Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pantry Moths (Me Too)

I had an instance of Pantry Moths last week. I was reluctant to admit
it here, but now that I've brought up the courage to do so, I see that
I'm not alone.

I only saw 3 of them, in my bag of rice. (I buy jasmine rice in 25
pound bags). 2 of them flew away when I opened the bag, and I caught
the third one. I didn't know about pantry moths before, but I figured
that 3 of the same insect in a bag of grain is probably worth
researching. So i threw out the rice (there were 10 pounds left), a
bag of flour, sugar (just in case), a couple of boxes of cereal, brat
buns, a partial loaf of bread, an opened bag of chips and any other
misc. boxed grains I had in the cabinet. I've only seen one moth in
my apartment since then (which I smashed). The other is MIA, but I
hope it's not an impregnated female. I would like to think I was
lucky this time and nipped it in the bud. However, I don't discount
that there are other eggs somewhere hatching, or other larvae
metamorphosing into moths. I can't seem to find anything on the
actual lifecycle (in a time context) on the internet, but I guess that
if I don't see any more moths in a month I'm good.

In the meantime, I'm keeping (newly bought) bread in the fridge and
holding off on other grain purchases until I acquire some containers.
Seems like if you look hard enough you can find containers that will
fit a whole bag of sugar or flour, but any thoughts on a 25 pound bag
of rice? Is 'sterilite' food safe? Will it impart plasticy
flavouring?

I asked the Asian guys I work with what they store their rice in.
They both say it's a plastic-like container, but they don't really
know what kind. It's got to be large, as they both say they buy rice
in 100 pound bags. I mean, shit.. it could be a Rubbermaid trash can
or something. They also both say that they've NEVER seen insects in
their rice since they've been in the U.S. (though in Viet Nam it
happens occasionally). I don't remember seeing huge plastic
containers at Asian markets, but maybe they were there and I didn't
notice.

I read that putting grains in the freezer for 3 or more days will kill
anything that's in it, but my freezer isn't big enough for a huge sack
of rice. I guess I'll have to wait for winter and set the bag out on
the balcony if I want to buy in such quantity, eh? I think the
smallest bag I've seen is 10 pounds, which is still sizeable. Kind of
too bad, because I really like the rice I get in Asian markets, and
it's ridiculously inexpensive.

Any recommendations for crazy big mad rice storage?

Thanks

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:
> I had an instance of Pantry Moths last week. I was reluctant to admit
> it here, but now that I've brought up the courage to do so, I see that
> I'm not alone.
>
> I only saw 3 of them, in my bag of rice. (I buy jasmine rice in 25
> pound bags). 2 of them flew away when I opened the bag, and I caught
> the third one. I didn't know about pantry moths before, but I figured
> that 3 of the same insect in a bag of grain is probably worth
> researching. So i threw out the rice (there were 10 pounds left), a
> bag of flour, sugar (just in case), a couple of boxes of cereal, brat
> buns, a partial loaf of bread, an opened bag of chips and any other
> misc. boxed grains I had in the cabinet. I've only seen one moth in
> my apartment since then (which I smashed). The other is MIA, but I
> hope it's not an impregnated female. I would like to think I was
> lucky this time and nipped it in the bud. However, I don't discount
> that there are other eggs somewhere hatching, or other larvae
> metamorphosing into moths. I can't seem to find anything on the
> actual lifecycle (in a time context) on the internet, but I guess that
> if I don't see any more moths in a month I'm good.
>
> In the meantime, I'm keeping (newly bought) bread in the fridge and
> holding off on other grain purchases until I acquire some containers.
> Seems like if you look hard enough you can find containers that will
> fit a whole bag of sugar or flour, but any thoughts on a 25 pound bag
> of rice? Is 'sterilite' food safe? Will it impart plasticy
> flavouring?
>
> I asked the Asian guys I work with what they store their rice in.
> They both say it's a plastic-like container, but they don't really
> know what kind. It's got to be large, as they both say they buy rice
> in 100 pound bags. I mean, shit.. it could be a Rubbermaid trash can
> or something. They also both say that they've NEVER seen insects in
> their rice since they've been in the U.S. (though in Viet Nam it
> happens occasionally). I don't remember seeing huge plastic
> containers at Asian markets, but maybe they were there and I didn't
> notice.
>
> I read that putting grains in the freezer for 3 or more days will kill
> anything that's in it, but my freezer isn't big enough for a huge sack
> of rice. I guess I'll have to wait for winter and set the bag out on
> the balcony if I want to buy in such quantity, eh? I think the
> smallest bag I've seen is 10 pounds, which is still sizeable. Kind of
> too bad, because I really like the rice I get in Asian markets, and
> it's ridiculously inexpensive.
>
> Any recommendations for crazy big mad rice storage?
>
> Thanks
>
> -J

Even though I have occasional fights with moths, they don't seem to get
in the white rice. I buy jasmine rice in giant bags and just store the
rice in the bag. Takes me about 2 years to get to the bottom of the
bag. I do rinse it before use, and I check for "floaters" when I cook it
as the water just comes to a boil (have never found any.) I have a
bigger problem with them getting into small bags of brown rice. They
will eat holes thru the plastic bags to get in that stuff. I don't
think the white rice is nutritious enough for them to thrive in it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 12:32*pm, phaeton > wrote:
>*Kind of
> too bad, because I really like the rice I get in Asian markets, and
> it's ridiculously inexpensive.
>
> Any recommendations for crazy big mad rice storage?
>
> Thanks
>
> -J

It may be cheap but those markets are filthy. I would not buy anything
at an ethnic market (any ethnicity) that wasn't tightly sealed in a
glass jar or can. Boxes are too easy for dirt and bugs to penetrate
and even plastic bags are not impenetrable. Particularly if it's an
item that's been imported from another country (especially Asia). I
won't buy imported food items from Asia at any grocery store.

Is saving 2-3 bucks on rice worth risking your health? The bugs you
had in your house probably came in with the groceries from the filthy
Asian market you bought your rice in. And forget Indian markets,
even filthier. (of course, India itself is filthy, so how could their
exports be anything but). People buy foods and spices from Indian
market bins because they are cheap but whose filthy hands have been in
that bin? And then they wonder why there are bugs in their pantry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"none of your business" wrote

> It may be cheap but those markets are filthy. I would not buy anything
> at an ethnic market (any ethnicity) that wasn't tightly sealed in a

Give it a rest. You obviously either have the rare bad one, or like to see
your potatos individually wrapped in plastic and microwave ready.

The local Asian grocery to me, is so clean you could eat off the floor as
the saying goes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 4:43*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "none of your business" wrote
>
> > It may be cheap but those markets are filthy. I would not buy anything
> > at an ethnic market (any ethnicity) that wasn't tightly sealed in a

> Give it a rest. *You obviously either have the rare bad one, or like to see
> your potatos individually wrapped in plastic and microwave ready.
>
> The local Asian grocery to me, is so clean you could eat off the floor as
> the saying goes.

Agreed. The Asian store I go to is cleaner than some grocery stores.
In fact, I think it was the dirty Woodman's I bought cereal and bread
from that gave me the moths, but I guess I'll never know. I had
actually had that bag of rice for a few months, and last week was the
first I had ever seen of the moths. Rice was 3 months old, bread and
cereal was 3 days old. I only go to that Woodman's once in awhile
because they have a few things (e.g., soy chorizo, organic edamame,
apple-flavoured soda) that I can't get anywhere else. Guess I won't
anymore.

I think I've mentioned here before that i'm one of those crazy white
boys that loves rice. I *could* eat it with every meal if I knew how
to make more things that go with it, but on average I have at least
one rice-driven meal per day. I often use it as a substitute for
bread. I.e., instead of making pulled-pork sandwiches, I'll put the
pork on rice instead. I'm weird like that. I think it has been about
8 days since I've had rice and I can't stop thinking about the
Japanese restaurant down the street. Hmm...

I'll have to go back to the Asian market and see if they have these
containers. The one I go to most often has all kinds of stuff that's
not on display- but if I ask one of the kids, he'll ask his dad, and
his dad will go get it from a storage area. Maybe I can get a smaller
bag of rice to put in the freezer, just to be safe.

When I buy a house again, I do intend on getting a huge freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.N." wrote
On Aug 26, 4:43 pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "none of your business" wrote
>
>> > It may be cheap but those markets are filthy. I would not buy anything
>> > at an ethnic market (any ethnicity) that wasn't tightly sealed in a

>> Give it a rest. You obviously either have the rare bad one, or like to
>> see
>> your potatos individually wrapped in plastic and microwave ready.

>Agreed. The Asian store I go to is cleaner than some grocery stores.

The fact is the one i go to is cleaner than the other mass USA ones.

> In fact, I think it was the dirty Woodman's I bought cereal and bread
> from that gave me the moths, but I guess I'll never know. I had
> actually had that bag of rice for a few months, and last week was the
> first I had ever seen of the moths. Rice was 3 months old, bread and

Wasnt the rice then. 2-4 weeks, not longer ;-)

> think I've mentioned here before that i'm one of those crazy white
> boys that loves rice. I *could* eat it with every meal if I knew how
> to make more things that go with it, but on average I have at least
> one rice-driven meal per day. I often use it as a substitute for
> bread. I.e., instead of making pulled-pork sandwiches, I'll put the
> pork on rice instead. I'm weird like that. I think it has been about
> 8 days since I've had rice and I can't stop thinking about the
> Japanese restaurant down the street. Hmm...

Snicker, I went nuts in 3 days when the cord on a rice maker died. I got a
temp unit that day and have a spare now that I have the cord for the good
one.

Rice is just made as it is here. It matches everything in our lexicon.

I'll have to go back to the Asian market and see if they have these
containers. The one I go to most often has all kinds of stuff that's
not on display- but if I ask one of the kids, he'll ask his dad, and
his dad will go get it from a storage area. Maybe I can get a smaller
bag of rice to put in the freezer, just to be safe.

When I buy a house again, I do intend on getting a huge freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:14:48 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>When I buy a house again, I do intend on getting a huge freezer.

I always laugh at the thought of consecutive houses. I am in my first
and only house. We were talking about downsizing at one point, but to
be honest we'll probably die here (which was my intent when we
bought).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I always laugh at the thought of consecutive houses. I am in my first
> and only house. We were talking about downsizing at one point, but to
> be honest we'll probably die here (which was my intent when we
> bought).

I bought a tract home in 1980 and never thought of it as an investment.
It's the place to hang my hat and call home, and it's paid for. If the
value of my home declines to ten bucks, it'll still be mine and the
property taxes should be lower.
However, having said that, if you live in the City, I'll trade you
straight up, sell yours, move back here and split the profit ;-)

[ObFood]
for two people quickly
six tenths of a pound of deli thin sliced roast beef
a fresh loaf of french bread
sharp cheddar
dill pickle slices
mayo

Cut about three inches of the tapered ends off the french loaf and
divide what's left into two portions. Where I buy french loafs that'd be
approximately a four inch by six inch oval. Slice each oval in half as
you would to make a sandwich.
Mayo the heck out of the flat sides of both pieces.
Add 1/8" slices of dill pickle to the bottom piece to cover.
Put a quarter pound or a little more of the thin sliced roast beef on
top of the pickles. You can fold it in to fit the bread.
Add 1/8" sharp cheddar to the top of the roast beef to cover.
Smoosh the top of the french roll on what you have and eat.
Serve with potato chips or whatever. I always like milk with dill
pickles.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:40:37 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>However, having said that, if you live in the City, I'll trade you
>straight up, sell yours, move back here and split the profit ;-)

Yes, I do live in the City... and your offer gave me an LOL!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:14:48 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >When I buy a house again, I do intend on getting a huge freezer.

> I always laugh at the thought of consecutive houses. I am in my first
> and only house. We were talking about downsizing at one point, but to
> be honest we'll probably die here (which was my intent when we
> bought).

I feel you there sf. :-) I bought this house 22 years ago when I
graduated from college. I'd not mind having a bigger one, but the
refinance will be done in 2 years,

Then I can afford to do a bit of remodeling, and might expand it a bit.
<g>

We already expanded it once with the 12' x 28' sun porch.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: