Mary

Default whipped butter

I have a recipe calling for 8 ounces of whipped butter, but want to
use stick butter instead. How much stick butter would be needed?
Thanks!
levelwave

Mary wrote:

> I have a recipe calling for 8 ounces of whipped butter, but want to
> use stick butter instead. How much stick butter would be needed?
> Thanks!

1/2 a pound...

~john!

ps - what weighs more... a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?...

Steve Wertz

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:16:28 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On 6 Nov 2003 20:51:42 -0800, (Mary) wrote:
>
>>I have a recipe calling for 8 ounces of whipped butter, but want to
>>use stick butter instead. How much stick butter would be needed?
>>Thanks!

>8oz's.

Or 1 cup (2 sticks)

-sw

Frogleg

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:46:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

(Mary) wrote

>> I have a recipe calling for 8 ounces of whipped butter, but want to
>> use stick butter instead. How much stick butter would be needed?
>> Thanks!
>>

>8 ounces is 8 ounces, regardless of the texture or volume. Try whipping 2
>stickes of slightly softened butter until fluffy. This will better suit
>the requiremetns of the recipe.

Hmmm. Maybe not. Our wretched volume/weight measuring system creates
considerable confusion. I.e., 4oz of grated cheddar is one (8-oz
volume) cup, while 4oz of grated Parmesean is 1/2 (8-oz volume) cup.
Whipped butter is commonly sold in 8oz and 16oz tubs. An 8oz tub sure
looks like an 8oz volume to me. One could, of course, weigh it. :-)
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:02:38 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

> 8-oz
> volume)

That should really be 8 fl.oz. Maybe that's where the confusion in american
measures comes from. Not discriminating between weight ounces and fluid
ounces.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:02:38 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:46:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

(Mary) wrote

>>> I have a recipe calling for 8 ounces of whipped butter, but want to
>>> use stick butter instead. How much stick butter would be needed?
>>> Thanks!

>>8 ounces is 8 ounces, regardless of the texture or volume. Try whipping 2
>>stickes of slightly softened butter until fluffy. This will better suit
>>the requiremetns of the recipe.

> Hmmm. Maybe not. Our wretched volume/weight measuring system creates
> considerable confusion. I.e., 4oz of grated cheddar is one (8-oz
> volume) cup, while 4oz of grated Parmesean is 1/2 (8-oz volume) cup.
> Whipped butter is commonly sold in 8oz and 16oz tubs. An 8oz tub sure
> looks like an 8oz volume to me. One could, of course, weigh it. :-)

But then the recipe didn't state for " an 8 oz cup full".
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Dimitri

"Mary" > wrote in message
m...
> I have a recipe calling for 8 ounces of whipped butter, but want to
> use stick butter instead. How much stick butter would be needed?
> Thanks!

Since the recipe calls for a weight then use the same weight on stick or
un-whipped butter.

Whipped butter had air and about double the volume what is the purpose of
the butter in the recipe? Is it melted?

Dimitri

levelwave > wrote:
> Mary wrote:

>> I have a recipe calling for 8 ounces of whipped butter, but want to
>> use stick butter instead. How much stick butter would be needed?
>> Thanks!

> 1/2 a pound...

Yeh, but whipped butter typically contains more moisture than
solid butter. Without seeing the recipe, its hard to say for sure,
but in addition to substituting 8oz of solid butter, the OP might
need to add a little water to the recipe to make up for the moisture
that's lost by not using whipped butter. Than again, maybe not.

Wayne Boatwright

Tim Challenger <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote in
s.com:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:02:38 GMT, Frogleg wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:46:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

(Mary) wrote

>>>8 ounces is 8 ounces, regardless of the texture or volume. Try
>>>whipping 2 stickes of slightly softened butter until fluffy. This
>>>will better suit the requiremetns of the recipe.

>> Hmmm. Maybe not. Our wretched volume/weight measuring system creates
>> considerable confusion. I.e., 4oz of grated cheddar is one (8-oz
>> volume) cup, while 4oz of grated Parmesean is 1/2 (8-oz volume) cup.
>> Whipped butter is commonly sold in 8oz and 16oz tubs. An 8oz tub sure
>> looks like an 8oz volume to me. One could, of course, weigh it. :-)

> But then the recipe didn't state for " an 8 oz cup full".

Generally, in American recipes, if butter or solid shortening is listed
in ounces it means weight, not liquid (fluid), or cups full. Otherwise,
American recipes will state it in "cups" of butter or shortening.
Whipped butter or margarine has the amount listed on the container as 8
ounces (weight). Whether it's whipped or not makes little difference,
except that the OP's recipe stipulated whipped. I would assume that it's
desirable to have a whipped texture to contribute to the results.

Wayne
Frogleg

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:17:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Tim Challenger <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote
>
>> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:02:38 GMT, Frogleg wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:46:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

(Mary) wrote

>>> Hmmm. Maybe not. Our wretched volume/weight measuring system creates
>>> considerable confusion. I.e., 4oz of grated cheddar is one (8-oz
>>> volume) cup, while 4oz of grated Parmesean is 1/2 (8-oz volume) cup.
>>> Whipped butter is commonly sold in 8oz and 16oz tubs. An 8oz tub sure
>>> looks like an 8oz volume to me. One could, of course, weigh it. :-)

>> But then the recipe didn't state for " an 8 oz cup full".

