of salt in the water...but only to lower the boiling point of the
>> water so that the water boils sooner.

>Adding salt raises the boiling point of water, it doesn't lower it.

Both of yoose is essentially imbeciles, Trent by way of mental retardation,
Default LUser via schizophrenia.

"The Effect of Sugar and Salt"

"When salt, sugar, or any other nonvolatile compounds are dissolved in water,
the freezing point of the resulting solution is lowered and it's boiling point
raised. We take advantage of this effect by using rock salt to melt ice on
roads, and to freeze ice cream. As far back as the 18th century, solutions of
calcium chloride were used to reach temperatures of -27° F. (-33° C.). The
helpfullness of solutes at the other end of the scale is, however, more
limited.

It takes one ounce of salt to raise the boiling point of a quart of water by a
mere 1° F. A Denverite who wanted to boil water at 212° F. would have to add
more than half a pound of salt to that quart of liquid."

[Berk, Z. Braverman's Introduction to the Biochemistry of Foods, Amersterdam
and New York: Elsevier, 1976]
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Heck

"Default User >" took another step towards
transcendence.
>"Trent©" wrote:
>>
>> I've never heard of the vinegar thingee before. But I've always put a
>> lot of salt in the water...but only to lower the boiling point of the
>> water so that the water boils sooner.

>Adding salt raises the boiling point of water, it doesn't lower it.

Was that calcualtion of calories -> time at 200 deg F too much a bother? I
would like very much to see how you do it. Once, I knew enough to do it,
but not mow.

For the eggs, I'd want to know why he wants the water to boil sooner. If
it's to make the eggs get done sooner, is he ignoring that if the water is
boiling sooner, it means it doesn't have to absorb as much energy in order
to boil and is therefore holding less energy? The cooler water has less
energy to impart to the eggs so would therefore require that the eggs take
more time to cook. So, what good is the method, really?

JLove98905

Coming from someone who learned how much easier it is to make hollandaise sauce
in the microwave, I'd say if you can microwave eggs, then why the hell not?
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Compmouse

Ya sure, this is of course coming from the cynical egg microwaving genius.

-- Compmouse
Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
> wrote in message
> >The last person I knew that tried something like that ended up in the
> >hospital because the door of the microwave blew up, smacked him in

> the head
> >and knocked him unconscious.
> >
> >-- Compmouse

> An exploding egg blew open the door of a microwave????
> Go to Urban Legends, that should be worth an entry...
> Neil McMullen
> Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

Compmouse

We never said you couldn't microwave eggs, I mean, there's lots of people
that make things like scrambled eggs (or Hollandaise sauce) and the like in
the microwave, BUT the issue here is that you cannot make boiled eggs in the
microwave as the shell is too restrictive causing the egg to explode due to
the rapid temperature increase.

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> Coming from someone who learned how much easier it is to make hollandaise

sauce
> in the microwave, I'd say if you can microwave eggs, then why the hell

not?
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Dave Smith

JLove98905 wrote:

> Coming from someone who learned how much easier it is to make hollandaise sauce
> in the microwave, I'd say if you can microwave eggs, then why the hell not?
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Of course you can microwave an egg. Just stick the egg(s) in the microwave, turn
it on and wait for the explosion. Then you can pick out the pieces and clean out
the interior.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:57:08 -0500, "Compmouse" >
wrote:

>We never said you couldn't microwave eggs, I mean, there's lots of

people
>that make things like scrambled eggs (or Hollandaise sauce) and the

like in
>the microwave, BUT the issue here is that you cannot make boiled eggs

in the
>microwave as the shell is too restrictive causing the egg to explode

due to
>the rapid temperature increase.

Can't you read or are you incapable of experiment? I do this every
week at least once and have been doing it for years. This is not
conjecture, this is experience talking. TRY IT!
Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

Taffy Stoker

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:32:50 -0500, "LIMEYNO1" >
wrote:

>Food Network: Recipes
>
> Perfectly Boiled Eggs
> Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999
>
> Recipe Summary
> Cook Time: 15 minutesYield: 6 servings
> 1 dozen large eggs
> Water to cover
> Pinch salt
> Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Season with a pinch
>of
> salt. Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 2
> minutes. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Allow the eggs to sit
>for
> 11 minutes. Drain and cool the eggs for 2 minutes in ice water. Drain
>and
> peel the eggs.

This is what I do, minus the salt. I also shorten the sitting time
for softer boiled eggs.

pre boiled eggs Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:36 PM
pre boiled eggs Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:32 PM
Boiled eggs amandaF General Cooking 13 25-07-2008 10:05 PM
Boiled eggs? Kajikit General Cooking 28 03-12-2003 08:26 PM