Glenn Jacobs

Default Convection versus Standard Oven

My stove (Viking) has a switch to turn on a fan which apparently makes it
a convection oven.I have yet to use the convection part, how would it
affect cooking time and what sorts of things would you use it for? How
about bread?
--
JakeInHartsel
Rebus Knebus

My son, who lives in California, has a convection oven and when I'm out
there I love using it. You really
don't have to do anything different except watch the time. It bakes quicker
than a conventional oven.
Bread turns out fine. It doesn't heat up the whole kitchen either. It stays
cool to the touch. I wish I had one myself.

Roberta

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message
> My stove (Viking) has a switch to turn on a fan which apparently makes it
> a convection oven.I have yet to use the convection part, how would it
> affect cooking time and what sorts of things would you use it for? How
> about bread?
> --
> JakeInHartsel

Bob Pastorio

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> My stove (Viking) has a switch to turn on a fan which apparently makes it
> a convection oven.I have yet to use the convection part, how would it
> affect cooking time and what sorts of things would you use it for? How
> about bread?

It will generally shorten cooking time. You'll want to lower the
cooking temp a bit, too. Somewhere between 25F and 50F, depending on
the oven. Low-temp roasting of meats in a convection is wonderful. Try
a roast of beef at 205F. No pan juices. It's all still in the meat.

Bread and pretty much everything else work fine in convection.

Pastorio

Blair P. Houghton

Glenn Jacobs > wrote:
>My stove (Viking) has a switch to turn on a fan which apparently makes it
>a convection oven.I have yet to use the convection part, how would it
>affect cooking time and what sorts of things would you use it for? How
>about bread?

It moves the hot air around, improving the heating of the
food by exchanging hot oven air for cool escaping gases
(mostly steam). It also allows the hot air to get around
and under the food in a pan where the air might otherwise
be still and relatively cooler.

The effect is faster, more even cooking. And better
browning than baking but not so good as broiling.

No way to tell how it will change your cooking times.
Use a probe thermometer for cooking meats; it's much better
than guessing at times anyway. Bread, you'll just have
to experiment (or read the owner's manual).

--Blair
"RTFM"
Peter Lampione

Glenn Jacobs > wrote in message >.. .
> My stove (Viking) has a switch to turn on a fan which apparently makes it
> a convection oven.I have yet to use the convection part, how would it
> affect cooking time and what sorts of things would you use it for? How
> about bread?

I use it for instance to bake pizza (I make it myself from scratch,
including the dough). With convection, I can put three trays of pizza
in the oven at the same time, and they all cook well.
Without convection, I could put at most two trays of pizza in the
oven, and I had to switch their positions halfway through cooking.
I still have to cook pizza at 400F, just as when I use no convection;
any lower, and it turns out somewhat mushy.
(By "trays", I mean cookie sheets: I prepare the pizzas on cookie
sheets).

Peter

Richard's ~JA~

My one hard-learned lesson with my now almost exclusively used
convection oven over the ten years or so I've had it, is that most
batter type bakes, especially cakes, heavy-moisture loaves (like date
nut) and muffins, do require about a 25 degree decrease in whatever a
usual temperature would have been. And, as Pastorio stated, the low
temperature roasting of meats with convection is superb. I began my use
of the convection with a room will be cooler mindset, as I live where
daily temperatures frequently push 100 degrees. But once I experienced
it's superior roasting capability I stopped using my large gas oven,
unless what I may be making will not fit in the smaller convection.

=A0=A0=A0Picky ~JA~