Posted to alt.politics,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc

Default Ground Beef recall due to E-coli contamination

New Hampshire has announced a death connected to the recent recall of
545,699 lbs of ground beef for e. coli contamination. The beef was
sold in the following retailers, among others: Trader Joes, Price
Chopper, Lancaster and Wild Harvest, Shaw's, a unit of Supervalu,
BJ's, Ford Brothers and Giant.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Even...ease/index.asp

Recall Release CLASS I RECALL
FSIS-RC-059-2009 HEALTH RISK: HIGH

Congressional and Public Affairs
(202) 720-9113
Atiya Khan

SAFE PREPARATION OF FRESH AND FROZEN GROUND BEEF

USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline
1-888-MPHOTLINE or visit
www.fsis.usda.gov

Wash hands with warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds before and
after handling raw meat and poultry. Wash cutting boards, dishes and
utensils with hot, soapy water. Immediately clean spills.

Keep raw meat, fish and poultry away from other food that will not be
cooked. Use separate cutting boards for raw meat, poultry and egg
products and cooked foods.

Consumers should only eat ground beef or ground beef patties that have
been cooked to a safe internal temperature of 160° F, whether prepared
from fresh or frozen raw meat products.

Color is NOT a reliable indicator that ground beef or ground beef
patties have been cooked to a temperature high enough to kill harmful
bacteria such as E. coli O157:H7.

The only way to be sure ground beef is cooked to a high enough
temperature to kill harmful bacteria is to use a thermometer to
measure the internal temperature.

Refrigerate raw meat and poultry within two hours after purchase or
one hour if temperatures exceed 90° F. Refrigerate cooked meat and
poultry within two hours after cooking

WASHINGTON, October 31, 2009 - Fairbank Farms, an Ashville, NY,
establishment, is recalling approximately 545,699 pounds of fresh
ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7,
the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection
Service (FSIS) announced today.

FSIS became aware of the problem during the course of an investigation
of a cluster of E. coli O157:H7 illnesses. Working with the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state health and
agriculture departments, FSIS determined that there is an association
between the fresh ground beef products subject to recall and illnesses
in Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts. FSIS is continuing to work
with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, the Connecticut
Department of Public Health, other state health and agriculture
departments and the CDC on the investigation. Anyone with signs or
symptoms of foodborne illness should consult a physician.

The products subject to recall include: [View Labels, PDF Only]

Trader Joes

* 1-pound packages of "TRADER JOE'S BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY
MEATS GROUND BEEF 85/15."
* 1-pound packages of "TRADER JOE'S BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY
MEATS GROUND BEEF 80/20."
NOTE: The sell-by dates for the above two products may be
October 6 or 7, 2009.
* 1-pound trays of "TRADER JOE'S BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY MEATS
GROUND BEEF PATTIES 96/4 EXTRA LEAN."
* 1-pound trays of "TRADER JOE'S BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY MEATS
GROUND BEEF PATTIES 85/15."

Price Chopper

* 1- and 2.5-pound trays of "PRICE CHOPPER MEATLOAF & MEATBALL
MIX."
* 1-pound trays of "PRICE CHOPPER EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF 96/4."
* 1-pound trays of "PRICE CHOPPER FRESH GROUND BEEF CHUCK FOR
CHILI 80% LEAN 20% FAT."

Lancaster and Wild Harvest

* 1-pound trays of "LANCASTER BRAND 96/4 EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF."
* 1- and 2-pound trays of "LANCASTER BRAND 90/10 GROUND BEEF."
* 1-pound trays of "WILD HARVEST NATURAL 85/15 ANGUS GROUND BEEF."

Shaw's

* 1- and 2-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND BEEF 93/7."
* 1-, 2- and 3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND BEEF 80/20."
* 1- and 3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND BEEF 75/25."
* 1.3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND SIRLOIN BEEF PATTIES
90/10."
* 1.3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND ROUND BEEF PATTIES
85/15."
* 1.3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND BEEF PATTIES 80/20."
* 3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND BEEF PATTIES FAMILY PACK
80/20."
* 1-pound trays of "SHAW'S ANGUS GROUND BEEF 85/15."
* 1-, 2- and 3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND ROUND BEEF
85/15."
* 1-pound trays of "SHAW'S 90% NATURAL GROUND BEEF."
* 1-pound trays of "SHAW'S 85% NATURAL GROUND BEEF."
* 1-, 2- and 3-pound trays of "SHAW'S FRESH GROUND SIRLOIN 90/10."
* 1-pound trays of "MEATLOAF & MEATBALL MIX."

BJ's

* 5-pound trays of "FRESH GROUND BEEF, CONTAINS 15 % FAT" patties.
* 3- and 5-pound trays of "LEAN GROUND BEEF, CONTAINS 7% FAT."
* 2.5-pound trays of "MEATLOAF & MEATBALL MIX."

Ford Brothers

* 3-pound trays of "FRESH GROUND BEEF, CONTAINS 20% FAT" patties.

Giant

* 1-pound trays of "GIANT EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF 96/4."
* 1-pound trays of "GIANT MEATLOAF & MEATBALL MIX."
* 1-pound trays of "GIANT NATURE'S PROMISE GROUND BEEF."
* 1-pound trays of "GIANT NATURE'S PROMISE GROUND BEEF PATTIES."

Each package bears the establishment number "EST. 492" inside the USDA
mark of inspection or on the nutrition label. These products were
packaged on September 15 and 16, 2009, and may have been labeled at
the retail stores with a sell-by date from September 19 through 28,
2009, unless otherwise noted above. Consumers should ask at their
point of purchase if the products they have are subject to recall. The
products were sent to distribution centers, intended for further
distribution to retail establishments in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic
regions. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be
posted on FSIS' Web site at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FSIS_Recalls/
Open_Federal_Cases/index.asp.

Products for further processing:

* Cases of 10-pound "FAIRBANK FARMS FRESH GROUND BEEF CHUBS."

Each case bears the establishment number "EST. 492" inside the USDA
mark of inspection; has package dates of "09.14.09," "09.15.09," or
"09.16.09;" and sell-by dates of "10.3.09," "10.4.09," or "10.5.09.
These products were distributed to retail establishments in Maryland,
Massachusetts, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and
Virginia for further processing. However, these products at retail
will likely not bear the package dates and sell-by dates listed above.
Customers with concerns should contact their point of purchase.

E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause
bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in the most severe cases, kidney
failure. The very young, seniors and persons with weak immune systems
are the most susceptible to foodborne illness. Individuals concerned
about an illness should contact a physician.

FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify
recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps
are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to
consumers.

FSIS advises all consumers to safely prepare their raw meat products,
including fresh and frozen, and only consume ground beef or ground
beef patties that have been cooked to a temperature of 160° F. The
only way to be sure ground beef is cooked to a high enough temperature
to kill harmful bacteria is to use a food thermometer to measure the
internal temperature.

Media questions regarding the recall should be directed the company's
Media Representative, Agnes Schafer at (866) 460-8017. Consumer
questions should be directed to the company's Consumer Hotline at
(877) 546-0122.

Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual
representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov. The toll-free
USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is
available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4
p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety
messages are available 24 hours a day.

NOTE: Access news releases and other information at FSIS' Web site at
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fsis_Recalls/
Posted to alt.politics,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc

what a waste, they just slaughtered 1000 cows for nothing, because one
human might have gotten a tummy ache, WHAT ABOUT THE COWS!!!
Posted to alt.politics,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc

Fact Attack wrote:

> what a waste, they just slaughtered 1000 cows for nothing, because one
> human might have gotten a tummy ache, WHAT ABOUT THE COWS!!!

Two dead, sixteen hospitalized. I'd slaughter
a million cows to prevent that. Even if I wasn't
sure it was necessary. Wouldn't mind tossing a
couple PETA guys into the chipper, too! :-)
Posted to alt.politics,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc

> Two dead, sixteen hospitalized. *I'd slaughter
> a million cows to prevent that. *Even if I wasn't
> sure it was necessary. *Wouldn't mind tossing a
> couple PETA guys into the chipper, too! *:-)

Your mom is a cow, you pig.

Posted to alt.politics,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc

> Two dead, sixteen hospitalized. *I'd slaughter
> a million cows to prevent that. *Even if I wasn't
> sure it was necessary. *Wouldn't mind tossing a
> couple PETA guys into the chipper, too! *:-)

I would feed you to the cows, you mean crazy asshole.

Posted to alt.politics,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc

Fact Attack wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Fact Attack wrote:
> >
> > > what a waste, they just slaughtered 1000 cows for nothing, because one
> > > human might have gotten a tummy ache, WHAT ABOUT THE COWS!!!

> > Two dead, sixteen hospitalized. I'd slaughter
> > a million cows to prevent that. Even if I wasn't
> > sure it was necessary. Wouldn't mind tossing a
> > couple PETA guys into the chipper, too! :-)

> I would feed you to the cows, you mean crazy asshole.

And I'd feed you all to farm-raised salmon! Good salmon! :-)
Posted to alt.politics,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc

Thanks for this important information....I sent your post to everyone in my address
book....AAC