Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Britain got the Hots for Curry

Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
(One day I must get to India!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life! (One
> day I must get to India!)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

You can have my share. If I ever get to India, I'd be looking for the
American hotels for my meals. I'd love to visit there for many reasons,
but the food is not one of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
>> (One day I must get to India!)
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

> You can have my share. If I ever get to India, I'd be looking for the
> American hotels for my meals. I'd love to visit there for many
> reasons, but the food is not one of them.

Try as I might, Indian food is a cuisine I could simply never dig. A *big*
turn - off are the filthy conditions I've noticed in the Indian restaurants
and stores I've visited...Indians simply have filthy habits. I won't even
the visit the heavily Indian section of Chicago (North Side, along Devon
Ave.) anymore because of the appalling amount of street litter that those
people produce, it is *disgusting*...

A whiles back one of the Wednesday paper food sections had a big cover
article about the street and snack foods of India. The writer, from Bombay,
was visiting her family there are taking one of her daughters for a first -
time visit. She was describing some street vendors and I read no further
when she was rapturously describing a fruit stand complete "with flies
buzzing around the juicer"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message > A whiles
back one of the Wednesday paper food sections had a big cover
> article about the street and snack foods of India. The writer, from
> Bombay,
> was visiting her family there are taking one of her daughters for a
> first -
> time visit. She was describing some street vendors and I read no further
> when she was rapturously describing a fruit stand complete "with flies
> buzzing around the juicer"...

I lived in India for a while

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

>> time visit. She was describing some street vendors and I read no
>> further when she was rapturously describing a fruit stand complete
>> "with flies buzzing around the juicer"...

> I lived in India for a while

I have been between India and Nepal for almost two months and i can recall
theyr "very lax higienic protocols". Butcheries with a couple of animals'
heads in front of them attired so many flies one could hardly see behing
those bloody skulls. And many other filthy things, but I loved theyr
cuisine: samosas, savoury puffpastries, cheeses, dahl bat tarkari, lentils
in general...
If only they would start growing some olives for oil: the alimenatry oils I
found there were all invasive, to say the least. We had to fork out 12 $ for
half a liter of spanish EVO oil while we were spending 1.80 US$ a day for a
room for three...
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>>> time visit. She was describing some street vendors and I read no
>>> further when she was rapturously describing a fruit stand complete
>>> "with flies buzzing around the juicer"...

>> I lived in India for a while

> I have been between India and Nepal for almost two months and i can recall
> theyr "very lax higienic protocols". Butcheries with a couple of animals'
> heads in front of them attired so many flies one could hardly see behing
> those bloody skulls.

Yep

And many other filthy things, but I loved theyr
> cuisine: samosas, savoury puffpastries, cheeses, dahl bat tarkari, lentils
> in general..

Whereas I didn't I don't like spicy foods at all!

> If only they would start growing some olives for oil: the alimenatry oils
> I found there were all invasive, to say the least. We had to fork out 12 $
> for half a liter of spanish EVO oil while we were spending 1.80 US$ a day
> for a room for three...
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 05:25:05 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
>>> (One day I must get to India!)
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

>> You can have my share. If I ever get to India, I'd be looking for the
>> American hotels for my meals. I'd love to visit there for many
>> reasons, but the food is not one of them.

>Try as I might, Indian food is a cuisine I could simply never dig. A *big*
>turn - off are the filthy conditions I've noticed in the Indian restaurants
>and stores I've visited...Indians simply have filthy habits. I won't even
>the visit the heavily Indian section of Chicago (North Side, along Devon
>Ave.) anymore because of the appalling amount of street litter that those
>people produce, it is *disgusting*...
>
>A whiles back one of the Wednesday paper food sections had a big cover
>article about the street and snack foods of India. The writer, from Bombay,
>was visiting her family there are taking one of her daughters for a first -
>time visit. She was describing some street vendors and I read no further
>when she was rapturously describing a fruit stand complete "with flies
>buzzing around the juicer"...

