Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question for Cookbook Addicts - New Keller Book

Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think? So
far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style of
cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if any of
you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so, what are
your thoughts.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:08:05 -0800, TammyM > wrote:

>Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think? So
>far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style of
>cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if any of
>you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so, what are
>your thoughts.
>
>TammyM

I got it. So far, it looks great.
I need to say however that I haven't cooked from it yet. It is coming
with me to the bay area, and I want to use it then.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:08:05 -0800, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think? So
>> far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style of
>> cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if any of
>> you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so, what are
>> your thoughts.
>>
>> TammyM

> I got it. So far, it looks great.
> I need to say however that I haven't cooked from it yet. It is coming
> with me to the bay area, and I want to use it then.

Wish I'd bet someone that you would be the first to respond! Woulda
made a pile....

TammyM :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:27:58 -0800, TammyM > wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> I got it. So far, it looks great.

>Wish I'd bet someone that you would be the first to respond! Woulda
>made a pile....
>
>TammyM :-)

I know..I am so predictable.

I might put the book near the top of one of the boxes, so I can pull
it out, so you can see if, if you want.

Lin and I are talking bout going out to eat one time that weekend that
I get to northern Cal. I am going to be spending 1-2 nights with Bob
and Lin..and it would be nice to get together for some food, wine,
whatever, with you.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:27:58 -0800, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> I got it. So far, it looks great.

>> Wish I'd bet someone that you would be the first to respond! Woulda
>> made a pile....
>>
>> TammyM :-)

> I know..I am so predictable.
>
> I might put the book near the top of one of the boxes, so I can pull
> it out, so you can see if, if you want.
>
> Lin and I are talking bout going out to eat one time that weekend that
> I get to northern Cal. I am going to be spending 1-2 nights with Bob
> and Lin..and it would be nice to get together for some food, wine,
> whatever, with you.
>
> Christine

When are you coming out again?

TammyM with FULL lemon and lime trees

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:41:04 -0800, TammyM > wrote:

>When are you coming out again?
>
>TammyM with FULL lemon and lime trees

Ooohhhh!!! May I take some?????

I will be there the weekend of December 5th/6th. Not sure if I am
arriving on Friday the 4th or on Saturday the 5th. I am moving into
the apartment on December 7, somewhere in the bay area.

Christine, who packed her rectangular springform pan, so she can make
Charlotte's lemon bars.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:10:55 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:08:05 -0800, TammyM > wrote:
>
>>Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think? So
>>far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style of
>>cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if any of
>>you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so, what are
>>your thoughts.
>>
>>TammyM

>I got it. So far, it looks great.
>I need to say however that I haven't cooked from it yet. It is coming
>with me to the bay area, and I want to use it then.

It is??? Oh, boy... I want to see it! Maybe we can go shopping for a
recipe we agree on?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:34:07 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:27:58 -0800, TammyM > wrote:
>
>>Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> I got it. So far, it looks great.

>>Wish I'd bet someone that you would be the first to respond! Woulda
>>made a pile....
>>
>>TammyM :-)

>I know..I am so predictable.
>
>I might put the book near the top of one of the boxes, so I can pull
>it out, so you can see if, if you want.
>
>Lin and I are talking bout going out to eat one time that weekend that
>I get to northern Cal. I am going to be spending 1-2 nights with Bob
>and Lin..and it would be nice to get together for some food, wine,
>whatever, with you.

Apparently there are some Italian restaurants of note in Davis.
Hopefully you guys go to one of them.... report back if you do!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:41:04 -0800, TammyM > wrote:

>TammyM with FULL lemon and lime trees

Oh, rub it in you wanton woman. :P

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:44:25 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>I am moving into
>the apartment on December 7, somewhere in the bay area.

Please let me know when you know *where*!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:30:22 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Sf, if you go shopping with me, you have to go to the farmers markets
>and great produce stores there.

