Dimitri

Default So Cal Grocery strike - news

Grocery Chains Sharing Costs to Offset Strike Toll

By DAVID GREENBERG
Staff Reporter

Unionized grocery workers' biggest gambit in the five-week old strike - the
decision to pull their picket lines from Ralph's stores in a
divide-and-conquer tactic - appears to have been neutralized in advance by
the three major grocery chains.

As part of their pre-strike "mutual assistance pact," the chains secretly
reached a revenue-sharing agreement that will funnel extra income generated
by crowded Ralph's stores to the two others, according to Chicago-based
industry analyst Mark Hugh-Sam of Morningstar Inc.

<SNIP>

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/tof...1569&P=article

An interesting tactic.

Dimitri

Terry Pulliam

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:14:15 GMT, "Dimitri" >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Grocery Chains Sharing Costs to Offset Strike Toll
>
>By DAVID GREENBERG
>Staff Reporter
>
>Unionized grocery workers' biggest gambit in the five-week old strike - the
>decision to pull their picket lines from Ralph's stores in a
>divide-and-conquer tactic - appears to have been neutralized in advance by
>the three major grocery chains.
>
>As part of their pre-strike "mutual assistance pact," the chains secretly
>reached a revenue-sharing agreement that will funnel extra income generated
>by crowded Ralph's stores to the two others, according to Chicago-based
>industry analyst Mark Hugh-Sam of Morningstar Inc.

Dimitri, I went for my do-without-lunch-and-walk-instead "lunch"
today, which takes me past Pavillions (Von's) on Bayside in Newport
Beach. The picketers were walking in tight circles directly in front
of the two entrances, chanting, "Don't shop Vons!" and *screaming* and
waving their placards at anyone who crossed their picket line.

And a week and a half ago, I was coming out of the place where I get
facials (shaddup, already) and there must have been 200 picketers in
front of the Pavillions on Marguerite/Oso Parkway. *They* were
screaming at people too, with *bullhorns* and causing such a ruckus
that a fire truck and some cops pulled up (why the fire truck, I do
not know) to disperse them into the parking lot, where they continued
to use the bullhorn. They had picketers "testifying" to how horribly
the groceries treat them and they're working to support families and
blah blah blah, which I would be a *lot* more sympathetic toward if
their behavior was a bit more restrained.

I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but antics like this -
verbally abusing and physically intimidating people - may make me
rethink a few things.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove "gotcha"
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Terry Pulliam
> wrote:

> And a week and a half ago, I was coming out of the place where I get
> facials (shaddup, already) and there must have been 200 picketers in
> front of the Pavillions on Marguerite/Oso Parkway. *They* were
> screaming at people too, with *bullhorns* and causing such a ruckus
> that a fire truck and some cops pulled up (why the fire truck, I do
> not know)

Hose 'em down if they don't disperse.
--
-Barb
State Fair prizewinning jams and jellies for sale at the Burnsville
Blair P. Houghton

Dimitri > wrote:
>Grocery Chains Sharing Costs to Offset Strike Toll

[...]
>An interesting tactic.

The US Attorney will think so. When he charges them with
violation of the anti-trust laws.

--Blair
"It's illegal for a reason."
Charles Gifford

"Terry Pulliam" > wrote in message
..

> Dimitri, I went for my do-without-lunch-and-walk-instead "lunch"
> today, which takes me past Pavillions (Von's) on Bayside in Newport
> Beach. The picketers were walking in tight circles directly in front
> of the two entrances, chanting, "Don't shop Vons!" and *screaming* and
> waving their placards at anyone who crossed their picket line.
>
> And a week and a half ago, I was coming out of the place where I get
> facials (shaddup, already) and there must have been 200 picketers in
> front of the Pavillions on Marguerite/Oso Parkway. *They* were
> screaming at people too, with *bullhorns* and causing such a ruckus
> that a fire truck and some cops pulled up (why the fire truck, I do
> not know) to disperse them into the parking lot, where they continued
> to use the bullhorn. They had picketers "testifying" to how horribly
> the groceries treat them and they're working to support families and
> blah blah blah, which I would be a *lot* more sympathetic toward if
> their behavior was a bit more restrained.
>
> I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but antics like this -
> verbally abusing and physically intimidating people - may make me
> rethink a few things.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam

That happened in Sandy Eggo too except it turned out that the trouble makers
were not striking employees. It was an independent "activist" group not
invited by the striking workers.

