Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Airline take-on box?

Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.

Ideas? - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
| Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
| offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
| Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
| sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
| small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
| is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.
|
| Ideas?

I had come across this article a few months ago, very relevant to
your posting. Personally I would sit quietly in sheer terror between
takeoff and landing, but that is due to a personal thing.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
> Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
> sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
> small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
> is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.
>
> Ideas? - Mike

If it looks too tasty, TSA will confiscate it -- they make up
regulations on the spot to harass travelers.

How about a can of sardines and some bread or crackers? They'll
probably let you on with its sharp-edged metal lid, but take away your
plastic spork.

(Being harassed is supposed to make us feel safe) HTH :-)

Snark,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 12:40*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Michael Horowitz wrote:

> If it looks too tasty, TSA will confiscate it -- they make up
> regulations on the spot to harass travelers.

Sure they do....just out of the blue.

> How about a can of sardines and some bread or crackers? *They'll
> probably let you on with its sharp-edged metal lid, but take away your
> plastic spork.
>
> (Being harassed is supposed to make us feel safe) *HTH :-)

You must be paranoid.

> Snark,
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
> Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
> sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
> small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
> is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.

Flying home from SJU last year, we bought salads at the airport
restaurant to take on the plane... dressing on the side.

TSA wouldn't allow the dressing container through security... so we
dumped it on the salads.... and had no problem.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:32:37 -0500, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:

>Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
>offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
>Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
>sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
>small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
>is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.

Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?
Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before you take off if you
want to eat that badly. Airport food is pretty good over all and not
very expensive anymore. I had a fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last
time I flew through there.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:01:58 -0800:

>> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box
>> lunches they offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat
>> during the flight. Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a
>> bottle of water is out, but sliced tomato with mozzarella and
>> balsamic vinegar is in, as is a small pack of carrots; a
>> candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami is good; buy wine
>> on board. a cookie is good.
>>

> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5
> hours long? Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before
> you take off if you want to eat that badly. Airport food is
> pretty good over all and not very expensive anymore. I had a
> fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last time I flew through there.

I'd suggest that your notions of expense are delusional. Routine food at
twice its real value seems to be the norm at airports.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> sf wrote on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:01:58 -0800:
>
>>> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box
>>> lunches they offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat
>>> during the flight. Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a
>>> bottle of water is out, but sliced tomato with mozzarella and
>>> balsamic vinegar is in, as is a small pack of carrots; a
>>> candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami is good; buy wine
>>> on board. a cookie is good.
>>>

>> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5
>> hours long? Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before
>> you take off if you want to eat that badly. Airport food is
>> pretty good over all and not very expensive anymore. I had a
>> fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last time I flew through there.

> I'd suggest that your notions of expense are delusional. Routine food at
> twice its real value seems to be the norm at airports.

Depends, PHL intentionally doesn't kill vendors with extra heavy duty
rents and big cuts of the revenue. That keeps prices down. They even
play an announcement something like "out food vendors don't charge
airport prices". I just flew into there from the left coast on the red
eye last week and had a large coffee and a egg-ham-cheese sandwich for
like $3.50 while waiting for my connecting flight.

On the other hand I got rerouted through LAS with a four hour wait
after equipment trouble going the other way and a simple sandwich there
was $10.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> sf wrote on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:01:58 -0800:
>
> >> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box
> >> lunches they offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat
> >> during the flight. Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a
> >> bottle of water is out, but sliced tomato with mozzarella and
> >> balsamic vinegar is in, as is a small pack of carrots; a
> >> candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami is good; buy wine
> >> on board. a cookie is good.
> >>

> > Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5
> > hours long? Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before
> > you take off if you want to eat that badly. Airport food is
> > pretty good over all and not very expensive anymore. I had a
> > fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last time I flew through there.

> I'd suggest that your notions of expense are delusional. Routine food at
> twice its real value seems to be the norm at airports.