I am *not* an early to rise person, chris. I just can't revved up to
get out of bed to go to a farmer's market at the crack of dawn.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think? So
> far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style of
> cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if any of
> you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so, what are
> your thoughts.
>
> TammyM

Not I, but then I gravitate toward mostly unusual ethnic and
older/antique cookbooks, and food history.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think? So
> far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style of
> cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if any of
> you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so, what are
> your thoughts.
>
> TammyM

I read the NYT review of this one. This is Keller's third book and the
first were restaurant recipes too foofoo for the average 'at home' cook to
make and second were recipes for sous chefs and other chefs starting out.
This one, however, was written on a more personal level, as his father, who
he grew up never knowing came to stay with him for his final years. The
recipes include those he cooked for his father. The article says the book
is written by a softer, gentler, Keller, one the former employees who only
knew the SOB one would never recognize. They highly recommened that you
skip the first two Keller tomes and go with this one.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "TammyM" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think? So
>> far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style of
>> cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if any of
>> you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so, what are
>> your thoughts.
>>
>> TammyM

> I read the NYT review of this one. This is Keller's third book and the
> first were restaurant recipes too foofoo for the average 'at home' cook to
> make and second were recipes for sous chefs and other chefs starting out.
> This one, however, was written on a more personal level, as his father, who
> he grew up never knowing came to stay with him for his final years. The
> recipes include those he cooked for his father. The article says the book
> is written by a softer, gentler, Keller, one the former employees who only
> knew the SOB one would never recognize. They highly recommened that you
> skip the first two Keller tomes and go with this one.
> -ginny

I hear ya. The French Laundry cookbook is absolutely beautiful. A
friend of mine once cooked a full dinner from it - you can imagine how
much time that took her, but she enjoys doing that sort of thing. Not
I. And I don't have an audience for it either! I found only one recipe
of interest to me in Bouchon (got it from the library). This one sounds
appealing to me, so maybe I'll have a peek at it.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> TammyM wrote:
>> Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think?
>> So far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style
>> of cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if
>> any of you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so,
>> what are your thoughts.
>>
>> TammyM

> Not I, but then I gravitate toward mostly unusual ethnic and
> older/antique cookbooks, and food history.

I'm with ya on the ethnic cookbooks. If I have a specialty, or a
particular focus, it's more in line with middle eastern cookery with a
foray into central/south asia. Having said that, I'm suddenly
fascinated with cooking from eastern europe. What do you recommend in
the food history area?

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:35:12 -0800, TammyM > wrote:
>

>> I'm with ya on the ethnic cookbooks. If I have a specialty, or a
>> particular focus, it's more in line with middle eastern cookery with a
>> foray into central/south asia. Having said that, I'm suddenly
>> fascinated with cooking from eastern europe. What do you recommend in
>> the food history area?
>>
>> TammyM

> I should bring up my Paula Wolfert book on the cooking of Eastern
> Europe..to let you see it...

Bitch! <lol> I already have it....

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:05:29 -0800, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>> Bitch! <lol> I already have it....
>>
>> TammyM

> Oh!!! Did you all see that?????
> Tammy is being mean to me!!!!

::eye roll:: Oh right, and you conveniently snipped your taunt of me.
***Disingenuous BITCH!***

Actually, I just had a look, and my book is of the Eastern
**Mediterranean**, not Eastern Europe. Crap. Am I gonna have to buy
ANOTHER cookbook? <martyred sigh>

> I do have another Paula book that was just published. It is on clay
> pot cookery..and it looks just fabulous. It is coming up with me.
>
> Now, I need a clay pot..
>
> Anywhere that I could find one in that area?