Charlie

Dimitri

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:
> >Grocery Chains Sharing Costs to Offset Strike Toll

> [...]
> >An interesting tactic.

> The US Attorney will think so. When he charges them with
> violation of the anti-trust laws.
>
> --Blair
> "It's illegal for a reason."

IMHO

Sharing costs and revenue has been done before during the last strike in
California. To my knowledge is not considered a horizontal trust , not price
fixing and is therefore not unlawful. If the pact were nationwide and
permanent that might be a different story.

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Terry Pulliam" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:14:15 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
>
> >Grocery Chains Sharing Costs to Offset Strike Toll
> >
> >By DAVID GREENBERG
> >Staff Reporter
> >
> >Unionized grocery workers' biggest gambit in the five-week old strike -

the
> >decision to pull their picket lines from Ralph's stores in a
> >divide-and-conquer tactic - appears to have been neutralized in advance

by
> >the three major grocery chains.
> >
> >As part of their pre-strike "mutual assistance pact," the chains secretly
> >reached a revenue-sharing agreement that will funnel extra income

generated
> >by crowded Ralph's stores to the two others, according to Chicago-based
> >industry analyst Mark Hugh-Sam of Morningstar Inc.
> >

> Dimitri, I went for my do-without-lunch-and-walk-instead "lunch"
> today, which takes me past Pavillions (Von's) on Bayside in Newport
> Beach. The picketers were walking in tight circles directly in front
> of the two entrances, chanting, "Don't shop Vons!" and *screaming* and
> waving their placards at anyone who crossed their picket line.
>
> And a week and a half ago, I was coming out of the place where I get
> facials (shaddup, already) and there must have been 200 picketers in
> front of the Pavillions on Marguerite/Oso Parkway. *They* were
> screaming at people too, with *bullhorns* and causing such a ruckus
> that a fire truck and some cops pulled up (why the fire truck, I do
> not know) to disperse them into the parking lot, where they continued
> to use the bullhorn. They had picketers "testifying" to how horribly
> the groceries treat them and they're working to support families and
> blah blah blah, which I would be a *lot* more sympathetic toward if
> their behavior was a bit more restrained.
>
> I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but antics like this -
> verbally abusing and physically intimidating people - may make me
> rethink a few things.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

Hi there Terry,

Yes, I know I almost got into it with several people at a Pavilions who
encouraged me to shop at a Ralph's. We should however keep in mind for many
of the workers this is their first strike and they may be too young to
understand all of the dynamics of public support.

Strange as it may sound "Man can not live by Trader Joe's alone" (not
forever anyway)

;-)

Dimitri

Nexis

"Terry Pulliam" > wrote in message

> Dimitri, I went for my do-without-lunch-and-walk-instead "lunch"
> today, which takes me past Pavillions (Von's) on Bayside in Newport
> Beach. The picketers were walking in tight circles directly in front
> of the two entrances, chanting, "Don't shop Vons!" and *screaming* and
> waving their placards at anyone who crossed their picket line.
>
> And a week and a half ago, I was coming out of the place where I get
> facials (shaddup, already) and there must have been 200 picketers in
> front of the Pavillions on Marguerite/Oso Parkway. *They* were
> screaming at people too, with *bullhorns* and causing such a ruckus
> that a fire truck and some cops pulled up (why the fire truck, I do
> not know) to disperse them into the parking lot, where they continued
> to use the bullhorn. They had picketers "testifying" to how horribly
> the groceries treat them and they're working to support families and
> blah blah blah, which I would be a *lot* more sympathetic toward if
> their behavior was a bit more restrained.
>
> I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but antics like this -
> verbally abusing and physically intimidating people - may make me
> rethink a few things.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

My daughter and I were walking past an Albertson's near our house going over
to Starbuck's for a peppermint cocoa. The picketers had their *children* out
there with them, yelling at people going into the store and telling them
they were "taking food from [their] mouths". Out of control, I'd say. Then,
one of the picketers (not a child, mind you, but a full grown adult) got
right up in front of my daughter, blocking her way, because she thought she
was going into the store (she was grabbing a Reader from the stand). I told
her three things: One, that Alexis may be petite, but she sure as hell isn't
invisible. Two, that her and her fellow picketers were quickly losing any
sympathy they may have had because their behavior is inappropriate and
bullying. And three, that she better step back or I would put her through
that plate glass window. (I *am* a mother after all, and no one is going to
try to intimidate my daughter). Of course, I am not a violent person, but I
think I got my point across.