What's an Indian fruit juicer? Are you saying the gal was crushing
fruit between her legs and letting the juice run down into the bed pan
on which she was seated... do those saris really strain out all the
pips? LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-30, Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> and stores I've visited...Indians simply have filthy habits.

Strange. I've yet to see an Indian the subject of an episode of
Hoarders.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> What's an Indian fruit juicer? Are you saying the gal was crushing
> fruit between her legs and letting the juice run down into the bed pan
> on which she was seated... do those saris really strain out all the
> pips? LOL

LOL, I'm sorry to disenchant you but they just use a crank operated item
like this:
http://www.thevintageshop.ca/extimag...rusher__8_.jpg
[add the proper quantity of flies to the picture]
They were running many fruits through those items, collecting the juice in a
small bucket or directly in the galss, but I don't like fruit juice that
much. A friend of mine had many times mango juiced that way.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in news:7nhdrcF3lhbfgU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
> (One day I must get to India!)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

Yeah, and now the country is being completely overrun with curry munchers and
ragheads, all the bloody Poms are ****ing off and emigrating to bloody
Australia!!!

I love curries, but Indians suck.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" <uk> wrote:

>>> I lived in India for a while

>> I have been between India and Nepal for almost two months and i can recall
>> theyr "very lax higienic protocols". Butcheries with a couple of animals'
>> heads in front of them attired so many flies one could hardly see behing
>> those bloody skulls.

>Yep
>
>And many other filthy things,

Made yoose feel right to home! heheh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!

(One
>> day I must get to India!)
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

> You can have my share. If I ever get to India, I'd be looking for the
> American hotels for my meals. I'd love to visit there for many

reasons,
> but the food is not one of them.

Ed........ if you're not going to partake of the food of 'origin'... you
might as well stay at home and enjoy your Pizza Hut and your Burger King.

It's because of people like you that we see these 'culinary' abominations
popping up all over the world.

I was in Moscow when the first Pizza Hut and MacDonalds opened there.
Why?? Because bloody minded Americans visited and always *demanded*
something they knew, and wanted.

If you're going to travel.......... go local.

If your delicate sensibilities can't handle it..... stay the **** at home.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in
:

> If only they would start growing some olives for oil: the alimenatry
> oils I found there were all invasive, to say the least. We had to fork
> out 12 $ for half a liter of spanish EVO oil while we were spending 1.80
> US$ a day for a room for three...

Lesson learned.

On the next trip, take your own, along with several liters more, and enjoy,
and sell :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" <uk> wrote:

>>> I have been between India and Nepal for almost two months and i can
>>> recall
>>> theyr "very lax higienic protocols". Butcheries with a couple of
>>> animals'
>>> heads in front of them attired so many flies one could hardly see behing
>>> those bloody skulls.

>>Yep
>>
>>And many other filthy things,
>>

> Made yoose feel right to home! heheh

Indeed, but only because of contact with you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
> (One day I must get to India!)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

I've never been to either, so my advice isn't worth much, but I've read
several times that the best food in India is in private homes, not
restaurants. Thus, some people claim that the curries in London
restaurants are often as good as those in restaurants in India.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life! (One
> day I must get to India!)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

Contrary to all the posts above, Indian food is among the great foods of the
world, and Indian people are wonderful people. Two of my personal physicians
are Indian. Curry is a dish conjured up by the Indians for the British, when
the British Empire ruled India in the 19th Century. The name existed before,
but it became pretty much a British dish during that time and to the
present. It is composed of all things Indian, but was composed to appeal to
the British Palate.

Thanks so much for the great article above.

Here's another interesting link.
http://www.hub-uk.com/interesting/curry-history.htm

Kent, longing for our flat in Pimlico, rented, of course, and the food on
Drummon St. However we get great Indian food in the SF Bay Area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
>> (One day I must get to India!)
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

> I've never been to either, so my advice isn't worth much, but I've read
> several times that the best food in India is in private homes, not
> restaurants. Thus, some people claim that the curries in London
> restaurants are often as good as those in restaurants in India.

There is no reason that it could not be. There are enough people from
the sub continent living in the London area that the skilled cooks
should be there, and access to all the ingredients. I have only eaten in
local Indian restaurants a few times, but always enjoyed the meals. If
someone else doesn't like curries that is their loss. All the more for us.

