Old 28-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Kajikit

Default Boiled eggs?

Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

Old 28-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Righar

Kajikit wrote:
Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur?

IMO it must depend on the kind of eggs you're using, I used
to believe that the bigger the egg, the more you tend to get
the green ring thing. ..?

--
--Righar
--24/M/Boro/French

Old 28-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Compmouse

I think you're boiling your eggs for too long, that's what causes the green
ring around the yolk. Try boiling them for less time.

-- Compmouse
Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
"Kajikit" wrote in message
Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

Old 28-11-2003, 02:53 PM
LIMEYNO1

The simple cause is BOILING! Don't boil hard cooked eggs. Put eggs in cold
water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let stand for 15- 20
minutes. You will never have the dark ring.

Old 28-11-2003, 03:25 PM
PENMART01

Kajikit writes:

Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur?

Yoose cookin' em too long.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 28-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Gtwy4cb

Try boiling them for less time.

You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover and
let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five minuites--the
shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the yolk.
Old 28-11-2003, 05:53 PM
kilikini

Yep, you're definitely over-cooking the eggs. I consistently had this
problem too, until I got this amazing little gadget from Brookstone. It's
an egg timer. You place the egg-shaped timer in with your eggs and cover
them with cold water. Boil the water and the egg timer changes color to let
you know when the eggs are soft-boiled, medium or hard.

If I keep my eye on the timer, the eggs come out perfectly every time - no
green rings!

I did a quick search and found a link for this item on Cooking.com...
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=103760

I've had my egg timer for about 12 years and it's still going strong!

Good luck!

Kilikini

Old 28-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Glenn Jacobs

I start them in cold water boil for about 8 minutes, immediately put under
cold water and I have never had a problem. If you live at 10,000 feet as I
do boil them for 12 minutes.
--
JakeInHartsel
Old 28-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Bob Pastorio

Gtwy4cb wrote:

Try boiling them for less time.

You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover and
let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five minutes--the
shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the yolk.

The only thing I'll add is that I drain the pot and put ice water in
it. Let them sit in ice water for maybe 20 minutes. The shell comes
off easily unless the eggs are very fresh.

We always have hard-cooked eggs on hand as a snack or ingredient. I do
a dozen at a time.

Pastorio

Old 28-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Katra

Kajikit wrote:

Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

You are over-cooking them. :-)
Try cutting the time back, and cooling them in cold water when you take
them off the heat...

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Old 28-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Peter Aitken

"Gtwy4cb" wrote in message
Try boiling them for less time.

You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover

and
let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five

minuites--the
shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the

yolk.

That is the way I cook eggs but it is no guarantee against the green ring.
You can also boil eggs and be ring-free. The ring is caused by sulfur
compounds in the white reacting with the yolk and causing the color change.
I had heard that the ring is caused by boiling too long or by not cooling
the eggs quickly, but I now think that other things are involved as well. I
have had batches of same-size eggs from the same carton that were boiled
together and cooled together and a few had the ring while most did not.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 28-11-2003, 09:42 PM
circe

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:59:59 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

"Gtwy4cb" wrote in message
Try boiling them for less time.

You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover

and
let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five

minuites--the
shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the

yolk.

That is the way I cook eggs but it is no guarantee against the green ring.
You can also boil eggs and be ring-free. The ring is caused by sulfur
compounds in the white reacting with the yolk and causing the color change.
I had heard that the ring is caused by boiling too long or by not cooling
the eggs quickly, but I now think that other things are involved as well. I
have had batches of same-size eggs from the same carton that were boiled
together and cooled together and a few had the ring while most did not.

I just got around to reading a cookbook of Alton Brown's that I got as
a gift a while back, and he claims that the best wat to hard cook eggs
is to bake them. I've been meaning to try that, and was wondering if
anyone did it that way?

circe

Old 28-11-2003, 09:49 PM
PENMART01

(Gtwy4cb) writes:

Try boiling them for less time.

You DON'T boil them!!
Start eggs in cold water and when water STRONGboils/STRONG

DUH!

Old 29-11-2003, 01:50 AM
Arri London

Kajikit wrote:

Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Two things: buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell) and
don't boil them as long (that will eliminate the ring).
Old 29-11-2003, 02:26 AM
PENMART01

Kajikit wrote:

Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell)

Better eggs... better than what, better how, and how does one tell what's
inside that egg shell without it being too late?