William Glen? But you'll be in the BA and there are loads of places
there.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> TammyM wrote:
>>> Anyone have the new Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc" cookbook? Whatcha think?
>>> So far, I've not been inspired to buy any of his books - not my style
>>> of cooking. This one might be more up my alley. Curious to know if
>>> any of you regulars have taken this particular plunge yet and, if so,
>>> what are your thoughts.
>>>
>>> TammyM

>> Not I, but then I gravitate toward mostly unusual ethnic and
>> older/antique cookbooks, and food history.
>>

> I'm with ya on the ethnic cookbooks. If I have a specialty, or a
> particular focus, it's more in line with middle eastern cookery with a
> foray into central/south asia. Having said that, I'm suddenly
> fascinated with cooking from eastern europe. What do you recommend in
> the food history area?
>
> TammyM

That's really funny, Tammy. I wonder why we develop new areas of
exploration. I am primarily interested in US food history (as far
as cooking history goes), although it is hard to separate that
from all of its European (esp.) ancestors. In fact, I sometimes
find myself going back to paleolithic times. I don't know what
I'd recommend....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:35:12 -0800, TammyM > wrote:
>>

>>> I'm with ya on the ethnic cookbooks. If I have a specialty, or a
>>> particular focus, it's more in line with middle eastern cookery with a
>>> foray into central/south asia. Having said that, I'm suddenly
>>> fascinated with cooking from eastern europe. What do you recommend in
>>> the food history area?
>>>
>>> TammyM

>> I should bring up my Paula Wolfert book on the cooking of Eastern
>> Europe..to let you see it...

> Bitch! <lol> I already have it....
>
> TammyM

Talking about Eastern Europe....I have a Transylvanian cookbook.......and
no, it's not one of those Dracula/AnnRice/Twilight themed thingys
either....it's a legitimate Transylvanian cookbook.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "TammyM" > wrote in message
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> I should bring up my Paula Wolfert book on the cooking of Eastern
>>> Europe..to let you see it...

>> Bitch! <lol> I already have it....
>>
>> TammyM

> Talking about Eastern Europe....I have a Transylvanian cookbook.......and
> no, it's not one of those Dracula/AnnRice/Twilight themed thingys
> either....it's a legitimate Transylvanian cookbook.
> -ginny

REALLY? !!! Cool. What's the publication date? Wish our abodes were
closer, I would LOVE to see that!!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> TammyM wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> Not I, but then I gravitate toward mostly unusual ethnic and
>>> older/antique cookbooks, and food history.
>>>

>> I'm with ya on the ethnic cookbooks. If I have a specialty, or a
>> particular focus, it's more in line with middle eastern cookery with a
>> foray into central/south asia. Having said that, I'm suddenly
>> fascinated with cooking from eastern europe. What do you recommend in
>> the food history area?
>>
>> TammyM

> That's really funny, Tammy. I wonder why we develop new areas of
> exploration. I am primarily interested in US food history (as far as
> cooking history goes), although it is hard to separate that from all of
> its European (esp.) ancestors. In fact, I sometimes find myself going
> back to paleolithic times. I don't know what I'd recommend....

Well for me, a new area of exploration is usually sparked by a food
experience. My fascination with Afghani food began after I became
acquainted with the brother and sister who owned "Kabul", a restaurant
in Davis (sadly, out of business now). I absolutely flipped for the
food and have since become so proficient at it that they consider me
their American sister. The Eastern Euro thing really flared up after a
friend of Czech descent and I made apple strudel, although I'd long had
an interest in that area. I could bore on, but I shan't :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 11:12*am, TammyM > wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
> > TammyM wrote:

> >> I'm with ya on the ethnic cookbooks. *If I have a specialty, or a
> >> particular focus, it's more in line with middle eastern cookery with a
> >> foray into central/south asia. *Having said that, I'm suddenly
> >> fascinated with cooking from eastern europe. *What do you recommend in
> >> the food history area?

> >> TammyM

> > That's really funny, Tammy. *I wonder why we develop new areas of
> > exploration. *I am primarily interested in US food history (as far as
> > cooking history goes), although it is hard to separate that from all of
> > its European (esp.) ancestors. *In fact, I sometimes find myself going
> > back to paleolithic times. *I don't know what I'd recommend....

> Well for me, a new area of exploration is usually sparked by a food
> experience. *My fascination with Afghani food began after I became
> acquainted with the brother and sister who owned "Kabul", a restaurant
> in Davis (sadly, out of business now). *I absolutely flipped for the
> food and have since become so proficient at it that they consider me
> their American sister. *The Eastern Euro thing really flared up after a
> friend of Czech descent and I made apple strudel, although I'd long had
> an interest in that area. *I could bore on, but I shan't :-)
>
> TammyM

Couple o' comments: Tammy, I also fell in love with Afghani food at a
restaurant called "Kabul" but it was in Madison, Wisconsin. I have no
idea if it's still there . . . it was B4thewar (the current one, not
the Russians). Loved the Afghani custard ( a lot like Indian "kheer"
but not as "ricey". Very delicate white custard decorated with
pomegranate seeds and chopped pistacios - is that an Italian flag?
Made it once but lost the recipe.

As to Thomas Keller book. I saw copies at Barnes and Noble the other
night, but opted to look at Heston Blumenthal's (spelling?) The Fat
Duck cookbook - absolutely gorgeous photos but it reads like a
graduale level organic chemistry/biophysics textbook. Check it out at
a bookstore or your library - although it's "only" $50 . . . pretty
cheap for the "coffee table" value!

Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" schrieb :
<snip>
> Well for me, a new area of exploration is usually sparked by a food
> experience. My fascination with Afghani food began after I became
> acquainted with the brother and sister who owned "Kabul", a restaurant in
> Davis (sadly, out of business now). I absolutely flipped for the food and
> have since become so proficient at it that they consider me their American
> sister. The Eastern Euro thing really flared up after a friend of Czech
> descent and I made apple strudel, although I'd long had an interest in
> that area. I could bore on, but I shan't :-)

Nearly everything(*) "Czech" and "Hungarian" is Austrian k.u.k. - cuisine,
especially the Strudel. And that's Central Europe, btw.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

(*) unless you count some regional bland dishes, which are mostely porridge
;-).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> TammyM wrote:

>>> I'm with ya on the ethnic cookbooks. If I have a specialty, or a
>>> particular focus, it's more in line with middle eastern cookery with
>>> a foray into central/south asia. Having said that, I'm suddenly
>>> fascinated with cooking from eastern europe. What do you recommend
>>> in the food history area?
>>>
>>> TammyM

>> That's really funny, Tammy. I wonder why we develop new areas of
>> exploration. I am primarily interested in US food history (as far as
>> cooking history goes), although it is hard to separate that from all
>> of its European (esp.) ancestors. In fact, I sometimes find myself
>> going back to paleolithic times. I don't know what I'd recommend....
>>

> Well for me, a new area of exploration is usually sparked by a food
> experience. My fascination with Afghani food began after I became
> acquainted with the brother and sister who owned "Kabul", a restaurant
> in Davis (sadly, out of business now). I absolutely flipped for the
> food and have since become so proficient at it that they consider me
> their American sister. The Eastern Euro thing really flared up after a
> friend of Czech descent and I made apple strudel, although I'd long had
> an interest in that area. I could bore on, but I shan't :-)
>
> TammyM

That's not the least bit boring, Tammy. I haven't seen many books
on Afghani cooking, but then I haven't mounted a lengthy search
for them either.

I can reciprocate on my ongoing quest for SE Asian cookbooks. I
found one at a library around 1970. There was nothing else here
near Boston--no books, no restaurants, nothing. Eventually we had
a Thai restaurant in the Boston area, but still no books. I ended
up approaching diplomats in search of them. Some actually helped
me. One was from the Thai consulate. I still think my quest was
connected with the opening of the second (I think) Thai restaurant
in the area. Anyway, SE Asian food was my main forte. I also did
a lot of Indian cooking. I think, as you have found, the intense
interest and the acquisition of knowledge about a cuisine/cuisines
is self-perpetuating.

--
Jean B.