On a similar line.... I have heard that Chinese food available here is
not much like food in China. I don't know if that is good or bad. A
friend of mine lived in Taiwan for a number of years and developed a
dislike for it, saying that it tended to be very greasy. Friends who
have been to mainland China were not impressed with the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:52:23 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>Goomba > wrote in news:7nhdrcF3lhbfgU1
:

>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
>> (One day I must get to India!)
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm
>>

>Yeah, and now the country is being completely overrun with curry munchers and
>ragheads, all the bloody Poms are ****ing off and emigrating to bloody
>Australia!!!
>
>I love curries, but Indians suck.

I don't like curries, I don't like Indian cooking at all, but I've met
some pretty nice Indians.... and as to sucking some of those Indian
gals got some mighty fine lips, and other very attractive physical
attributes, and usually much better dental work than the typical UKer.
I don't care much for the thin/stiff upper lip UK look... I don't see
anything physically attractive about Madonna, she's kinda the female
version of Michael Jackson.

And I don't think most Indians are muslim:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_India

I don't find Indian people necessarily off putting but I don't care
for their hygiene habits.

I know someone from London, says there they refer to Indians as
"chogee", not sure of the spelling or what "chogee" means, but somehow
from context I didn't think "chogee" is a term of endearment... anyone
know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:01:10 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
>> (One day I must get to India!)
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

>I've never been to either, so my advice isn't worth much, but I've read
>several times that the best food in India is in private homes, not
>restaurants. Thus, some people claim that the curries in London
>restaurants are often as good as those in restaurants in India.

The food cooked is homes is generally better than restaurant food. At
home there is less of a tendancy to adapt recipes to allow for 'mother
sauces' and other economies of scale. On the other hand, for certain
dishes - particularly ones that are labor intensive, time consuming,
regional, and/or non-veg - there are restaurants that are the place to
go. In Mumbai it is Khyber for Raan, Delhi Darbar for Biryani, trishna
for sea food, Gaylord or Khyber for Moghul, Swati Snacks and Cream
Center for street fare, ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 3:25*am, Goomba > wrote:
> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
> (One day I must get to India!)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

However Dr Lizzie Collingham, author of Curry: A Tale of Cooks and
Conquerors. mentions in her book (highly recommended by the way) that
UK "Indian Cooking" is quite differerent from Indian food. Apparently
much of the modern UK cuisine comes from some unemployed Bengali
sailors.I did find it to be some of the best food in the UK however.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> On Nov 30, 3:25 am, Goomba > wrote:
> > Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
> > (One day I must get to India!)
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

> However Dr Lizzie Collingham, author of Curry: A Tale of Cooks and
> Conquerors. mentions in her book (highly recommended by the way) that
> UK "Indian Cooking" is quite differerent from Indian food. Apparently
> much of the modern UK cuisine comes from some unemployed Bengali
> sailors.I did find it to be some of the best food in the UK however.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

It is true that most of the Indian food in London and elsewhere in the
UK is basically Bengali food. However there are a range of restaurants
with different styles in various parts of London. So there is access to
food from other parts of the Subcontinent as well. It's different again
in places such as Manchester and Birmingham.

Then we have the (in)famous Chicken Tikka frozen pizza...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 05:25:05 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> You can have my share. If I ever get to India, I'd be looking for
>>> the American hotels for my meals. I'd love to visit there for many
>>> reasons, but the food is not one of them.

>> Try as I might, Indian food is a cuisine I could simply never dig. A
>> *big* turn - off are the filthy conditions I've noticed in the
>> Indian restaurants and stores I've visited...Indians simply have
>> filthy habits. I won't even the visit the heavily Indian section of
>> Chicago (North Side, along Devon Ave.) anymore because of the
>> appalling amount of street litter that those people produce, it is
>> *disgusting*...
>>
>> A whiles back one of the Wednesday paper food sections had a big
>> cover article about the street and snack foods of India. The
>> writer, from Bombay, was visiting her family there are taking one
>> of her daughters for a first - time visit. She was describing some
>> street vendors and I read no further when she was rapturously
>> describing a fruit stand complete "with flies buzzing around the
>> juicer"...

> What's an Indian fruit juicer? Are you saying the gal was crushing
> fruit between her legs and letting the juice run down into the bed pan
> on which she was seated... do those saris really strain out all the
> pips? LOL

Heehee, Sheldon...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2009-11-30, Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>
>> and stores I've visited...Indians simply have filthy habits.

> Strange. I've yet to see an Indian the subject of an episode of
> Hoarders.

Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
(besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they cleared
out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to carry away the
detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the basement full of stuff
like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date, Gorton's fish sticks from 1978,
etc....

When her father died she inherited around 225K from his estate and she blew
that ENTIRE amount in about two years, all in grocery shopping trips...

WIERD...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> Ed........ if you're not going to partake of the food of 'origin'... you
> might as well stay at home and enjoy your Pizza Hut and your Burger King.
>
> It's because of people like you that we see these 'culinary' abominations
> popping up all over the world.
>
> I was in Moscow when the first Pizza Hut and MacDonalds opened there.
> Why?? Because bloody minded Americans visited and always *demanded*
> something they knew, and wanted.
>

> If you're going to travel.......... go local.
>
> If your delicate sensibilities can't handle it..... stay the **** at home.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

I've been to many other countries and look forward to going local. I just
can't stand curry and no, I'm not staying home because of that. I'm sure
the people of India will welcome me and take my money. If they give me a
hard time, I'll just tell them I'm from Australia and we demand good food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2009-11-30, Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>>
>>> and stores I've visited...Indians simply have filthy habits.

>> Strange. I've yet to see an Indian the subject of an episode of
>> Hoarders.

I don't think that affliction knows boundaries like race.

> Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
> (besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they
> cleared out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to
> carry away the detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the
> basement full of stuff like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date,
> Gorton's fish sticks from 1978, etc....
>
> When her father died she inherited around 225K from his estate and
> she blew that ENTIRE amount in about two years, all in grocery
> shopping trips...
>
> WIERD...

I feel badly for those people even though you want to shake some
sense into them. You don't need this old moldy box! You can't eat
this food!! I've only seen a couple episodes of that show, it's tough
to watch.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> Strange. I've yet to see an Indian the subject of an episode of
>>> Hoarders.

> I don't think that affliction knows boundaries like race.
>
>> Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
>> (besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they
>> cleared out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to
>> carry away the detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the
>> basement full of stuff like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date,
>> Gorton's fish sticks from 1978, etc....
>>
>> When her father died she inherited around 225K from his estate and
>> she blew that ENTIRE amount in about two years, all in grocery
>> shopping trips...
>>
>> WIERD...

> I feel badly for those people even though you want to shake some
> sense into them. You don't need this old moldy box! You can't eat
> this food!! I've only seen a couple episodes of that show, it's tough
> to watch.

Yeah, I get nervous about having potential "hoarder" tendencies when I have
like six bags of flour in the pantry, lol...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> Strange. I've yet to see an Indian the subject of an episode of
>>> Hoarders.

> I don't think that affliction knows boundaries like race.
>
>> Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
>> (besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they
>> cleared out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to
>> carry away the detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the
>> basement full of stuff like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date,
>> Gorton's fish sticks from 1978, etc....
>>
>> When her father died she inherited around 225K from his estate and
>> she blew that ENTIRE amount in about two years, all in grocery
>> shopping trips...
>> WIERD...

> I feel badly for those people even though you want to shake some
> sense into them. You don't need this old moldy box! You can't eat
> this food!! I've only seen a couple episodes of that show, it's tough
> to watch.
>
> nancy

Friends mom had the basement stuffed with food. After she died my friend
had to get multiple dumpsters. Some of it was so old that some cans had
long ago burst.

She was an immigrant from Europe and lived through that non-existent
fairy tale time when Hitler was in power and that may have been the
reason for her hoarding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

>>> Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
>>> (besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they
>>> cleared out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to
>>> carry away the detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the
>>> basement full of stuff like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date,
>>> Gorton's fish sticks from 1978, etc....

