Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cole Slaw recipe request

Hi all,
It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
recipe?

Thank you!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03 Sep 2009 01:46:42 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>Hi all,
>It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>recipe?
>
>Thank you!!

Heh, my mama never made cole slaw so I didn't learn how to make it
from her. I do it the modern way: I buy the package of dry mix that
you'd find in the produce section at Safeway. I follow the directions
on the back of the package, but only use half of it for seasoning -
so, it's two fer one (LOL, I'm a regular Sandra Lee!). My method is
ok - I like it and nobody complains, but what I really want is a
decent recipe for vinegar based slaw because that's my favorite kind.

Good luck, I'm glad you started this thread!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 22:10:53 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:49:33 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>My method is
>>ok - I like it and nobody complains, but what I really want is a
>>decent recipe for vinegar based slaw because that's my favorite kind.\

>I have a vinegar based one, but give me a day or so to post it. I
>will be a bit groggy tomorrow after surgery...Maybe by Friday or
>sometime this weekend I can do it.

OK, I will await the recipe eagerly and good luck with the surgery!

My Dr. visit about eye issues gave me an option I didn't know existed.
Other than the fact that it's not paid for by my insurance, it's
really exciting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Cole Slaw recipe request

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:13:04 +1200, bob in nz
> wrote:
>
>Now that's one I will definitely try. Thank you. The last time I
>attempted a low-fat coleslaw with yogurt instead of mayonnaise it was
>disgusting. The addition of the lowfat Italian dressing and honey
>might make all the difference.

Oh, yes... you're jogging my memory now. That packaged mix I used...
part or all of it (I don't remember now) was replaced by plain yogurt.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 8:46*pm, sandi > wrote:
> Hi all,
> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. *What's your favorite
> recipe?
>
> Thank you!!

Vinegar Coleslaw

1 head of cabbage or use bags of shredded cabbage
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup bell pepper (red, green, whatever) minced
1 onion

Dressing:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cider (or rice) vinegar
1 TB salt
1 TB mustard seed
1 TB celery seed

Chop, shred or grate vegetables very fine (as you like them).
Bring dressing ingredients to a boil,
Remove from heat.
Pour hot dressing over vegetables.
Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate.

This much dressing will do twice the veggies if you wish. It stores
very well in big ziplock bags and keeps for weeks in your fridge, It
also travels well and stands up safely on a buffet table, You can
reheat the leftover dressing and pour it over "new" vegetables. Also
good on burgers, hotdogs & sandwiches.

Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Hi all,
> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
> recipe?
>
> Thank you!!

Mayo, vinegar, sugar, s&p.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in news:Xns9C7B504763A01donothave1invalid@
69.16.185.247 on Sep Thu 2009 am

>> Dressing:
>> 2 cups sugar
>> 1 1/2 cups cider (or rice) vinegar
>> 1 TB salt
>> 1 TB mustard seed
>> 1 TB celery seed

I've had success with this dressing, But Marion's just shredded Cabbage coleslaw wasn't to my
liking...needs at least the carrot...I did double the sugar in my attempt (I left Marrion's Recipe pure
and unsullied without this modification)

BOILED DRESSING
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour (be sure to fluff with a fork before measuring)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch ++ cayenne (a pinch yielded little flavor)
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup cider vinegar (I accidentally grabbed the white vinegar, it was no problem)
Generous salt
1 teaspoon celery seed (or more to taste)

[Optional: soak the cabbage halves in cold water in the frig for an hour.] Chop the cabbage into fine
pieces.

DRESSING
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over MEDIUM. Stir in the flour, sugar, mustard and
cayenne, stirring quickly to combine after each addition. Whisk together the yolks and milk in a
small bowl, add the vinegar. (It will appear to curdle.) A tablespoon at a time, stir into the flour
mixture, fully incorporating each new addition before adding more. Stir until the mixture thickens
slightly and when drawing a finger across the back of a spoon, the finger's path remains clear.
Season with salt and celery seed. Stir in the chopped cabbage. Taste and adjust seasonings to
taste. Refrigerate til ready to serve.

-Marion Cunningham's Lost Recipes

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 3, 7:43*am, Becca > wrote:
> sandi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > It's been ages since I made cole slaw. *What's your favorite
> > recipe?

> > Thank you!!

> Mayo, vinegar, sugar, s&p.
>
> Becca

That's pretty much my recipe. IIRC, it's about 3/4 cup of mayo for
a pound of shredded cabbage. Thin a little with vinegar, correct with
sugar (not very much sugar for me; I hate sweet salad dressings),
and s&p to taste. Lots of salt for me. Hold for a couple of hours to
half a day for the flavors to meld. If I'm feeling fancy, it gets a
shake
of onion powder. Celery seed is also a traditional addition.

I reckon you could use one of the low- or no-fat mayos. Miracle
Whip wouldn't need the sugar and vinegar. Maybe thin with milk
if you're a MW person?

Cook's Illustrated would have you salt and squeeze the cabbage so
it doesn't get runny, but that's usually only a problem if you hold it
for more than a day. It's so easy to make (I use the bagged, shredded
cabbage) that I make it as I need it.

CI also has a buttermilk dressing recipe, but I've never tried it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
47...
> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in
> on Sep Thu 2009 am
>
>> On Sep 2, 8:46 pm, sandi > wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>>> recipe?
>>>
>>> Thank you!!

>> Vinegar Coleslaw
>>
>> 1 head of cabbage or use bags of shredded cabbage
>> 2 carrots, shredded
>> 1/2 cup bell pepper (red, green, whatever) minced
>> 1 onion
>>
>> Dressing:
>> 2 cups sugar
>> 1 1/2 cups cider (or rice) vinegar
>> 1 TB salt
>> 1 TB mustard seed
>> 1 TB celery seed
>>
>> Chop, shred or grate vegetables very fine (as you like them).
>> Bring dressing ingredients to a boil,
>> Remove from heat.
>> Pour hot dressing over vegetables.
>> Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate.
>>
>> This much dressing will do twice the veggies if you wish. It stores
>> very well in big ziplock bags and keeps for weeks in your fridge, It
>> also travels well and stands up safely on a buffet table, You can
>> reheat the leftover dressing and pour it over "new" vegetables. Also
>> good on burgers, hotdogs & sandwiches.
>>
>> Lynn in Fargo
>>

> Is the sugar to vinegar ratio correct? Seems too far past simple syrup to
> me.

I was thinking that too. One head of cabbage and TWO cups of sugar? The
vinegar seems a bit much too. Seems like the result would get soupy fast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 8:46*pm, sandi > wrote:
> Hi all,
> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. *What's your favorite
> recipe?
>
> Thank you!!

From the famous Amana Colonies in Iowa:

Amana-Style Coleslaw Nancy Dooley

3 1/2 C. shredded cabbage
3/4 C. shredded carrots
1/4 C. finely diced white onion
1/4 C. finely chopped celery
1/2 C. mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
1 T. prepared horseradish
2 1/2 T. sugar
1 1/2 T. white vinegar
1 tsp. celery seed

Combine first four ingredients. In separate bowl, combine remaining
six ingredients. Add to cabbage mixture and mix well. Chill at least
1 hour before serving. Makes 6-8 servings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 said...

> On Sep 2, 8:46*pm, sandi > wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. *What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!

> From the famous Amana Colonies in Iowa:
>
> Amana-Style Coleslaw Nancy Dooley
>
> 3 1/2 C. shredded cabbage
> 3/4 C. shredded carrots
> 1/4 C. finely diced white onion
> 1/4 C. finely chopped celery
> 1/2 C. mayonnaise
> 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
> 1 T. prepared horseradish
> 2 1/2 T. sugar
> 1 1/2 T. white vinegar
> 1 tsp. celery seed
>
> Combine first four ingredients. In separate bowl, combine remaining
> six ingredients. Add to cabbage mixture and mix well. Chill at least
> 1 hour before serving. Makes 6-8 servings.

