Sheellah

Default Le Creuset 5 or 6.5 Qt. Oval?

Was hoping someone could help me decide which oval size to get. I already have
a 5.5 qt. round I use mostly for soups and stews. I would be using it mostly
for a 3-4 lb. chicken or 3 lb. or so roast, as I mostly cook for one with
leftovers. Would the 6.5 size be overkill for those meats? I had read the meat
has to be snug in the pot to brown well. Thanks!
limey

"Sheellah" > wrote in message
> Was hoping someone could help me decide which oval size to get. I already

have
> a 5.5 qt. round I use mostly for soups and stews. I would be using it

mostly
> for a 3-4 lb. chicken or 3 lb. or so roast, as I mostly cook for one with
> leftovers. Would the 6.5 size be overkill for those meats? I had read the

meat
> has to be snug in the pot to brown well. Thanks!

Just remember - the bigger the le Creuset pot, the heavier it is. I have a
5.5 qt. round, too, and that's as heavy as I want. Just my 2 cents.

Dora

Peter Aitken

"Sheellah" > wrote in message
> Was hoping someone could help me decide which oval size to get. I already

have
> a 5.5 qt. round I use mostly for soups and stews. I would be using it

mostly
> for a 3-4 lb. chicken or 3 lb. or so roast, as I mostly cook for one with
> leftovers. Would the 6.5 size be overkill for those meats? I had read the

meat
> has to be snug in the pot to brown well. Thanks!

I have both these sizes and love them - they are perfect for things like
roasts, ducks, and other items that are not a good fit for a round or square
pan. The size has nothing to do with browning. There are trade-offs,
however. a close fit means you can (if you are braising) cook with less
liquid resulting in a richer sauce, but on the other hand there is less room
for added ingredients such as potatoes and vegetables. Seeing that you
usually cook for 1 the smaller size would probably be better but the larger
one would probably do almost as well.

--
Peter Aitken

Kate ......

limey wrote:

> "Sheellah" > wrote in message
> > Was hoping someone could help me decide which oval size to get. I already

> have
> > a 5.5 qt. round I use mostly for soups and stews. I would be using it

> mostly
> > for a 3-4 lb. chicken or 3 lb. or so roast, as I mostly cook for one with
> > leftovers. Would the 6.5 size be overkill for those meats? I had read the

> meat
> > has to be snug in the pot to brown well. Thanks!

> Just remember - the bigger the le Creuset pot, the heavier it is. I have a
> 5.5 qt. round, too, and that's as heavy as I want. Just my 2 cents.
>
> Dora

Hi ,
I just got home from a Super Wal Mart , they had a lot of small appliances on
sale today. I picked up a very nice three quart, oval, removable center, crock
.. Its very light . Only thirteen dollars. Go look. Bet you'll like them.
..... Hugs, kate