>> I feel badly for those people even though you want to shake some
>> sense into them. You don't need this old moldy box! You can't eat
>> this food!! I've only seen a couple episodes of that show, it's
>> tough to watch.

> Friends mom had the basement stuffed with food. After she died my
> friend had to get multiple dumpsters. Some of it was so old that some
> cans had long ago burst.
>
> She was an immigrant from Europe and lived through that non-existent
> fairy tale time when Hitler was in power and that may have been the
> reason for her hoarding.

I think at some point there is a lot more going on than some past
experience. It might have been a trigger but it doesn't explain
basements stuffed with multiple dumpsters of bad food. I like to
stock up on food even though it's not necessary, but I attribute it to
having done without. Do I have old unusable food? A whole basement
crammed with it? No. Not even close.

There's more going on with these people that isn't reasonable or
rational. I know they can't help it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ==>> Peter LucASS The Smarmy LIAR...!!! <<== [WAS: How Britain got the Hots for Curry

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> Ed........ if you're not going to partake of the food of 'origin'...
>> you might as well stay at home and enjoy your Pizza Hut and your
>> Burger King.
>>
>> It's because of people like you that we see these 'culinary'
>> abominations popping up all over the world.
>>
>> I was in Moscow when the first Pizza Hut and MacDonalds opened there.
>> Why?? Because bloody minded Americans visited and always *demanded*
>> something they knew, and wanted.
>>

>> If you're going to travel.......... go local.
>>
>> If your delicate sensibilities can't handle it..... stay the **** at
>> home.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Lucas
>> Brisbane
>> Australia

> I've been to many other countries and look forward to going local. I
> just can't stand curry and no, I'm not staying home because of that.
> I'm sure the people of India will welcome me and take my money. If
> they give me a hard time, I'll just tell them I'm from Australia and
> we demand good food.

Peter LucASS is LYING about the opening of the Moscow McDo's, Pizza Hut, and
other fast food operations - and not just lying about being there, which he
most certainly was *not*...

The number of US visitors to Russia was - and is - *very* negligible, as it
is a very expensive and cumbersome place to visit. Except for well - heeled
business travelers, the Russians, being extremely xenophobic, do not
encourage tourism in the least, it's as big a hassle to visit the place now
as it was during the bad old USSR days when Intourist ran the whole tourism
shebang...visas, "invitiations", and the paperwork run into the several
hundreds of dollars, you have to register with the authorities when you get
there, and decent hotels are all five - star properties with the
corresponding high rates (at least there are now high - class international
chain hotels, not just the roach - infested slum hostelries that were the
norm of the Soviet era - although these still exist)...

Anyways, the first western fast food outlets in Russia were - and remain -
mobbed by ordinary Russians. Anyone familiar with Soviet - era East Bloc
dining (except perhaps in Hungary, where there were actually privately - run
catering establishments) would know that an ordinary McD's or Pizza Hut or
Baskin - Robbins was MILES better than anything an ordinary Russian citizen
had seen at that time. McD's was actually at first seen as a "destination"
restaurant for a number of reasons: the premises were clean and brightly
lit, the employees were cheerful, there were clean restrooms with TOILET
PAPER and SOAP, air - conditioning, iced drinks, tasty food served hot and
QUICKLY, you could eat at your leisure and not have to bribe a headwaiter to
get decent service...ALL of this was new to the Russians. Ordinary western
fast food outlets were eagerly embraced by Russians and other former East
Bloc citizens...

McD's spent a *long* time ensuring that their first Moscow outlets were
consistent quality - wise, e.g. the food served was grown in Russia after
much experimentation, even down to the potatoes used for fries and the types
of tomatoes used for ketchup...there is something to be said for
standardisation, especially in a hellhole place like Russia. The McD's
there did not open until everything was exactly up to snuff quality -
wise...according to the criteria set by the "Hamburger University" at McD's
HQ in Oakbrook, Illinois, USA.

