Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Semolina flour in Australia?

I've tried posting this in rec.food.baking but as some might have
noticed, that's the preserve of spammers nowadays.
I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether the word 'semolina' on
a packet of flour here guarantees that it's from durum flour wheat
germ and not from regular flour. I've looked at the fine print on some
packets and it's never specified, which makes me a bit dubious. Some
of my recipes for Italian-style bread do specify using some semolina
flour, meaning of course derived from durum -- do you think that in
Australia it's just a generic term for any crushed wheat-germ? It
wouldn't be the same thing at all, of course, in that case.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 28, 4:05*pm, anthony > wrote:
> I've tried posting this in rec.food.baking but as some might have
> noticed, that's the preserve of spammers nowadays.
> I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether the word 'semolina' on
> a packet of flour here guarantees that it's from durum flour wheat
> germ and not from regular flour. I've looked at the fine print on some
> packets and it's never specified, which makes me a bit dubious. Some
> of my recipes for Italian-style bread do specify using some semolina
> flour, meaning of course derived from durum -- do you think that in
> Australia it's just a generic term for any crushed wheat-germ? It
> wouldn't be the same thing at all, of course, in that case.

See here http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/im...urum_wheat.pdf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

anthony wrote:

>> See
>> herewww.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/.../durum_wheat.pdf

> From here, the link is broken. It took me to the agric.wa site, but
> that said 'sadly, what you're looking for isn't here'.
> It did lead me to a site telling potential growers that durum wheat
> could offer better returns than conventional, but that doesn't really
> answer my question...

Look at the 3 dots in that link: it probably got copied & pasted from a
google page or alike.
Tudor5 should copy it again paying attention to the google abbreviations
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 28, 6:27*pm, Tudor5 > wrote:
> On Jul 28, 4:05*pm, anthony > wrote:
>
> > I've tried posting this in rec.food.baking but as some might have
> > noticed, that's the preserve of spammers nowadays.
> > I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether the word 'semolina' on
> > a packet of flour here guarantees that it's from durum flour wheat
> > germ and not from regular flour. I've looked at the fine print on some
> > packets and it's never specified, which makes me a bit dubious. Some
> > of my recipes for Italian-style bread do specify using some semolina
> > flour, meaning of course derived from durum -- do you think that in
> > Australia it's just a generic term for any crushed wheat-germ? It
> > wouldn't be the same thing at all, of course, in that case.

> See herewww.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/.../durum_wheat.pdf

From here, the link is broken. It took me to the agric.wa site, but
that said 'sadly, what you're looking for isn't here'.
It did lead me to a site telling potential growers that durum wheat
could offer better returns than conventional, but that doesn't really
answer my question...
Thanks anyway
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"anthony" > wrote in message
On Jul 28, 6:27 pm, Tudor5 > wrote:
> On Jul 28, 4:05 pm, anthony > wrote:
>
> > I've tried posting this in rec.food.baking but as some might have
> > noticed, that's the preserve of spammers nowadays.
> > I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether the word 'semolina' on
> > a packet of flour here guarantees that it's from durum flour wheat
> > germ and not from regular flour. I've looked at the fine print on some
> > packets and it's never specified, which makes me a bit dubious. Some
> > of my recipes for Italian-style bread do specify using some semolina
> > flour, meaning of course derived from durum -- do you think that in
> > Australia it's just a generic term for any crushed wheat-germ? It
> > wouldn't be the same thing at all, of course, in that case.

> See herewww.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/.../durum_wheat.pdf

From here, the link is broken. It took me to the agric.wa site, but
that said 'sadly, what you're looking for isn't here'.
It did lead me to a site telling potential growers that durum wheat
could offer better returns than conventional, but that doesn't really
answer my question...
Thanks anyway
================

semolina
Noun
the large hard grains of wheat left after flour has been milled, used for
making puddings and pasta [Italian semolino]

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/semolina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"anthony" > wrote in message
> I've tried posting this in rec.food.baking but as some might have
> noticed, that's the preserve of spammers nowadays.
> I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether the word 'semolina' on
> a packet of flour here guarantees that it's from durum flour wheat
> germ and not from regular flour. I've looked at the fine print on some
> packets and it's never specified, which makes me a bit dubious. Some
> of my recipes for Italian-style bread do specify using some semolina
> flour, meaning of course derived from durum -- do you think that in
> Australia it's just a generic term for any crushed wheat-germ? It
> wouldn't be the same thing at all, of course, in that case.

=======================================

What side of the country are you on?
I have Durum Semolina in my cupboard.

http://www.allaboutbread.com.au/

I get mine from a shop in Bunbury.

Hoges in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

and post a tiny link too http://tinyurl.com/

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "anthony" > wrote in message
> On Jul 28, 6:27 pm, Tudor5 > wrote:
>> On Jul 28, 4:05 pm, anthony > wrote:
>>
>>> I've tried posting this in rec.food.baking but as some might have
>>> noticed, that's the preserve of spammers nowadays.
>>> I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether the word 'semolina' on
>>> a packet of flour here guarantees that it's from durum flour wheat
>>> germ and not from regular flour. I've looked at the fine print on some
>>> packets and it's never specified, which makes me a bit dubious. Some
>>> of my recipes for Italian-style bread do specify using some semolina
>>> flour, meaning of course derived from durum -- do you think that in
>>> Australia it's just a generic term for any crushed wheat-germ? It
>>> wouldn't be the same thing at all, of course, in that case.

>> See herewww.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/.../durum_wheat.pdf

> From here, the link is broken. It took me to the agric.wa site, but
> that said 'sadly, what you're looking for isn't here'.
> It did lead me to a site telling potential growers that durum wheat
> could offer better returns than conventional, but that doesn't really
> answer my question...
> Thanks anyway
> ================
>
> semolina
> Noun
> the large hard grains of wheat left after flour has been milled, used for
> making puddings and pasta [Italian semolino]
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/semolina

Probably hobbled by the Intranet

Try this

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/im...urum_wheat.pdf

If that does not work do your own google and type in
Farm note 80/2004roduction package Durham wheat [wa agric]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

anthony wrote:

> I've tried posting this in rec.food.baking but as some might have
> noticed, that's the preserve of spammers nowadays.
> I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether the word 'semolina' on
> a packet of flour here guarantees that it's from durum flour wheat
> germ and not from regular flour. I've looked at the fine print on some
> packets and it's never specified, which makes me a bit dubious. Some
> of my recipes for Italian-style bread do specify using some semolina
> flour, meaning of course derived from durum -- do you think that in
> Australia it's just a generic term for any crushed wheat-germ? It
> wouldn't be the same thing at all, of course, in that case.

Semolina can be made from any type of wheat.
A hard wheat like durum will give you more
semolina per pound of wheat, but all wheats
will produce some semolina when milled.

Milling reduces the wheat berry to particles.
The protein-rich heavy particles are called
semolina. The starch-rich light particles
are called dunst. Intermediate particles
are called middlings.

Flours are blends of these particles adapted
for particular purposes. A cake flour will
have more dunst, while a pasta flour will
have more semolina.

REC: Semolina Cake Peterl. General Cooking 0 11-08-2010 03:44 AM
semolina flour in Australia for bread? anthony Baking 7 19-08-2009 10:40 PM
Semolina Flour Mark D General Cooking 19 29-10-2004 12:37 AM
Can't find 00 Durum Semolina Flour Scott General Cooking 8 30-05-2004 05:48 AM