Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Two Angry Moms

A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.
As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
check out the website:
http://www.angrymoms.org/

I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
might be interested. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, aem > said:

> A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
> lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
> film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
> school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.

I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

> As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
> fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
> positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
> check out the website:
> http://www.angrymoms.org/

It's not a bad idea, just sorry it takes a "movement" to get parents
interested in this.

> I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
> but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
> might be interested. -aem

One thing I like about Buddy's school is their "5-Star Smart
Bar", which has unlimited fresh veggies and fresh/canned fruits.
Some days Buddy has no interest in the "lunch" (he hates chicken
nuggets), and just loads up at the "Smart Bar"...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote

> One time on Usenet, aem > said:
>
>> A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
>> lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
>> film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
>> school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.

> I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
> at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
> lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

>> As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
>> fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
>> positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
>> check out the website:
>> http://www.angrymoms.org/

> It's not a bad idea, just sorry it takes a "movement" to get parents
> interested in this.

Are children allowed to bring their lunch to school any more?

>> I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
>> but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
>> might be interested.

I found both Jamie Oliver's and Shaquille O'Neill's (sp) shows
on this subject very interesting. The schools operate on a very
low budget when it comes to buying food.

> One thing I like about Buddy's school is their "5-Star Smart
> Bar", which has unlimited fresh veggies and fresh/canned fruits.
> Some days Buddy has no interest in the "lunch" (he hates chicken
> nuggets), and just loads up at the "Smart Bar"...

That's great. You know a lot of kids just get the chicken nuggets
and fries.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
>> at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
>> lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

My wife did that when she used to be at school as a volunteer. It was just
a place to eat back then, not a function encouraged, but not forbidden
either.

> Are children allowed to bring their lunch to school any more?

Yes, but many parents find it easier to give the kids the $2.43 a day for
them to eat the school food and it relieves them of another responsibity and
chore. Around here, Boar's Head has been advertising that brown bagging is
back in style. They make a good point that you know what your kid is
getting. OTOH, many schools have banned peanut butter, that staple of the
lunch bag.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>> I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
>>> at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
>>> lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

>> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> My wife did that when she used to be at school as a volunteer.

Sure, I could see if she's working there.

> It was just a place to eat back then, not a function encouraged, but not
> forbidden either.

>> Are children allowed to bring their lunch to school any more?

> Yes, but many parents find it easier to give the kids the $2.43 a day for
> them to eat the school food and it relieves them of another responsibity
> and chore. Around here, Boar's Head has been advertising that brown
> bagging is back in style. They make a good point that you know what your
> kid is getting.

I was trying to get a handle on the deal with the two mad moms,
are they stuck with having their children eat cafeteria food?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing or saying that something
shouldn't be done with school cafeteria food, not at all. Not
having children I wasn't sure what the deal was with bringing
lunch to school.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 4:08 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> > My wife did that when she used to be at school as a volunteer.

> Sure, I could see if she's working there.
>
> > It was just a place to eat back then, not a function encouraged, but not
> > forbidden either.
> >> Are children allowed to bring their lunch to school any more?

> > Yes, but many parents find it easier to give the kids the $2.43 a day for
> > them to eat the school food and it relieves them of another responsibity
> > and chore. Around here, Boar's Head has been advertising that brown
> > bagging is back in style. They make a good point that you know what your
> > kid is getting.

> I was trying to get a handle on the deal with the two mad moms,
> are they stuck with having their children eat cafeteria food?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing or saying that something
> shouldn't be done with school cafeteria food, not at all. Not
> having children I wasn't sure what the deal was with bringing
> lunch to school.
>
> nancy

my DD used to beg to be allowed to eat the school lunches. I bullied
my husband into only allowing it once a week. Those days, she would
often come home tired, grumpy, and with a headache. When I'd ask what
she'd had for lunch, she'd tell me a couple of bites of the pizza and
little else. I'd make sure she had a healthy snack of things she'd
eat as soon as she got home.

Now, she won't eat the garbage they serve at school, and grumbles on
the days she forgets to take her lunch with her.

She was also the kid who didn't like chicken nuggets, fried foods, and
most of the other "kid" foods.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:49:44 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Little Malice" > wrote
>
>> One time on Usenet, aem > said:
>>
>>> A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
>>> lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
>>> film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
>>> school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.