We in the West can laff, but you have to compare even the most ordinary
eateries we enjoy to what existed in the old USSR and Soviet Bloc
states...McD's was a VAST improvement, the Russians especially were in awe
of what we take for granted. A Pizza Hut or a McD's might as well have
landed from Mars, that's how "alien" such a place was at first in the
USSR...

The first wave of Western fast - food joints proved so popular that home -
grown Russian - themed fast - food chains opened and grew...

[PS: Russians had enjoyed Pepsi - Cola, which had been bottled in the USSR
starting in 1974 as a result of a barter deal between the USSR and Pepsi, we
in the states got Stolichnaya Vodka and they got a half - dozen Pepsi
bottling plants. Donald Kendall, the Chairman of PepsiCo was a close friend
of Richard Nixon's, who helped close the deal with Soviet leader Leonid
Brezhnev. Pepsi had handed out several million free samples of it's brew to
Soviet citizens visiting the US National Exhibition, held in the summer of
!959 in Moscow. Pepsi scored a PR coup when then VP Nixon, who was guiding
Nikita Khrushchev aroudn the exhibit, got the garrulous Soviet leader to
taste Pepsi - he approved! Pepsi's ad tagline at the time was "Be Sociable,
Have A Pepsi", and papers around the world showed Mr. K. with a bottle of
Pepsi in hand, the caption saying, "Nikita Khrushchev learns to 'be
sociable'...".

Of course LIAR Peter LucASS does not know this, and he most certainly has
not set foot out of his decrepit council (welfare, paid for by taxpayers
since he's on the dole) flat in the rock he lives under down under in The
Land Of Oz...anyone who has read his crapulent shite here for even the
shortest while knows that he is simply making stories up to "impress"...the
only one here who swallows his excreta whole is Lil' Wayne Boatwright,
another comrade - in - LYING with the dreary LucASS.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I feel badly for those people even though you want to shake some
>> sense into them. You don't need this old moldy box! You can't eat
>> this food!! I've only seen a couple episodes of that show, it's
>> tough to watch.

> Yeah, I get nervous about having potential "hoarder" tendencies when
> I have like six bags of flour in the pantry, lol...

(laugh) Hey, it was on sale! And I might suddenly need to make
20 cakes!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
>(besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they cleared
>out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to carry away the
>detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the basement full of stuff
>like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date, Gorton's fish sticks from 1978,
>etc....
>When her father died she inherited around 225K from his estate and she blew
>that ENTIRE amount in about two years, all in grocery shopping trips...

My ex wife suffered from a similar affliction, though thankfully to a lesser
extent. There was only one extra fridge in our basement, and I can confirm that
she didn't plow through $200,000 on groceries. Still, her damage cleaned out my
nest egg.

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> Ed........ if you're not going to partake of the food of 'origin'...
>> you might as well stay at home and enjoy your Pizza Hut and your Burger
>> King.
>>
>> It's because of people like you that we see these 'culinary'
>> abominations popping up all over the world.
>>
>> I was in Moscow when the first Pizza Hut and MacDonalds opened there.
>> Why?? Because bloody minded Americans visited and always *demanded*
>> something they knew, and wanted.
>>

>> If you're going to travel.......... go local.
>>
>> If your delicate sensibilities can't handle it..... stay the **** at
>> home.
>>

> I've been to many other countries and look forward to going local. I
> just can't stand curry and no, I'm not staying home because of that.
> I'm sure the people of India will welcome me and take my money.

I'm sure they would!!

> If
> they give me a hard time, I'll just tell them I'm from Australia and we
> demand good food.

LOL!!

That'd get you a good curry.

If you tell them you're a Yank, they'll direct you to the closest Burger
King and Pizza Hut.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
m:

(snip it's incoherent lies and bullshit)

And *NOW* everyone can see (by reading moron morrows obsessive rantings) just
how much the full moon affects weirdos/small rodents.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

>> I don't think that affliction knows boundaries like race.
>>
>>> Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
>>> (besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they
>>> cleared out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to
>>> carry away the detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the
>>> basement full of stuff like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date,
>>> Gorton's fish sticks from 1978, etc....
>>>
>>> When her father died she inherited around 225K from his estate and
>>> she blew that ENTIRE amount in about two years, all in grocery
>>> shopping trips...
>>>
>>> WIERD...

