Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default If the lamb or goat curry at the Indian buffet tastes like beef,

It is BEEF.

I onced ahd that. No one can lie to me about the taste of beef but I
told myself that they'd not do that because their religion forbids
eating beef. Now, I have realized that the only reason the Indian
restaurants do not sell beef is due to social pressure among peers.
They mix in beef in their lamb or goat curry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> It is BEEF.
>
> I onced ahd that. No one can lie to me about the taste of beef but I
> told myself that they'd not do that because their religion forbids
> eating beef. Now, I have realized that the only reason the Indian
> restaurants do not sell beef is due to social pressure among peers.
> They mix in beef in their lamb or goat curry.

Which Indians are you talking about? Not all Indians are Hindus, not by
a long shot.

If the place is run by Muslims (as many curry restaurants in New Zealand
are), there may indeed be beef in the menu (but there won't be pork).

However, if they advertise goat or lamb curry, it should be the meat
specified, and not beef.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 6:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> > It is BEEF.

> > I onced ahd that. No one can lie to me about the taste of beef but I
> > told myself that they'd not do that because their religion forbids
> > eating beef. *Now, I have realized that the only reason the Indian
> > restaurants do not sell beef is due to social pressure among peers.
> > They mix in beef in their lamb or goat curry.

> Which Indians are you talking about? *Not all Indians are Hindus, not by
> a long shot. *

Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? No. Why do
you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

> If the place is run by Muslims (as many curry restaurants in New Zealand
> are), there may indeed be beef in the menu (but there won't be pork). *
>
> However, if they advertise goat or lamb curry, it should be the meat
> specified, and not beef.
>
> Miche

I was talking about US. I admit that I failed to mention that.

> --
> Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> On Sep 4, 6:23*pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
> wrote:
> > On Sep 4, 8:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> >

> > > In article

> > > Which Indians are you talking about? *Not all Indians are Hindus, not by
> > > a long shot. *

> > > If the place is run by Muslims (as many curry restaurants in New Zealand
> > > are), there may indeed be beef in the menu (but there won't be pork). *

> > > However, if they advertise goat or lamb curry, it should be the meat
> > > specified, and not beef.

> > Bingo! *Same applies on the other side of the globe - literally! *Our
> > local Indian restaurant "Passage to India" serves goat curry on their
> > buffet and lamb is always on the menu. *There's lots of vegetarian
> > stuff but NO PORK. *

> > Plus, all their meat is certified "Halal"

> They're lying; they buy from the cheapest place. Halal meat are not
> cheap.

It is here. A lot of the meat killed for mass consumption in NZ is
halal.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> On Sep 4, 6:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Manda Ruby > wrote:
> >
> > > It is BEEF.

> > > I onced ahd that. No one can lie to me about the taste of beef but I
> > > told myself that they'd not do that because their religion forbids
> > > eating beef. *Now, I have realized that the only reason the Indian
> > > restaurants do not sell beef is due to social pressure among peers.
> > > They mix in beef in their lamb or goat curry.

> > Which Indians are you talking about? *Not all Indians are Hindus, not by
> > a long shot. *

> Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? No.

Not beef by itself, no, but plenty that sell beef dishes.

> Why do
> you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
> Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

Oh, they'll go. They just won't order beef.

> I was talking about US. I admit that I failed to mention that.

This is an international newsgroup. You'll have to get used to us pesky
international types being here.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby > wrote:

> Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? No. Why do
> you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
> Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

Many Indian restaurants here serve beef; some serve both beef and pork.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 22:28:53 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>On Sep 4, 6:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> *Manda Ruby > wrote:
>>
>> > It is BEEF.

>> > I onced ahd that. No one can lie to me about the taste of beef but I
>> > told myself that they'd not do that because their religion forbids
>> > eating beef. *Now, I have realized that the only reason the Indian
>> > restaurants do not sell beef is due to social pressure among peers.
>> > They mix in beef in their lamb or goat curry.

>> Which Indians are you talking about? *Not all Indians are Hindus, not by
>> a long shot. *

>Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? No. Why do
>you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
>Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

You should perhaps reserve the "Duh" for yourself.
We have several very fine Indian restaurants within easy driving
distance of home. All the following dishes are available at one or
more of them, with chicken, lamb or BEEF.
Jalfrazi (also with goat)
Vindaloo (also with goat)
Kadhai
Saag
Curry (also with goat)
Korma
Not one dish with pork so it's safe to assume the owners are muslim.
And, if all Indians of Hindu persuasion choose to avoid these places,
I'd have to say the businesses haven't suffered for lack of clientele.

>I was talking about US. I admit that I failed to mention that.

The above mentioned restaurants are located in Canada which is not
much different from the USA.
But, a quick Google search of menus at Indian themed restaurants in
the USA also produced many with beef.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 3:30*pm, wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 22:28:53 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>

> > wrote:
> >On Sep 4, 6:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> >> In article

> >> Which Indians are you talking about? *Not all Indians are Hindus, not by
> >> a long shot. *

> >Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? *No. Why do
> >you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
> >Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

> You should perhaps reserve the "Duh" for yourself.
> We have several very fine Indian restaurants within easy driving
> distance of home. *All the following dishes are available at one or
> more of them, with chicken, lamb or BEEF.

If you are talkign about the restaurants in US, you are lying.

> Jalfrazi (also with goat)
> Vindaloo (also with goat)
> Kadhai
> Saag
> Curry (also with goat)
> Korma
> Not one dish with pork so it's safe to assume the owners are muslim.
> And, if all Indians of Hindu persuasion choose to avoid these places,
> I'd have to say the businesses haven't suffered for lack of clientele.
>
> >I was talking about US. I admit that I failed to mention that.

> The above mentioned restaurants are located in Canada which is not
> much different from the USA.
> But, a quick Google search of menus at Indian themed restaurants in
> the USA also produced many with beef.
>
> Ross.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 3:29*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> Manda Ruby > wrote:
> > Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? *No. Why do
> > you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
> > Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

> Many Indian restaurants here serve beef; some serve both beef and pork.
>
> Victor

Where is here? Not US?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby > wrote:

> On Sep 5, 3:29*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> > Manda Ruby > wrote:
> > > Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? *No. Why do
> > > you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
> > > Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

> > Many Indian restaurants here serve beef; some serve both beef and pork.

> Where is here? Not US?

Why should it matter? What you wrote above applies equally to any place
with a Hindu population significant enough to make a difference to
Indian restaurant trade. Most of the USA does not qualify, but it does
not seem to matter much, either.

Here are some random examples:

Wisconsin
<http://www.thetajindianrestaurant.com/beef_specialties.htm>
New York
<http://www.allmenus.com/ny/bronx/146678-tazmohol-indian-restaurant/menu/>
New York
<http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/indian-tandoor-oven-restaurant/menus/main.html>
Massachusetts
<http://indiaquality.com/tandoori.html>
Florida
<http://www.punjabindianrestaurant.com/page2.html#beef>
California
<http://www.shalimarsf.com/menu.htm>
New York
<http://www.sitarindianrestaurant.com/menus.nxg>
Texas
<http://www.dallasdinesout.com/restrant/m/maharaja/dinner.htm>
Texas
<http://www.tandoorihutaustin.com/Menu.htm>
Texas
<http://www.bombaygrillfortworth.com/Menu.aspx>
New York
<http://www.uppereast.com/shamrat.html>
Georgia
<http://www.himalayasindia.com/bdishes.html>
Wisconsin
<http://www.maharanimadison.com/menu.html>
California
<http://www.spiceavenuesb.com/menu.htm>

My irrelevant location is easily divined from my e-mail address (TLD).

Your agenda is just as easily divined: it is to imply that Hindus - all
of them - are hypocrites.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 23:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>On Sep 5, 3:30*pm, wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 22:28:53 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >Duh.. Have you seen any Indian restaurants that sell beef? *No. Why do
>> >you think that is? The reason is that if they sells beef, Hindu
>> >Indians will not come and they'll lose a big clientele.

>> You should perhaps reserve the "Duh" for yourself.
>> We have several very fine Indian restaurants within easy driving
>> distance of home. *All the following dishes are available at one or
>> more of them, with chicken, lamb or BEEF.

>If you are talkign about the restaurants in US, you are lying.

No, I'm not lying but you are certainly oblivious to the facts.
Here's a double "Duh" for you.
Read the last two sentences in my reply. Or, to save you time, here
they are again:
<Quote>
The above mentioned restaurants are located in Canada which is not
much different from the USA.
But, a quick Google search of menus at Indian themed restaurants in
the USA also produced many with beef.
<End Quote>
Now, for your edification and enlightenment, two minutes on Google
found literally hundreds of Indian restaurants in NY State alone.
Another 2 or 3 minutes checking their menus found no shortage of beef
dishes:
http://www.devinyc.com/index.html
or this one: http://www.thaliofindia.com/meatmenu.asp
or this one:
http://indiahouse.com/MenusBuffetDin...n_Veg_Menu.htm
You get the idea.

Ross.

Indian Lunch Buffet Tara General Cooking 9 11-07-2014 03:01 PM
Jamaican Goat Curry War[_4_] Recipes 1 07-06-2010 11:36 PM
Goat meat and Indian "mutton" curry Phred General Cooking 11 17-08-2006 01:13 PM
A South Indian lamb curry mroo philpott-smythe Asian Cooking 8 08-12-2004 08:32 PM