>> I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
>> at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
>> lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

>They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

I don't know how common it is, or whether it's a regional thing, but
our local elementary school actively encourages parents to come for
lunch. One or the other or both of us go a couple of times a month,
schedules permitting. The kidlet loves it because we bring a picnic
lunch or take out and she doesn't have to eat school food that day;
but they do allow parents to purchase a lunch from the cafeteria, if
they prefer.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy R." > wrote

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:49:44 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> I don't know how common it is, or whether it's a regional thing, but
> our local elementary school actively encourages parents to come for
> lunch. One or the other or both of us go a couple of times a month,
> schedules permitting. The kidlet loves it because we bring a picnic
> lunch or take out and she doesn't have to eat school food that day;
> but they do allow parents to purchase a lunch from the cafeteria, if
> they prefer.

I understand! I didn't get that they would buy it. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:27:10 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Tracy R." > wrote
>
>> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:49:44 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>>They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

>> I don't know how common it is, or whether it's a regional thing, but
>> our local elementary school actively encourages parents to come for
>> lunch. One or the other or both of us go a couple of times a month,
>> schedules permitting. The kidlet loves it because we bring a picnic
>> lunch or take out and she doesn't have to eat school food that day;
>> but they do allow parents to purchase a lunch from the cafeteria, if
>> they prefer.

>I understand! I didn't get that they would buy it. Thanks.
>
>nancy

Our lunches have to be ordered in advance. No drop ins.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:

> "Tracy R." > wrote
>
> > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:49:44 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> > wrote:

> >>They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> > I don't know how common it is, or whether it's a regional thing, but
> > our local elementary school actively encourages parents to come for
> > lunch. One or the other or both of us go a couple of times a month,
> > schedules permitting. The kidlet loves it because we bring a picnic
> > lunch or take out and she doesn't have to eat school food that day;
> > but they do allow parents to purchase a lunch from the cafeteria, if
> > they prefer.

> I understand! I didn't get that they would buy it. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that. I pay an "adult" price for the
same meal that the kids get. I usually stick to the hamburgers, which
remind of high school... ;-)

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy R." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:49:44 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>> I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
>>> at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
>>> lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

>>They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> I don't know how common it is, or whether it's a regional thing, but
> our local elementary school actively encourages parents to come for
> lunch. One or the other or both of us go a couple of times a month,
> schedules permitting. The kidlet loves it because we bring a picnic
> lunch or take out and she doesn't have to eat school food that day;
> but they do allow parents to purchase a lunch from the cafeteria, if
> they prefer.

I used to do that too but the schools in this district don't allow fast food
to be carried in. I also had a tradition of taking Rachel's class pizza for
lunch on her birthday, but that is nixed here too. Doesn't make any sense
but they don't want the other children to feel left out. Makes no sense to
me since if someone at your table brought a marvelous brown bag lunch and
didn't share it with everyone else, then the children are still not eating
the same thing.

Alas, I guess rules are so popular now thay had to make sure that everything
is as politically correct as possible.

Cindi

> Regards,
> Tracy R.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:38:27 -0700, "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree"
> wrote:

>"Tracy R." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:49:44 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Little Malice" > wrote

>>>They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

>> I don't know how common it is, or whether it's a regional thing, but
>> our local elementary school actively encourages parents to come for
>> lunch. One or the other or both of us go a couple of times a month,
>> schedules permitting. The kidlet loves it because we bring a picnic
>> lunch or take out and she doesn't have to eat school food that day;
>> but they do allow parents to purchase a lunch from the cafeteria, if
>> they prefer.

>I used to do that too but the schools in this district don't allow fast food
>to be carried in. I also had a tradition of taking Rachel's class pizza for
>lunch on her birthday, but that is nixed here too. Doesn't make any sense
>but they don't want the other children to feel left out. Makes no sense to
>me since if someone at your table brought a marvelous brown bag lunch and
>didn't share it with everyone else, then the children are still not eating
>the same thing.
>
>Alas, I guess rules are so popular now thay had to make sure that everything
>is as politically correct as possible.