>> I feel badly for those people even though you want to shake some
>> sense into them. You don't need this old moldy box! You can't eat
>> this food!! I've only seen a couple episodes of that show, it's tough
>> to watch.

> Yeah, I get nervous about having potential "hoarder" tendencies when I
> have
> like six bags of flour in the pantry, lol...

SIX????? Blimey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:15:41 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Goomba > wrote:
>>
>>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!
>>> (One day I must get to India!)
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

>> I've never been to either, so my advice isn't worth much, but I've read
>> several times that the best food in India is in private homes, not
>> restaurants. Thus, some people claim that the curries in London
>> restaurants are often as good as those in restaurants in India.

> There is no reason that it could not be. There are enough people from
> the sub continent living in the London area that the skilled cooks
> should be there, and access to all the ingredients. I have only eaten in
> local Indian restaurants a few times, but always enjoyed the meals. If
> someone else doesn't like curries that is their loss. All the more for us.
>
> On a similar line.... I have heard that Chinese food available here is
> not much like food in China. I don't know if that is good or bad. A
> friend of mine lived in Taiwan for a number of years and developed a
> dislike for it, saying that it tended to be very greasy. Friends who
> have been to mainland China were not impressed with the food.

i think the difference there might be akin to the difference between
'peasant food' as cooked by actual peasants as opposed to 'peasant food'
cooked by chefs.

it does seem to be true that the chinese people like fatty pork, but i've
heard lots of americans complain that the modern american pig is too lean.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:17:16 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 05:25:05 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:

>>> Try as I might, Indian food is a cuisine I could simply never dig. A
>>> *big* turn - off are the filthy conditions I've noticed in the
>>> Indian restaurants and stores I've visited...Indians simply have
>>> filthy habits. I won't even the visit the heavily Indian section of
>>> Chicago (North Side, along Devon Ave.) anymore because of the
>>> appalling amount of street litter that those people produce, it is
>>> *disgusting*...
>>>
>>> A whiles back one of the Wednesday paper food sections had a big
>>> cover article about the street and snack foods of India. The
>>> writer, from Bombay, was visiting her family there are taking one
>>> of her daughters for a first - time visit. She was describing some
>>> street vendors and I read no further when she was rapturously
>>> describing a fruit stand complete "with flies buzzing around the
>>> juicer"...

>> What's an Indian fruit juicer? Are you saying the gal was crushing
>> fruit between her legs and letting the juice run down into the bed pan
>> on which she was seated... do those saris really strain out all the
>> pips? LOL

> Heehee, Sheldon...
>
> ;-)

have you two had your third grade reunion yet?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:00:02 GMT, PeterL wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>>> Oh to be back in London having the absolute best curries of my life!

> (One
>>> day I must get to India!)
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8370054.stm

>> You can have my share. If I ever get to India, I'd be looking for the
>> American hotels for my meals. I'd love to visit there for many

> reasons,
>> but the food is not one of them.
>>

> Ed........ if you're not going to partake of the food of 'origin'... you
> might as well stay at home and enjoy your Pizza Hut and your Burger King.
>
> It's because of people like you that we see these 'culinary' abominations
> popping up all over the world.
>
> I was in Moscow when the first Pizza Hut and MacDonalds opened there.
> Why?? Because bloody minded Americans visited and always *demanded*
> something they knew, and wanted.
>
> If you're going to travel.......... go local.
>
> If your delicate sensibilities can't handle it..... stay the **** at home.

you can tell peter l. is a seasoned world traveler because he says things
like this:

Yeah, and now the country is being completely overrun with curry munchers
and ragheads, all the bloody Poms are ****ing off and emigrating to bloody
Australia!!!

I love curries, but Indians suck.

