Jack Schidt®

Default Supermarket Strike

"Dog3" > wrote in message
02...
> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union strike

going
> on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save, Dierbergs Markets and
> Schnucks. I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They are on
> limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm avoiding them like
> the plague. They want to pay their workers $0.25 per hour over the next 3
> years. Reduced health care also. Thank God the smaller chains did not
> strike. Unfortunately my reputation at Straubs was tarnished tonight.
> Carol (one of the check out people that has been with Straubs 30 years)
> stated about my order "My God Michael, you aren't eating are you"? She
> just gaped at my soy milk, lettuce, scallions and Promise margarine. Poor
> thing, she's used to seeing me with red meat, flavored oils and cheese

from
> acround the world. I didn't even have my usual Straubs Spinach Salad in
> the cart. *sigh* Low fat really sucks.
>
> Michael

This won't get anyone back to work, but how is "Schnucks" pronounced. To
the non-local, it sure looks like 'schnooks'. ...and that cracks me up.

Jack Schnook

Wayne Boatwright

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in
. com:

> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 02...
>> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union strike

> going
>> on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save, Dierbergs Markets and
>> Schnucks. I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They are on
>> limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm avoiding them
>> like the plague. They want to pay their workers $0.25 per hour over
>> the next 3 years. Reduced health care also. Thank God the smaller
>> chains did not strike. Unfortunately my reputation at Straubs was
>> tarnished tonight. Carol (one of the check out people that has been
>> with Straubs 30 years) stated about my order "My God Michael, you
>> aren't eating are you"? She just gaped at my soy milk, lettuce,
>> scallions and Promise margarine. Poor thing, she's used to seeing me
>> with red meat, flavored oils and cheese

> from
>> acround the world. I didn't even have my usual Straubs Spinach Salad
>> in the cart. *sigh* Low fat really sucks.
>>
>> Michael

> This won't get anyone back to work, but how is "Schnucks" pronounced.
> To the non-local, it sure looks like 'schnooks'. ...and that cracks
> me up.
>
> Jack Schnook

Hey, Schnookie, It's "Schnucks" as in "luck".
Jack Sloan

"Dog3" > wrote in message
06...
> "Jack Schidt®" > deliciously posted in
> . com:
>

> > "Dog3" > wrote in message
> > 02...
> >> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union strike

> > going
> >> on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save, Dierbergs Markets and
> >> Schnucks. I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They are on
> >> limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm avoiding them
> >> like the plague. They want to pay their workers $0.25 per hour over
> >> the next 3 years. Reduced health care also. Thank God the smaller
> >> chains did not strike. Unfortunately my reputation at Straubs was
> >> tarnished tonight. Carol (one of the check out people that has been
> >> with Straubs 30 years) stated about my order "My God Michael, you
> >> aren't eating are you"? She just gaped at my soy milk, lettuce,
> >> scallions and Promise margarine. Poor thing, she's used to seeing me
> >> with red meat, flavored oils and cheese

> > from
> >> acround the world. I didn't even have my usual Straubs Spinach Salad
> >> in the cart. *sigh* Low fat really sucks.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > This won't get anyone back to work, but how is "Schnucks" pronounced.
> > To the non-local, it sure looks like 'schnooks'. ...and that cracks
> > me up.
> >
> > Jack Schnook

Still better than that very fine family named Italian eatery in
Houston...Crapittos
Jack

Nexis

"Dog3" > wrote in message
02...
> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union strike

going
> on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save, Dierbergs Markets and
> Schnucks. I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They are on
> limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm avoiding them like
> the plague. They want to pay their workers $0.25 per hour over the next 3
> years. Reduced health care also. Thank God the smaller chains did not
> strike. Unfortunately my reputation at Straubs was tarnished tonight.
> Carol (one of the check out people that has been with Straubs 30 years)
> stated about my order "My God Michael, you aren't eating are you"? She
> just gaped at my soy milk, lettuce, scallions and Promise margarine. Poor
> thing, she's used to seeing me with red meat, flavored oils and cheese

from
> acround the world. I didn't even have my usual Straubs Spinach Salad in
> the cart. *sigh* Low fat really sucks.
>
> Michael

Safeway Inc., parent of Vons and Pavilions, and Kroger Co., parent of
Ralph's, and Albertson's Inc. are all threatening a strike, and the big
decision will be announced today. They were on the news last night telling
people to fulfill their prescriptions in the next 24 hours.
The chains claim that competing with Wal-mart is forcing them to hire more
part time (don't have to offer benefits) and cut the full time health
benefits. They want employees to pay half the insurance, and they want to
cut out the things like dental and vision all together.
Yesterday was the big vote.

kimberly

Rick & Cyndi

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. com...
:
: "Dog3" > wrote in message
[...]
: >
: > Michael
:
: This won't get anyone back to work, but how is "Schnucks"
pronounced. To
: the non-local, it sure looks like 'schnooks'. ...and that
cracks me up.
:
: Jack Schnook
:
: =========

.... which surprisingly enough... *is* the correct pronunciation!

Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
: "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in
: . com:
:
: >
: > "Dog3" > wrote in message
[...]
: >>
: >> Michael
: >
: > This won't get anyone back to work, but how is "Schnucks"
pronounced.
: > To the non-local, it sure looks like 'schnooks'. ...and
that cracks
: > me up.
: >
: > Jack Schnook
: >
: >
:
: Hey, Schnookie, It's "Schnucks" as in "luck".
=========

Only if you have a cold or allergy problems. I've been shopping
at 'schnooks' for 19 years... But then again, it's not uncommon
for the bi-state area to butcher names!

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Default User

Dog3 wrote:

> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union strike going
> on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save, Dierbergs Markets and
> Schnucks.

To be really technical, the union only struck Shop 'n Save, they were
then locked out of the others. But it's the same effect.

I accidentally crossed the lines Tuesday. I hadn't heard that the labor
action had started, and they didn't have pickets at the entrance I went
in (I enter by the Walgreens at Grandview to avoid the crossover exit
from I-270).

I figured it out when all the cashiers were new. I went ahead and
finished shopping though. I'm not unsympathetic to the unions, but by
that point I was all loaded up.

> I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They are on
> limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm avoiding them like
> the plague.

The major chains in STL are feeling the heat from Walmart. So far,
they've been cooperating with the mayor of Florissant to keep a
supercenter out of North County, but eventually Walmart will be there.
It's a tough situation all around.

Brian Rodenborn
Rick & Cyndi

"Dog3" & Cyndi"
<snip>
:
: You in St. Louis area? email me at dog30 at earthlink dot net.
We should
: do lunch.
:
: Michael
=======

Not any more.

When I was stationed at Scott AFB and for several years after, I
lived in Belleville. I kept the house and rented it out after I
moved to Northern Armpit, Illinois... I finally sold the
property in 2001.

I do still have some very close friends down there... next time,
before I head down, I'll send you a note and see if we can get
together...

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Christopher Green

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:<y8zhb.18134$gi2.6014@fed1read01>...
> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 02...
> > Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union strike

> going
> > on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save, Dierbergs Markets and
> > Schnucks. I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They are on
> > limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm avoiding them like
> > the plague. They want to pay their workers $0.25 per hour over the next 3
> > years. Reduced health care also. Thank God the smaller chains did not
> > strike. Unfortunately my reputation at Straubs was tarnished tonight.
> > Carol (one of the check out people that has been with Straubs 30 years)
> > stated about my order "My God Michael, you aren't eating are you"? She
> > just gaped at my soy milk, lettuce, scallions and Promise margarine. Poor
> > thing, she's used to seeing me with red meat, flavored oils and cheese

> from
> > acround the world. I didn't even have my usual Straubs Spinach Salad in
> > the cart. *sigh* Low fat really sucks.
> >
> > Michael

> Safeway Inc., parent of Vons and Pavilions, and Kroger Co., parent of
> Ralph's, and Albertson's Inc. are all threatening a strike, and the big
> decision will be announced today. They were on the news last night telling
> people to fulfill their prescriptions in the next 24 hours.
> The chains claim that competing with Wal-mart is forcing them to hire more
> part time (don't have to offer benefits) and cut the full time health
> benefits. They want employees to pay half the insurance, and they want to
> cut out the things like dental and vision all together.
> Yesterday was the big vote.
>
> kimberly

Competing with Wal-Mart, phooey. Wal-Mart doesn't sell groceries in
Southern California, where this strike is coming.

The supermarket business in Southern California is cutthroat. They're
competing with each other, Stater Bros., Costco, and Smart & Final,
not Wal-Mart.

--
Chris Green
Wayne Boatwright

Dog3 > wrote in
06:

> "Jack Schidt®" > deliciously posted in
> . com:
>

>> "Dog3" > wrote in message
>> 02...
>>> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union
>>> strike

>> going
>>> on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save, Dierbergs Markets
>>> and Schnucks. I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They
>>> are on limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm
>>> avoiding them like the plague. They want to pay their workers $0.25
>>> per hour over the next 3 years. Reduced health care also. Thank
>>> God the smaller chains did not strike. Unfortunately my reputation
>>> at Straubs was tarnished tonight. Carol (one of the check out people
>>> that has been with Straubs 30 years) stated about my order "My God
>>> Michael, you aren't eating are you"? She just gaped at my soy milk,
>>> lettuce, scallions and Promise margarine. Poor thing, she's used to
>>> seeing me with red meat, flavored oils and cheese

>> from
>>> acround the world. I didn't even have my usual Straubs Spinach
>>> Salad in the cart. *sigh* Low fat really sucks.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> This won't get anyone back to work, but how is "Schnucks" pronounced.
>> To the non-local, it sure looks like 'schnooks'. ...and that cracks
>> me up.
>>
>> Jack Schnook
>>

> It's like schnuckums without the ums. Just as you said. It is
> hilarious but both Schnucks and Dierbergs are family names in these
> parts. A couple of other names are Anheuser, Bush and Busch (beer and
> political families). The latter 3 families have been neighbors of
> mine at one time or another my entire history in St. Louis. Herb and
> Adelaine Balaban of Cafe Balabans live across the hall from me also.
> They had the best cocktail parties I have every had the opportunity to
> attend
>
> Michael

Also Stix, Baer & Fuller; Scruggs, Vandervoort & Barney; Vandervoort's,
and Bettendorf's. How many are still alive these days?

Jack Sloan

"Dog3" > wrote in message
01...
> "Jack Sloan" > deliciously posted in
> :
>

> > "Dog3" > wrote in message
> > 06...
> >> "Jack Schidt®" > deliciously posted in
> >> . com:

strike

and

me

Salad

> > Still better than that very fine family named Italian eatery in
> > Houston...Crapittos
> > Jack

> LOL... Seriously? They named their restaurant Crapittos?
>
> Michael

Yep...family name. I have not eaten there however it gets good reviews.
Jack

Jack Sloan

"MareCat" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:57:37 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
> >
> >I haven't followed this in the news. So, are these striking chains

saying
> >WalMart Supercenters only employ part-timers and don't have to pay

benefits,
> >therefore they (the other guys) are being run out of business? Or are

they
> >being run out of business because of the 'convenience' of shopping for
> >groceries, clothes, videos and garden supplies all in one spot?
> >
> >I have only been in the WalMart Supercenter once, and I won't go back. I
> >wasn't buying groceries; I didn't even look at their grocery side. But I
> >couldn't find a darn thing I was looking for. I wandered around for an

hour
> >and finally tossed my hands up and left, very irritated. They closed the
> >"regular" WalMart I was used to, which had great prices for regular
> >household items and books and even casual clothing. I could go in, find
> >everything I wanted and be out in 20 minutes. This Supercenter place was
> >just ridiculous!
> >
> >Jill

> AFAIK, all of the Walmarts in the Houston area are Supercenters. I'm
> not impressed with them. With the exception of frozen foods (good
> selection and low prices), their selection and quality of grocery
> items doesn't even come close to regular supermarkets. And, like you,
> I always have a very hard time finding what I'm looking for. The only
> time I ever go to the one near me is when I need several non-grocery
> items in addition to grocery items (it's inconvenient for me to stop
> at several places with an 8-month-old in tow).
>
> Mary

Well Pasadena isn't exactly Houston, but the WM on Fairmont is not a
superstore and is as large as a superstore. They have more selection than a
superstore or any of the other WMs I've been to.
Jack

Jack Schidt®

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> Still better than that very fine family named Italian eatery in
> Houston...Crapittos

With that ever popular entree.....fici a la bambina!!