I have no sympathy left for these people. My brother and his family live in
the boonies. During the fires the only place near them that had electricity
was a Von's. She went in to get some Tylenol for my niece and when she came
out they had keyed her truck from front to back. They called her names from
the time she exited the store until she pulled out.

All this, and then they want me to take the time to go to 3 different stores
to buy what I could easily buy in one trip to theirs? And I should do this
why, exactly? They're not thinking ahead, and they're not being smart. It's
sad to say, but I have lost respect for them.

kimberly

Nancy Young

Nexis wrote:

> to Starbuck's for a peppermint cocoa. The picketers had their *children* out
> there with them, yelling at people going into the store and telling them
> they were "taking food from [their] mouths".

How pathetic is that.

> Out of control, I'd say. Then,
> one of the picketers (not a child, mind you, but a full grown adult) got
> right up in front of my daughter, blocking her way, because she thought she
> was going into the store (she was grabbing a Reader from the stand). I told
> her three things: One, that Alexis may be petite, but she sure as hell isn't
> invisible. Two, that her and her fellow picketers were quickly losing any
> sympathy they may have had because their behavior is inappropriate and
> bullying. And three, that she better step back or I would put her through
> that plate glass window. (I *am* a mother after all, and no one is going to
> try to intimidate my daughter). Of course, I am not a violent person, but I
> think I got my point across.

Scaring a kid, wow, what does that say.

> I have no sympathy left for these people. My brother and his family live in
> the boonies. During the fires the only place near them that had electricity
> was a Von's. She went in to get some Tylenol for my niece and when she came
> out they had keyed her truck from front to back. They called her names from
> the time she exited the store until she pulled out.

Why aren't the police there? Plus, vandalism is a crime. I hope
she reported it.

> All this, and then they want me to take the time to go to 3 different stores
> to buy what I could easily buy in one trip to theirs? And I should do this
> why, exactly?

Exactly my point. Why should you become a party to their employment
grievance problems? I promise they wouldn't become involved in any
you might have.

nancy
Dimitri

"Nexis" > wrote in message

<Snip>

> My daughter and I were walking past an Albertson's near our house going

over
> to Starbuck's for a peppermint cocoa. The picketers had their *children*

out
> there with them, yelling at people going into the store and telling them
> they were "taking food from [their] mouths". Out of control, I'd say.

Then,
> one of the picketers (not a child, mind you, but a full grown adult) got
> right up in front of my daughter, blocking her way, because she thought

she
> was going into the store (she was grabbing a Reader from the stand). I

told
> her three things: One, that Alexis may be petite, but she sure as hell

isn't
> invisible. Two, that her and her fellow picketers were quickly losing any
> sympathy they may have had because their behavior is inappropriate and
> bullying. And three, that she better step back or I would put her through
> that plate glass window. (I *am* a mother after all, and no one is going

> try to intimidate my daughter). Of course, I am not a violent person, but

> think I got my point across.
>
> I have no sympathy left for these people. My brother and his family live

in
> the boonies. During the fires the only place near them that had

electricity
> was a Von's. She went in to get some Tylenol for my niece and when she

came
> out they had keyed her truck from front to back. They called her names

from
> the time she exited the store until she pulled out.

Maybe she should file a claim for the repair of the paint job in Small
Claims Court naming the local. At least they have to respond or the
judgemnent will go to her. Then I would call the SD Union (newspaper) and
and the TV stations etc.

Dimitri

> All this, and then they want me to take the time to go to 3 different

stores
> to buy what I could easily buy in one trip to theirs? And I should do this
> why, exactly? They're not thinking ahead, and they're not being smart.

It's
> sad to say, but I have lost respect for them.
>
> kimberly

Ranee Mueller

In article . net>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> That happened in Sandy Eggo too except it turned out that the trouble
> makers were not striking employees. It was an independent "activist"
> group not invited by the striking workers.

