Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Default Stinky Fish Fried Rice

I was disappointed by these dried salted fish. They were not
fermented like I expected. They just tasted kinda musty.

Here's a picture of one of the fish with some of the other
ingredients:

http://i32.tinypic.com/mbolc9.jpg
(There were two fish rather than 1 in this package for ~$16)

I didn't know how to shred the fish - it's pretty leathery. So I
just ripped off the skin, ripped out as many bones as possible and
shaved the fillets with my santoku. I used marinated chicken, green
onions, fresh carrot, and a little bit of fresh (not frozen) shrimp
in small slices. Garlic, frozen peas and some stray corn. Soy and
oyster sauce were the only sauces I used, and all that was in the
marinade.

It was still pretty tasty, but not fishy, and disappointingly not
pungent at all:

http://i25.tinypic.com/sy2t7q.jpg

This is what I've used in the past, and what I'll continue using
from now on. This stuff has the stink and pungency I was looking
for in the salted fish:

http://i29.tinypic.com/icrayh.jpg

My previous jar, with a piece at it's side, and the resulting dish:
http://i32.tinypic.com/rarh46.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/r8gmdc.jpg

Leftovers for breakfast. Then to the dentist. He oughta appreciate
that ;-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I was disappointed by these dried salted fish. They were not
> fermented like I expected. They just tasted kinda musty.
>
> Here's a picture of one of the fish with some of the other
> ingredients:
>
> http://i32.tinypic.com/mbolc9.jpg
> (There were two fish rather than 1 in this package for ~$16)
>
> I didn't know how to shred the fish - it's pretty leathery. So I
> just ripped off the skin, ripped out as many bones as possible and
> shaved the fillets with my santoku. I used marinated chicken, green
> onions, fresh carrot, and a little bit of fresh (not frozen) shrimp
> in small slices. Garlic, frozen peas and some stray corn. Soy and
> oyster sauce were the only sauces I used, and all that was in the
> marinade.
>
> It was still pretty tasty, but not fishy, and disappointingly not
> pungent at all:
>
> http://i25.tinypic.com/sy2t7q.jpg
>
> This is what I've used in the past, and what I'll continue using
> from now on. This stuff has the stink and pungency I was looking
> for in the salted fish:
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/icrayh.jpg
>
> My previous jar, with a piece at it's side, and the resulting dish:
> http://i32.tinypic.com/rarh46.jpg
> http://i29.tinypic.com/r8gmdc.jpg

Looks tasty. My mom always loved the jarred herring. I've never tried it.

> Leftovers for breakfast. Then to the dentist. He oughta appreciate
> that ;-)
>
> -sw

Gargle with baking soda. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:38:01 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> Looks tasty. My mom always loved the jarred herring. I've never tried it.

<snork> I don't think you Mom ate *this* kind of jarred herring.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What cuisine is this fried rice?

On Aug 16, 8:20*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I was disappointed by these dried salted fish. *They were not
> fermented like I expected. *They just tasted kinda musty.
>
> Here's a picture of one of the fish with some of the other
> ingredients:
>
> http://i32.tinypic.com/mbolc9.jpg
> (There were two fish rather than 1 in this package for ~$16)
>
> I didn't know how to shred the fish - it's pretty leathery. *So I
> just ripped off the skin, ripped out as many bones as possible and
> shaved the fillets with my santoku. *I used marinated chicken, green
> onions, fresh carrot, and a little bit of fresh (not frozen) shrimp
> in small slices. *Garlic, frozen peas and some stray corn. *Soy and
> oyster sauce were the only sauces I used, and all that was in the
> marinade.
>
> It was still pretty tasty, but not fishy, and disappointingly not
> pungent at all:
>
> http://i25.tinypic.com/sy2t7q.jpg
>
> This is what I've used in the past, and what I'll continue using
> from now on. *This stuff has the stink and pungency I was looking
> for in the salted fish:
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/icrayh.jpg
>
> My previous jar, with a piece at it's side, and the resulting dish:http://i32.tinypic.com/rarh46.jpghtt...com/r8gmdc.jpg
>
> Leftovers for breakfast. *Then to the dentist. *He oughta appreciate
> that ;-)
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

In Thailand they make Kao Kluk Kapi - fried rice with shrimp paste - Kapi.
Perhaps a dash of this along with your stinky fish would bring out the
flavour you are looking for?