Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rec: One-Pot Chili Casserole

We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's recipe
archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using beef and
pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
The Ranger
---
ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE

Serves 4

This layered one-pot dish can be assembled quickly and popped into the oven
to bake while you're helping the kids with their homework (or finishing your
own). This version is meatless, but there's nothing to stop you from
sprinkling ground beef that has been seasoned and browned, between the
layers, if you like. Serve with a spinach salad on the side for a complete
meal. Ingredients with an asterisk (*) are available in the Whole Foods
Market Family of Brands.
Ingredients

Olive oil for coating baking dish*
1 pound cornbread
1 (15-ounce) can vegetarian bean chili*
1 (15-ounce) can kidney or black beans, drained*
1 (12.5-ounce) jar medium salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack & Cheddar cheese*
3 scallions, sliced
Method

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of a 9-inch square baking dish with
olive oil. Crumble half of the cornbread into the baking dish.

In a large bowl, combine the chili, beans and salsa. Spoon the chili mixture
evenly over the cornbread. Crumble the remaining cornbread over the chili
mixture. Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.

Bake in the top third of the oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and
top is golden brown. Allow to sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Sprinkle sliced scallions on top and serve with a spinach salad.
Nutrition

Per serving (about 17oz/471g-wt.): 380 calories (90 from fat), 10g total
fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 63g total
carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 19g sugar), 12g protein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 9:29*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
> excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's recipe
> archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using beef and
> pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
> The Ranger
> ---
> ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE....snip

Oh! This will be made soon here for "Miss Jeanine's Kitchen" frequent
offerings to the Marines. Thank you so for sharing. A question: I
will be adding your meat suggestions, but I would (at least) like to
make a double batch. Should there be a change in baking time while
making this in double or possibly triple the ingredients, and in a
large roasting pan such as one may use for roasting a turkey?
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article dth>,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
> excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's recipe
> archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using beef and
> pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
> The Ranger
> ---
> ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE
>
> Serves 4
>
> This layered one-pot dish can be assembled quickly and popped into the oven
> to bake while you're helping the kids with their homework (or finishing your
> own). This version is meatless, but there's nothing to stop you from
> sprinkling ground beef that has been seasoned and browned, between the
> layers, if you like.

<snipped> Sounds good, but I'd have to make the corn bread first. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 9:46*am, PickyJaz > wrote:
> On Sep 12, 9:29*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:> We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
> > excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's recipe
> > archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using beef and
> > pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
> > The Ranger
> > ---
> > ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE....snip

> Oh! *This will be made soon here for "Miss Jeanine's Kitchen" frequent
> offerings to the Marines. *Thank you so for sharing. *A question: *I
> will be adding your meat suggestions, but I would (at least) like to
> make a double batch. *Should there be a change in baking time while
> making this in double or possibly triple the ingredients, and in a
> large roasting pan such as one may use for roasting a turkey?
> ...Picky

I don't *think* you should double the cooking time for larger batches
but you will know your oven better than me. The times are always soft
when I bake; my GE Profile POS jumps between extremes so frequently,
I'd swear it warps the time continuum. I plan on using my roasting
pan, as well, but the original (at the potluck) was provided in a
9"X13" Pyrex.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 9:52*am, Omelet > wrote:
snipped\
> Sounds good, but I'd have to make the corn bread first. ;-)

/gasp

/GASP!

And y'all're a Texan?!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
The Ranger > wrote:

> On Sep 12, 9:52*am, Omelet > wrote:
> snipped\
> > Sounds good, but I'd have to make the corn bread first. ;-)

> /gasp
>
> /GASP!
>
> And y'all're a Texan?!
>
> The Ranger

I live low carb luv. <g>
Corn bread is a rare treat!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 12:29*pm, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
> excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's recipe
> archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using beef and
> pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
> The Ranger
> ---
> ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE
>
> Serves 4
>
> This layered one-pot dish can be assembled quickly and popped into the oven
> to bake while you're helping the kids with their homework (or finishing your
> own). This version is meatless, but there's nothing to stop you from
> sprinkling ground beef that has been seasoned and browned, between the
> layers, if you like. Serve with a spinach salad on the side for a complete
> meal. Ingredients with an asterisk (*) are available in the Whole Foods
> Market Family of Brands.
> Ingredients
>
> Olive oil for coating baking dish*
> 1 pound cornbread
> 1 (15-ounce) can vegetarian bean chili*
> 1 (15-ounce) can kidney or black beans, drained*
> 1 (12.5-ounce) jar medium salsa
> 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack & Cheddar cheese*
> 3 scallions, sliced
> Method
>
> Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of a 9-inch square baking dish with
> olive oil. Crumble half of the cornbread into the baking dish.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the chili, beans and salsa. Spoon the chili mixture
> evenly over the cornbread. Crumble the remaining cornbread over the chili
> mixture. Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
>
> Bake in the top third of the oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and
> top is golden brown. Allow to sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
>
> Sprinkle sliced scallions on top and serve with a spinach salad.
> Nutrition
>
> Per serving (about 17oz/471g-wt.): 380 calories (90 from fat), 10g total
> fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 63g total
> carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 19g sugar), 12g protein

Sounds like tailgate food!

