General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,207
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

Hello All!

The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in r.f.recipes
looks good since I like the salad in restaurants. I am told that
shredded papaya can be bought in some stores and I wonder if anyone can
suggest any likely places. A whole papaya is much more than I want.

--


James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,635
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

James Silverton <not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not> wrote:

> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in
> r.f.recipes looks good since I like the salad in restaurants. I
> am told that shredded papaya can be bought in some stores and I
> wonder if anyone can suggest any likely places. A whole papaya
> is much more than I want.


You can try it with canned shredded green papaya but I am not
overly optimistic.

I usually make it with a combination of green papaya, ripe
papaya and shredded ginger (young ginger is ideal), and
consequently it is a large dish and so I mainly only ever take
it to potlucks.

Steve
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,555
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in r.f.recipes
> looks good since I like the salad in restaurants. I am told that
> shredded papaya can be bought in some stores and I wonder if anyone can
> suggest any likely places. A whole papaya is much more than I want.
>



I've seen it at that new Asian food store on 7th street. (seriously)

Call your local Asian and Oriental markets, especially ones that cater
to the Vietnamese, Hmong, etc. There's only one here that keeps it
shredded in stock, but you might can buy a half a green papaya and shred
it yourself.

Bob
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,207
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

zxcvbob wrote on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:19:00 -0500:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in
>> r.f.recipes looks good since I like the salad in restaurants.
>> I am told that shredded papaya can be bought in some stores
>> and I wonder if anyone can suggest any likely places. A whole
>> papaya is much more than I want.
>>

> I've seen it at that new Asian food store on 7th street.
> (seriously)


> Call your local Asian and Oriental markets, especially ones
> that cater to the Vietnamese, Hmong, etc. There's only one
> here that keeps it shredded in stock, but you might can buy a half a
> green papaya and shred it yourself.


Thanks! In which town is seventh st. located? I don't want to seem
racist but I generally find that I have to ask face to face. The phone
just doesn't work :-(

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,555
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

James Silverton wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:19:00 -0500:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in
>>> r.f.recipes looks good since I like the salad in restaurants.
>>> I am told that shredded papaya can be bought in some stores
>>> and I wonder if anyone can suggest any likely places. A whole
>>> papaya is much more than I want.
>>>

>> I've seen it at that new Asian food store on 7th street.
>> (seriously)

>
>> Call your local Asian and Oriental markets, especially ones
>> that cater to the Vietnamese, Hmong, etc. There's only one
>> here that keeps it shredded in stock, but you might can buy a half a
>> green papaya and shred it yourself.

>
> Thanks! In which town is seventh st. located?


It's in Minnesota, so it might be a bit far... :-)
I didn't see that your .sig said where you live. (It was funny when it
was just "7th Street" with no other geography even implied. The joke
kind of falls apart when you give it more information)

But the point remains, it's available in some Asian markets. Good luck!

Bob


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,612
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in r.f.recipes
> looks good since I like the salad in restaurants. I am told that
> shredded papaya can be bought in some stores and I wonder if anyone can
> suggest any likely places. A whole papaya is much more than I want.
>

I liked her suggestion re using green mango, which is easier to
find. I have never seen pre-shredded papaya.

--
Jean B.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 122
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

On 2009-07-21, James Silverton > wrote:

> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in r.f.recipes
> looks good since I like the salad in restaurants. I am told that
> shredded papaya can be bought in some stores and I wonder if anyone can
> suggest any likely places. A whole papaya is much more than I want.


You don't really need the green papaya -- You need texture and a substrate
to absorb the flavors. In the US, my wife who is Thai uses shredded carrot
and cucumber to make som tam. On my Web site I have recipes from som tam
using string beans or Chinese kale stalks.

--
Clay Irving >
Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned.
- Milton Friedman
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,959
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:29:24 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:19:00 -0500:
>>
>>> James Silverton wrote:
>>>> Hello All!
>>>>
>>>> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in
>>>> r.f.recipes looks good since I like the salad in restaurants.
>>>> I am told that shredded papaya can be bought in some stores
>>>> and I wonder if anyone can suggest any likely places. A whole
>>>> papaya is much more than I want.
>>>>
>>> I've seen it at that new Asian food store on 7th street.
>>> (seriously)

>>
>>> Call your local Asian and Oriental markets, especially ones
>>> that cater to the Vietnamese, Hmong, etc. There's only one
>>> here that keeps it shredded in stock, but you might can buy a half a
>>> green papaya and shred it yourself.

>>
>> Thanks! In which town is seventh st. located?

>
> It's in Minnesota, so it might be a bit far... :-)
> I didn't see that your .sig said where you live. (It was funny when it
> was just "7th Street" with no other geography even implied. The joke
> kind of falls apart when you give it more information)
>


shit, you got my hopes up. 7th st. runs through d.c.'s chinatown, which
hasn't had a decent asian market in fifteen-odd years.

you pal,
blake
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,207
Default Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum)

Clay wrote on Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:16:01 +0000 (UTC):

>> The recipe for Green papaya salad that Judy Bolton posted in
>> r.f.recipes looks good since I like the salad in restaurants.
>> I am told that shredded papaya can be bought in some stores
>> and I wonder if anyone can suggest any likely places. A whole
>> papaya is much more than I want.


> You don't really need the green papaya -- You need texture and
> a substrate to absorb the flavors. In the US, my wife who is
> Thai uses shredded carrot and cucumber to make som tam. On my
> Web site I have recipes from som tam using string beans or
> Chinese kale stalks.


Thanks for the suggestion. Carrot might work but I only willingly eat
two brassicae, Brussels sprouts and shredded cabbage. The latter might
work.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which to you prefer, green papaya or green mango for salad? ImStillMags General Cooking 1 12-06-2014 11:48 PM
about Thai Green papaya salad Amanda General Cooking 6 05-01-2007 06:49 AM
Green Papaya Salad International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 10-03-2005 04:56 AM
Vietnamese Green Papaya Salad International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 21-11-2004 01:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"