Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortbread again

Using same basic recipe.

2 C flour
8 oz sweet butter (2 sticks/cubes)
1/2 C sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt

This time I used granulated sugar and ran it through the blender.
Looks good. Finer than baking or bar sugar, but just a tad bit more
coarse than powdered sugar. Seems like a good trade off ...or is it?

This practice of blending granulated sugar seems pretty straight
forward, but I wonder. Basically, I'm essentially doing the culinary
equivalent of using a fairly sharp blade to blend loose sandpaper
grit. IOW, this is gonna make popcicle sticks of my blender blade
tuit de suite! Not a cost effective use of a blender. There must be
a better way.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> Using same basic recipe.
>
> 2 C flour
> 8 oz sweet butter (2 sticks/cubes)
> 1/2 C sugar
> 1 t vanilla extract
> 1/4 t salt
>
> This time I used granulated sugar and ran it through the blender.
> Looks good. Finer than baking or bar sugar, but just a tad bit more
> coarse than powdered sugar. Seems like a good trade off ...or is it?
>
> This practice of blending granulated sugar seems pretty straight
> forward, but I wonder. Basically, I'm essentially doing the culinary
> equivalent of using a fairly sharp blade to blend loose sandpaper
> grit. IOW, this is gonna make popcicle sticks of my blender blade
> tuit de suite! Not a cost effective use of a blender. There must be
> a better way.
>
> nb

Your blender blades are harder than sugar. It's NOT going to hurt them!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 10:12*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Using same basic recipe. *
>
> 2 C flour
> 8 oz sweet butter (2 sticks/cubes)
> 1/2 C sugar
> 1 t vanilla extract
> 1/4 t salt
>
> This time I used granulated sugar and ran it through the blender.
> Looks good. *Finer than baking or bar sugar, but just a tad bit more
> coarse than powdered sugar. *Seems like a good trade off ...or is it?
>
> This practice of blending granulated sugar seems pretty straight
> forward, but I wonder. *Basically, I'm essentially doing the culinary
> equivalent of using a fairly sharp blade to blend loose sandpaper
> grit. *IOW, this is gonna make popcicle sticks of my blender blade
> tuit de suite! *Not a cost effective use of a blender. *There must be
> a better way.

The problem I've had making shortbread is evenly distributing the
salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-21, notbob > wrote:
> Using same basic recipe.
>
> 2 C flour (340g)
> 8 oz sweet butter (113g)
> 1/2 C sugar
> 1 t vanilla extract
> 1/4 t salt
>
> This time I used granulated sugar and ran it through the blender.

OMG! These are to die for. As good as Royal Edinburgh shortbread
cookies. Only one problem: After 2 martinis (dbls?) I can only guess
at what I baked!

I think what I did was use 1/3 too little flour and dbl the sugar. I
got mixed up between the volume measurements and smclaren's 3:2:1
weight ratio recipe and had big fun with my kitchen scale which I
finally dug out from moving. My guess is I actually used 113g sugar,
113g butter, and 226g flour, which makes it 2:1:1. Whatever, they are
killer, if brutally sweet.

Not sure where I'll go from here. Next time, I think I'll try
increasing flour while decreasing sugar, perhaps 282g flour and 85g
sugar and slowly creep towards smclaren's 3:2:1 recipe. I know I'll
keep the 1-1/4 tsp of premium vanilla extract. I also blendered up
about 2 C up granulated sugar, so have plenty left. Unfortunately, I
now see another reason for the addition of corn starch. My pwdr sugar
cakes at a mere glance.

Hey, this baking thing is fun!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2009-11-21, notbob > wrote:
> > Using same basic recipe.
> >
> > 2 C flour (340g)
> > 8 oz sweet butter (113g)
> > 1/2 C sugar
> > 1 t vanilla extract
> > 1/4 t salt
> >
> > This time I used granulated sugar and ran it through the blender.

> OMG! These are to die for. As good as Royal Edinburgh shortbread
> cookies. Only one problem: After 2 martinis (dbls?) I can only guess
> at what I baked!
>
> I think what I did was use 1/3 too little flour and dbl the sugar. I
> got mixed up between the volume measurements and smclaren's 3:2:1
> weight ratio recipe and had big fun with my kitchen scale which I
> finally dug out from moving. My guess is I actually used 113g sugar,
> 113g butter, and 226g flour, which makes it 2:1:1. Whatever, they are
> killer, if brutally sweet.
>
> Not sure where I'll go from here. Next time, I think I'll try
> increasing flour while decreasing sugar, perhaps 282g flour and 85g
> sugar and slowly creep towards smclaren's 3:2:1 recipe. I know I'll
> keep the 1-1/4 tsp of premium vanilla extract. I also blendered up
> about 2 C up granulated sugar, so have plenty left. Unfortunately, I
> now see another reason for the addition of corn starch. My pwdr sugar
> cakes at a mere glance.
>
> Hey, this baking thing is fun!
>
> nb

