Wayne Boatwright

Default PING: Sheldon, Corned Beef

Sheldon,

I have used your corned beef recipe and doubt that I would ever make it any
other way again. It's terrific.

Unfortunately, I am the only person in our household that will eat corned
beef or pastrami. Sad, isn't it?

I would really like to enjoy this more often, but I have only made it when
expected company.

Is it possible to freeze the cooked meat and broth without losing most of
the quality? Would it be best to freeze the meat in the broth or
separately? I've hesitated trying this because I didn't want to waste the
meat.

Naturally, I would cook fresh vegetables for it after thawing and
reheating.

TIA

Wayne
PENMART01

Wayne Boatwright > writes:

>Is it possible to freeze the cooked meat and broth without losing most of
>the quality?

Corned beef is cured meat and cured meats generally do not freeze very well.
I've never tried freezing corned beef but then I rather look forward to eating
corned beef 3-4 days in a row, if no one else wants any that's a big plus, more
for me... corned beef sandwiches are sublime... corned beef hash is heavenly.

Trinidad Black Bean Soup
(Sopa de frijoles negros)

2 cups black beans, dried
1/2 pound corned beef
2 onions,chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 stalks celery
4 green onions, chopped
bay leaf
6 cups beef stock
salt and pepper
Garnish: curls of lime zest and either lime juice or pepper wine (see below)

Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain, discarding water, and put beans in a
large saucepan with the hunk of corned beef, onion, garlic, parsley, thyme,
celery, green onions, bay leaf, stock, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce
heat, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours, until beans are very tender.

Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf, fish out the corned beef hunk and set
aside. Lightly puree the soup, then return to the saucepan and adjust for
seasoning. Shred the corned beef and stir in. When you're ready to serve, ladle
into bowls, lace with the lime juice or pepper wine, and top with the lime
curl.

Pepper Wine: Make in advance; it keeps forever.

6 whole hot peppers
1 pint light rum or dry sherry
Mix together in a jar; cover; and let sit for 10 days. A little goes a long
way--just a few drops or so at a time in soups and sauces.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Hoges in WA

> >Is it possible to freeze the cooked meat and broth without losing most of
> >the quality?

Sheldon
I freeze mine- I cut it into chunks and freeze them individually. When I
want a good lunch, I unfreeze and heat so its juicy again, slice it and put
hot mustard on top and put it on crackers. Sometimes I put it in sandwiches
with lettuce underneath, but still with the mustard on top. Done it for a
few years now.

I missed your original recipe, though - would you be kind enough to repeat
it for me.
tia.
--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds

Wayne Boatwright

(PENMART01) wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright > writes:
>>
>>Is it possible to freeze the cooked meat and broth without losing most
>>of the quality?

> Corned beef is cured meat and cured meats generally do not freeze very
> well. I've never tried freezing corned beef but then I rather look
> forward to eating corned beef 3-4 days in a row, if no one else wants
> any that's a big plus, more for me... corned beef sandwiches are
> sublime... corned beef hash is heavenly.
>
> Trinidad Black Bean Soup
> (Sopa de frijoles negros)
>
> 2 cups black beans, dried
> 1/2 pound corned beef
> 2 onions,chopped
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 sprigs parsley
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
> 2 stalks celery
> 4 green onions, chopped
> bay leaf
> 6 cups beef stock
> salt and pepper
> Garnish: curls of lime zest and either lime juice or pepper wine (see
> below)
>
> Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain, discarding water, and put
> beans in a large saucepan with the hunk of corned beef, onion, garlic,
> parsley, thyme, celery, green onions, bay leaf, stock, and pepper.
> Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours,
> until beans are very tender.
>
> Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf, fish out the corned beef hunk and
> set aside. Lightly puree the soup, then return to the saucepan and
> adjust for seasoning. Shred the corned beef and stir in. When you're
> ready to serve, ladle into bowls, lace with the lime juice or pepper
> wine, and top with the lime curl.
>
> Pepper Wine: Make in advance; it keeps forever.
>
> 6 whole hot peppers
> 1 pint light rum or dry sherry
> Mix together in a jar; cover; and let sit for 10 days. A little goes a
> long way--just a few drops or so at a time in soups and sauces.
> ---
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Sheldon, this recipe sounds wonderful! I know I can certainly use some
of the meat this way. Thanks for posting it.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

"Hoges in WA" > wrote in
:

>> >Is it possible to freeze the cooked meat and broth without losing
>> >most of the quality?

> Sheldon
> I freeze mine- I cut it into chunks and freeze them individually.
> When I want a good lunch, I unfreeze and heat so its juicy again,
> slice it and put hot mustard on top and put it on crackers. Sometimes
> I put it in sandwiches with lettuce underneath, but still with the
> mustard on top. Done it for a few years now.
>
> I missed your original recipe, though - would you be kind enough to
> repeat it for me.
> tia.

On your experience, I will definitely try this. Sandwiches from the
leftovers would be my primary goal. Thanks!

Wayne

Ping sf corned beef Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 15 24-03-2016 09:14 AM
Ping: Sheldon Becca[_2_] General Cooking 4 12-03-2008 10:04 PM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM
PING: Sheldon Nexis General Cooking 11 14-03-2004 12:56 AM
PING Sheldon - Ground Beef King Tank General Cooking 12 19-02-2004 05:53 AM