Scott

Default Can't find 00 Durum Semolina Flour

I guess the subject says it all, but I just recently was given a pasta
maker and can't seem to find 00 Durum Semolina Flour ANYWHERE on the
Internet. Anyone know where I can get this?

Thanks,
Scott
Laura J

http://www.caponefoods.com/

It's not in their product list yet but the last time I was in the store they
told me they were going to be carrying it soon. Send him (yes, the owner's
name is Al Capone) an email and I'm sure he'd be happy to mail you some.

For the record, I just use regular old semolina flour from the bulk bin at
the local co-op. Hopefully that doesn't offend anyone!

LauraJ

"Scott" > wrote in message
om...
> I guess the subject says it all, but I just recently was given a pasta
> maker and can't seem to find 00 Durum Semolina Flour ANYWHERE on the
> Internet. Anyone know where I can get this?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Mike Pearce

"hahabogus" wrote in message

> Durum is one type of wheat flour. And Semolina is another. Durum is a hard
> wheat Semolina is a softer wheat. Ask at places like King Arthurs flour.

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken about this. I believe that semolina is made
from durum wheat. Semolina flour is coarsely ground durum wheat.

-Mike

Levelwave©

Scott wrote:

> I guess the subject says it all, but I just recently was given a pasta
> maker and can't seem to find 00 Durum Semolina Flour ANYWHERE on the
> Internet. Anyone know where I can get this?

You can mix equal parts Cake and AP flour to achieve a result very
similar to 00 flour...

~john

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright

Gregory Toomey

hahabogus wrote:

> (Scott) wrote in
> om:
>
>> I guess the subject says it all, but I just recently was given a pasta
>> maker and can't seem to find 00 Durum Semolina Flour ANYWHERE on the
>> Internet. Anyone know where I can get this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>>

> Durum is one type of wheat flour. And Semolina is another. Durum is a hard
> wheat Semolina is a softer wheat. Ask at places like King Arthurs flour.

Semolina is just coarsere milled wheat.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=semolina
"The gritty coarse particles of wheat left after the finer flour has passed
through a bolting machine, used for pasta."

I've found that plain/all purpose flour flour works very well for fresh
pasta. Just add egg & water. Making fresh pasta takes time but its fairly
idiot proof.

If you get a ravioli cutter, or add pumkpin/spinach/tomato to the dough,
your guests invariably think you're a culinary genius!
gtoomey
Rod Keys

Laura is basically right.

"Hardness" means two things. A flour high in protein (gluten) is called
hard because when you stick your hand in it feels kind of hard. Also ..
wheat that is left in the field longer, sometimes over winter, is called
"hard" because it's higher in protein so it might mean "winter flour".

Duram and Seminola are two kinds of flour that differ in "hardness". Some
feel one's too hard, the other too soft for perfect pasta. Also they differ
slightly in nutrient content. Commercial pasta is somtimes made of the a 50
/ 50 blend of the two to be "just right".

I beleive "00" refers to the coarseness or fineness of the grind. If I
remeber correctly, 00 is fine by 19th century water wheel driven mill
standards but "medium to couse" to modern users. (I think.)

After all that .. pick up a bag of "pasta flour" at the store and all will
be well .. unless you really want to make a serious study of the subject.

"Scott" > wrote in message
om...
> I guess the subject says it all, but I just recently was given a pasta
> maker and can't seem to find 00 Durum Semolina Flour ANYWHERE on the
> Internet. Anyone know where I can get this?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Boron Elgar

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:28:02 -0400, "Rod Keys" >
wrote:

>Laura is basically right.
>
>"Hardness" means two things. A flour high in protein (gluten) is called
>hard because when you stick your hand in it feels kind of hard. Also ..
>wheat that is left in the field longer, sometimes over winter, is called
>"hard" because it's higher in protein so it might mean "winter flour".
>
>Duram and Seminola are two kinds of flour that differ in "hardness". Some
>feel one's too hard, the other too soft for perfect pasta. Also they differ
>slightly in nutrient content. Commercial pasta is somtimes made of the a 50
>/ 50 blend of the two to be "just right".
>
>I beleive "00" refers to the coarseness or fineness of the grind. If I
>remeber correctly, 00 is fine by 19th century water wheel driven mill
>standards but "medium to couse" to modern users. (I think.)
>
>After all that .. pick up a bag of "pasta flour" at the store and all will
>be well .. unless you really want to make a serious study of the subject.

Semolina flour and durum flour are both made from durum wheat.
Sometimes you can get the two mixed together for an interesting pasta.
I use a blend from Hodgson Mills to make breads. 00 Semolina is a very
fine and soft flour. It might be found in specialty Italian markets,
but the easiest thing, as you recommend is just go to the market &
get semolina or pasta flour. A health food store might offer a bit
more variety. (If you want whole wheat durum....try an INdian market)

Here is something from the North Dakota Wheat commission

http://www.ndwheat.com/wi/durum/
Durum is the hardest of all wheats. Its density, combined with its
high protein content and gluten strength, make durum the wheat of
choice for producing premium pasta products. Pasta made from durum is
firm with consistent cooking quality. Durum kernels are amber-colored
and larger than those of other wheat classes. Also unique to durum is
its yellow endosperm, which gives pasta its golden hue.

When durum is milled, the endosperm is ground into a granular product
called semolina. A mixture of water and semolina forms a stiff dough.
Pasta dough is then forced through dies, or metal discs with holes, to
create hundreds of different shapes.

And Sara Moulton says:
http://saramoulton.com/ks_022603.htm
Semolina and durum flour are similar but not quite the same thing.
Both are made from the golden center or endosperm of the durum wheat
kernel and can not be made from any other kind of wheat. The
difference is in how they are ground. Semolina is a coarse grind,
similar to cornmeal in appearance and durum flour is a fine grind
similar to other flours. Durum wheat is the hardest variety of wheat
that is cultivated in America and gets its name from the Latin word
meaning "hard." It is used mostly for pasta and occasionally for
breads or cakes.

For an "everything you ever wanted to know..." sort of article, try
the Canadian Wheat fellas...
http://www.cwb.ca/en/publications/st...m_to_pasta.pdf

Boron
Lynn Gifford

Boron Elgar > wrote in message news:
(snip)
> Here is something from the North Dakota Wheat commission
>
> http://www.ndwheat.com/wi/durum/
> Durum is the hardest of all wheats. Its density, combined with its
> high protein content and gluten strength, make durum the wheat of
> choice for producing premium pasta products. Pasta made from durum is
> firm with consistent cooking quality. Durum kernels are amber-colored
> and larger than those of other wheat classes. Also unique to durum is
> its yellow endosperm, which gives pasta its golden hue.
>
> When durum is milled, the endosperm is ground into a granular product
> called semolina. A mixture of water and semolina forms a stiff dough.
> Pasta dough is then forced through dies, or metal discs with holes, to
> create hundreds of different shapes.
>

> Boron

========================
Oh Boron! Thank you thank youI have been off line for a couple of days
and missed this little travesty. On behalf of the durum growers and
pasta makers in North Dakota, your post is most welcome. We have a
couple of large pasta plants in North Dakota that make really high
quality pasta (Dakota Growers is very good) and much or our durum
wheat is exported to Italy. Soft wheat flour makes superior biscuits
etc - think "Southern" cooking, but for pasta and bread you need hard
wheat.

Lynn from Fargo

semolina flour in Australia for bread? anthony Baking 7 19-08-2009 10:40 PM
Semolina flour in Australia? anthony General Cooking 8 28-07-2009 06:44 PM
Durum flour Jeff Miller Sourdough 6 30-09-2006 04:54 AM
Semolina Flour Mark D General Cooking 19 29-10-2004 12:37 AM