Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortbread 3

I made true to 3:2:1 recipe. Dry hard bricks. Tasty, but bricks.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I made true to 3:2:1 recipe. Dry hard bricks. Tasty, but bricks.
>
> nb

Possibly overbaked. The 3:2:1 recipes work just fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-12-03, Arri London > wrote:

> Possibly overbaked. The 3:2:1 recipes work just fine.

No.

They weren't bad. Tasted greatw. Jes a tad too hard.

Perfectly baked. No discernible browning at outside bottom edges, very light
browning on bottom. Baked at 275-300F. Any less, and it wouldn't
even qualify as baked.

Next time, I'm gonna reduce flour by 1/6th and see how that works.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:40:42 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-12-03, Arri London > wrote:
>
>> Possibly overbaked. The 3:2:1 recipes work just fine.

>No.
>
>They weren't bad. Tasted greatw. Jes a tad too hard.
>
>Perfectly baked. No discernible browning at outside bottom edges, very light
>browning on bottom. Baked at 275-300F. Any less, and it wouldn't
>even qualify as baked.
>
>Next time, I'm gonna reduce flour by 1/6th and see how that works.

Do you think any part of the problem could be attributed to altitude?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I made true to 3:2:1 recipe. Dry hard bricks. Tasty, but bricks.
>
> nb

Oops.

Make them large, add a bit of fruit, then mail them to relatives as
doorstops. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-12-03, Omelet > wrote:

> Make them large, add a bit of fruit, then mail them to relatives as
> doorstops. <g>

Wiseacre!

(hey Om, what's a good firearms group other than that lame moderated
group?)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2009-12-03, Arri London > wrote:
>
> > Possibly overbaked. The 3:2:1 recipes work just fine.

> No.
>
> They weren't bad. Tasted greatw. Jes a tad too hard.
>
> Perfectly baked. No discernible browning at outside bottom edges, very light
> browning on bottom. Baked at 275-300F. Any less, and it wouldn't
> even qualify as baked.
>
> Next time, I'm gonna reduce flour by 1/6th and see how that works.
>
> nb

Overkneaded? It does make a big difference.

Or else use a small amount of rice flour in place of some of the wheat
flour. That's perfectly traditional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:40:42 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2009-12-03, Arri London > wrote:
> >
> >> Possibly overbaked. The 3:2:1 recipes work just fine.

> >No.
> >
> >They weren't bad. Tasted greatw. Jes a tad too hard.
> >
> >Perfectly baked. No discernible browning at outside bottom edges, very light
> >browning on bottom. Baked at 275-300F. Any less, and it wouldn't
> >even qualify as baked.
> >
> >Next time, I'm gonna reduce flour by 1/6th and see how that works.
> >

> Do you think any part of the problem could be attributed to altitude?

No. All my shortbread is made at high altitude and comes out correctly.
Overkneading is a common problem. Shortbread dough needs to be handled
very gently to prevent too much gluten formation and hardness.

Shortbread Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 6 12-12-2013 10:28 AM
Shortbread again notbob General Cooking 9 22-11-2009 05:05 AM
shortbread elaine General Cooking 1 11-12-2006 07:30 PM
Shortbread MaryMc Recipes (moderated) 0 06-02-2006 08:49 AM
Shortbread Kathy General Cooking 2 16-12-2005 08:39 AM