Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New article on dry brining aka pre-salting

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> Russ Parsons, the Food editor of the LA Times has a new article out
> on
> dry brining, which is aka pre-salting.
>
> For those of you interested:
> http://www.latimes.com/theguide/holi...,4954438.story
>
> Christine

Hey - it was a tie! <G>

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:12:42 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:06:56 -0500, "Dora" > wrote:
>
>>Christine Dabney wrote:
>>> Heya folks,
>>>
>>> Russ Parsons, the Food editor of the LA Times has a new article out
>>> on
>>> dry brining, which is aka pre-salting.
>>>
>>> For those of you interested:
>>> http://www.latimes.com/theguide/holi...,4954438.story
>>>
>>> Christine

>>Hey - it was a tie! <G>
>>
>>Dora

>I just saw.
>
>And Russ Parsons has more info on it:
>http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,5750108.story
>
>http://www.latimes.com/theguide/holi...,3284923.story
>
>http://www.latimes.com/theguide/holi...,2564026.story
>
>Christine

I don't know if you posted it or I found it on my own, but after I
read
http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,5750108.story
yesterday or the day before, I decided I'm going to use the 1T per 5
pounds proportion vs. the 1:4 in the NYT article. I will add some
chopped fresh sage since I have it growing in the back yard. I had a
good experience with sage last year and wanted to do it again this
year.

We got our turkey yesterday thinking it would have plenty of time to
thaw in the refrigerator, but it's mostly thawed already. I hope it
didn't thaw out too far ahead!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.