Posted to rec.food.cooking
jj jj is offline

Default "Fresh & Easy" stores getting real (Buxted?)

This new US offshoot of the UK Tesco mega chain with the racy name has
quite a few locations around Las Vegas. One of them is very
convenient for me so I'm a regular. And in light of this down
economy, they seem to have lowered prices on quite a few items in the
past year.

The prices are still sort of high on many items but pretty aggressive
on certain beers/wines and various specials. Eggs are $1.69 for 18
large. Chicken has come down to $0.88/lb on occasion for quarters and
whole chickens. I eat a lot of their Maria Gamesa cookie/crackers - a
bargain at 33 cents for a 4.93 oz/140 g sleeve.

I would say their weakest offering is produce - I'll buy their 99 cent
weekly special but that's about it. They recently changed the
packaging for dried lentils ($1.03 lb) and sold the old stuff off for
50 cents/lb so I stocked up for my home sprouting.

They have a house brand of tatter tots that seemed pretty close to the
original...but at a much better price...um I want to say <zoning out>
$1.69 for 2 lbs?

Oh yes, they refer to some of the chicken as "Buxted" I gather this
is a UK brand/style of poultry?

Any other Fresh & Easy patrons?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 21, 5:23*pm, (jj) wrote:
> This new US offshoot of the UK Tesco mega chain with the racy name has
> quite a few locations around Las Vegas. *One of them is very
> convenient for me so I'm a regular. *And in light of this down
> economy, they seem to have lowered prices on quite a few items in the
> past year.
>
> The prices are still sort of high on many items but pretty aggressive
> on certain beers/wines and various specials. *Eggs are $1.69 for 18
> large. *Chicken has come down to $0.88/lb on occasion for quarters and
> whole chickens. *I eat a lot of their Maria Gamesa cookie/crackers - a
> bargain at 33 cents for a 4.93 oz/140 g sleeve.
>
> I would say their weakest offering is produce - I'll buy their 99 cent
> weekly special but that's about it. * They recently changed the
> packaging for dried lentils ($1.03 lb) and sold the old stuff off for
> 50 cents/lb so I stocked up for my home sprouting.
>
> They have a house brand of tatter tots that seemed pretty close to the
> original...but at a much better price...um I want to say <zoning out>
> $1.69 for 2 lbs?
>
> Oh yes, they refer to some of the chicken as "Buxted" *I gather this
> is a UK brand/style of poultry?
>
> Any other Fresh & Easy patrons?

here in socal, there are about 40 F&E stores. i shop at the stores in
arcadia, duarte, azusa, pasadena, west covina i like the majority of
their products. the buxted refers to the type of packaging used for
the meat products, i.e. it appears to be packaged in air-tight white
containers that have clear heavy plastic over the top. this includes
the cut up chicken pieces, the ground meat, ground pork & sausage,
etc.

harriet & critters in azusa, ca