> Makes 6-8 servings.

???

I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT!!!

Saved & Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03 Sep 2009 01:46:42 GMT, sandi wrote:

> Hi all,
> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
> recipe?
>
> Thank you!!

i like this one. the powdered mustard gives it a little pep, and the
amount of sugar does not make it sweet:

cole slaw (adapted from 'the everyday cookbook' by betty wason)

2 cups (not too finely) shredded cabbage - about 1/4 inch wide

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp dry mustard

1/2 tbl sugar

1 to 1 1/2 tbl rice vinegar

1 1/2 tbls sour cream }
} or 2 tbl mayonnaise
1 tbl mayonnaise }

* * * * * * * *

mix together mustard, sugar and vinegar.

to shredded cabbage in bowl, add 1/2 the salt and toss. add the other
half, toss.

add vinegar mixture, toss.

add mayonnaise or sour cream/mayonnaise and toss. refrigerate.

4-6 side servings (it says here).

i usually use all mayonnaise, not often having sour cream on hand.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 3, 7:53*am, hahabogus > wrote:

> Is the sugar to vinegar ratio correct? Seems too far past simple syrup to me.
>
> --
> Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

It's how I make it but I'm sure you could cut it back. It's sweet but
it has a bite! Choose unseasoned Rice Vinegar. If you like,
substitute white distilled vinegar. The recipe doesn't call for any
chile but sometimes I shake a little Tabasco into the hot liquid
before I pour it on the veggies. I've never tried substituting
Splenda/Truvia/etc but I bet you could.
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> From the famous Amana Colonies in Iowa:
>
> Amana-Style Coleslaw Nancy Dooley
>
> 3 1/2 C. shredded cabbage
> 3/4 C. shredded carrots
> 1/4 C. finely diced white onion
> 1/4 C. finely chopped celery
> 1/2 C. mayonnaise
> 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
> 1 T. prepared horseradish
> 2 1/2 T. sugar
> 1 1/2 T. white vinegar
> 1 tsp. celery seed
>
> Combine first four ingredients. In separate bowl, combine remaining six
> ingredients. Add to cabbage mixture and mix well. Chill at least 1 hour
> before serving. Makes 6-8 servings.

Where does the microwave oven come into it? :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 3, 8:59*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
>
> 47...
>

> > Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in
> > on Sep Thu 2009 am

> >> Vinegar Coleslaw

> >> 1 head of cabbage or use bags of shredded cabbage
> >> 2 carrots, shredded
> >> 1/2 cup bell pepper (red, green, whatever) minced
> >> 1 onion

> >> Dressing:
> >> 2 cups sugar
> >> 1 1/2 cups cider (or rice) vinegar
> >> 1 TB salt
> >> 1 TB mustard seed
> >> 1 TB celery seed

> >> Chop, shred or grate vegetables very fine (as you like them).
> >> Bring dressing ingredients to a boil,
> >> Remove from heat.
> >> Pour hot *dressing over vegetables.
> >> Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate.

> >> This much dressing will do twice the veggies if you wish. * It stores
> >> very well in big ziplock bags and keeps for weeks *in your fridge, It
> >> also travels well and stands up safely on a buffet table, *You can
> >> reheat the leftover dressing and pour *it over "new" vegetables. *Also
> >> good on burgers, hotdogs & sandwiches.

> >> Lynn in Fargo

> > Is the sugar to vinegar ratio correct? Seems too far past simple syrup to
> > me.

> I was thinking that too. One head of cabbage and TWO cups of sugar? The
> vinegar seems a bit much too. Seems like the result would get soupy fast.

This is a LOT of liquid. You can add as much cabbage/veggie stuff as
it will hold as long as there's enough liquid to keep it a little
sloshy. The original recipe assumes you're going to hold this in your
refrigerator for a few weeks and just keep replenishing the veggies.
If you like you can reheat the strained liquid bring it to a boil and
pour it over the new veggies.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote

>This is a LOT of liquid. You can add as much cabbage/veggie stuff as
>it will hold as long as there's enough liquid to keep it a little
>sloshy. The original recipe assumes you're going to hold this in your
>refrigerator for a few weeks and just keep replenishing the veggies.

Oh! Cool idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
> recipe?
>
> Thank you!!

The Pantry in Down town LA served 2.5 TONS of cabbage PER WEEK.

here is their recipe:

Very simple - DO NOT SUB any other vinegar.

The best I ever made and not mayonnaiseyyy

Dimitri

ORIGINAL PANTRY COLE SLAW
From the Original Pantry and 9th & Figueroa St., Downtown L.A.

3/4 c. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/3 c. oil
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. celery salt
Dash of black pepper
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. half and half
1/4 tsp. salt
1 lg. head cabbage, very finely shredded
Blend together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and oil. Add garlic and onion
powders, mustard, celery salt, pepper, lemon juice, half and half and salt.
Stir until smooth. Pour over cabbage in large bowl and toss until cabbage is
well coated. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Escargots (was:Cole Slaw recipe request)

blake murphy wrote:

> i like this one. the powdered mustard gives it a little pep, and the
> amount of sugar does not make it sweet:

> cole slaw (adapted from 'the everyday cookbook' by betty wason)

<snipped recipe because I hate cabbage, any form of cabbage (except
cabbage's Close Relative a.k.a. Brussels sprouts. Hey I'm female...)>

Glad to see you posting again, blake. When you miss a day (or two), I
get worried. (Actually, more like I get jealous because you obviously
have a life outside of Usenet.)

Anyway, I am wandering waaay too far OT...

Could I interest you in a recipe for snails, um - I mean escargots?

Title: Escargots on Mushroom Caps
Servings: 6
Source: Can't remember where I got this recipe. (Maybe somebody sent it
to me via email or maybe somebody posted it here, or maybe I found it
on the net somewhere, who knows?)

---
Ingredients
---
18 Snails
1 Bay leaf
1 c White wine
2 tb Chopped onion
4 Cloves garlic, crushed
1 Dash allspice
1 ts Soy sauce
1/4 ts Vegetable seasoning
1/2 c Butter
3 tb Finely chopped parsley
2 tb Minced green onions
1/4 ts Nutmeg
18 Mushroom caps

---
Instructions
---

Capture 18 snails. Place them in a ventilated box with corn meal.
With a sprayer bottle, spray the corn meal. Keep them in this
environment at least 72 hours. Remove the snails and wash them in
cold water. Drop them into boiling water with bay leaf and let simmer
15 minutes. Drain in colander and pick meat out of shell. Remove the
fall or the tail end where the snail is attached to the shell. Wash
snails in cold running water. Set aside. If you prefer, use canned
snails, and rinse in cold water.

In a sauce pan, combine white wine, onion, garlic, allspice, soy sauce
and vegetable seasoning.

Add snails and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Remove and drain
snails, reserving liquid. To this liquid add butter, parsley and
green onions. Heat through; add nutmeg. Place mushroom caps in baking
dish, top each with a snail, and pour liquid over all; bake at 450
degrees for 7 minutes. Serve immediately with sliced french bread.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:59:30 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Title: Escargots on Mushroom Caps
>Servings: 6
>Source: Can't remember where I got this recipe. (Maybe somebody sent it
>to me via email or maybe somebody posted it here, or maybe I found it
>on the net somewhere, who knows?)

Have you made it yet, Cathy? I made escargots in mushroom caps *once*
years ago. I was totally grossed out by the time I'd finished
assembling them and couldn't eat even one although people said they
were delicious. After that, I decided I'd rather let someone else do
the preparations so I could still enjoy eating them.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:59:30 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>Title: Escargots on Mushroom Caps
>>Servings: 6
>>Source: Can't remember where I got this recipe. (Maybe somebody sent
>>it to me via email or maybe somebody posted it here, or maybe I found
>>it on the net somewhere, who knows?)