That's not been my experience. In PHL, the food prices at the
restaurants are priced the same as anywhere else in the city. I fly a
few times a year. The food at most airports is higher than in the
nearest city, but I wouldn't say its double the price. Besides, on a
trip that requires air travel, paying an extra few dollars of a sandwich
or something else at an airport isn't worth worrying about.

For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
airport, is that really such a big deal?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,

>>> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5
>>> hours long? Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before
>>> you take off if you want to eat that badly. Airport food is
>>> pretty good over all and not very expensive anymore. I had a
>>> fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last time I flew through there.

>> I'd suggest that your notions of expense are delusional. Routine food at
>> twice its real value seems to be the norm at airports.

> That's not been my experience. In PHL, the food prices at the
> restaurants are priced the same as anywhere else in the city. I fly a
> few times a year. The food at most airports is higher than in the
> nearest city, but I wouldn't say its double the price. Besides, on a
> trip that requires air travel, paying an extra few dollars of a sandwich
> or something else at an airport isn't worth worrying about.

The last time (few weeks ago) I went through PHL they actually played an
announcement something like "welcome to Philadelphia, we don't charge
airport prices in any of the restaurants at the airport..."

> For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
> airport, is that really such a big deal?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
> airport, is that really such a big deal?

Of course not. When you have a captive audience, by all means, gouge
them. They deserve it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
>> For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
>> airport, is that really such a big deal?

> Of course not. When you have a captive audience, by all means, gouge
> them. They deserve it.

I don't think it's gouging, they have to pay high rents in those
places. Me, I'm happy they're available when I'm stuck at the
airport.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
>> For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
>> airport, is that really such a big deal?

> Of course not. When you have a captive audience, by all means, gouge
> them. They deserve it.

Often the blame rests squarely with the local weasel politicians who add
extra little "hidden" taxes on everything thinking everyone is stupid
and just won't notice. One of the favorites for that is airports and car
rentals. If you were a merchant that had say two locations (one airport,
one off airport) and you were hit with additional "hidden" taxes and
fees at the airport location would you charge more at that location?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote:

>> I'd suggest that your notions of expense are delusional. Routine food at
>> twice its real value seems to be the norm at airports.

>That's not been my experience. In PHL, the food prices at the
>restaurants are priced the same as anywhere else in the city. I fly a
>few times a year. The food at most airports is higher than in the
>nearest city, but I wouldn't say its double the price. Besides, on a
>trip that requires air travel, paying an extra few dollars of a sandwich
>or something else at an airport isn't worth worrying about.

>For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
>airport, is that really such a big deal?

If you travel a lot, and your budget is reasonably slender, yes it
can add up.

I can't eat out at known good restaurants as often as I wish, so
why make the equation even worse by buying airport food?

Not that all airport food everywhere is not worth it. There are
a scattering of acceptable places. The Ebisu at SFO, or the
Wolfgang Pucks' at various airports such as DIA. But you cannot
necessarily plan on these, as unseen delays may put you in a
crunch for getting on your flight.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 7:07*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Stan Horwitz > wrote in news:stan-536E03.05524504122009
> @atoulouse-552-1-42-74.w92-136.abo.wanadoo.fr:
>
> > For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
> > airport, is that really such a big deal?

> Airport (including airline) food is risky business, i.e., food poisoning.
>
> It's too transient a business to mess with, imho.
>
> Andy

Cite recent examples of food poisoning on an airline (Iata airlines )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Stan Horwitz > wrote in news:stan-536E03.05524504122009
> @atoulouse-552-1-42-74.w92-136.abo.wanadoo.fr:
>
>> For example, if a salad or a sandwich costs an extra $1 or $2 at an
>> airport, is that really such a big deal?

> Airport (including airline) food is risky business, i.e., food poisoning.
>
> It's too transient a business to mess with, imho.
>
> Andy

If anything it is just the opposite. They do it everyday using well
proven methods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:32:37 -0500, Michael Horowitz
> > wrote:
>
>> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
>> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
>> Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
>> sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
>> small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
>> is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.
>>

> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?
> Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before you take off if you
> want to eat that badly. Airport food is pretty good over all and not
> very expensive anymore. I had a fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last
> time I flew through there.

It is not just the flight time. There is the time it takes to get to the
airport, being there early, layovers, possible delays. Last we we flew
Estonia and Scandinavia. That involved leaving here to an airport and
hour and a half from home and allowing extra time for traffic problems
and to get parking lot and over to the airport 2-3 hours ahead of the
flight time. A few years before that we flew Buffalo to Denver with a
connection in Cleveland. It is at least an hour to the airport, provided
that it is clear sailing through the border, which it often isn't. We
were told to be there an hour before the flight. We had a layover in
Cleveland, then another 3 hour flight. The food on each of the two
flights snacks. I suppose we could have had some expensive crappy fast
food at the airport. While flying time was four hours total, it was more
like 8 hours from the time we left home until we arrived very hungry in
Denver.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:10:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:32:37 -0500, Michael Horowitz
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
>>> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
>>> Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
>>> sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
>>> small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
>>> is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.
>>>

>> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?
>> Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before you take off if you
>> want to eat that badly. Airport food is pretty good over all and not
>> very expensive anymore. I had a fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last
>> time I flew through there.

>It is not just the flight time. There is the time it takes to get to the
>airport, being there early, layovers, possible delays. Last we we flew
> Estonia and Scandinavia. That involved leaving here to an airport and
>hour and a half from home and allowing extra time for traffic problems
>and to get parking lot and over to the airport 2-3 hours ahead of the
>flight time. A few years before that we flew Buffalo to Denver with a
>connection in Cleveland. It is at least an hour to the airport, provided
>that it is clear sailing through the border, which it often isn't. We
>were told to be there an hour before the flight. We had a layover in
>Cleveland, then another 3 hour flight. The food on each of the two
>flights snacks. I suppose we could have had some expensive crappy fast
>food at the airport. While flying time was four hours total, it was more
>like 8 hours from the time we left home until we arrived very hungry in
>Denver.

Not relevant and a sob story I can top. The OP was about a FOUR hour
flight IAD-ABQ.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 5:20*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:10:24 -0500, Dave Smith
>

> > wrote:
> >sf wrote:
> >> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:32:37 -0500, Michael Horowitz

> >> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?
> >> Watch a movie instead, eat in the airport before you take off if you
> >> want to eat that badly. *Airport food is pretty good over all and not
> >> very expensive anymore. *I had a fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last
> >> time I flew through there.

> >It is not just the flight time. There is the time it takes to get to the
> >airport, being there early, layovers, possible *delays. Last we we flew
> > *Estonia and Scandinavia. That involved leaving here to an airport and
> >hour and a half from home and allowing extra time for traffic problems
> >and to get parking lot and over to the airport 2-3 hours ahead of the
> >flight time. *A few years before that we flew Buffalo to Denver with a
> >connection in Cleveland. It is at least an hour to the airport, provided
> >that it is clear sailing through the border, which it often isn't. We
> >were told to be there an hour before the flight. *We had a layover in
> >Cleveland, then another 3 hour flight. The food on each of the two
> >flights snacks. *I suppose we could have had some expensive crappy fast
> >food at the airport. While flying time was four hours total, it was more
> >like 8 hours from the time we left home until we arrived very hungry in
> >Denver.

> Not relevant and a sob story I can top. *The OP was about a FOUR hour
> flight IAD-ABQ.

Which, with the drive to the airport, the 2 hour wait, and then the 4
hour flight, is at minimum 7 hours, unless like me you live 6 minutes
from the local airport. <g>

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:16:39 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>On Dec 3, 5:20*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:10:24 -0500, Dave Smith
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >It is not just the flight time. There is the time it takes to get to the
>> >airport, being there early, layovers, possible *delays. Last we we flew
>> > *Estonia and Scandinavia. That involved leaving here to an airport and
>> >hour and a half from home and allowing extra time for traffic problems
>> >and to get parking lot and over to the airport 2-3 hours ahead of the
>> >flight time. *A few years before that we flew Buffalo to Denver with a
>> >connection in Cleveland. It is at least an hour to the airport, provided
>> >that it is clear sailing through the border, which it often isn't. We
>> >were told to be there an hour before the flight. *We had a layover in
>> >Cleveland, then another 3 hour flight. The food on each of the two
>> >flights snacks. *I suppose we could have had some expensive crappy fast
>> >food at the airport. While flying time was four hours total, it was more
>> >like 8 hours from the time we left home until we arrived very hungry in
>> >Denver.

>> Not relevant and a sob story I can top. *The OP was about a FOUR hour
>> flight IAD-ABQ.

>Which, with the drive to the airport, the 2 hour wait, and then the 4
>hour flight, is at minimum 7 hours, unless like me you live 6 minutes
>from the local airport. <g>

Personally, even 7 hours without food wouldn't phase me. BTDT So if
eating is *that* important, there are 24 hour restaurants to stop at
before the airport and plenty of places inside the airport to eat in
around the clock.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> It is not just the flight time. There is the time it takes to get to
> the airport, being there early, layovers, possible delays. Last we we
> flew Estonia and Scandinavia. That involved leaving here to an
> airport and hour and a half from home and allowing extra time for
> traffic problems and to get parking lot and over to the airport 2-3
> hours ahead of the flight time. A few years before that we flew
> Buffalo to Denver with a connection in Cleveland. It is at least an
> hour to the airport, provided that it is clear sailing through the
> border, which it often isn't. We were told to be there an hour before
> the flight. We had a layover in Cleveland, then another 3 hour
> flight. The food on each of the two flights snacks. I suppose we
> could have had some expensive crappy fast food at the airport. While
> flying time was four hours total, it was more like 8 hours from the
> time we left home until we arrived very hungry in Denver.

Sounds horrible. We had a flight out of the Dallas airport, and most of
the restaurants were closed before 8:00pm. We found a BBQ place that
was still open, and right after we got our order they closed. They told
the next people they were closed, then they stared at as as if we did
something wrong. Sorry. :-( We had a flight out of the Shreveport
airport, and their food service was at 7:00pm. We had to eat food from
a vending machine. We are flying out of Shreveport again in January, and
I am bringing my own food. Sonsabitches... lol

Oh yeah, what to bring on the plane. You can bring pizza, tacos,
biscuit sandwiches, hamburgers and salads, but the condiments have to be
on the food, or in packages less than 3 oz. Try to avoid anything
smelly like sardines or boiled eggs. I usually take almonds to snack
on. Have a nice flight.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> It is not just the flight time. There is the time it takes to get to
>> the airport, being there early, layovers, possible delays. Last we we
>> flew Estonia and Scandinavia. That involved leaving here to an
>> airport and hour and a half from home and allowing extra time for
>> traffic problems and to get parking lot and over to the airport 2-3
>> hours ahead of the flight time. A few years before that we flew
>> Buffalo to Denver with a connection in Cleveland. It is at least an
>> hour to the airport, provided that it is clear sailing through the
>> border, which it often isn't. We were told to be there an hour before
>> the flight. We had a layover in Cleveland, then another 3 hour
>> flight. The food on each of the two flights snacks. I suppose we
>> could have had some expensive crappy fast food at the airport. While
>> flying time was four hours total, it was more like 8 hours from the
>> time we left home until we arrived very hungry in Denver.

> Sounds horrible.

Well, it wasn't that bad. I was just thinking about how I can sympathize
with someone wanting to take something to eat on a plane. It is not just
the time in the air but all the time to get to the airport and to be
there ahead of time for the flight, layovers etc. Most airports don't
have much to offer in the way of food, and airport food tends to be
expensive.

> We had a flight out of the Dallas airport, and most of
> the restaurants were closed before 8:00pm. We found a BBQ place that
> was still open, and right after we got our order they closed. They told
> the next people they were closed, then they stared at as as if we did
> something wrong. Sorry. :-( We had a flight out of the Shreveport
> airport, and their food service was at 7:00pm. We had to eat food from
> a vending machine. We are flying out of Shreveport again in January, and
> I am bringing my own food. Sonsabitches... lol

My worst experience was probably the layover at Schipol last year
because it was a four hour layover. We had been fed on the plane on the
way over, but the food was not great. We were dog tired. We could have
had a bite to eat just to help pass the time. We didn't have any Euros
and the exchange rates and transaction fees would have made a snack
really expensive. What we really needed was sleep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?

Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of the
flight which may mean leaving home many more hours prior? And
they may be transferring to another flight (with not much time
between) which adds additional time to their fasting period.

Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that bad.
Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or cognac after
meals and complementary wine with dinner.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 9:26*am, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?

> Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of the
> flight which may mean leaving home many more hours prior? *And
> they may be transferring to another flight (with not much time
> between) which adds additional time to their fasting period.
>
> Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that bad.
> Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or cognac after
> meals and complementary wine with dinner.
>
> gloria p

While certain foods are ok as carry on "snacks"
Some airlines actually forbid this useing a number of devious
reasons
(as it cuts into their after sales marketing)
To counter that use gluten free crackers etc as most do not carry a
broad range of dietry
or religious fare .

However, on meals that may contain cooked meats or many other
types of foods
the airlines are not only well within their rights but also is an
Duty of care requirment to other pax
in case one pax gets ill from what they bought on board and forces
the aircraft to divert
to offload the sick pax .

At considerable expense to the carrier and greater disruption to the
other pax especially if
the rest of the aircraft busts curfew or crew hours and every one
has to be put up in hotels
spare crews (if available etc) called in and so on
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:26:18 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>

>> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?

>Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of the
>flight which may mean leaving home many more hours prior? And
>they may be transferring to another flight (with not much time
>between) which adds additional time to their fasting period.

Arriving that far ahead of time means there's plenty of time to eat at
the airport before the flight takes off. Not planning a liberal lay
over for change of flights not only means no snacking, it also means
you may not make your connecting flight. So, it's bad planning IMO...
especially for those who just *have* to eat every two minutes.

>Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that bad.
>Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or cognac after
>meals and complementary wine with dinner.

Nice. Which airline? Business class?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:52:02 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:26:18 -0700, "gloria.p" >
>wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>

>>> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?

>>Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of the
>>flight which may mean leaving home many more hours prior? And
>>they may be transferring to another flight (with not much time
>>between) which adds additional time to their fasting period.

>Arriving that far ahead of time means there's plenty of time to eat at
>the airport before the flight takes off. Not planning a liberal lay
>over for change of flights not only means no snacking, it also means
>you may not make your connecting flight. So, it's bad planning IMO...
>especially for those who just *have* to eat every two minutes.
>
>>Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that bad.
>>Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or cognac after
>>meals and complementary wine with dinner.
>>

>Nice. Which airline? Business class?

I must be odd, but I have never minded airplane food. Of course it
has taken a nose dive in the last 5 years and rarer---sometimes I
actually get hungry in anticipation of landing. I have always found
airplane food breaks up the monotony of flying. Everything seems
tasty and served is such cute amounts.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pure wrote on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:19:33 -1000:

>> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:26:18 -0700, "gloria.p"
>> > wrote:

>>> Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of
>>> the flight which may mean leaving home many more hours
>>> prior? And they may be transferring to another flight (with
>>> not much time between) which adds additional time to their
>>> fasting period.

>> Arriving that far ahead of time means there's plenty of time
>> to eat at the airport before the flight takes off. Not
>> planning a liberal lay over for change of flights not only
>> means no snacking, it also means you may not make your
>> connecting flight. So, it's bad planning IMO... especially
>> for those who just *have* to eat every two minutes.
>>
>>> Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that
>>> bad. Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or
>>> cognac after meals and complementary wine with dinner.
>>>

>> Nice. Which airline? Business class?