>Generally, in American recipes, if butter or solid shortening is listed
>in ounces it means weight, not liquid (fluid), or cups full. Otherwise,
>American recipes will state it in "cups" of butter or shortening.
>Whipped butter or margarine has the amount listed on the container as 8
>ounces (weight). Whether it's whipped or not makes little difference,
>except that the OP's recipe stipulated whipped. I would assume that it's
>desirable to have a whipped texture to contribute to the results.

I disagree. While butter and margarine are packaged by weight and
wrappers are often marked with oz (weight) measures, when a recipe
says "1 cup of shortening," I take a rubber spatula and mash the
requisite *volume* into a measuring cup. Americans don't (sweeping
generalization, as I just bought a scale) weigh things. We stuff
things into measuring (volume) cups. We don't cook with pounds of
flour, but cups.Those wily Europeans have cleverly separated
measurements into weight and volume, so that 100gm of grated cheese is
a consistent quantity, even if you use the fine side of the grater.

Now I'm going to have to go to the grocery store and weigh cartons of
butter, whipped butter, and butter-like-substance to prove my point.
I'll betcha, however, that the OP's "8 oz of whipped butter" refers to
volume/package size and not weight. Now if it were "8 oz of butter,
whipped" that'd be a different kettle of fish. Or butter. :-)
Frogleg

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:53:37 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>Now I'm going to have to go to the grocery store and weigh cartons of
>butter, whipped butter, and butter-like-substance to prove my point.
>I'll betcha, however, that the OP's "8 oz of whipped butter" refers to
>volume/package size and not weight. Now if it were "8 oz of butter,
>whipped" that'd be a different kettle of fish. Or butter. :-)

I was wrong. I examined quite a few packages of butter, margarine,
whipped butter, and butter-like-substance and they were all labeled
"Xoz, net. weight." An 8oz tub of 'whipped' was larger than
non-whipped, but the labeling *was* in weight, not volume.

However, I stand by my position that *most* US recipe measurements
mean volume.
Wayne Boatwright

Frogleg > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:17:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Tim Challenger <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote

(Mary) wrote

>>> But then the recipe didn't state for " an 8 oz cup full".

>>Generally, in American recipes, if butter or solid shortening is
>>listed in ounces it means weight, not liquid (fluid), or cups full.
>>Otherwise, American recipes will state it in "cups" of butter or
>>shortening. Whipped butter or margarine has the amount listed on the
>>container as 8 ounces (weight). Whether it's whipped or not makes
>>little difference, except that the OP's recipe stipulated whipped. I
>>would assume that it's desirable to have a whipped texture to
>>contribute to the results.

> I disagree. While butter and margarine are packaged by weight and
> wrappers are often marked with oz (weight) measures, when a recipe
> says "1 cup of shortening," I take a rubber spatula and mash the
> requisite *volume* into a measuring cup. Americans don't (sweeping
> generalization, as I just bought a scale) weigh things. We stuff
> things into measuring (volume) cups. We don't cook with pounds of
> flour, but cups.Those wily Europeans have cleverly separated
> measurements into weight and volume, so that 100gm of grated cheese is
> a consistent quantity, even if you use the fine side of the grater.
>
> Now I'm going to have to go to the grocery store and weigh cartons of
> butter, whipped butter, and butter-like-substance to prove my point.
> I'll betcha, however, that the OP's "8 oz of whipped butter" refers to
> volume/package size and not weight. Now if it were "8 oz of butter,
> whipped" that'd be a different kettle of fish. Or butter. :-)

I'd be really interested to know. Generally, I agree completely with
what you're saying. However, I'm positive that the containers from the
store are in weight. The package of "4 sticks" of butter I have in my
freezer says Net Wt 16 oz. (1 lb) 454 g. My tub of vegetable shortening
say Net Wt. 48 oz. (3 lbs). That's weight, not volume, either solid or
liquid. Unfortunately, I don't happen to have a package of whipped
anything, but believe it will be weight. Please do post and let us know.

Our cooking practices don't always reflect what a recipe really
specifies.

Uh, I just found a recipe on the web for garlic butter that calls for a
"1 pound container of whipped butter or margarine".

http://www.dipstix.com/en-us/dept_4.html (scroll down)

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

Frogleg > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:53:37 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>
>>Now I'm going to have to go to the grocery store and weigh cartons of
>>butter, whipped butter, and butter-like-substance to prove my point.
>>I'll betcha, however, that the OP's "8 oz of whipped butter" refers to
>>volume/package size and not weight. Now if it were "8 oz of butter,
>>whipped" that'd be a different kettle of fish. Or butter. :-)

> I was wrong. I examined quite a few packages of butter, margarine,
> whipped butter, and butter-like-substance and they were all labeled
> "Xoz, net. weight." An 8oz tub of 'whipped' was larger than
> non-whipped, but the labeling *was* in weight, not volume.
>
> However, I stand by my position that *most* US recipe measurements
> mean volume.

Oh, sorry I didn't see your 2nd post before replying. Yes, I agree that
*most* US recipe measurements mean volume. However, in my collection
cookbooks they all seem to refer to "cups" of butter or shortening, which
certainly is volume. Of the few that give the measurement in ounces,
they do mean weight. I see this particular in baking recipes.

Wayne

Wayne

Whipped cream? Nancy2 General Cooking 3 30-09-2010 03:03 PM
Whipped cream? Lyndon Watson General Cooking 0 30-09-2010 02:57 AM
Whipped cream? notbob General Cooking 0 29-09-2010 05:35 PM
Whipped vs. Stick Butter!?? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 23 26-04-2009 02:13 AM
Whipped vs stick butter Scott[_11_] General Cooking 26 05-09-2007 06:10 PM