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 10:06*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *The Ranger > wrote:
> > On Sep 12, 9:52*am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > Sounds good, but I'd have to make the corn bread first. ;-)

> > /gasp

> > /GASP!

> > And y'all're a Texan?!

> I live low carb luv. <g>

"Step away from the crazy lady, hon. No, don't stare. She can't help
herself."

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 10:09*am, Kris > wrote:
> On Sep 12, 12:29*pm, "The Ranger" > wrote:

[major ripping and shredding of text]
>> One-Pot Chili Casserole

> Sounds like tailgate food! *

It traveled very well so I'd agree! No slop and there weren't nothin'
left in the Pyrex.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Sep 12, 9:52 am, Omelet > wrote:
> snipped\
>> Sounds good, but I'd have to make the corn bread first. ;-)

> /gasp
>
> /GASP!
>
> And y'all're a Texan?!
>
> The Ranger

I'm trying to imagine that recipe made with sugary yankee cornbread.
Actually, I'm trying not to imagine it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 10:20*am, zxcvbob > wrote:

> I'm trying to imagine that recipe made with sugary yankee cornbread.
> Actually, I'm trying not to imagine it.

That ain't cornbread! It's cake!

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
The Ranger > wrote:

> On Sep 12, 10:06*am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *The Ranger > wrote:

> > > /gasp

> > > /GASP!

> > > And y'all're a Texan?!

> > I live low carb luv. <g>

> "Step away from the crazy lady, hon. No, don't stare. She can't help
> herself."
>
> The Ranger

Trying to lose the lard... ;-)
And it works for me!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
> > On Sep 12, 9:52 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > snipped\
> >> Sounds good, but I'd have to make the corn bread first. ;-)

> > /gasp
> >
> > /GASP!
> >
> > And y'all're a Texan?!
> >
> > The Ranger

> I'm trying to imagine that recipe made with sugary yankee cornbread.
> Actually, I'm trying not to imagine it.
>
> Bob

<laughs> I have plenty of sugar and flour free REAL corn bread recipes
in my files, thanks to the folks here!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default One-Pot Chili Casserole

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
> excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's
> recipe archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using
> beef and pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
> The Ranger
> ---
> ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE
>
> Serves 4
>
> This layered one-pot dish can be assembled quickly and popped into the
> oven to bake while you're helping the kids with their homework (or
> finishing your own). This version is meatless, but there's nothing to stop
> you from sprinkling ground beef that has been seasoned and browned,
> between the layers, if you like. Serve with a spinach salad on the side
> for a complete meal. Ingredients with an asterisk (*) are available in the
> Whole Foods Market Family of Brands.
> Ingredients
>
> Olive oil for coating baking dish*
> 1 pound cornbread
> 1 (15-ounce) can vegetarian bean chili*
> 1 (15-ounce) can kidney or black beans, drained*
> 1 (12.5-ounce) jar medium salsa
> 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack & Cheddar cheese*
> 3 scallions, sliced
> Method
>
> Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of a 9-inch square baking dish with
> olive oil. Crumble half of the cornbread into the baking dish.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the chili, beans and salsa. Spoon the chili
> mixture evenly over the cornbread. Crumble the remaining cornbread over
> the chili mixture. Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
>
> Bake in the top third of the oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted
> and top is golden brown. Allow to sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
>
> Sprinkle sliced scallions on top and serve with a spinach salad.
> Nutrition
>
> Per serving (about 17oz/471g-wt.): 380 calories (90 from fat), 10g total
> fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 63g total
> carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 19g sugar), 12g protein

Isn't this a version of Tamale Pie? Except the original used cooked corn
meal then morphed to corn muffin mix and now apparently corn bread.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> ndwidth...
> > We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
> > excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's
> > recipe archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using
> > beef and pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
> > The Ranger
> > ---
> > ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE
> >
> > Serves 4
> >
> > This layered one-pot dish can be assembled quickly and popped into the
> > oven to bake while you're helping the kids with their homework (or
> > finishing your own). This version is meatless, but there's nothing to stop
> > you from sprinkling ground beef that has been seasoned and browned,
> > between the layers, if you like. Serve with a spinach salad on the side
> > for a complete meal. Ingredients with an asterisk (*) are available in the
> > Whole Foods Market Family of Brands.
> > Ingredients
> >
> > Olive oil for coating baking dish*
> > 1 pound cornbread
> > 1 (15-ounce) can vegetarian bean chili*
> > 1 (15-ounce) can kidney or black beans, drained*
> > 1 (12.5-ounce) jar medium salsa
> > 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack & Cheddar cheese*
> > 3 scallions, sliced
> > Method
> >
> > Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of a 9-inch square baking dish with
> > olive oil. Crumble half of the cornbread into the baking dish.
> >
> > In a large bowl, combine the chili, beans and salsa. Spoon the chili
> > mixture evenly over the cornbread. Crumble the remaining cornbread over
> > the chili mixture. Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
> >
> > Bake in the top third of the oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted
> > and top is golden brown. Allow to sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
> >
> > Sprinkle sliced scallions on top and serve with a spinach salad.
> > Nutrition
> >
> > Per serving (about 17oz/471g-wt.): 380 calories (90 from fat), 10g total
> > fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 63g total
> > carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 19g sugar), 12g protein