> I must be odd, but I have never minded airplane food. Of course it
> has taken a nose dive in the last 5 years and
> rarer---sometimes I actually get hungry in anticipation of
> landing. I have always found airplane food breaks up the
> monotony of flying. Everything seems tasty and served is such
> cute amounts.

In the days when you could get it, airline food did break up the routine
of reading, sleeping and not watching the usually abysmal movie.
However, the food was bland and rather unchanging in my opinion. It was
not perhaps the fried chicken of decades ago that I swear I ate over
every state in the union.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:19:33 -1000, pure kona >
wrote:

>I have always found
>airplane food breaks up the monotony of flying.

That's the only reason I can come up with for serving food on short
flights.

>Everything seems tasty and served is such cute amounts.

The food can be tasty if you choose well. To be honest, I like the
packaging better than the food. I snagged one of the black
rectangular "bowls" that salad came in and used it to stow my watch
and ring when I took them off at night. It's on top of my dresser now
serving as a catch all.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pure kona wrote:
> I must be odd, but I have never minded airplane food. Of course it
> has taken a nose dive in the last 5 years and rarer---sometimes I
> actually get hungry in anticipation of landing. I have always found
> airplane food breaks up the monotony of flying. Everything seems
> tasty and served is such cute amounts.
>
> aloha,
> Cea

On an early flight, they were serving breakfast. They served apples
that were so small, if I had two of them I could've had earrings. :-)

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in -
september.org:

> sf wrote:
>

>> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?

> Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of the
> flight which may mean leaving home many more hours prior? And
> they may be transferring to another flight (with not much time
> between) which adds additional time to their fasting period.
>
> Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that bad.
> Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or cognac after
> meals and complementary wine with dinner.

All international flights out of Australia, the beer, wine, and spirits is
free for as long as you want........ so long as you don't get tooooooo
rowdy!!

That is, all except Royal Brunei Airlines......... they are booze free.

I've never flown Royal Brunei Airlines, and I doubt I ever will :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 1:19*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> "gloria.p" > wrote -
> september.org:
>
> > sf wrote:

> >> Why do people want to eat on a flight that is less than 5 hours long?

> > Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of the
> > flight which may mean leaving home many more hours prior? *And
> > they may be transferring to another flight (with not much time
> > between) which adds additional time to their fasting period.

> > Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that bad.
> > Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or cognac after
> > meals and complementary wine with dinner.

> All international flights out of Australia, the beer, wine, and spirits is
> free for as long as you want........ so long as you don't get tooooooo
> rowdy!!
>
> That is, all except Royal Brunei Airlines......... they are booze free.
>
> I've never flown Royal Brunei Airlines, and I doubt I ever will :-)
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Brisbane * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Australia * * *
>
> If we are not meant to eat animals,
> why are they made of meat?

Royal Brunei allows you to take your own on board

Gets served in Tea pots
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pits09 wrote:
> On Dec 4, 1:19 pm, PeterL > wrote:
>> "gloria.p" > wrote -
>> september.org:

>>> Because they must arrive at the airport two hours ahead of the
>>> flight which may mean leaving home many more hours prior? And
>>> they may be transferring to another flight (with not much time
>>> between) which adds additional time to their fasting period.
>>> Luckily most foreign flights do serve food and it's not that bad.
>>> Our last flights included a choice of Bailey's or cognac after
>>> meals and complementary wine with dinner.

>> All international flights out of Australia, the beer, wine, and spirits is
>> free for as long as you want........ so long as you don't get tooooooo
>> rowdy!!
>>
>> That is, all except Royal Brunei Airlines......... they are booze free.
>>
>> I've never flown Royal Brunei Airlines, and I doubt I ever will :-)
>>
>> --
>> Peter Lucas
>> Brisbane
>> Australia
>>
>> If we are not meant to eat animals,
>> why are they made of meat?

