Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Knife skills video

http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 14, 10:47*am, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:
> http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php

Hard to imagine somebody going to Culinary Institute classes who
didn't already know those things. But the video itself is as clear
and straightforward as it could be. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 10:47*am, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:
> http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

thanks so much for posting this.

harriet & critters in azusa, ca (15 miles east of pasadena, ca)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 3:03*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jun 14, 10:47*am, "Chris Marksberry"
>
> > wrote:
> >http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php

> Hard to imagine somebody going to Culinary Institute classes who
> didn't already know those things. *But the video itself is as clear
> and straightforward as it could be. * -aem

It sounds to me like workshops for non-professionals who are in for
something like a day or 3 day course and who very likely don't know
much about knives.
The video probably cuts down on the amount of time the instructor
spends in the intro to the course.

John Kane Kingston ON canaad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:03:00 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>Hard to imagine somebody going to Culinary Institute classes who
>didn't already know those things.

The dumb masses are among us.

Don't spread my wealth...spread my work ethic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
> http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Nice video Chris, thanks.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Knife skills video (semi OT)

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
> http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

A few years ago 2 of my daughters applied for admission to a cooking class
that had several pre-requisites. They had not taken the appropriate classes.
The Instructor said " let me see you each cut a rib of celery" after
watching their knife work he said "OK you're in"

Not that I'm a proud Papa or anything.

LOL

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:

> Don't spread my wealth...spread my work ethic.

I like that. If only the idea had more support from the rest of society...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 2:03*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jun 14, 10:47*am, "Chris Marksberry"
>
> > wrote:
> >http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php

> Hard to imagine somebody going to Culinary Institute classes who
> didn't already know those things. *But the video itself is as clear
> and straightforward as it could be. *

Oh, I know someone who teaches at one. You'd be surprised.

-aem

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:14:40 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>
>> Don't spread my wealth...spread my work ethic.

> I like that. If only the idea had more support from the rest of society...
>
> Bob

considering the quality of some people's work, i'm not sure it's
universally a good thing.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote in news:e2db4f8a-63fc-43a9-85d1-
:

> On Jun 14, 10:47*am, "Chris Marksberry"
> > wrote:

http://healthykitchens.org/advance-hms.php

> Hard to imagine somebody going to Culinary Institute classes who
> didn't already know those things. But the video itself is as clear
> and straightforward as it could be. -aem

Maybe not the usual person going to Culinary Institue classes, but this
website is for a conference on nutrition for healthcare providers, - the
website says

"These experts will be joined by world class chef educators from The
Culinary Institute of America to lead demonstrations and hands-on teaching
sessions (literally in the kitchen) for health care providers who wish to
learn about selection, purchase and preparation strategies and techniques
for healthy foods and healthy cooking."

So I imagine many would not necessarily have much background in cooking, or
not this level of skills anyway.

The video certainly is good - I've never had any sort of cooking training
(other than high school classes many many years ago!) and am the first to
admit my knife skills could stand improving (while I like to cook, baking
is my first love), so I'm finding it very useful.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904