> Have you made it yet, Cathy? I made escargots in mushroom caps *once*
> years ago. I was totally grossed out by the time I'd finished
> assembling them and couldn't eat even one although people said they
> were delicious. After that, I decided I'd rather let someone else do
> the preparations so I could still enjoy eating them.

Heh. I don't hunt snails in the garden - I cheat and buy the canned
ones ;-)

But I do enjoy snails (and mushrooms) very much so I have tried
something very close to this recipe - i.e. not word for word. They were
still good!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Escargots

sf wrote:

> Have you made it yet, Cathy? I made escargots in mushroom caps *once*
> years ago. I was totally grossed out by the time I'd finished
> assembling them and couldn't eat even one although people said they
> were delicious. After that, I decided I'd rather let someone else do
> the preparations so I could still enjoy eating them.

I have had escargots a few times, but served with a garlic butter sauce.
they were okay. I like garlic butter and it was powerful enough that
the snails didn't really taste of anything other than garlic butter.

I had a funny experience in a very quaint old restaurant in a little
hamlet near Verdun, France on my last trip there. We had rented a car in
Germany and it was the only car in the parking lot. Part way through our
lunch, the owner came in for his lunch break. He was a taxi driver. He
was jabbering away about the rain and how it makes the snails come out,
and how the French love escargots but you Germans don't eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:42:21 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Heh. I don't hunt snails in the garden - I cheat and buy the canned
>ones ;-)

I've snail hunted with that intent, but never got beyond the purging
stage. My little episode was with canned escargots. I guess your
stomach is stronger than mine. :\

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:59:30 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Title: Escargots on Mushroom Caps
> >>Servings: 6
> >>Source: Can't remember where I got this recipe. (Maybe somebody sent
> >>it to me via email or maybe somebody posted it here, or maybe I found
> >>it on the net somewhere, who knows?)

> > Have you made it yet, Cathy? I made escargots in mushroom caps *once*
> > years ago. I was totally grossed out by the time I'd finished
> > assembling them and couldn't eat even one although people said they
> > were delicious. After that, I decided I'd rather let someone else do
> > the preparations so I could still enjoy eating them.
> >

> Heh. I don't hunt snails in the garden - I cheat and buy the canned
> ones ;-)
>
> But I do enjoy snails (and mushrooms) very much so I have tried
> something very close to this recipe - i.e. not word for word. They were
> still good!

I'm betting this'd work great with crawfish tails... ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

> Hi all,
> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
> recipe?
>
> Thank you!!

Mix of cabbages, finely shredded, with a little slivered onion. Dressed
with oil, vinegar, celery salt (yes I like it LOL), salt and pepper.
Sometimes fresh parsley if we happen to have any.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On 03 Sep 2009 01:46:42 GMT, sandi >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>>recipe?
>>
>>Thank you!!

> Heh, my mama never made cole slaw so I didn't learn how to
> make it from her. I do it the modern way: I buy the package
> of dry mix that you'd find in the produce section at Safeway.
> I follow the directions on the back of the package, but only
> use half of it for seasoning - so, it's two fer one (LOL, I'm
> a regular Sandra Lee!). My method is ok - I like it and
> nobody complains, but what I really want is a decent recipe
> for vinegar based slaw because that's my favorite kind.
>
> Good luck, I'm glad you started this thread!

Thanks. I love cabbage and it's been nearly FOREVER since I made
any from scratch. Though I have an idea how I used to do it
(peeked at online recipes for the dressing) I thought I'd ask the
experts.

Thanks sf... I'll have to check out my Safeway for your dry mix.
:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in

s.com:

> On Sep 2, 8:46*pm, sandi > wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. *What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!

> Vinegar Coleslaw
>
> 1 head of cabbage or use bags of shredded cabbage
> 2 carrots, shredded
> 1/2 cup bell pepper (red, green, whatever) minced
> 1 onion
>
> Dressing:
> 2 cups sugar
> 1 1/2 cups cider (or rice) vinegar
> 1 TB salt
> 1 TB mustard seed
> 1 TB celery seed
>
> Chop, shred or grate vegetables very fine (as you like them).
> Bring dressing ingredients to a boil,
> Remove from heat.
> Pour hot dressing over vegetables.
> Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate.
>
> This much dressing will do twice the veggies if you wish. It
> stores very well in big ziplock bags and keeps for weeks in
> your fridge, It also travels well and stands up safely on a
> buffet table, You can reheat the leftover dressing and pour
> it over "new" vegetables. Also good on burgers, hotdogs &
> sandwiches.
>
> Lynn in Fargo

I'm going to try adding the bell pepper. Never had it in my slaw
before.

Thank you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca > wrote in
:

> sandi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!
>>

> Mayo, vinegar, sugar, s&p.
>

> Becca

Thats what I was thinking. Though I will have to play with the
amounts. I don't know my own pour, scoop, measure balances yet.
;o) I'm apt to pour to heavy in one area and to light in another!!

Thank you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in

s.com:

> On Sep 2, 8:46*pm, sandi > wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. *What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!

> From the famous Amana Colonies in Iowa:
>
> Amana-Style Coleslaw Nancy Dooley
>
> 3 1/2 C. shredded cabbage
> 3/4 C. shredded carrots
> 1/4 C. finely diced white onion
> 1/4 C. finely chopped celery
> 1/2 C. mayonnaise
> 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
> 1 T. prepared horseradish
> 2 1/2 T. sugar
> 1 1/2 T. white vinegar
> 1 tsp. celery seed
>
> Combine first four ingredients. In separate bowl, combine
> remaining six ingredients. Add to cabbage mixture and mix
> well. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 6-8
> servings.

Oooooooooooh! Horseradish! Yum. I think I'll use a bit of that.
This is sounds so good. Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> On 03 Sep 2009 01:46:42 GMT, sandi wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!

> i like this one. the powdered mustard gives it a little pep,
> and the amount of sugar does not make it sweet:
>
> cole slaw (adapted from 'the everyday cookbook' by betty
> wason)
>
> 2 cups (not too finely) shredded cabbage - about 1/4 inch wide
>
> 1 tsp salt
>
> 1/4 tsp dry mustard
>
> 1/2 tbl sugar
>
> 1 to 1 1/2 tbl rice vinegar
>
> 1 1/2 tbls sour cream }
> } or 2 tbl mayonnaise
> 1 tbl mayonnaise }
>
> * * * * * * * *
>
> mix together mustard, sugar and vinegar.
>
> to shredded cabbage in bowl, add 1/2 the salt and toss. add
> the other half, toss.
>
> add vinegar mixture, toss.
>
> add mayonnaise or sour cream/mayonnaise and toss.
> refrigerate.
>
> 4-6 side servings (it says here).
>
> i usually use all mayonnaise, not often having sour cream on
> hand.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Interesting. I WILL have to try the dry mustard. And I am out of
the rice vinegar. (Adding to shopping list.)
Thank you Blake!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in
:

> "sandi" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!

> The Pantry in Down town LA served 2.5 TONS of cabbage PER
> WEEK.
>
> here is their recipe:
>
> Very simple - DO NOT SUB any other vinegar.
>
> The best I ever made and not mayonnaiseyyy
>
> Dimitri
>
> ORIGINAL PANTRY COLE SLAW
> From the Original Pantry and 9th & Figueroa St., Downtown L.A.
>
> 3/4 c. mayonnaise
> 3 tbsp. sugar
> 1 1/2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
> 1/3 c. oil
> 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
> 1/8 tsp. onion powder
> 1/8 tsp. dry mustard
> 1/8 tsp. celery salt
> Dash of black pepper
> 1 tbsp. lemon juice
> 1/2 c. half and half
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1 lg. head cabbage, very finely shredded
> Blend together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and oil. Add garlic
> and onion powders, mustard, celery salt, pepper, lemon juice,
> half and half and salt. Stir until smooth. Pour over cabbage
> in large bowl and toss until cabbage is well coated. Makes 8
> to 10 servings.

OH! Now this sounds deee-lish-us. I remember adding the lemon
juice to mine ages ago. I will have to go get some 1/2 & 1/2.