It seems to me, then, that the legitimate striking workers ought to
call the police on them, and make sure it's clear that they will not and
do not abide by their tactics. But, then, what do I know. I don't have
an employer, let alone a union, so I can't strike.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
J Quick

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> My daughter and I were walking past an Albertson's near our house going

over
> to Starbuck's for a peppermint cocoa. The picketers had their *children*

out
> there with them, yelling at people going into the store and telling them
> they were "taking food from [their] mouths". Out of control, I'd say.

Then,
> one of the picketers (not a child, mind you, but a full grown adult) got
> right up in front of my daughter, blocking her way, because she thought

she
> was going into the store (she was grabbing a Reader from the stand). I

told
> her three things: One, that Alexis may be petite, but she sure as hell

isn't
> invisible. Two, that her and her fellow picketers were quickly losing any
> sympathy they may have had because their behavior is inappropriate and
> bullying. And three, that she better step back or I would put her through
> that plate glass window. (I *am* a mother after all, and no one is going

> try to intimidate my daughter). Of course, I am not a violent person, but

> think I got my point across.
>
> I have no sympathy left for these people. My brother and his family live

in
> the boonies. During the fires the only place near them that had

electricity
> was a Von's. She went in to get some Tylenol for my niece and when she

came
> out they had keyed her truck from front to back. They called her names

from
> the time she exited the store until she pulled out.
>
> All this, and then they want me to take the time to go to 3 different

stores
> to buy what I could easily buy in one trip to theirs? And I should do this
> why, exactly? They're not thinking ahead, and they're not being smart.

It's
> sad to say, but I have lost respect for them.

Go on your own "customer strike".

Shop only at stores that don't employ union labor, but pay their employees
well by industry standards. They're not hard to find. Costco comes to
mind.

A local Costco was hiring recently, mostly for seasonal work. The number of
job seekers was in the hundreds.

John Gaquin

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:0zrub.6910

> ... they had keyed her truck from front to back. They called her names

from
> the time she exited the store until she pulled out.

And this behavior from a union surprises you because........?

> ....They're not thinking ahead, and they're not being smart.

They're a union.

John Gaquin

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> ...Why aren't the police there? ... vandalism is a crime.

The police are unionized, too. It will have to get a lot worse than
vandalism and harassment before you'll see police involvement.

John Gaquin

"Dimitri" > wrote in message news:dasub.22246>

> Maybe she should file a claim for the repair of the paint job in Small
> Claims Court naming the local. At least they have to respond or the
> judgemnent will go to her. Then I would call the SD Union (newspaper) and
> and the TV stations etc.

Unless she *saw* a known union member actually keying her vehicle while it
was happening, she's got nothing. Maybe some of the other strikers will act
as witnesses?

Nancy Young

John Gaquin wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> >
> > ...Why aren't the police there? ... vandalism is a crime.

> The police are unionized, too. It will have to get a lot worse than
> vandalism and harassment before you'll see police involvement.

I've never been a member of a union, perhaps that's my problem.
I went to work to do my job. And I did it. If people are being
harassed, I expect the police to respond and protect them. They
should be there. To serve and protect.

nancy
Terry Pulliam

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:55:37 GMT, "Dimitri" >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Maybe she should file a claim for the repair of the paint job in Small
>Claims Court naming the local. At least they have to respond or the
>judgemnent will go to her. Then I would call the SD Union (newspaper) and
>and the TV stations etc.

Two words, Dimitri: "Prove It." This is the lamest sort of
circumstantial evidence and no judge would ever entertain it, IMHO.
They'd respond to the complaint denying any cause of action she'd
bring, citing the SODDI defense: Some Other Dude Did It and you can't
prove a negative. You might intuit that that's what happened, it might
be a logical progression, but, to quote my son when he was a teenager,
"If you didn't see it, I didn't do it." (Grounded on general
principals for 3 days - moms get to be judge, jury and executioner.)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove "gotcha"
Blair P. Houghton

Dimitri > wrote:

>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Dimitri > wrote:
>> >Grocery Chains Sharing Costs to Offset Strike Toll
>> >
>> >An interesting tactic.

>> The US Attorney will think so. When he charges them with
>> violation of the anti-trust laws.

>Sharing costs and revenue has been done before during the last strike in
>California. To my knowledge is not considered a horizontal trust , not price
>fixing and is therefore not unlawful. If the pact were nationwide and
>permanent that might be a different story.

It's an anti-competitive practice. I'd sue and see what the
courts think.

--Blair
"Depends on the court."
The Ranger

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in message
> > "Profit dispursing to break strikers"

> It's an anti-competitive practice. I'd sue and see what the
> courts think.

It only takes money.

The Ranger

Charles Gifford

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
> > That happened in Sandy Eggo too except it turned out that the trouble
> > makers were not striking employees. It was an independent "activist"
> > group not invited by the striking workers.

> It seems to me, then, that the legitimate striking workers ought to
> call the police on them, and make sure it's clear that they will not and
> do not abide by their tactics. But, then, what do I know. I don't have
> an employer, let alone a union, so I can't strike.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Actually, they did call the police. Several non-union people were arrested.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "Terry Pulliam" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:14:15 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> > arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
> >
> > >Grocery Chains Sharing Costs to Offset Strike Toll
> > >
> > >By DAVID GREENBERG
> > >Staff Reporter
> > >
> > >Unionized grocery workers' biggest gambit in the five-week old strike -

> the
> > >decision to pull their picket lines from Ralph's stores in a
> > >divide-and-conquer tactic - appears to have been neutralized in advance

> by
> > >the three major grocery chains.
> > >
> > >As part of their pre-strike "mutual assistance pact," the chains

secretly
> > >reached a revenue-sharing agreement that will funnel extra income

> generated
> > >by crowded Ralph's stores to the two others, according to Chicago-based
> > >industry analyst Mark Hugh-Sam of Morningstar Inc.
> > >

> > Dimitri, I went for my do-without-lunch-and-walk-instead "lunch"
> > today, which takes me past Pavillions (Von's) on Bayside in Newport
> > Beach. The picketers were walking in tight circles directly in front
> > of the two entrances, chanting, "Don't shop Vons!" and *screaming* and
> > waving their placards at anyone who crossed their picket line.
> >
> > And a week and a half ago, I was coming out of the place where I get
> > facials (shaddup, already) and there must have been 200 picketers in
> > front of the Pavillions on Marguerite/Oso Parkway. *They* were
> > screaming at people too, with *bullhorns* and causing such a ruckus
> > that a fire truck and some cops pulled up (why the fire truck, I do
> > not know) to disperse them into the parking lot, where they continued
> > to use the bullhorn. They had picketers "testifying" to how horribly
> > the groceries treat them and they're working to support families and
> > blah blah blah, which I would be a *lot* more sympathetic toward if
> > their behavior was a bit more restrained.
> >
> > I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but antics like this -
> > verbally abusing and physically intimidating people - may make me
> > rethink a few things.
> >
> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
> > AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

> Hi there Terry,
>
> Yes, I know I almost got into it with several people at a Pavilions who
> encouraged me to shop at a Ralph's. We should however keep in mind for

many
> of the workers this is their first strike and they may be too young to
> understand all of the dynamics of public support.
>
> Strange as it may sound "Man can not live by Trader Joe's alone" (not
> forever anyway)
>
> ;-)
>
> Dimitri

I am sorry to heard this Dimitri. We used to be friends.
;-)

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> I've never been a member of a union, perhaps that's my problem.
> I went to work to do my job. And I did it. If people are being
> harassed, I expect the police to respond and protect them. They
> should be there. To serve and protect.
>
> nancy

I used to think as you do. That was before fellow workers and I were
repeatedly shat on by management. I ended up as the Chief Steward for my
place of employment as management did not learn anything over a period of
years. After some years of peace, the young people now working there have
pretty much abandoned the Union. They are being shat on again.

Charlie

Dimitri

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

<snip>

> Strange as it may sound "Man can not live by Trader Joe's alone" (not
> > forever anyway)
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Dimitri

> I am sorry to heard this Dimitri. We used to be friends.
> ;-)
>
> Charlie

LOL

Unfortunately they don't have Jell-O for the grandkids.