Jack Schidt

jmcquown

Nexis wrote:
> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 02...
>> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union
>> strike going on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save,
>> Dierbergs Markets and Schnucks. I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks
>> frequently. They are on limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited
>> services. I'm avoiding them like the plague. They want to pay
>> their workers $0.25 per hour over the next 3 years. Reduced health
>> care also.
>> Michael

> Safeway Inc., parent of Vons and Pavilions, and Kroger Co., parent of
> Ralph's, and Albertson's Inc. are all threatening a strike, and the
> big decision will be announced today. They were on the news last
> night telling people to fulfill their prescriptions in the next 24
> hours.
> The chains claim that competing with Wal-mart is forcing them to hire
> more part time (don't have to offer benefits) and cut the full time
> health benefits. They want employees to pay half the insurance, and
> they want to cut out the things like dental and vision all together.
> Yesterday was the big vote.
>
> kimberly

Great. We just signed one of those large chains as a client. It never
fails, something always happens when we do that either tarnishes their
credibility (at least with me) or forces them to file bankrupcty.

I do prefer the selections for staple goods at Schnuck's over Kroger and the
more local Piggly Wiggly. I hear a lot of people say Schnuck's is more
expensive, but I don't find that to be the case. And they don't require
that dreaded "card" to get the lower prices when they have things on sale.

Jill

jmcquown

Default User wrote:
> Dog3 wrote:
>>
>> Oh Mi! 2 of the places I frequently grocery shop have a union
>> strike going on. There are 3 stores involved. Shop 'n Save,
>> Dierbergs Markets and Schnucks.

> To be really technical, the union only struck Shop 'n Save, they were
> then locked out of the others. But it's the same effect.
>
> I accidentally crossed the lines Tuesday. I hadn't heard that the
> labor action had started, and they didn't have pickets at the
> entrance I went
> in (I enter by the Walgreens at Grandview to avoid the crossover exit
> from I-270).
>
> I figured it out when all the cashiers were new. I went ahead and
> finished shopping though. I'm not unsympathetic to the unions, but by
> that point I was all loaded up.
>
>> I shop at Dierbergs and Schnucks frequently. They are on
>> limited hours 10am to 7pm with limited services. I'm avoiding them
>> like the plague.

> The major chains in STL are feeling the heat from Walmart. So far,
> they've been cooperating with the mayor of Florissant to keep a
> supercenter out of North County, but eventually Walmart will be there.
> It's a tough situation all around.
>
> Brian Rodenborn

I haven't followed this in the news. So, are these striking chains saying
WalMart Supercenters only employ part-timers and don't have to pay benefits,
therefore they (the other guys) are being run out of business? Or are they
being run out of business because of the 'convenience' of shopping for
groceries, clothes, videos and garden supplies all in one spot?

I have only been in the WalMart Supercenter once, and I won't go back. I
wasn't buying groceries; I didn't even look at their grocery side. But I
couldn't find a darn thing I was looking for. I wandered around for an hour
and finally tossed my hands up and left, very irritated. They closed the
"regular" WalMart I was used to, which had great prices for regular
household items and books and even casual clothing. I could go in, find
everything I wanted and be out in 20 minutes. This Supercenter place was
just ridiculous!

Jill

Sharon Chilson

I think I read somewhere that Home Depot was doing the same thing (with
their new help)--only giving them enough hours to make them part-timers.
That way they don't have to pay them benefits.

MareCat

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:57:37 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
>
>I haven't followed this in the news. So, are these striking chains saying
>WalMart Supercenters only employ part-timers and don't have to pay benefits,
>therefore they (the other guys) are being run out of business? Or are they
>being run out of business because of the 'convenience' of shopping for
>groceries, clothes, videos and garden supplies all in one spot?
>
>I have only been in the WalMart Supercenter once, and I won't go back. I
>wasn't buying groceries; I didn't even look at their grocery side. But I
>couldn't find a darn thing I was looking for. I wandered around for an hour
>and finally tossed my hands up and left, very irritated. They closed the
>"regular" WalMart I was used to, which had great prices for regular
>household items and books and even casual clothing. I could go in, find
>everything I wanted and be out in 20 minutes. This Supercenter place was
>just ridiculous!
>
>Jill

AFAIK, all of the Walmarts in the Houston area are Supercenters. I'm
not impressed with them. With the exception of frozen foods (good
selection and low prices), their selection and quality of grocery
items doesn't even come close to regular supermarkets. And, like you,
I always have a very hard time finding what I'm looking for. The only
time I ever go to the one near me is when I need several non-grocery
items in addition to grocery items (it's inconvenient for me to stop
at several places with an 8-month-old in tow).

Mary
MareCat

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 03:12:23 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>"MareCat" > wrote in message
.. .