Thank you!!!!! Yum yum

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Hi all,
> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
> recipe?
>
> Thank you!!

Mayo, vinegar, honey, and celery seeds.

--
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in
:

> sandi wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!

> Mix of cabbages, finely shredded, with a little slivered
> onion. Dressed with oil, vinegar, celery salt (yes I like it
> LOL), salt and pepper. Sometimes fresh parsley if we happen to
> have any.

I can't wait to play with all these ingredients. Though I will
have to be careful. I'm awful without general measurements! And
I don't want to start all over with a recipe again or make GALLONS
trying to adjust! LOL Thank you Arri!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> sandi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>> recipe?
>>
>> Thank you!!

> Mayo, vinegar, honey, and celery seeds.

Honey? Hmmm that's a new one. Thanks. I will give it a try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:59:30 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> i like this one. the powdered mustard gives it a little pep, and the
>> amount of sugar does not make it sweet:

>> cole slaw (adapted from 'the everyday cookbook' by betty wason)

> <snipped recipe because I hate cabbage, any form of cabbage (except
> cabbage's Close Relative a.k.a. Brussels sprouts. Hey I'm female...)>
>
> Glad to see you posting again, blake. When you miss a day (or two), I
> get worried. (Actually, more like I get jealous because you obviously
> have a life outside of Usenet.)

that's very sweet of you to say so, c.c., but i've been here right along.
maybe in threads you've killed.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04 Sep 2009 00:50:33 GMT, sandi wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 03 Sep 2009 01:46:42 GMT, sandi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> It's been ages since I made cole slaw. What's your favorite
>>> recipe?
>>>
>>> Thank you!!

>> i like this one. the powdered mustard gives it a little pep,
>> and the amount of sugar does not make it sweet:
>>
>> cole slaw (adapted from 'the everyday cookbook' by betty
>> wason)

<snip recipe>

>> your pal,
>> blake

> Interesting. I WILL have to try the dry mustard. And I am out of
> the rice vinegar. (Adding to shopping list.)
> Thank you Blake!

i really like this because it's not sweet. i don't like the commercial
stuff that's more cabbage flakes than shreds, either.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On 04 Sep 2009 00:50:33 GMT, sandi wrote:
>
>> blake murphy > wrote in
>> :

>>> i like this one. the powdered mustard gives it a little pep,
>>> and the amount of sugar does not make it sweet:
>>>
>>> cole slaw (adapted from 'the everyday cookbook' by betty
>>> wason)
>>>

> <snip recipe>
>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> Interesting. I WILL have to try the dry mustard. And I am out of
>> the rice vinegar. (Adding to shopping list.)
>> Thank you Blake!

> i really like this because it's not sweet. i don't like the commercial
> stuff that's more cabbage flakes than shreds, either.

I like grated cabbage in cole slaw, not the long shreds. For some reason to
me the cabbage tastes sweeter this way. It always looks kind of fresh green,
too. I like it with just enough dressing, and a few carrots grated in. I
can't buy it out any more because is always stringy and soupy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
> 31 Calories; 1g Fat (23.6% calories from fat);
> 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
> *1mg Cholesterol; 80mg Sodium.
> * Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
> 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat;
> *0 Other Carbohydrates.

i just made this up, with one change. i didn't have any low calorie
french dressing, but i did have some raspberry vinegrette, so i used
it instead. lovely pink color.

harriet & critters in humid, hot, and still smoky azusa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:39:50 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:

-->
-->>
-->> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-->>
-->> Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
-->> 31 Calories; 1g Fat (23.6% calories from fat);
-->> 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
-->> *1mg Cholesterol; 80mg Sodium.
-->> * Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
-->> 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat;
-->> *0 Other Carbohydrates.
-->
-->i just made this up, with one change. i didn't have any low calorie
-->french dressing, but i did have some raspberry vinegrette, so i used
-->it instead. lovely pink color.
-->
-->harriet & critters in humid, hot, and still smoky azusa
-->t

How'd you like it?