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Terry Pulliam" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:55:37 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
>
> >Maybe she should file a claim for the repair of the paint job in Small
> >Claims Court naming the local. At least they have to respond or the
> >judgemnent will go to her. Then I would call the SD Union (newspaper)

and
> >and the TV stations etc.
> >

> Two words, Dimitri: "Prove It." This is the lamest sort of
> circumstantial evidence and no judge would ever entertain it, IMHO.
> They'd respond to the complaint denying any cause of action she'd
> bring, citing the SODDI defense: Some Other Dude Did It and you can't
> prove a negative. You might intuit that that's what happened, it might
> be a logical progression, but, to quote my son when he was a teenager,
> "If you didn't see it, I didn't do it." (Grounded on general
> principals for 3 days - moms get to be judge, jury and executioner.)
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

I think youse all missing the point - Harassment in reverse. Make them
waste their time/money/etc. and see how they like being "inconvenienced".

Dimitri

Nancy Young

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > I've never been a member of a union, perhaps that's my problem.
> > I went to work to do my job. And I did it. If people are being
> > harassed, I expect the police to respond and protect them. They
> > should be there. To serve and protect.

> I used to think as you do. That was before fellow workers and I were
> repeatedly shat on by management. I ended up as the Chief Steward for my
> place of employment as management did not learn anything over a period of
> years. After some years of peace, the young people now working there have
> pretty much abandoned the Union. They are being shat on again.

Oh, Charlie, take my word for it, I have been shat on myself. We
took all kinds of crap. All kinds of corporate crap. I don't want
you to think I worked in some wussy job where you just showed up.

But I never stood in front of a grocery store and harrassed people
or keyed their cars. We're talking about 2 different matters. The
police should be there, protecting the patrons. Right is right, the
cops should have done their job, knowing there was a problem.

That's all I meant.

nancy

Blair P. Houghton

The Ranger > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton > wrote in message
. ..
>> > "Profit dispursing to break strikers"

>> It's an anti-competitive practice. I'd sue and see what the
>> courts think.

>It only takes money.

It only takes a pro-bono commitment against a contingency fee.

--Blair
"You think lawyers don't gamble?"
Dimitri

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:
> >
> >"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> The US Attorney will think so. When he charges them with
> >> violation of the anti-trust laws.

> >Sharing costs and revenue has been done before during the last strike in
> >California. To my knowledge is not considered a horizontal trust , not

price
> >fixing and is therefore not unlawful. If the pact were nationwide and
> >permanent that might be a different story.

> It's an anti-competitive practice.

And picketing one chain that locked the union out and not picketing another
is not anti-competitive?

RIGHT!

Dimitri

Blair P. Houghton

Dimitri > wrote:

>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Dimitri > wrote:
>> >Sharing costs and revenue has been done before during the last strike in
>> >California. To my knowledge is not considered a horizontal trust , not

>price
>> >fixing and is therefore not unlawful. If the pact were nationwide and
>> >permanent that might be a different story.

>> It's an anti-competitive practice.

>And picketing one chain that locked the union out and not picketing another
>is not anti-competitive?

The unions are not the company.

The law makes the distinction.

--Blair
"For good reason."
Adrian Leishman

"Dimitri" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Terry Pulliam" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:55:37 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> > arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
> >
> > >Maybe she should file a claim for the repair of the paint job in Small
> > >Claims Court naming the local. At least they have to respond or the
> > >judgemnent will go to her. Then I would call the SD Union (newspaper)

> and
> > >and the TV stations etc.
> > >

> > Two words, Dimitri: "Prove It." This is the lamest sort of
> > circumstantial evidence and no judge would ever entertain it, IMHO.
> > They'd respond to the complaint denying any cause of action she'd
> > bring, citing the SODDI defense: Some Other Dude Did It and you can't
> > prove a negative. You might intuit that that's what happened, it might
> > be a logical progression, but, to quote my son when he was a teenager,
> > "If you didn't see it, I didn't do it." (Grounded on general
> > principals for 3 days - moms get to be judge, jury and executioner.)
> >
> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
> > AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

> I think youse all missing the point - Harassment in reverse. Make them
> waste their time/money/etc. and see how they like being "inconvenienced".
>

> Dimitri

Trap them.

Drive two cars to the grocery store. One has a video camera on the
other (and on the yelling idiots that think they are more important
than anyone else).

If they are really vandals... you'll get your proof. If they are
yelling at children... sell the video to anti-union "elements" for
propaganda.