> Isn't this a version of Tamale Pie? Except the original used cooked corn
> meal then morphed to corn muffin mix and now apparently corn bread.
> Janet

In that case, I could probably use pre-prepared Masa. That is available
at the grossery store.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING Ranee (was Rec: One-Pot Chili Casserole)

I remember long ago making a recipe you posted--a casserole with
cornbread crust, ground beef, corn, black beans and spices.
You called it tamale or taco pie or similar.

Would you post it to rfc again, please? I think we're ready.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> ndwidth...
>> > We were served this recently at a potluck and it was scarfed up! It was
>> > excellent and, according to the cook, totally easy. From Whole Food's
>> > recipe archive. She modified it with ground turkey but I plan on using
>> > beef and pork when I make it for Clan Ranger.
>> > The Ranger
>> > ---
>> > ONE-POT CHILI CASSEROLE

snip
>> Isn't this a version of Tamale Pie? Except the original used cooked corn
>> meal then morphed to corn muffin mix and now apparently corn bread.
>> Janet

> In that case, I could probably use pre-prepared Masa. That is available
> at the grossery store.
> --
> Peace! Om

After reading this, I was thinking about making Tamale Pie. I'll make it
with cornmeal. All of the recipes for it that I remember have you cook the
cornmeal immediately before preparing the dish. The mush is then either
poured under or over or both. I wonder how it would be if the mush was
poured into the pan and allowed to sit and set up and then the rest of the
dish prepared over the top.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote in message
[snip recipe]
> Isn't this a version of Tamale Pie?

It's been too many years since I made Tamale Pie; I'd have to dig up my
father-unit's recipe and check to be able to discuss it with you.

Looking at the different recipes on Da 'Net, there seems to be a lot of them
containing "corn" and other assorted crap that wasn't in my father-unit's
recipe. The one-pot chili casserole didn't have corn but did use tomatoes
indirectly (salsa) so that might be a "yes" after all. It would be much
simpler than attempting to find his recipe.

The Ranger

Except the original used cooked corn
> meal then morphed to corn muffin mix and now apparently corn bread.
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 9:52 am, Omelet > wrote:
>> snipped\
>>> Sounds good, but I'd have to make the corn bread first. ;-)

>> /gasp
>>
>> /GASP!
>>
>> And y'all're a Texan?!
>>
>> The Ranger

> I'm trying to imagine that recipe made with sugary yankee cornbread.
> Actually, I'm trying not to imagine it.
>
> Bob

I hate really sweet cornbread, even though I am a Massachusetts
native. In fact, I recently discovered a take-out establishment
that I really like, and I have been going through their offerings.
I must say that my muffins are all better than theirs--and their
sweet cakelike corn muffin didn't appeal to me at all. In fact, I
will be making corn bread or muffins soon as therapy.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
news
> Janet Bostwick > wrote in message
> [snip recipe]
>> Isn't this a version of Tamale Pie?

> It's been too many years since I made Tamale Pie; I'd have to dig up my
> father-unit's recipe and check to be able to discuss it with you.
>
> Looking at the different recipes on Da 'Net, there seems to be a lot of
> them containing "corn" and other assorted crap that wasn't in my
> father-unit's recipe. The one-pot chili casserole didn't have corn but did
> use tomatoes indirectly (salsa) so that might be a "yes" after all. It
> would be much simpler than attempting to find his recipe.
>
> The Ranger
>
> Except the original used cooked corn
>> meal then morphed to corn muffin mix and now apparently corn bread.
>> Janet

I tend to look at a recipe in the broadest sense. Yes, tamale pie usually
has corn in it. In your chili casserole recipe, in my view, the corn has
been replaced by beans. Nothing good or bad about either. It just
entertains me to see the roots of a recipe or to see diverse cultures rely
on what is essentially the same dish. Actually, once you understand the
underpinnings of the base idea, only your pantry limits how you put a dish
together. (End of lecture.;o))
Janet

Chili Pie Casserole Tim Recipes 0 27-07-2005 10:27 AM
Chili Rellano Casserole Crone Mexican Cooking 6 28-08-2004 11:06 PM
Chili Pie Casserole Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 27-05-2004 02:33 PM
Chili Pie Casserole Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-05-2004 01:22 AM
FRITO CHILI PIE CASSEROLE Duckie ® Recipes 0 31-01-2004 03:55 AM