Tell me about it. At Robyn's school, they even have assigned lunch
seats. Everybody sits with their own class in the seat their teacher
picked for them. They're discouraged from chatting. <sighs> It's not
at all the way school was when I was a kid; we had a lot more freedom
to make choices. At lunch we could sit with anyone: our younger or
older siblings, the neighbor kid, a friend from the previous year who
got put in a different homeroom. I sometimes wonder how these kids are
going to cope when they get out in the "real" world and actually have
to make decisions for themselves. I also question how much
socialization they are actually getting from the experience,
considering how structured their days are, and how narrow and
homogenous a group of kids they are exposed to on a day to day basis.
Add that in with the fact that the academic standards have slipped so
badly, and well, it really makes me long for the old days...

Regards,
Tracy R.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:38:27 -0700, "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree"
> wrote:

>I used to do that too but the schools in this district don't allow fast food
>to be carried in. I also had a tradition of taking Rachel's class pizza for
>lunch on her birthday, but that is nixed here too. Doesn't make any sense
>but they don't want the other children to feel left out. Makes no sense to
>me since if someone at your table brought a marvelous brown bag lunch and
>didn't share it with everyone else, then the children are still not eating
>the same thing.
>
>Alas, I guess rules are so popular now thay had to make sure that everything
>is as politically correct as possible.

Political correctness cr*p, AFAIC. While I've never seen pizza served
to one class exclusively at lunch, but maybe your DD's teacher
wouldn't mind keeping them in the classroom for the occasion?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

Our elementary schools encourage it. Parents can eat with their child
one day a week, and they are always holding special "Grandparents Day"
or "Dad's/Mom's Day" events. Parents and kids can either bring their
lunches to share or buy the school cooked meals. But the cost for the
visiting parent meal is a higher cost than the student meal.
When I go to the schools, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids whose
parents never seem to come
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> Our elementary schools encourage it. Parents can eat with their child one
> day a week, and they are always holding special "Grandparents Day" or
> "Dad's/Mom's Day" events. Parents and kids can either bring their lunches
> to share or buy the school cooked meals.

Cool! I'm sure there was nothing like that when I was a kid,
you didn't see parents in the cafeteria. Of course, that was
ages ago.

> But the cost for the visiting parent meal is a higher cost than the
> student meal.
> When I go to the schools, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids whose
> parents never seem to come

It's tough, some parents aren't interested in it and others just
can't take a day off whenever the school decides to have bring
mom to school day.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Cool! I'm sure there was nothing like that when I was a kid,
> you didn't see parents in the cafeteria. Of course, that was
> ages ago.

Cafetaeria???

We had a lunch room (in the basement) for those who brought a lunch to
school. Most of us went home for lunch. When I started high school there
was a cafeteria but I don't remember anything about the food because I
always brown bagged it. we moved to another city a few months later. The
"cafeteria" was a row of machines that sold chocolate bars, milk, soft
drinks and an assortment of scrawny sandwiches and various pastries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> > Our elementary schools encourage it. Parents can eat with their child one
> > day a week, and they are always holding special "Grandparents Day" or
> > "Dad's/Mom's Day" events. Parents and kids can either bring their lunches
> > to share or buy the school cooked meals.

> Cool! I'm sure there was nothing like that when I was a kid,
> you didn't see parents in the cafeteria. Of course, that was
> ages ago.
>
> > But the cost for the visiting parent meal is a higher cost than the
> > student meal.
> > When I go to the schools, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids whose
> > parents never seem to come

> It's tough, some parents aren't interested in it and others just
> can't take a day off whenever the school decides to have bring
> mom to school day.

This thread brings back fond memories!

I was born in 1961 and from kindergarten through the sixth grade, my
lunches were eaten at home because it was only a five minute walk from
school. My entire school career, including college was in Philadelphia.

I never set foot in the school's cafeteria for lunch when I was in
elementary school, except on special occasions such as holiday parties.
Every day, I would sit at our kitchen table and eat lunch. For some
reason, my sister always ate lunch at school even though we went to the
same school, so it was just me and my mom. My dad was always at work
during lunch. My mom would serve me lunch and sit and ask me how my day
was going. It was the same thing every day. If I ate fast, I might have
time to watch a little TV before walking back to school.

One or two days a year, the school would host a family lunch where each
kid had to order his food a few days in advance. Parents and teachers
would join us for lunch. Lunch was always hot dogs, Philly soft
pretzels, and those little cardboard half pint cartons of milk or
chocolate milk.

I had to bring home an order form for my parents to sign to indicate the
number of hot dogs, cartons of milk, and soft pretzels I wanted. My
parents had to enclose a check or cash to pay. The lunch was very cheap,
even in those days. I always ordered three hot dogs, one pretzel, and
two chocolate milks. Soda was never an option, nor was any kind of juice.

My mom is a kind and sweet person, but she was never much for cooking.
The lunches I ate at home were not healthy. One of my favorite lunches
was a bowl of piping hot Campbell's tomato soup and a Kosher salami
sandwich on rye with a bit of yellow mustard. Sometimes, my mom would
give me left overs from the previous night's dinner, but mostly, mom
served me one of those Swanson TV dinners that came in an aluminum tray,
or she made me a small frozen pizza, or fish sticks with tomato soup.

I went to a Woodrow Wilson Junior High for grades 7, 8, and 9, which was
about a mile from home. I walked to and from school most days, but it
was too far to eat lunch at home. When I got to high school, I went to
Northeast High School and I had to walk a few blocks further from home
to get there. So from the 7th to 12th grades, I ate lunch at school.

The cafeteria in Wilson schools served mostly junk food. The closest
thing to a healthy menu item was apples. Each day of the week was a
different main course. For example, I think Monday was cheeseburger and
french fries day, Thursday was shepherd's pie day, and I am pretty sure
Friday was French bread pizza day. One day a week was chicken nuggets
and fries day.

When I got to Northeast High School, the cafeteria had a featured menu
item too each day, but there were other choices. Some were healthy (such
as a green salad), but the featured items were the same junk food as in
Wilson Jr. High. There was a Burger King across the street, where many
of my classmates would eat lunch, even though it was against the rules
to leave school property for lunch. There was also a pizza place and a
convenience store. I don't think I ever want to the pizza place or
Burger King for lunch, but I did go to the store once in a while. A lot
of kids would get their lunches from the pizza place or BK and just
bring their food back to the cafeteria to eat.

All through school, I had a great paying job on weekends working for my
dad, so that was much lunch money most days. Once in a wile, I would
bring a sandwich from home, but that was unusual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:20:11 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

>> Our elementary schools encourage it. Parents can eat with their child one
>> day a week, and they are always holding special "Grandparents Day" or
>> "Dad's/Mom's Day" events. Parents and kids can either bring their lunches
>> to share or buy the school cooked meals.

>Cool! I'm sure there was nothing like that when I was a kid,
>you didn't see parents in the cafeteria. Of course, that was
>ages ago.
>
>> But the cost for the visiting parent meal is a higher cost than the
>> student meal.
>> When I go to the schools, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids whose
>> parents never seem to come

>It's tough, some parents aren't interested in it and others just
>can't take a day off whenever the school decides to have bring
>mom to school day.
>
>nancy

By the time I was in high school, you didn't see too many kids in the
cafeteria. We all went out for lunch. You made friends with someone
who had a car and off you went. My senior year we had moved and the
first half I went home since I lived 1 door from the high school. They
finished the new cafeteria and we all had to stay there. A group of
us started bringing our lunch since we did not like what was served.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> Our elementary schools encourage it. Parents can eat with their child
> one day a week, and they are always holding special "Grandparents Day"
> or "Dad's/Mom's Day" events. Parents and kids can either bring their
> lunches to share or buy the school cooked meals. But the cost for the
> visiting parent meal is a higher cost than the student meal.
> When I go to the schools, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids whose
> parents never seem to come

Interesting.

There are no school lunches of the type found in the US or UK, in New
Zealand schools. "Smart lunches" (good, nutritious food -- sandwiches,
fruit etc) are available for $2/day if the kids want them, but bringing
your own lunch is _far_ more common, to the point where almost every kid
does.

Parents are welcome to come to the school at any time, whether it's to
have lunch with their child, help out in the classroom or whatever.
There's no rule like "one day a week" or similar -- parents show up as
little or as often as they can and/or want to.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

> Our elementary schools encourage it. Parents can eat with their child
> one day a week, and they are always holding special "Grandparents Day"
> or "Dad's/Mom's Day" events. Parents and kids can either bring their
> lunches to share or buy the school cooked meals. But the cost for the
> visiting parent meal is a higher cost than the student meal.
> When I go to the schools, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids whose
> parents never seem to come

This summer my son went to a day camp and on Fridays they did a
performance. This was the highlight of my week. I came for the
performance and brought lunch for us to share. He was so excited to
have me there and wanted me to sit with him and his friends. The
friends were also happy to have a mom to talk to as well.