> Royal Brunei allows you to take your own on board
>
> Gets served in Tea pots

You make me think of an excuse... If we are not meant to eat meat, why
are we made of meat?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 3:01*pm, sf > wrote:

> *I had a fabulous burrito at O'Hare the last time I flew through there.

Even at the airport. My very favorite thing about CHI is the ubiquity
of great burritos. We visit CHI at least once a year, and I always go
for the burritos.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michael Horowitz > wrote:

> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
> Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out, but
> sliced tomato with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar is in, as is a
> small pack of carrots; a candelabra is out; crackers, cheese, salami
> is good; buy wine on board. a cookie is good.
>
> Ideas? - Mike

How long of a flight? Anything six hours of less, I just take a little
snack such as some cheese and crackers on board with me. Depending on
the departure time of the flight, I might eat something more substantial
at the airport prior to departure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michael Horowitz > wrote:

> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
> Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out,

Water can be bought once you've cleared security --stuff bought on that
side of the gate can go onboard.

I like to bring a couple apples and some trail mix.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>
> > Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
> > offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
> > Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out,

> Water can be bought once you've cleared security --stuff bought on
> that side of the gate can go onboard.

You can also bring an empty bottle and fill it from a fountain.

Brian

--
Day 304 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:15:28 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>
>> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
>> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.
>> Can't be anything TSA wouldn't allow, so a bottle of water is out,

>Water can be bought once you've cleared security --stuff bought on that
>side of the gate can go onboard.

I bring an empty water bottle through security and have never had a
problem there. I just fill it on from a fountain on the gate-side.

>I like to bring a couple apples and some trail mix.

I always travel with similar snacks.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
> Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
> offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.

Why do you NEED to eat during the flight??

As an adult (traveling with no kids), I can wait until I get to my
destination before requiring a meal!!

WTF is the question here?? airline travel has new rules, so what? Suck it
up & do your trip. They DO serve alcohol (albeit expensive) on those
flights, so consider it an extended happy hour for C sakes. What are you -
a lost soul?

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 4:11*pm, "Van" > wrote:
> "Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message

> > Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
> > offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.

> Why do you NEED to eat during the flight??
>
> As an adult (traveling with no kids), I can wait until I get to my
> destination before requiring a meal!!
>
> WTF is the question here?? *airline travel has new rules, so what? *Suck it
> up & do your trip. *They DO serve alcohol (albeit expensive) on those
> flights, so consider it an extended happy hour for C sakes. *What are you -
> a lost soul?
>
> Van

Here, here!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown > wrote:

>On Dec 3, 4:11*pm, "Van" > wrote:

>> "Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message

>> > Having just flown IAD-ABQ and noticed the in-flight box lunches they
>> > offer, I was wondering what you pack to eat during the flight.

>> Why do you NEED to eat during the flight??

>> As an adult (traveling with no kids), I can wait until I get to my
>> destination before requiring a meal!!

>> WTF is the question here?? *airline travel has new rules, so what? *Suck it
>> up & do your trip. *They DO serve alcohol (albeit expensive) on those
>> flights, so consider it an extended happy hour for C sakes. *What are you -
>> a lost soul?

>Here, here!!!

OTOH the airline can delay you on a ground hold for 2, 4, sometimes 6
hours in which case, when added to the flight time and other
delays, you might get damned hungry by the end of it.

The prudent traveler brings water and at has at least some food
on hand. (Maybe not much -- a bag of nuts and a few Clif bars is
adequate.)

Steve

Airline chicken Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 20 18-09-2012 09:19 PM
Airline Food [email protected] General Cooking 7 19-04-2005 07:09 PM
Airline food Dimitri General Cooking 85 09-02-2005 10:22 AM
Airline food Dimitri General Cooking 0 13-01-2005 06:20 PM
Airline food Dimitri General Cooking 0 13-01-2005 06:20 PM