....so cosmopolitan and debonair.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

>> I don't think that affliction knows boundaries like race.
>>
>>> Now that is a wierd show. I have a friend who's mother is a hoarder
>>> (besides her many other mental afflictions). A few years ago they
>>> cleared out just her basement and it took FIVE city trash haulers to
>>> carry away the detritus. She hoards food, had freezers in the
>>> basement full of stuff like sour cream with a 1980 expiration date,
>>> Gorton's fish sticks from 1978, etc....
>>>
>>> When her father died she inherited around 225K from his estate and
>>> she blew that ENTIRE amount in about two years, all in grocery
>>> shopping trips...
>>> WIERD...

>> I feel badly for those people even though you want to shake some
>> sense into them. You don't need this old moldy box! You can't eat
>> this food!! I've only seen a couple episodes of that show, it's tough
>> to watch.
>>
>> nancy

> Friends mom had the basement stuffed with food. After she died my friend
> had to get multiple dumpsters. Some of it was so old that some cans had
> long ago burst.
>
> She was an immigrant from Europe and lived through that non-existent
> fairy tale time when Hitler was in power and that may have been the
> reason for her hoarding.

My mom was like that, having lived through The Great Depression
and, later, rationing. Now I kind-of wish I had some of those old
labels, so I could see how formulae have changed.

I hoard things myself. Of course, I think it's at least somewhat
rational. For example, I have a lot of ingredients for foreign
cuisines, and they cost a lot to amass. I am going to really have
to think about this when I am in the process of moving. My
kitchen, which will be renovated, is smaller. I am having the
evil thought of turning what is theoretically a very small bedroom
into an adjunct of sorts, in addition to having another small room
downstairs as a pantry. That room will also house my current
fridge and freezer.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hoarding ...was How Britain got the Hots for Curry

Jean B. wrote:

> I hoard things myself. Of course, I think it's at least somewhat
> rational. For example, I have a lot of ingredients for foreign
> cuisines, and they cost a lot to amass. I am going to really have to
> think about this when I am in the process of moving. My kitchen, which
> will be renovated, is smaller. I am having the evil thought of turning
> what is theoretically a very small bedroom into an adjunct of sorts, in
> addition to having another small room downstairs as a pantry. That room
> will also house my current fridge and freezer.

My mother used to can fruit and vegetables so we always has a part of
the cellar stocked with jars of the peaches, pears, cherries etc. Later
on she started shopping sales and when canned goods were on sale she
would stock up. It was usually way more than she needed so she would
give me or my brothers. A few years before she died she moved into a
condo and didn't have room to hoard up like she used to, but her kitchen
pantry was always well stocked.

I tend not to hoard too much. I realized a long time ago that I tend not
to use the stuff that has been salted away. AAMOF, I have a few jars of
jam I made that are at least ten years old and i really should empty
them out, get rid of the old jam and use the jars for some new stuff
this year. I sure don't make as much jam as I used to.

I tend to keep my pantry well stocked. I never allow my staples to get
so low that I couldn't make something for lack of sugar, flour,
shortening etc. With butter prices on the rise I tend to buy a few
pounds at a time and stick them into the freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> My mother used to can fruit and vegetables so we always has a part of
> the cellar stocked with jars of the peaches, pears, cherries etc.
> Later on she started shopping sales and when canned goods were on sale
> she would stock up. It was usually way more than she needed so she
> would give me or my brothers. A few years before she died she moved
> into a condo and didn't have room to hoard up like she used to, but
> her kitchen pantry was always well stocked.
>
> I tend not to hoard too much. I realized a long time ago that I tend
> not to use the stuff that has been salted away. AAMOF, I have a few
> jars of jam I made that are at least ten years old and i really should
> empty them out, get rid of the old jam and use the jars for some new
> stuff this year. I sure don't make as much jam as I used to.
>
> I tend to keep my pantry well stocked. I never allow my staples to get
> so low that I couldn't make something for lack of sugar, flour,
> shortening etc. With butter prices on the rise I tend to buy a few
> pounds at a time and stick them into the freezer.

My mother tends to hoard a lot of food. When I visited over the
weekend, my sister mentioned that Mom has been donating some of her
canned goods to the nearby drug rehab. That works well for both of them.

Becca