>> AFAIK, all of the Walmarts in the Houston area are Supercenters. I'm
>> not impressed with them. With the exception of frozen foods (good
>> selection and low prices), their selection and quality of grocery
>> items doesn't even come close to regular supermarkets. And, like you,
>> I always have a very hard time finding what I'm looking for. The only
>> time I ever go to the one near me is when I need several non-grocery
>> items in addition to grocery items (it's inconvenient for me to stop
>> at several places with an 8-month-old in tow).
>>
>> Mary

>Well Pasadena isn't exactly Houston, but the WM on Fairmont is not a
>superstore and is as large as a superstore. They have more selection than a
>superstore or any of the other WMs I've been to.
>Jack

Doesn't surprise me. I've been to other (non-Supercenter) WMs in other
parts of TX that were as big as (if not bigger than) any WM
Supercenter I've ever been in.

Dog3 wrote:

> Default User > deliciously posted in
> :

> > To be really technical, the union only struck Shop 'n Save, they were
> > then locked out of the others. But it's the same effect.

> Well thanks for the info. I haven't been reading up all that much on it.

It seems that the union got itself in a bind. The previous head agreed
to negotiate with all three chains at once, then abruptly resigned.
Normally the union plays the chains against each other at contract time.

> I'm just ****ed that I have to pay Straub's prices for milk and such. I'll
> not cross the picket lines. I *did* read about the package offered to the
> employees and it is really bad.

The chains ran a bunch of ads in the weekend papers to try and win the
public over.

> The people at the 7-11 are totally buried. People are running in there for
> quick items like milk, bread etc. The lines are very long. It's all due to
> the strike. I made the mistake of stopping for a soda on the way to work
> yesterday. Took 20 minutes to check out.

The Sav-a-lot by me was hammered Saturday. I haven't figured out my
strategy for this week yet.

Brian Rodenborn
Rick & Cyndi

"Dog3"

<snip>
:I'll also drive over to Eckert's. Hey, if
: you want to, sometime we can get together and hit Eckert's
together. It's
: no biggie but fun. We could also hit the Soulard Market.
Could be fun.
:
: Michael
=====

No fair, no fair, no fair, no fair!! Arrgghh!! I miss those
terribly! Especially Soulard's!! There is nothing like
Soulard's around here. There is a family-owned orchard named
Tanner's that is similar to Eckert's... but I really, really
miss Soulard's.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Terry Pulliam

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:36:24 GMT, Default User
> arranged random neurons, so they
looked like this:

>Dog3 wrote:
>>
>> Default User > deliciously posted in
>> :

<snippidy>

>The chains ran a bunch of ads in the weekend papers to try and win the
>public over.
>

>> The people at the 7-11 are totally buried. People are running in there for
>> quick items like milk, bread etc. The lines are very long. It's all due to
>> the strike. I made the mistake of stopping for a soda on the way to work
>> yesterday. Took 20 minutes to check out.

>The Sav-a-lot by me was hammered Saturday. I haven't figured out my
>strategy for this week yet.

I ran into both Gelson's and Stater Bros. tonight (it's what happens
when you go shopping without a list - there's always something you've
forgotten) and they were both mobbed. The Gelson's is in Newport Beach
and near my office, so I'm in there quite a bit and it's *never* busy.
It was a madhouse tonight. Stater Bros. is usually a bit more lively
and tonight it was overrun. I was in the 10-Items-of-Fewer line and
the woman ahead of me had 17 items (I idly counted as she laid them on
the conveyer belt). She saw me watching her and said, "Please don't
make me stand in that <pointing> line!"

I've never crossed a picket line in my life and I'm not starting now.
The Ralph's up on Aliso Creek in Aliso Viejo, which is a 24-hour
store, is evidently only open from 8 - 8 now.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and
then beat you with experience."

To reply, remove "gotcha"

Dog3 wrote:

> I went to Aldi's this morning and stocked up on some essentials.

I'm well set for nonperishables, plenty of stuff in the pantry.

> I'm off
> work today so I've planned my menu out and I think meat wise I'm okay with
> what is in the freezer.

I also have some meat in the freezer I should use up anyway.

> At least for this week. I'll hit the Kirkwood
> farmer's market this afternoon. I'll also drive over to Eckert's. Hey, if
> you want to, sometime we can get together and hit Eckert's together. It's
> no biggie but fun. We could also hit the Soulard Market. Could be fun.

There's a produce store in Florissant, I stocked up there over the
weekend. Bread and milk and bagels are what I need now.

Brian Rodenborn