I felt bad for the kids that didn't have parents come or stay for lunch,
but I know not all could get away like that.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:
> "Little Malice" > wrote
> > One time on Usenet, aem > said:
> >
> >> A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
> >> lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
> >> film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
> >> school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.

> > I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
> > at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
> > lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

> They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

The principal has told us many times that parents are welcome for
assemblys, lunch, field trips, whatever. (Although for the field
trips you have to fill out a volunteer form and get your background
checked every year.) I hope there are many more schools that
encourage the same sort of parent-kid-school interaction, no
matter their size.

> >> As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
> >> fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
> >> positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
> >> check out the website:
> >> http://www.angrymoms.org/

> > It's not a bad idea, just sorry it takes a "movement" to get parents
> > interested in this.

> Are children allowed to bring their lunch to school any more?

Yes, but for some people a hot school lunch is more ideal. We do
both, depending on what they're offering that month.

> >> I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
> >> but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
> >> might be interested.

> I found both Jamie Oliver's and Shaquille O'Neill's (sp) shows
> on this subject very interesting. The schools operate on a very
> low budget when it comes to buying food.

Too true. A friend of mine works in a local school kitchen. The kids
seem very fond of her and she makes them pies from scratch. But I know
her boss gets frustrated at the lack of funds.

> > One thing I like about Buddy's school is their "5-Star Smart
> > Bar", which has unlimited fresh veggies and fresh/canned fruits.
> > Some days Buddy has no interest in the "lunch" (he hates chicken
> > nuggets), and just loads up at the "Smart Bar"...

> That's great.

He's strange that way -- doesn't like a lot of fats/oils in his
food. He rarely uses butter, hates mayo, etc. Drinks a lot of water.
His weakness, like his mother, baked goodies.

> You know a lot of kids just get the chicken nuggets
> and fries.

In sitting at the kids' tables, I get to see a lot of what
they're eating. Most of the hot-lunchers do take fruits and
veggies, especially the salad, which is available every day,
and the little packs of carrots. I'm surprised, but glad.

Sadly, many of the homemade lunches are the worst. Kids bringing
a sandwich, great, but also sugared sodas, cookies, candy, sweet
rolls (Hostess or Little Debbie), all in one lunch! They can't
get that stuff at school, except for special occasions...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
> at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
> lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.

Don't you just want to "help" all those little kindergarten cherubs
carry their big trays. They all look about 2 seconds from disaster, yet
precious and so "grown up" carrying their lunch trays to the table. I
just hold my breath.
Once a little boy dropped his tray and he just bawled.. broke my heart!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:39:18 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Once a little boy dropped his tray and he just bawled.. broke my heart!

They gave him another lunch, didn't they?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:39:18 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>> Once a little boy dropped his tray and he just bawled.. broke my heart!

> They gave him another lunch, didn't they?

Ohyeah, I'm sure they did. It was just his little face crumbling and the
sobs were so pitiful. I hope he didn't fear getting in trouble for it or
something...?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:20:37 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:39:18 -0400, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Once a little boy dropped his tray and he just bawled.. broke my heart!

>> They gave him another lunch, didn't they?
>>

>Ohyeah, I'm sure they did. It was just his little face crumbling and the
>sobs were so pitiful. I hope he didn't fear getting in trouble for it or
>something...?

Usually they are upset with themselves.... embarrassed.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> > I think it's a shame that they need to encourage parents to eat lunch
> > at school. I usually so that with Buddy 4-5 times per year. Going to
> > lunch with small kids makes you feel very tall.
> >

> Don't you just want to "help" all those little kindergarten cherubs
> carry their big trays. They all look about 2 seconds from disaster, yet
> precious and so "grown up" carrying their lunch trays to the table. I
> just hold my breath.
> Once a little boy dropped his tray and he just bawled.. broke my heart!

Oh my! How sweet. :-) I loved it when Buddy was in elementary; one of
the little girls always called me "Buddy's Mom". Of course his name is
not actually"Buddy" -- it's what we call him at home...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
> lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
> film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
> school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.
> As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
> fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
> positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
> check out the website:
> http://www.angrymoms.org/
>
> I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
> but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
> might be interested. -aem

I've eaten lunch with kidlet at times at elementary school and it is
always an experience. I love those days. I would like to see more of the
cooked food that I grew up with instead of the "pizza, burgers,
chicken nugget" type meals schools seem to do now. In the film
"Supersize Me" the host highlighted some schools that do a turn-around
to make lunches healthier and I would love to see that more common.
Jaime Oliver has pushed for this in the UK also.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> aem wrote:
>> A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
>> lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
>> film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
>> school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.
>> As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
>> fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
>> positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day
>> might check out the website:
>> http://www.angrymoms.org/
>>
>> I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
>> but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
>> might be interested. -aem
>>

> I've eaten lunch with kidlet at times at elementary school and it is
> always an experience. I love those days. I would like to see more of
> the cooked food that I grew up with instead of the "pizza, burgers,
> chicken nugget" type meals schools seem to do now.

30+ years ago many, I won't say *most*, but the one I went to was already
serving from frozen slices of cardboard "cheese" pizza, lame hamburgers, hot
dogs using the cheapest possible red-dyed wieners and chicken nuggets and
fries. Oh, and the occasional "salisbury steak" with instant mashed
potatoes thrown in. (I don't know for sure, but it was probably the same
fare being served to kids in elementary or middle school.) Milk, chocolate
milk, juice.

In Jr. High - uh, middle school - they also had vending machines which
carried nothing but chips and sweets and soda machines

I don't have kids. I do think it's silly to not allow parents to eat with
their kids once in a while. I also think it's silly to make children only
sit with their classmates rather than co-mingle with other students. How
else are they to learn about other people and social structure in general if
they are so strictly controlled?

I most *definitely* think the food quality needs to step up. I understand
budget limitations. But the food doesn't have to suck. I suspect the
school districts pay out more in contracts to these cheezy frozen food
vendors than they would if they were allowed to contract with local growers
and meat providers. Of course, that would mean paying the "cafeteria
ladies" more for knowing how to do something other than just heat up frozen
stuff and keep it warm under heat lamps or on a steam table. Catch-22.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
> lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
> film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
> school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.
> As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
> fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
> positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
> check out the website:
> http://www.angrymoms.org/
>
> I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
> but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
> might be interested. -aem

That's good! When I was teaching I often ate the school cafeteria food.
They have low budgets but seems as though they could do better.

The morning news programmes locally list the APS school lunches for the
day. They try to balance the nutrition but some of the meals are
appalling! Still high-fat/high-salt and pizza appears nearly every week
or 10 days. Have yet to see fish on the menu; yet fish fingers/fish
sticks appeared regularly on London school menus so it can be done large
scale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What I'm more familiar with is DAMM, Drunks Against Mad Mothers. Some
mother, at her wits end trying to manage the brats she popped out,
turns around to scold one of them, runs off the road, and plows down
an innocent drunk, stumbling down the sidewalk, his 40oz or 375ml
politely sheathed in a paper bag.
Seriously though, Mrs. Minivan (or Mr. Businessman), with cell phone
pressed against ear, is as dangerous as a drunk driver, or possibly
more dangerous.
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-6090342-7.html

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>(aem) wrote:
>A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality
>of school lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week
>the producers of that film are trying to coordinate a
>national 'eat lunch at your kid's school' day to motivate
>folks to join efforts to improve school food. As far
>as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular
>diets or fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition
>and anti-junk positions.

*********
They should have raised this issue on school lunches decades ago.

All through my school years - 1960-1973-
we were served high fat/sodium tasteless crap mainly cheeseburgers/pizza
burgers/canned buttered veg.'s/white bread that laid the foundation for
poor nutrition in the years to come.

I did lurk in to my old high school's web site & check out the lunch
menu among other things and yes the lunches have gone even more down
hill with typical lunch consisting of deep fried chicken nuggets with
dipping sauce/fries/milk/animal crackers for dessert.

Always felt the united states school lunches were and probably will
continue to be a disgrace.

Bush: The best president Mexico had.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 6:54 pm, (ms. tonya) wrote:
> >(aem) wrote:
> >A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality
> >of school lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week
> >the producers of that film are trying to coordinate a
> >national 'eat lunch at your kid's school' day to motivate
> >folks to join efforts to improve school food. As far
> >as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular
> >diets or fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition
> >and anti-junk positions.

> They should have raised this issue on school lunches decades ago.
>
> All through my school years - 1960-1973-
> we were served high fat/sodium tasteless crap mainly cheeseburgers/pizza
> burgers/canned buttered veg.'s/white bread that laid the foundation for
> poor nutrition in the years to come.
>
> I did lurk in to my old high school's web site & check out the lunch
> menu among other things and yes the lunches have gone even more down
> hill with typical lunch consisting of deep fried chicken nuggets with
> dipping sauce/fries/milk/animal crackers for dessert.
>
> Always felt the united states school lunches were and probably will
> continue to be a disgrace.
>
> Bush: The best president Mexico had.

I just sent the following in an email to one of the officers of the
PTO at my kindergartener's elementary school:
________________________________
Do the pizzas on the school lunch menu contain hydrogenated oils? Do
any of the items served contain hydrogenated oils? As a parent, I'd
like to know. The only info I could find from a web search say that
the Tony's Smart Pizzas are indeed made with that stuff.

I'm a new parent at Captain, and want to be a positive, contributing
person, and not annoying, but even the rather conservative federal
govt has admitted that there are no safe levels of consumption of
hydrogenated fats. I want to look into this, but don't know how. Any
ideas?

Is this a question that could be addressed by the PTO?
__________________________________

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 13, 6:54 pm, (ms. tonya) wrote:
>> >(aem) wrote:
>> >A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality
>> >of school lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week
>> >the producers of that film are trying to coordinate a
>> >national 'eat lunch at your kid's school' day to motivate
>> >folks to join efforts to improve school food. As far
>> >as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular
>> >diets or fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition
>> >and anti-junk positions.

>> They should have raised this issue on school lunches decades ago.
>>
>> All through my school years - 1960-1973-
>> we were served high fat/sodium tasteless crap mainly cheeseburgers/pizza
>> burgers/canned buttered veg.'s/white bread that laid the foundation for
>> poor nutrition in the years to come.
>>
>> I did lurk in to my old high school's web site & check out the lunch
>> menu among other things and yes the lunches have gone even more down
>> hill with typical lunch consisting of deep fried chicken nuggets with
>> dipping sauce/fries/milk/animal crackers for dessert.
>>
>> Always felt the united states school lunches were and probably will
>> continue to be a disgrace.
>>
>> Bush: The best president Mexico had.

> I just sent the following in an email to one of the officers of the
> PTO at my kindergartener's elementary school:
> ________________________________
> Do the pizzas on the school lunch menu contain hydrogenated oils? Do
> any of the items served contain hydrogenated oils? As a parent, I'd
> like to know. The only info I could find from a web search say that
> the Tony's Smart Pizzas are indeed made with that stuff.
>
> I'm a new parent at Captain, and want to be a positive, contributing
> person, and not annoying, but even the rather conservative federal
> govt has admitted that there are no safe levels of consumption of
> hydrogenated fats. I want to look into this, but don't know how. Any
> ideas?
>
> Is this a question that could be addressed by the PTO?
> __________________________________
>

> --Bryan

Not the PTO, but the food supervisor in the school district's main office.
They are the ones who sign off on the order sheets for all the schools in
the district. If you have a complaint about them, your next step would be a
school board meeting.
-ginny
(my mommy useta be a lunch lady)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:12:06 -0700, aem > wrote:

>A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
>lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
>film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
>school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.

It's a worthwhile cause. Breakfasts and lunches at my school have
gone steadily downhill and now they are quite poor. Many of our
students eat both breakfast and lunch at school. Poor school meals
affect the whole school, even those students who do not eat cafeteria
food. I can teach my whole class much more successfully if everyone
is well fed.

Tara

Moms Biscuits? Digger General Cooking 10 20-08-2009 05:43 PM
MULTIPLE MOMS SEE THIS HOT HOT HOT sarwan General Cooking 0 04-06-2008 07:11 AM
Moms Easy Cooking - Fast Meal Ideas For Busy Moms [email protected] General Cooking 0 07-02-2008 01:51 AM
Moms b-day dinner Peter[_6_] General Cooking 3 01-06-2007 07:14 AM
My Moms Macaroni & Cheese Tim Recipes 8 03-08-2005 08:33 AM