Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hamburger

Ophelia wrote:
> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and what
> do you mix it with, if anything?

I prefer to grind my own. That way I can be sure of what is in the mix,
control the fat content, and adjust the flavor for the usage. For
grilled hamburgers served on a bun or roll, I like to use the best cuts
of meat I can find in the shops with about a 10%-15% fat content. Just
enough for flavor but not enough to block up our arteries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> You can't get Gulden's mustard but you get "questionably" "best cuts" of
> meat??

Yes, in fact the beef is quite good, the chicken almost all free range, etc.

> What do you buy? Mice? Rat?

That is probably sold in the street markets, and one of the reasons we
grind our own meats. *grin* I prefer nice cuts of good beef.

> Why could you care about a brand name mustard?

Because I like the flavor of that mustard. There are other very nice
brands available here, such as Maille (in l'Ancienne, l'Americain, and
Dejon,) and Pommery Moutarde de Meaux, as well as quite a few other
European brands. I happen to like the flavor of Gulden's.

You display a remarkable lack of world knowledge. Do you live in the US?
If so, I know that you can purchase many different types of cigars in
your home city. Can you purchase Cuban cigars? No. Can you order them in
over the Internet? No. If you try to bring them into the US from Europe
and a Customs officer sees them in your suitcase, will he allow them to
be brought into your county? No. I didn't think so. It's a very big
world out there, Andy. It's time to become aware of it.

> Like others have asked, what country are you from?

I doubt you could find it on a map. It would require some knowledge of
the world outside the US. Just out of curiosity, this is not where I'm
living now, but have you any idea where Surinam is? Do you even know the
continent it's on? How about Aland? Do you know where that is? Perhaps
you are familiar with Kiribati or Lesotho? Do you know ANYPLACE? Let
me make it easier for you. How about Brunei? It's one of the richest
countries in the world, and you can't even point to it on a map! Andy,
did you go to school?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> MtnTraveler said...
>
>> It's a very big world out there, Andy. It's time to become aware of it.

> How narrow minded can you be?!?

Wide enough to know the locations of those countries. Did you?

> I've been all around the world a few times.

But didn't know where Surinam was, did you. Or Brunei.

Touched down in some pretty
> unpleasant places and smoked a bunch of Cuban cigars.

Not in the US. They can't be brought into the United States. Unless, of
course, you were breaking the law.

> You're a WAY too defensive bullshit artist for my taste.

Great. That means you won't bother to respond to my posts to other
people. ) Stick with what you actually know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use
>> and what do you mix it with, if anything?

> I buy a good slice of lean beef and then ask for it to be ground,

I'll sometimes do that in locales where I can watch the butcher at all
times, and the shop looks clean. Not every place maintains the same
sanitary conditions, or needs to follow health codes. Some restaurants
actually have signs that read "Clean Food," (and they don't mean Halal!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and what
do you mix it with, if anything?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MtnTraveler said...

> I prefer to grind my own. That way I can be sure of what is in the mix,
> control the fat content, and adjust the flavor for the usage. For
> grilled hamburgers served on a bun or roll, I like to use the best cuts
> of meat I can find in the shops with about a 10%-15% fat content. Just
> enough for flavor but not enough to block up our arteries.

You can't get Gulden's mustard but you get "questionably" "best cuts" of
meat??

What do you buy? Mice? Rat? Why could you care about a brand name mustard?

You're just a jerk off. Like others have asked, what country are you from?

When do you go back to 3rd grade?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> From: "Mike.. . ." >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>
> you better hadnt speak about rubbish like hamburgers in my group!
>
> --
> Mike... . . . .
> Spanish food "http://www.fell-******.co.uk/espania.htm"

You fishing for fags? Sick ****!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 10 Aug 2009 03:24:30a, Ophelia told us...

> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
> what do you mix it with, if anything?

There is one butcher shop near me and one local supermarket chain where I
trust what I'm buying because it is ground in their stores daily. If I must
buy beef from another source, I prefer to grind it myself as their ground
meat is shipped in.

I prefer 80% lean for making hamburgers for cooking on the gas grill, as it
provides more flavor and juciness. Otherwise, for cooking in recipes, I
prefer 90-96% lean.

I don't mix anything into the meat for hamburgers.

--
Wayne Boatwright
The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 5:44*am, MtnTraveler > wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
> > Does everyone buy ready made? *If not, what kind of beef do you use and what
> > do you mix it with, if anything?

> I prefer to grind my own. That way I can be sure of what is in the mix,
> control the fat content, and adjust the flavor for the usage. For
> grilled hamburgers served on a bun or roll, I like to use the best cuts
> of meat I can find in the shops with about a 10%-15% fat content. Just
> enough for flavor but not enough to block up our arteries.

And you are more certain to get the beef from exactly one cow too! Not
like the generic homogenous combination of 1000's of cows that come
out of one of those huge factory meat processing plants, where they
march cattle into one end and out pops millions of "meat patties" from
the other!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Mon 10 Aug 2009 03:24:30a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
>> what do you mix it with, if anything?

> There is one butcher shop near me and one local supermarket chain where I
> trust what I'm buying because it is ground in their stores daily. If I
> must
> buy beef from another source, I prefer to grind it myself as their ground
> meat is shipped in.
>
> I prefer 80% lean for making hamburgers for cooking on the gas grill, as
> it
> provides more flavor and juciness. Otherwise, for cooking in recipes, I
> prefer 90-96% lean.
>
> I don't mix anything into the meat for hamburgers.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

The meat market on Lady's Island (where I bought the shrimp sausage) had a
sign-up sheet to be sent sales flyers, etc. Since everyone these days asks
for an email address (even the doctors office!) I jotted it down without
giving it a thought. The very next day I got a chatty little email from
them asking "What's in their ground beef?" (They practically called the
stuff you get at the grocery store "mystery meat"which immediately made me
think of Sheldon LOL) The email went on to say their own freshly ground
chuck is exactly that, ground chuck roast with added beef trimmings (fat).
Their ground round is made from top round, again with fat added as needed.

I don't know about other countries but the USDA does specify a certain
percentage of fat depending on how the ground beef is labelled. I couldn't
tell you off the top of my head what those percentages are. I think it's
80/20 for ground chuck, 90/10 for ground round. Something like that. So
that would be a guideline of sorts for the OP for grinding your own
hamburger. I can't be bothered. I don't use a lot of ground beef (or even
ground sausage).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 10, 6:24*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Mon 10 Aug 2009 03:24:30a, Ophelia told us...
>
> > Does everyone buy ready made? *If not, what kind of beef do you use and
> > what do you mix it with, if anything?

The "Diet Lean" from Shop'n Save is very good. I am anything but fat
phobic. I just like leaner beef. I recently bought a grinder, and I
grind chuck roast when it is on sale.

> I don't mix anything into the meat for hamburgers.

Me neither, but if I were to mix in anything, it would be butter, and
only butter. I might buy some bottom round one of these days, trim
almost all the fat, then mix a little butter. That sounds good.
Maybe I'll try it next time the round is cheap.

We're leaving town for the week. Going to Eureka Springs again. No
cooking, but we're going to three really good restaurants, and one
taqueria:
http://www.ermilios.com/
http://www.eureka-springs-usa.com/devito/
http://crystaldiningroom.com/

> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * *The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the * *
> * * * * * * * * * * * steak to cook. *Julia Child * * * * * * * * * * *

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MtnTraveler said...

> It's a very big world out there, Andy. It's time to become aware of it.

How narrow minded can you be?!?

I've been all around the world a few times. Touched down in some pretty
unpleasant places and smoked a bunch of Cuban cigars. I wouldn't know a good
one but I can tell the real from fakes.

You're a WAY too defensive bullshit artist for my taste.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use
> and what do you mix it with, if anything?

I buy a good slice of lean beef and then ask for it to be ground, then I
search some fat to balance and give taste to it. My ratios for the mix are
about 90 - 95% lean beef and 5 - 10% some fat (*), and I don't add spices or
herbs or salt.

(*) the fat can come in many forms, such as pork seasoned lard or a fat cut
from the cow's belly, or a shredded sausage (just pork meat, pork fat, salt
and ground black pepper, not the "italian sausages" one finds in the USA).
I seldom mix in some finely minced rosemary or garlic.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" said...

> Now and then I'll make a pocket in the center
> of the patty and put in a chunk of blue cheese.

I do that occasionally, before forming, I'll stab the wad with my thumb,
add my taste of Cholula hot sauce and then form into a burger. I used to
drown it while cooking in Worcheshire sauce until gout.

I don't see much sense in not doctoring up hamburger meat. After all when
it's off the grill (stove, whatever) it's going to get dressed with
pickles, lettuce, tomato, etc., etc.

I don't see the harm in helping out what is now more than ever, flavorless
ground beef?

Now ground buffalo I leave alone. I don't even dress it after cooking. It's
flavor is just fine on it's own.

Imho,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and what
> do you mix it with, if anything?

I occasionally buy ready made burgers from my butcher. He sells the
patties vacuum packed and frozen. Usually I make my own with a mixture
of ground beef and pork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:56:41 -0500, Andy wrote:

> MtnTraveler said...
>
>> I prefer to grind my own. That way I can be sure of what is in the mix,
>> control the fat content, and adjust the flavor for the usage. For
>> grilled hamburgers served on a bun or roll, I like to use the best cuts
>> of meat I can find in the shops with about a 10%-15% fat content. Just
>> enough for flavor but not enough to block up our arteries.

> You can't get Gulden's mustard but you get "questionably" "best cuts" of
> meat??
>
> What do you buy? Mice? Rat? Why could you care about a brand name mustard?
>
> You're just a jerk off. Like others have asked, what country are you from?
>
> When do you go back to 3rd grade?
>
> Andy

tequila for breakfast again i see.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu said...

> I like the 10% fat content, to it ( 1 lb.ground beef ) I add in a food
> processor (1 jalapeno, 1 egg, salt & pepper to taste, and panko bread
> crumbs) make the patties then BBQ.

If I'm going to grind my own, I'll grind up rib eye steak. It's great ground
with large then small grind plates. The fat of the rib eye is adequate. maybe
85/15, I'm only guessing. I can't remember a tastier burger.

That's the big spender in me when I'm feeling generous.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:14:14 -0500, Andy wrote:

>> From: "Mike.. . ." >
>> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>>
>> you better hadnt speak about rubbish like hamburgers in my group!
>>
>> --
>> Mike... . . . .
>> Spanish food "http://www.fell-******.co.uk/espania.htm"

> You fishing for fags? Sick ****!
>
> Andy

well, andy, not everyone can have admirable mental health the way you do.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MtnTraveler said...

> Touched down in some pretty
>> unpleasant places and smoked a bunch of Cuban cigars.

> Not in the US. They can't be brought into the United States. Unless, of
> course, you were breaking the law.

Try to think, be very careful, how could I be smoking a Cuban cigar and not
be breaking US law?

FIDIOT.

<PLONK>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

>> MtnTraveler said...
>>
>>> I prefer to grind my own. That way I can be sure of what is in the mix,
>>> control the fat content, and adjust the flavor for the usage. For
>>> grilled hamburgers served on a bun or roll, I like to use the best cuts
>>> of meat I can find in the shops with about a 10%-15% fat content. Just
>>> enough for flavor but not enough to block up our arteries.

>> You can't get Gulden's mustard but you get "questionably" "best cuts" of
>> meat??
>>
>> What do you buy? Mice? Rat? Why could you care about a brand name
>> mustard?
>>
>> You're just a jerk off. Like others have asked, what country are you
>> from?
>>
>> When do you go back to 3rd grade?
>>
>> Andy

> tequila for breakfast again i see.

I'm kind of enjoying the exchange between the two of them. MtnTraveler is
clearly a troll, and Andy is taking him seriously. It's a bit like watching
two blind boxers.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> MtnTraveler said...
>
>> Touched down in some pretty
>>> unpleasant places and smoked a bunch of Cuban cigars.

>> Not in the US. They can't be brought into the United States. Unless, of
>> course, you were breaking the law.

> Try to think, be very careful, how could I be smoking a Cuban cigar and
> not
> be breaking US law?

By smoking it in Mexico... or Canada... or any other country where it isn't
illegal.

I have a lot of cruise customers who enjoy smoking Cuban cigars during their
cruise. I've even seen some "cigar parties" held on the last night of a
cruise before the ship gets back to the US.

George L <--- quit smoking over 20 years ago

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> I like the 10% fat content, to it ( 1 lb.ground beef ) I add in a food
> processor (1 jalapeno, 1 egg, salt & pepper to taste, and panko bread
> crumbs) make the patties then BBQ.

Barbecued meatloaf patties, in other words.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MtnTraveler wrote:

>> I buy a good slice of lean beef and then ask for it to be ground,

> I'll sometimes do that in locales where I can watch the butcher at all
> times, and the shop looks clean. Not every place maintains the same
> sanitary conditions, or needs to follow health codes. Some restaurants
> actually have signs that read "Clean Food," (and they don't mean
> Halal!)

Very true, in some supermarkets I just buy packaged mainstream food, as dry
biscuits or boxed pasta or canned tuna etc, to be sure that no one working
there has put his hands on the food.

My favorite is an ex-independent butcher who's entered a consortium of small
hood-oriented markets, thus getting theyr brand printed all over: the
butchery section occupies 1/3 of the total surface of the place and is
totally in sight of the customer, even the vertical saw where they cut the
whole cow-halves. The only thing you can't see in are the fridges, but as a
butcher enters or exits one you can see even there in
This happens only in about the 30% of the supermarkets here, but the ones
who do are my favorite ones for meat.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> George L <--- quit smoking over 20 years ago

Great!!!

Best,

Andy <--- 5 years, come September 1st, 10:00AM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco said...

> My favorite is an ex-independent butcher who's entered a consortium of
> small hood-oriented markets, thus getting theyr brand printed all over:
> the butchery section occupies 1/3 of the total surface of the place and
> is totally in sight of the customer, even the vertical saw where they
> cut the whole cow-halves. The only thing you can't see in are the
> fridges, but as a butcher enters or exits one you can see even there in
> This happens only in about the 30% of the supermarkets here, but the
> ones who do are my favorite ones for meat.

There was a butcher like you describe in an upscale market. They worked their
magic out in the open behind the meat cases. They dry aged their own beef and
almost one entire wall of the room facing the customers was a solid pane of
glass. I used to stop and stare! Priciest beef I ever did see!!!

Alas, they closed two years ago. They were my best buffalo supplier. I could
call in an order anyday and they'd have it in next day, after lunchtime. Was
I spoiled?!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:24:30 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and what
>do you mix it with, if anything?

Ready made, meaning preground? We don't buy much red meat anymore.
When we buy hamburger it's always preground and we never look for
silly labels like "ground sirloin". The only thing we look at is fat
content.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:14:14 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>> From: "Mike.. . ." >
>> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>>
>> you better hadnt speak about rubbish like hamburgers in my group!
>>
>> --
>> Mike... . . . .
>> Spanish food "http://www.fell-******.co.uk/espania.htm"

>You fishing for fags? Sick ****!

Look at the return address, Andy. It's the ukf+dm Mike troll, not the
real Mike. Filter out anything with cock or *** after dot.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Mon 10 Aug 2009 03:24:30a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
>> what do you mix it with, if anything?

> There is one butcher shop near me and one local supermarket chain where I
> trust what I'm buying because it is ground in their stores daily. If I
> must
> buy beef from another source, I prefer to grind it myself as their ground
> meat is shipped in.

I always grind my own meat. I just wanted to know which cut of beef you
use.

> I prefer 80% lean for making hamburgers for cooking on the gas grill, as
> it
> provides more flavor and juciness. Otherwise, for cooking in recipes, I
> prefer 90-96% lean.
>
> I don't mix anything into the meat for hamburgers.

Ok thanks!

> --
> Wayne Boatwright
> The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the
> steak to cook. Julia Child

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use
>> and what do you mix it with, if anything?
>>

> I assume you mean ground beef for hamburger patties. I prefer to grind my
> own and usually use chuck. By adding anything do you mean to the patties
> for hamburger or to the ground beef itself?

I always grind meat myself. I was trying to find out what cut of beef you
use and if you add things like onion to the mix

Other than fat, I add nothing
> else to the ground beef. When it comes to hamburgers I usually don't use
> lot of seasonings but I have. Sometimes I'll mix in some dehydrated or
> flakes of dehydrated onion. Now and then I'll make a pocket in the center
> of the patty and put in a chunk of blue cheese.

Thanks, Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:24:30 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
>>what
>>do you mix it with, if anything?
>>

> Ready made, meaning preground? We don't buy much red meat anymore.
> When we buy hamburger it's always preground and we never look for
> silly labels like "ground sirloin". The only thing we look at is fat
> content.

As I have said elsewhere, I alway grind my meat. I don't trust any butcher
*that* far) I was interested in which cuts are used and I see you like to
see plenty of fat which I also would prefer.

Do you buy stewing/braising/frying steak?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:24:30 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and what
> do you mix it with, if anything?

I usually buy store-ground beef. Or I grind my own when briskets
are on sale for $1 or less.

You should never mix anything with ground beef unless you're making
meatloaf.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:24:30 +0100, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
>> what
>> do you mix it with, if anything?

> I usually buy store-ground beef. Or I grind my own when briskets
> are on sale for $1 or less.

Ahhh! That is what I wanted!!! You use Brisket!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks)

> You should never mix anything with ground beef unless you're making
> meatloaf.

Ok thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> ViLco said...
>
>> My favorite is an ex-independent butcher who's entered a consortium of
>> small hood-oriented markets, thus getting theyr brand printed all over:
>> the butchery section occupies 1/3 of the total surface of the place and
>> is totally in sight of the customer, even the vertical saw where they
>> cut the whole cow-halves. The only thing you can't see in are the
>> fridges, but as a butcher enters or exits one you can see even there in
>> This happens only in about the 30% of the supermarkets here, but the
>> ones who do are my favorite ones for meat.

> There was a butcher like you describe in an upscale market. They worked
> their
> magic out in the open behind the meat cases. They dry aged their own beef
> and
> almost one entire wall of the room facing the customers was a solid pane
> of
> glass. I used to stop and stare! Priciest beef I ever did see!!!
>
> Alas, they closed two years ago. They were my best buffalo supplier. I
> could
> call in an order anyday and they'd have it in next day, after lunchtime.
> Was
> I spoiled?!!

All nonsense... the hopper on a commercial grinder will hold 2-3 pounds of
meat... if you pick out some nice ribeye to grind it will push out whatever
cheap round is in the hopper and the next person, likely the butcher, will
get your expensive ground ribeye... and who knows when they cleaned that
grinder last... the ONLY way to ensure getting what you pay for is to grind
your own[period] And the fancier the butcher shop and the fancier their
prices the more likely they will cheat you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:14:14 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>> From: "Mike.. . ." >
>>> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>>>
>>> you better hadnt speak about rubbish like hamburgers in my group!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike... . . . .
>>> Spanish food "http://www.fell-******.co.uk/espania.htm"

>>You fishing for fags? Sick ****!
>>

> Look at the return address, Andy. It's the ukf+dm Mike troll, not the
> real Mike. Filter out anything with cock or *** after dot.

sf,

Gotcha! First I've seen of that and last!

Thanks for the fyi,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and what
> do you mix it with, if anything?

I generally grind my own using the grinder attachment on the Kitchen
Aide mixer. I wait for sales on chuck roasts. If there are bones, I save
them for making stock.

We like the flavor of chuck but don't want too much fat so grinding our
own controls the fat and we also know that there are no mystery
ingredients in the meat.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:28:21 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:24:30 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
>>>what
>>>do you mix it with, if anything?
>>>

>> Ready made, meaning preground? We don't buy much red meat anymore.
>> When we buy hamburger it's always preground and we never look for
>> silly labels like "ground sirloin". The only thing we look at is fat
>> content.

>As I have said elsewhere, I alway grind my meat. I don't trust any butcher
>*that* far) I was interested in which cuts are used and I see you like to
>see plenty of fat which I also would prefer.

I used to buy 20% fat because that has the best flavor. Since hubby
had his stents put in, we rarely eat red meat. I cooked hamburger for
the first time in almost a year last week, don't remember what it was
called other than hamburger.

>Do you buy stewing/braising/frying steak?

Do you mean whole pieces of red meat to eat whole, not ground? I
don't have any interest in grinding my own. If it's ground, I
consider it pouring money down the drain to buy anything except ground
miscellaneous ends and pieces. Some call it mystery meat, I call it
ground beef. I have the same attitude with pork and lamb.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> All nonsense... the hopper on a commercial grinder will hold 2-3 pounds
> of meat... if you pick out some nice ribeye to grind it will push out
> whatever cheap round is in the hopper and the next person, likely the
> butcher, will get your expensive ground ribeye... and who knows when
> they cleaned that grinder last... the ONLY way to ensure getting what
> you pay for is to grind your own[period] And the fancier the butcher
> shop and the fancier their prices the more likely they will cheat you.

I agree about the in-store grinding. I have the grinder attachment for the
stand mixer. Does a decent job. The hopper part is practically useless
since you have to plunge the meat down a narrow chute with a wooden
plunger. If I had to grind 2-3 pounds of meat, I'd be there all day.

Dave, the butcher never cheated me. I had him trim skirt steaks a handful
of times and he weighed and priced it after trimming.

I suppose if a customer was smug and impatient, that *could* tip the
honesty scale.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote

> I agree about the in-store grinding. I have the grinder attachment for the
> stand mixer. Does a decent job. The hopper part is practically useless
> since you have to plunge the meat down a narrow chute with a wooden
> plunger. If I had to grind 2-3 pounds of meat, I'd be there all day.
>
> Dave, the butcher never cheated me. I had him trim skirt steaks a handful
> of times and he weighed and priced it after trimming.
>
> I suppose if a customer was smug and impatient, that *could* tip the
> honesty scale.

Or maybe if the customer had Death Riding On His Shoulder. A butcher with
gumption might be tempted to Cheat Death.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
>> what do you mix it with, if anything?

> I generally grind my own using the grinder attachment on the Kitchen Aide
> mixer. I wait for sales on chuck roasts. If there are bones, I save them
> for making stock.

Yes, I grind my own too Chuck roast! That is what I needed to know So
now, I have Brisket from Steve and Chuck roasts from you! Perfect! Thank
you

> We like the flavor of chuck but don't want too much fat so grinding our
> own controls the fat and we also know that there are no mystery
> ingredients in the meat.

Oh yes! Mystery meat I do NOT want

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 10 Aug 2009 09:23:08a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...
>> On Mon 10 Aug 2009 03:24:30a, Ophelia told us...
>>
>>> Does everyone buy ready made? If not, what kind of beef do you use and
>>> what do you mix it with, if anything?

>> There is one butcher shop near me and one local supermarket chain where

>> trust what I'm buying because it is ground in their stores daily. If I
>> must buy beef from another source, I prefer to grind it myself as their
>> ground meat is shipped in.

> I always grind my own meat. I just wanted to know which cut of beef you
> use.

On the occasions when I grind my own, I always buy a chuck roast for
grinding, and vary the amount fat as needed.

--
Wayne Boatwright
What is stronger than a mother's love? The smell of spring onions