Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Braised beef short ribs

So after the suggestions I got from some of you about what to do with the
short ribs, I googled some recipes. They're right now marinating in some
Merlot and dried (didn't have fresh on hand of any of these) rosemary, sage
and thyme, S&P. The recipe called for Cabernet Sauvignon but I didn't have
any of that either as I'm not much of a red wine drinker. More googling
indicated that Merlot could be used. We'll see.

As per the recipe, tomorrow I'll remove the ribs from the marinade and put
it on the stove and reduce to half. Braise for a few hours with some diced
onion (recipe said carrots and celery, too, but I don't have either of those
on hand) and garlic and beef stock, and then a quick cook on the grill,
though by that time I might forgo grilling because they'll be already fully
cooked.

It's not a big bunch of ribs so if it comes out sucking, no big loss. If
good, the recipe will be saved for a full winter meal. For tomorrow it'll
just be with some corn on the cob.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Gingerale is a good braising liquid for beef.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting. I love the flavor of gingerale. Just this week I tried the
Green Tea gingerale and that was yummy. I wonder if you can cook with that,
too? Not sure what it would do to the antioxidants.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

That brief grilling makes all the difference in the world from braised.
:-) Sure did with my full sized ribs!

Difference between night and day... Seriously.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

I believe you! I might try that next time. Not enough meat to light the
grill this time.
Just about done, and bubbling:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2v1vuj4.jpg

Old 06-09-2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

Cheryl - You are making me hungry, I haven't prepared short ribs like
that in a while. When I think to look for them locally in the recent
past, they are either outrageously priced, or have very little meat on them.

Regards,

Bob
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

It's not a big bunch of ribs so if it comes out sucking, no big loss. If
good, the recipe will be saved for a full winter meal. For tomorrow it'll
just be with some corn on the cob.

That brief grilling makes all the difference in the world from braised.
:-) Sure did with my full sized ribs!

Difference between night and day... Seriously.

I believe you! I might try that next time. Not enough meat to light the
grill this time.
Just about done, and bubbling:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2v1vuj4.jpg

Ooh yummy! :-)
I love a good beef stew like that.

I'll be starting up the smoker first thing when I get home from work
tomorrow, but I have a few items to do. Canadian bacon, a few sausages
(dug thru the freezer and got out a couple of packages of those), brined
beef heart and I'm considering a small brisket, but I'll probably braise
that first to tenderize, then smoke it. Helps to take the guesswork out
of it and I think I can flavor it better this way with more onions and
garlic and stuff.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein