Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Stinky Fish and Chicken Fried Rice

This is a Cantonese specialty often seen on menus as "Salted Fish
and Chicken Fried Rice" or "Chicken and Anchovy Fried Rice". If
there are red ducks hanging in the window then they will probably
have this dish.

I use cubed and lightly marinated chicken breast (light soy,
Shaohsing(sp?) wine, fish sauce), ginger, garlic, peas, shredded
lettuce, and green onion. Shredded or julienne chicken is also
common.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7527/salted3.jpg

The rice should be day-old rice from the fridge or you can lightly
dry fresh cooked rice in a low oven for 20 minutes followed by
freezing it, which is what I did this afternoon. Takes about an
hour to get the rice ready using this technique.

The fish - the most important ingredient - is usually dried salted
fish but the quality, price, longevity, and availability of those
can vary. They taste musty to me. And they're hard to work with.

I prefer the more potent dried mackerel which has been preserved in
oil. It runs about $4/bottle. Each "steak" weighs about 2 ounces.
They are softer and easier to incorporate into most dishes. I will
use 1.5 of these in my dish.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7417/salted2.jpg

These are de-spined and skinned then flaked/mashed and added to the
hot oil along with the ginger and garlic. There should be no large
pieces - the hot oil will help separate them into small bits. Open
a SCREENED window or door. Without a screen you will be making
FLIED rice - this stuff really stinks and attracts flies.

Proceed as for any fried rice recipe, adding the lettuce after the
heat is turned off and just before serving so it's wilted but not
cooked too badly. Top with optional chiles for color and flavor.
Serve with some home made shrimp egg rolls and some Mae Ploy for
dipping (with added sriracha and rice vinegar).

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6720/salted1.jpg

This is almost always the most expensive fried rice dish on the
menus that feature it; $11-$12 compared to the standard pork fried
rice at $7. This costs me about $2 to make at home.

Any questions, just ask. Enjoy.

[I can't really see these photos because of the computer I'm using
but I'll assume they turned out unless somebody says otherwise]

-sw
Member

If she has a window to look out, she will probably not care for any companions. Cats sleep a great deal of the time anyway. But a companion can work out great, as they with play with and play off each other.
Banned

Food.com - Thousands Of Free Recipes From Home Chefs With Recipe Ratings, Reviews And Tips is the best site for fried rice, they have tons of free fried rice recipes with ratings and reviews...plus pictures.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muna be View Post
Food.com - Thousands Of Free Recipes From Home Chefs With Recipe Ratings, Reviews And Tips is the best site for fried rice, they have tons of free fried rice recipes with ratings and reviews...plus pictures.
Thanks for sharing this information!
Member

Good one. I made pork and my girl friend didn't liked it and I tried couple times and that went bad. Chicken friend rice came out in a better way and now I became a pro in making chicken friend rice.
Hotels Cyprus