Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The dreaded pantry moths

Kajikit wrote:
> I saw one of the little buggers flying around last night and one the
> night before (maybe the same one?!) so I had a nasty feeling about our
> pantry... when I went to cook a packet of pasta today it was
> confirmed. ARGH!!!!!! Two hours later, everything in the pantry was
> checked, some really old stuff was discarded, and everything else was
> sealed in plastic or glass jars for bug-quarantine. Good thing I've
> been saving peanut butter jars for preserving - they were just the
> right size to hold small amounts of stuff like ginger and tapioca... I
> didn't see any signs of bugs in anything else, so I'm hoping it was
> just a bad pack from the supermarket and that the rest of our food is
> safe! I bought that packet of pasta at Walmart last week so it hadn't
> been sitting around for very long.
>
> That said, how do you deal with pantry moths? What foods DON'T they
> like to eat?

When I get them, everything goes in the freezer. (I think they come in
in cardboard canisters of oatmeal, I should learn to put that directly
in the freezer when I buy it) The worst was when they got into my dried
jalapeņos and ruined them -- about a pound of dried diced pepper.

I just recently threw out a bag of masa that wiggled when I opened it.
:-P It had been in the pantry for a few months.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Kajikit wrote:
>> I saw one of the little buggers flying around last night and one the
>> night before (maybe the same one?!) so I had a nasty feeling about our
>> pantry... when I went to cook a packet of pasta today it was
>> confirmed. ARGH!!!!!! Two hours later, everything in the pantry was
>> checked, some really old stuff was discarded, and everything else was
>> sealed in plastic or glass jars for bug-quarantine. Good thing I've
>> been saving peanut butter jars for preserving - they were just the
>> right size to hold small amounts of stuff like ginger and tapioca... I
>> didn't see any signs of bugs in anything else, so I'm hoping it was
>> just a bad pack from the supermarket and that the rest of our food is
>> safe! I bought that packet of pasta at Walmart last week so it hadn't
>> been sitting around for very long.
>> That said, how do you deal with pantry moths? What foods DON'T they
>> like to eat?

> When I get them, everything goes in the freezer. (I think they come in
> in cardboard canisters of oatmeal, I should learn to put that directly
> in the freezer when I buy it) The worst was when they got into my dried
> jalapeņos and ruined them -- about a pound of dried diced pepper.
>
> I just recently threw out a bag of masa that wiggled when I opened it.
> :-P It had been in the pantry for a few months.
>
> Bob

Living out in the country in way-the-heck-south Texas, we have the
exterminator every 3 months so I have no problems with pantry critters,
but one time I reached for the flour canister and there were wigglers in
the flour. That sack of flour was a store brand. I don't know why I had
bought the store brand that time and not one of the national brands that
I normally use. I cleaned everything up and went back to using the
national brands and have not had any more problems.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Kajikit wrote:
>>> I saw one of the little buggers flying around last night and one the
>>> night before (maybe the same one?!) so I had a nasty feeling about our
>>> pantry... when I went to cook a packet of pasta today it was
>>> confirmed. ARGH!!!!!! Two hours later, everything in the pantry was
>>> checked, some really old stuff was discarded, and everything else was
>>> sealed in plastic or glass jars for bug-quarantine. Good thing I've
>>> been saving peanut butter jars for preserving - they were just the
>>> right size to hold small amounts of stuff like ginger and tapioca... I
>>> didn't see any signs of bugs in anything else, so I'm hoping it was
>>> just a bad pack from the supermarket and that the rest of our food is
>>> safe! I bought that packet of pasta at Walmart last week so it hadn't
>>> been sitting around for very long.
>>> That said, how do you deal with pantry moths? What foods DON'T they
>>> like to eat?

>> When I get them, everything goes in the freezer. (I think they come
>> in in cardboard canisters of oatmeal, I should learn to put that
>> directly in the freezer when I buy it) The worst was when they got
>> into my dried jalapeņos and ruined them -- about a pound of dried
>> diced pepper.
>>
>> I just recently threw out a bag of masa that wiggled when I opened it.
>> :-P It had been in the pantry for a few months.
>>
>> Bob

> Living out in the country in way-the-heck-south Texas, we have the
> exterminator every 3 months so I have no problems with pantry critters,
> but one time I reached for the flour canister and there were wigglers in
> the flour. That sack of flour was a store brand. I don't know why I had
> bought the store brand that time and not one of the national brands that
> I normally use. I cleaned everything up and went back to using the
> national brands and have not had any more problems.

I have found critters in most every brand of flour or dog biscuits I buy
at the local stores. Like you I have the bug killer company in every two
months and don't have critters in the pantry. Just to be sure every meal
or flour whatever I buy goes in the freezer for at least a week before
being opened and then goes into a sealed container on the shelf. I
rarely see pantry critters anymore unless someone who shall remain
unknown buys something and sticks it in there without my knowledge. So
there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 26 Aug 2009 04:53:40a, George Shirley told us...
>
> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Living out in the country in way-the-heck-south Texas, we have the
>>> exterminator every 3 months so I have no problems with pantry critters,
>>> but one time I reached for the flour canister and there were wigglers in
>>> the flour. That sack of flour was a store brand. I don't know why I had
>>> bought the store brand that time and not one of the national brands that
>>> I normally use. I cleaned everything up and went back to using the
>>> national brands and have not had any more problems.
>>>

>> I have found critters in most every brand of flour or dog biscuits I buy
>> at the local stores. Like you I have the bug killer company in every two
>> months and don't have critters in the pantry. Just to be sure every meal
>> or flour whatever I buy goes in the freezer for at least a week before
>> being opened and then goes into a sealed container on the shelf. I
>> rarely see pantry critters anymore unless someone who shall remain
>> unknown buys something and sticks it in there without my knowledge. So
>> there!
>>

> I've only had pantry moths once and that was in an overhead cabinet used
> only for storing boxes of dry cereal. When examining the boxes after
> discovering the moths, it was evident that it had been carried in *on* the
> bottom of a box from the store.
>
> I found mealworms in cornmeal once, when I used to store it on the kitchen
> counter in a cannister. Ever since then I store all meals and flours
> (except AP flour) in the freezer, especially since much of it isn't used
> often. The AP flour is in a tightly sealed container in the pantry.

I have several varieties of flour stored in sealed containers in the
pantry Wayne. Once I've frozen the container the flour came in for a
week nothing survives. Mostly what you see is the larvae that has
hatched from the eggs that are, mostly, in all grains you buy. You
should see the list of what is allowed in food in this country. So many
insect parts, rodent hairs, rodent feces, etc. Of course most producers
do their best to keep things cleaner than the USDA allows so we don't
see a lot of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The dreaded panty moths

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I have found critters in most every brand of flour or dog biscuits I buy
>>> at the local stores. Like you I have the bug killer company in every two
>>> months and don't have critters in the pantry. Just to be sure every meal
>>> or flour whatever I buy goes in the freezer for at least a week before
>>> being opened and then goes into a sealed container on the shelf. I
>>> rarely see pantry critters anymore unless someone who shall remain
>>> unknown buys something and sticks it in there without my knowledge. So
>>> there!
>>>

>> I've only had pantry moths once and that was in an overhead cabinet used
>> only for storing boxes of dry cereal. When examining the boxes after
>> discovering the moths, it was evident that it had been carried in *on*
>> the bottom of a box from the store.
>>
>> I found mealworms in cornmeal once, when I used to store it on the
>> kitchen counter in a cannister. Ever since then I store all meals and
>> flours (except AP flour) in the freezer, especially since much of it
>> isn't used often. The AP flour is in a tightly sealed container in the
>> pantry.
>>

> I have several varieties of flour stored in sealed containers in the
> pantry Wayne. Once I've frozen the container the flour came in for a week
> nothing survives. Mostly what you see is the larvae that has hatched from
> the eggs that are, mostly, in all grains you buy. You should see the list
> of what is allowed in food in this country. So many insect parts, rodent
> hairs, rodent feces, etc. Of course most producers do their best to keep
> things cleaner than the USDA allows so we don't see a lot of it.

Perhaps is you used your goods more often, what're ya savin' it for?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I found mealworms in cornmeal once, when I used to store it on the kitchen
> counter in a cannister.

There are recipes for those you know...

;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> You should see the list of what is allowed in food in this country.
> So many insect parts, rodent hairs, rodent feces, etc. Of course most
> producers do their best to keep things cleaner than the USDA allows
> so we don't see a lot of it.

That's not *totally* a bad thing. (it's a good source of B12 for Vegans
who don't know to take supplements)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 10:46*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> > Kajikit wrote:
> >> I saw one of the little buggers flying around last night and one the
> >> night before (maybe the same one?!) so I had a nasty feeling about our
> >> pantry... when I went to cook a packet of pasta today it was
> >> confirmed. ARGH!!!!!! Two hours later, everything in the pantry was
> >> checked, some really old stuff was discarded, and everything else was
> >> sealed in plastic or glass jars for bug-quarantine. Good thing I've
> >> been saving peanut butter jars for preserving - they were just the
> >> right size to hold small amounts of stuff like ginger and tapioca... I
> >> didn't see any signs of bugs in anything else, so I'm hoping it was
> >> just a bad pack from the supermarket and that the rest of our food is
> >> safe! I bought that packet of pasta at Walmart last week so it hadn't
> >> been sitting around for very long.
> >> That said, how do you deal with pantry moths? What foods DON'T they
> >> like to eat?

> > When I get them, everything goes in the freezer. *(I think they come in
> > in cardboard canisters of oatmeal, I should learn to put that directly
> > in the freezer when I buy it) *The worst was when they got into my dried
> > jalapeņos and ruined them -- about a pound of dried diced pepper.

> > I just recently threw out a bag of masa that wiggled when I opened it.
> > :-P *It had been in the pantry for a few months.

> > Bob

> Living out in the country in way-the-heck-south Texas, we have the
> exterminator every 3 months so I have no problems with pantry critters,
> but one time I reached for the flour canister and there were wigglers in
> the flour. That sack of flour was a store brand. I don't know why I had
> bought the store brand that time and not one of the national brands that
> I normally use. I cleaned everything up and went back to using the
> national brands and have not had any more problems.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.- Hide quoted text -

They arrive usually as eggs stuck in spots on the containers that
contain glue - don't know why they like glue, but they do. I used to
find them in totally empty (otherwise) dishes packed away for storage
in cardboard boxes....

I think they'll go anywhere - I found some in paprika once.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> >
> > You should see the list of what is allowed in food in this country.
> > So many insect parts, rodent hairs, rodent feces, etc. Of course most
> > producers do their best to keep things cleaner than the USDA allows
> > so we don't see a lot of it.

> That's not *totally* a bad thing. (it's a good source of B12 for Vegans
> who don't know to take supplements)
>
> Bob

Ok, that was funny. ;-D
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> They arrive usually as eggs stuck in spots on the containers that
> contain glue - don't know why they like glue, but they do. I used to
> find them in totally empty (otherwise) dishes packed away for storage
> in cardboard boxes....
>
> I think they'll go anywhere - I found some in paprika once.
>
> N.

Yeah. I had to toss a METAL tin of Hungarian Paprika once due to
weevils!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:13:56 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Nancy2 > wrote:
>

>> They arrive usually as eggs stuck in spots on the containers that
>> contain glue - don't know why they like glue, but they do. I used to
>> find them in totally empty (otherwise) dishes packed away for storage
>> in cardboard boxes....
>>
>> I think they'll go anywhere - I found some in paprika once.
>>
>> N.

> Yeah. I had to toss a METAL tin of Hungarian Paprika once due to
> weevils!

them's some high-class weevils.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:13:56 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Nancy2 > wrote:
> >

> >> They arrive usually as eggs stuck in spots on the containers that
> >> contain glue - don't know why they like glue, but they do. I used to
> >> find them in totally empty (otherwise) dishes packed away for storage
> >> in cardboard boxes....
> >>
> >> I think they'll go anywhere - I found some in paprika once.
> >>
> >> N.

> > Yeah. I had to toss a METAL tin of Hungarian Paprika once due to
> > weevils!

> them's some high-class weevils.
>
> your pal,
> blake

They had fangs dude!!!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:16:41 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:13:56 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> In article

>>> Yeah. I had to toss a METAL tin of Hungarian Paprika once due to
>>> weevils!

>> them's some high-class weevils.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> They had fangs dude!!!

quick, make something with garlic!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:16:41 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:

> >> them's some high-class weevils.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > They had fangs dude!!!

> quick, make something with garlic!
>
> your pal,
> blake

<lol> Garlic garlands might actually work!
Hang them around the pantry....
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein