Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moms Biscuits?

My mother used to make biscuits that she dredged in a pie plate with
some Crisco as she settled them into the same pan. I remember her
saying the oil was on the outside instead of inside (I think) they
didn't rise much over the lip of the glass pan. They weren't big and
fluffy obviously but not real dense either.
Anybody here ever do anything like this??
I had a recipes (that has been lost) and would love to duplicate!!
Thanks
Kenneth
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Digger"ha scritto nel messaggio
> My mother used to make biscuits that she dredged in a pie plate with> some
> Crisco as she settled them into the same pan. I remember her> saying the
> oil was on the outside instead of inside (I think) they> didn't rise much
> over the lip of the glass pan. They weren't big and
> fluffy obviously but not real dense either.

The closest thing I know to that description is beaten biscuits from the
deep south. Not exact, however, but Google on that name and see if it rings
bells.

I never cared much for them because they are very crackerlike, but they were
always used with country ham.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:50:00 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>I never cared much for them because they are very crackerlike, but they were
>always used with country ham.

Beaten biscuits are cracker like? I've never eaten one, but for some
reason I thought they were fluffier than what I could make... probably
because of all the hype about how good they are.

Go figger!

Thinking about cracker like takes me directly to pizza crust....

I hate that cracker like pizza crust. It's just like Round Table's
"run it through the oven on a conveyor belt" pizza. I'm disgusted
that normal pizza places would actually make their crusts mimic that
cr*p now. All the more reason to eat at home.

On the positive side, I commented about that to my regular pizza place
when we got a "cracker crust" and the last pizza we got didn't have
that horrible crust. So it pays to speak up.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" ha scritto nel messaggio
, "Giusi" > wrote:

>>I never cared much for them because they are very crackerlike, but they
>>were always used with country ham.
>>

> Beaten biscuits are cracker like? I've never eaten one, but for some>
> reason I thought they were fluffier than what I could make... probably>
> because of all the hype about how good they are.

> I hate that cracker like pizza crust. It's just like Round Table's> "run
> it through the oven on a conveyor belt" pizza. I'm disgusted> that normal
> pizza places would actually make their crusts mimic that
> cr*p now.

There is a market for it, not for me, but others like it. The original
Napolitano has a hefty crust with a big edge, but also good are the
stretchier doughs that bubble up hugely if they aren't overloaded. You need
more heat than a kitchen range to do those very well.

> On the positive side, I commented about that to my regular pizza place>
> when we got a "cracker crust" and the last pizza we got didn't have> that
> horrible crust. So it pays to speak up.

There is a place here that uses piadina for their pizza. To me that makes
it not pizza, but it isn't bad, just not pizza. (Piadina resembles most a
flour tortilla, but comes in sizes from tiny to about 14" diameter.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" > wrote:

>>I never cared much for them because they are very crackerlike, but they
>>were always used with country ham.
>>

> Beaten biscuits are cracker like?

http://www.lockhousemuseum.org/maryl...itsshields.htm

that's the recipe from the area where I knew them, Maryland. I was a docent
at a plantation museum (not this one) that served them at board meetings, as
made by a local black cook whose work was splendid. I still didn't love the
biscuits!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:17:46 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>but also good are the
>stretchier doughs that bubble up hugely if they aren't overloaded. You need
>more heat than a kitchen range to do those very well.

Oh! I LOVE pizza when the crust bubbles like that.

>There is a place here that uses piadina for their pizza. To me that makes
>it not pizza, but it isn't bad, just not pizza. (Piadina resembles most a
>flour tortilla, but comes in sizes from tiny to about 14" diameter.)

(Googling for images) I see what you mean and I probably wouldn't
like it either. We have a premade commercial product called Boboli,
which resembles naan. UGH. I hate that stuff.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:22:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>>
>>>I never cared much for them because they are very crackerlike, but they
>>>were always used with country ham.
>>>

>> Beaten biscuits are cracker like?

>http://www.lockhousemuseum.org/maryl...itsshields.htm
>
>that's the recipe from the area where I knew them, Maryland. I was a docent
>at a plantation museum (not this one) that served them at board meetings, as
>made by a local black cook whose work was splendid. I still didn't love the
>biscuits!

Thanks for the recipe

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 7:46*pm, Digger > wrote:
> My mother used to make biscuits that she dredged in a pie plate with
> some Crisco as she settled them into the same pan. I remember *her
> saying the oil was on the outside instead of inside (I think) they
> didn't rise much over the lip of the glass pan. They weren't big and
> fluffy obviously but not real dense either.
> Anybody here ever do anything like this??
> *I had a recipes (that has been lost) and would love to duplicate!!
> Thanks
> Kenneth

I have a friend who used to do yeast-raised finger rolls like that -
it was a recipe from a yeast company - Fleischmann's. I've never done
biscuits like that - usually, you brush them with cream or milk before
baking, or with melted butter after baking.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 3:05*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:50:00 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
> >I never cared much for them because they are very crackerlike, but they were
> >always used with country ham.

> Beaten biscuits are cracker like? *I've never eaten one, but for some
> reason I thought they were fluffier than what I could make... probably
> because of all the hype about how good they are.
>
> Go figger!
>
> Thinking about cracker like takes me directly to pizza crust....
>
> I hate that cracker like pizza crust. *It's just like Round Table's
> "run it through the oven on a conveyor belt" pizza. *I'm disgusted
> that normal pizza places would actually make their crusts mimic that
> cr*p now. *All the more reason to eat at home.
>
> On the positive side, I commented about that to my regular pizza place
> when we got a "cracker crust" and the last pizza we got didn't have
> that horrible crust. *So it pays to speak up.

I LOVE my super thin pizza crust - never tastes like a cracker if it
has plenty of olive oil underneath it. ;-) The commercial "cracker-
like" crust pizzas taste like cardboard.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 7:46*pm, Digger > wrote:
> My mother used to make biscuits that she dredged in a pie plate with
> some Crisco as she settled them into the same pan. I remember *her
> saying the oil was on the outside instead of inside (I think) they
> didn't rise much over the lip of the glass pan. They weren't big and
> fluffy obviously but not real dense either.
> Anybody here ever do anything like this??
> *I had a recipes (that has been lost) and would love to duplicate!!
> Thanks
> Kenneth

Have you tried it with a regular baking-powder biscuit recipe?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-20, Nancy2 > wrote:

> I LOVE my super thin pizza crust - never tastes like a cracker if it
> has plenty of olive oil underneath it. ;-) The commercial "cracker-
> like" crust pizzas taste like cardboard.

Well, give us your recipe. I love a thin crust pizza.

nb

MULTIPLE MOMS SEE THIS HOT HOT HOT sarwan General Cooking 0 04-06-2008 07:11 AM
Moms Easy Cooking - Fast Meal Ideas For Busy Moms [email protected] General Cooking 0 07-02-2008 01:51 AM
Two Angry Moms aem General Cooking 50 18-10-2007 10:40 PM
Moms b-day dinner Peter[_6_] General Cooking 3 01-06-2007 07:14 AM
Stay Home moms [email protected] General Cooking 0 13-04-2007 05:41 PM