Glad it's working for you. :-)
Good shortbreads are the gods.
Now you've got me jonesing for some! <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Using same basic recipe.
>
> 2 C flour
> 8 oz sweet butter (2 sticks/cubes)
> 1/2 C sugar
> 1 t vanilla extract
> 1/4 t salt
>
> This time I used granulated sugar and ran it through the blender.
> Looks good. Finer than baking or bar sugar, but just a tad bit more
> coarse than powdered sugar. Seems like a good trade off ...or is it?
>
> This practice of blending granulated sugar seems pretty straight
> forward, but I wonder. Basically, I'm essentially doing the culinary
> equivalent of using a fairly sharp blade to blend loose sandpaper
> grit. IOW, this is gonna make popcicle sticks of my blender blade
> tuit de suite! Not a cost effective use of a blender. There must be
> a better way.
>
> nb

Won't harm the blender blades. But do it the old-fashioned way with a
wire pastry blender or your impeccably clean hands. Has worked for a
very long time. Just don't overmix.

Might I suggest leaving out the vanilla and also substituting a small
part (1/4 c or so) of the wheat flour with rice flour? Closer to
traditional shortbread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2009-11-21, notbob > wrote:
> > Using same basic recipe.
> >
> > 2 C flour (340g)
> > 8 oz sweet butter (113g)
> > 1/2 C sugar
> > 1 t vanilla extract
> > 1/4 t salt
> >
> > This time I used granulated sugar and ran it through the blender.

> OMG! These are to die for. As good as Royal Edinburgh shortbread
> cookies. Only one problem: After 2 martinis (dbls?) I can only guess
> at what I baked!
>
> I think what I did was use 1/3 too little flour and dbl the sugar. I
> got mixed up between the volume measurements and smclaren's 3:2:1
> weight ratio recipe and had big fun with my kitchen scale which I
> finally dug out from moving. My guess is I actually used 113g sugar,
> 113g butter, and 226g flour, which makes it 2:1:1. Whatever, they are
> killer, if brutally sweet.
>
> Not sure where I'll go from here. Next time, I think I'll try
> increasing flour while decreasing sugar, perhaps 282g flour and 85g
> sugar and slowly creep towards smclaren's 3:2:1 recipe. I know I'll
> keep the 1-1/4 tsp of premium vanilla extract. I also blendered up
> about 2 C up granulated sugar, so have plenty left. Unfortunately, I
> now see another reason for the addition of corn starch. My pwdr sugar
> cakes at a mere glance.
>
> Hey, this baking thing is fun!
>
> nb

Try this recipe (of my own invention):

Chile Shortbread.

Ingredients:

1 3/4 c AP/plain flour
2/3 c granulated sugar
1/4 c rice flour or cornstarch/cornflour
1/2 tsp powdered red chile (hot or not as liked)
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz (1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled)
2 1/2 tsp freshly-grated lemon rind (yellow part only)
few drops of fresh lemon juice

Preparation:

Heat oven to 300F.

Mix the flours, sugar, chile powder and salt. Chop the butter into dice
and cut into the dry ingredients. The mixture should look like crumbs.
Fold in the lemon rind and a few drops of lemon juice. Knead the dough
very lightly just until it holds together. Overkneading toughens
shortbread. Divide the dough into two parts. Pat each half into 8-inch
diameter round cake pans. Use a fork to poke tiny holes all over the
surface of the dough. Score each shortbread into 12 wedges, but don't
cut down all the way.

Bake at 300 F for about 40 minutes. The shortbread should be baked
through and light brown. Cool the shortbread in the pans for 5 minutes
on a rack. Cut through the scored lines and allow it to finish cooling.
Transfer carefully to a platter for serving or to an airtight box for
storage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Shortbread again

In article >,
Stu > wrote:

> Try these Bob, they're amazingly rich.
>

> TERRY'S Shortbread Cookies
>
> 1-cup butter, softened
> 1/2-cup sugar
> 2 cups flour
> 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
> 1 TERRY'S Chocolate Orange, separated into 20 segments, cut in half
>
> PREHEAT oven to 350°. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer
> on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour, beating until
> well
> blended after each addition.
>
> ROLL dough into 20 balls, each about 1-1/2 inches in diameter; flatten with
> palm of hand. Top each with 1 chocolate piece; wrap dough around chocolate to
> completely enclose chocolate. Place, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking
> sheets. Flatten slightly.
>
> BAKE 20 min. Remove from oven. Immediately place 1 of the remaining chocolate
> pieces on each cookie. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool 10 min. before
> serving.
>
> Prep: 20 min
> Ready In: 40 min
> Serves: 20

Mm, I'll bet this would work with Dove Dark chocolate miniatures...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Shortbread Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 6 12-12-2013 10:28 AM
Shortbread 3 notbob General Cooking 7 05-12-2009 12:30 AM
shortbread elaine General Cooking 1 11-12-2006 07:30 PM
Shortbread MaryMc Recipes (moderated) 0 06-02-2006 08:49 AM
Shortbread Kathy General Cooking 2 16-12-2005 08:39 AM