Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Perfect Burger" - Beef Mixture

This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
Burger."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291

Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.

The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Simon wrote:
> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
> Burger."
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>
> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>
> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

Bob - Every one will have an opinion on this. But here's mine.

If grilling, I just want to make sure is *8% lean (usually chuck). I
usually will add a little Worcestershire and some chopped onion to it so
I don't know that adding some amount of other cuts would be beneficial.
Especially since you'd likely be lowering the fat content (where most
flavor comes from). I would also think I could likely find better uses
for those other cuts of meat.

If inside, I've never had a "great" hamburger. Just very good ones with
all the condiments and fresh add-ons that I like, like sauted mushrooms
and onions.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Bob Simon wrote:
>> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
>> Burger." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>>
>> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
>> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
>> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>>
>> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
>> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

> Bob - Every one will have an opinion on this. But here's mine.
>
> If grilling, I just want to make sure is *8% lean (usually chuck). I
> usually will add a little Worcestershire and some chopped onion to it so
> I don't know that adding some amount of other cuts would be beneficial.
> Especially since you'd likely be lowering the fat content (where most
> flavor comes from). I would also think I could likely find better uses
> for those other cuts of meat.
>
> If inside, I've never had a "great" hamburger. Just very good ones with
> all the condiments and fresh add-ons that I like, like sauted mushrooms
> and onions.
>
> Bob

Fat fingers... 85% is what I meant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Bob Simon wrote:
>>> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
>>> Burger." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>>>
>>> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
>>> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
>>> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>>>
>>> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
>>> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

>> Bob - Every one will have an opinion on this. But here's mine.
>>
>> If grilling, I just want to make sure is *8% lean (usually chuck). I
>> usually will add a little Worcestershire and some chopped onion to it so
>> I don't know that adding some amount of other cuts would be beneficial.
>> Especially since you'd likely be lowering the fat content (where most
>> flavor comes from). I would also think I could likely find better uses
>> for those other cuts of meat.
>>
>> If inside, I've never had a "great" hamburger. Just very good ones with
>> all the condiments and fresh add-ons that I like, like sauted mushrooms
>> and onions.
>>
>> Bob

> Fat fingers... 85% is what I meant.

I thought you might like fat burgers to go with those fat fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Simon" > wrote in message
> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
> Burger."
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>
> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>
> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

Matter of taste. I've used them all independently and I'm sure they'd be
good blended. Sirloin tends to be much leaner than brisket so the fat add
some juice to the mix.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi wrote:
> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> Bob Muncie wrote:

>>> Bob - Every one will have an opinion on this. But here's mine.
>>>
>>> If grilling, I just want to make sure is *8% lean (usually chuck). I
>>> usually will add a little Worcestershire and some chopped onion to it so
>>> I don't know that adding some amount of other cuts would be beneficial.
>>> Especially since you'd likely be lowering the fat content (where most
>>> flavor comes from). I would also think I could likely find better uses
>>> for those other cuts of meat.
>>>
>>> If inside, I've never had a "great" hamburger. Just very good ones with
>>> all the condiments and fresh add-ons that I like, like sauted mushrooms
>>> and onions.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Fat fingers... 85% is what I meant.

> I thought you might like fat burgers to go with those fat fingers.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 03 Jul 2009 09:09:12p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

> "Bob Simon" > wrote in message
>> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
>> Burger."
>> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>>
>> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
>> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
>> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>>
>> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
>> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

> Matter of taste. I've used them all independently and I'm sure they'd
> be good blended. Sirloin tends to be much leaner than brisket so the
> fat add some juice to the mix.

Admittedly, I haven't tried any of this, but I'm perfectly happy with an
80/20 ground beef. Juicy burgers, with a crusty exterior and beefy flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sugar is a type of bodily fuel, yes, but your body runs about as

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Simon" > wrote in message
> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
> Burger."
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>
> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>
> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

IMHO that's the kind of crap that turns the average person off.

Like I'm going to go out have have 3 kinds of beef ground up to make a
burger.

If the average person has the time and inclination to do that he can send
his personal assistant to the market.

Ridiculous!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:31:12 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Bob Simon" > wrote in message
.. .
>> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
>> Burger."
>> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>>
>> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
>> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
>> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>>
>> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
>> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

>IMHO that's the kind of crap that turns the average person off.

LOL! Tell us what you *really* think, Dimitri.

>Like I'm going to go out have have 3 kinds of beef ground up to make a
>burger.
>
>If the average person has the time and inclination to do that he can send
>his personal assistant to the market.
>
>Ridiculous!

I'm happy with ground chuck and I want some fat in it too, otherwise
why bother? I could have cooked a steak instead.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> IMHO that's the kind of crap that turns the average person off.
>
> Like I'm going to go out have have 3 kinds of beef ground up to make a
> burger.
>
> If the average person has the time and inclination to do that he can send
> his personal assistant to the market.
>
> Ridiculous!
>
> Dimitri

I guess I'm not average. For meatballs, we use a blend of 50% ground beef,
25% ground pork, 25% ground veal.

For burgers, it is the beef we happen to have though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> IMHO that's the kind of crap that turns the average person off.
>>
>> Like I'm going to go out have have 3 kinds of beef ground up to make a
>> burger.
>>
>> If the average person has the time and inclination to do that he can send
>> his personal assistant to the market.
>>
>> Ridiculous!
>>
>> Dimitri

> I guess I'm not average. For meatballs, we use a blend of 50% ground
> beef, 25% ground pork, 25% ground veal.

Using meat from different animals is typical for meat loaf/meat balls.

But blending 3 different cuts of beef for burgers is nonsensical... in fact
it can't be done... not without over working the ground meat, so even if it
made a difference (which it would not) it's counter-productive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 8:56*am, Bob Simon > wrote:
> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
> Burger." *http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>
> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>
> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

I just go with ground round, usually 90/10. It has enough fat for my
taste, good flavor and it makes great burgers. I usually buy local
beef if I can - here in sort-of beef country. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 8:56*am, Bob Simon > wrote:
> This morning, NPR broadcast a story on "How To Make The Perfect
> Burger." *http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106203291
>
> Adam Lang suggested grinding a mixture of meats: "Chuck gives it body,
> sirloin and brisket provide depth of flavor, and the brisket also adds
> that stick-to-your-ribs feeling" because it contains collagen.
>
> The story did not specify the proportions of the three types of meat.
> Would you expect they should be used in roughly equal amounts?

Oh God, here come the 47394793274237489573757329857328973274230 posts
about adding bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce and sauteed
mushrooms and everything else that makes it FRIED MEATLOAF PATTIES.