Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Great Way to Cook Bacon

Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.

Preheat oven - Medium temperature.

Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
into the pan.

The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>
> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>
> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> into the pan.
>
> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)

Pic:

http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 19:08:54 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>
>> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>>
>> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>>
>> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>> into the pan.
>>
>> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

>I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
>out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
>
>Pic:
>
>http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg

I imagine you can vary the doneness in a deep fryer; I don't like my
bacon crispy at all. Also, crispy bacon tends to be dry.

I don't own a deep fat-fryer, either. I wouldn't use one often
enough.

What kind of fat do you use? When I was a kid, eggs were always
cooked in the bacon fat - along with anything else.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2009 19:08:54 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> >
> >> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
> >>
> >> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
> >>
> >> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> >> into the pan.
> >>
> >> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> >> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

> >I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
> >out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
> >
> >Pic:
> >
> >http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg

> I imagine you can vary the doneness in a deep fryer; I don't like my
> bacon crispy at all. Also, crispy bacon tends to be dry.

It's very easy to vary it as it cooks so fast, one has to stand over it.

> I don't own a deep fat-fryer, either. I wouldn't use one often
> enough.

I used it a lot when I first got it due to it being a new toy, but now I
only use it a couple of times per year or so. It's small (4 cups) so
does not take up much space.

> What kind of fat do you use? When I was a kid, eggs were always
> cooked in the bacon fat - along with anything else.

Peanut oil, but what is nice about frying bacon in it is that the bacon
fat cooks into the oil and combines nicely with it, so makes it really
nice for other items such as fish or sweet potato fries.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:25*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 22 May 2009 19:08:54 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> > >I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
> > >out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)

> > >Pic:

> > >http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg

> > I imagine you can vary the doneness in a deep fryer; I don't like my
> > bacon crispy at all. *Also, crispy bacon tends to be dry.

> It's very easy to vary it as it cooks so fast, one has to stand over it.
>

> > I don't own a deep fat-fryer, either. *I wouldn't use one often
> > enough.

> I used it a lot when I first got it due to it being a new toy, but now I
> only use it a couple of times per year or so. *It's small (4 cups) so
> does not take up much space.
>

> > What kind of fat do you use? *When I was a kid, eggs were always
> > cooked in the bacon fat - along with anything else.

> Peanut oil, but what is nice about frying bacon in it is that the bacon
> fat cooks into the oil and combines nicely with it, so makes it really *
> nice for other items such as fish or sweet potato fries.

I do the same thing, but in a frypan with only about 1/2" of peanut
oil.

I remember when I was young, I used to deep fry those battered/breaded
fish fillets, the ones that say to bake them on the box. Bacon gets
fried. Breaded fish gets fried. Fried chicken gets fried. French
fries get fried. I don't put things into the oven that *should be*
fried. I sure as heck don't put them in the microwave.

> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia said...

> On Fri, 22 May 2009 19:08:54 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>>
>>> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>>>
>>> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>>>
>>> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>>> into the pan.
>>>
>>> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>>> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

>>I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
>>out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
>>
>>Pic:
>>
>>http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg

> I imagine you can vary the doneness in a deep fryer; I don't like my
> bacon crispy at all. Also, crispy bacon tends to be dry.
>
> I don't own a deep fat-fryer, either. I wouldn't use one often
> enough.
>
> What kind of fat do you use? When I was a kid, eggs were always
> cooked in the bacon fat - along with anything else.

For thick sliced Oscar Mayer bacon in a 1,100 watt microwave.

From bottom up...

Paper plate
Dinner paper napkin
4 slices of thick bacon
Dinner paper napkin
Paper plate.

Nuke on high for four minutes.

Allow it to cool a couple minutes.

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:59*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Mack A. Damia said...
>

> > On Fri, 22 May 2009 19:08:54 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> >>I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
> >>out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)

> >>Pic:

> >>http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg

> > I imagine you can vary the doneness in a deep fryer; I don't like my
> > bacon crispy at all. *Also, crispy bacon tends to be dry.

> > I don't own a deep fat-fryer, either. *I wouldn't use one often
> > enough.

> > What kind of fat do you use? *When I was a kid, eggs were always
> > cooked in the bacon fat - along with anything else.

> For thick sliced Oscar Mayer bacon in a 1,100 watt microwave.
>
> From bottom up...
>
> Paper plate
> Dinner paper napkin
> 4 slices of thick bacon
> Dinner paper napkin
> Paper plate.
>
> Nuke on high for four minutes.
>
> Allow it to cool a couple minutes.

Why do you do almost everything the wrong way? Meat should NEVER be
cooked in a microwave. Save your nuker for already precooked stuff
like chipped beef.

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy > wrote in :

> For thick sliced Oscar Mayer bacon in a 1,100 watt microwave.
>
> From bottom up...
>
> Paper plate
> Dinner paper napkin
> 4 slices of thick bacon
> Dinner paper napkin
> Paper plate.
>
> Nuke on high for four minutes.

Makes beautiful, well cooked, crisp bacon, and a very messy microwave that
smells really good inside.

I have one of those microwave bacon racks. It's amazing (or scary) how much
fat is cooked out of a few slices of bacon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Makes beautiful, well cooked, crisp bacon, and a very messy microwave that
> smells really good inside.
>
> I have one of those microwave bacon racks. It's amazing (or scary) how much
> fat is cooked out of a few slices of bacon.

I have one of those hard plastic rectangular microwave bacon trays
with the bottom slightly sloped so the fat collects in a little tray
at one end. The bacon comes out perfectly crisp, and I put a paper
towel on top to absorb the grease that would otherwise splatter. I
only use the thick cut bacon, peppered bacon preferred. The only
drawback is that plate gets awfully hot. I usually cook it four
minutes then re-arrange the bacon and move the stuff on the outsides
to the insides and vise versa as it cooks faster on the ends, then I
nuke it another minute and check them and pull them out once they're
cooked and if not nuke another minute.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>
>> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>>
>> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>>
>> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>> into the pan.
>>
>> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

> I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
> out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
>
> Pic:
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
> --
> Peace! Om

What is the orange colored stuff?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:57:13 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>news
>> In article >,
>> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>>
>>> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>>>
>>> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>>>
>>> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>>> into the pan.
>>>
>>> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>>> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

>> I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
>> out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
>>
>> Pic:
>>
>> http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>

>What is the orange colored stuff?

I looked and looked. They remind me of carrots.

Baon, eggs and carrots? Is this ethnic?
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:57:13 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
>>> out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
>>>
>>> Pic:
>>>
>>> http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om
>>>

>>What is the orange colored stuff?

> I looked and looked. They remind me of carrots.
>
> Baon, eggs and carrots? Is this ethnic?
> --
> mad

It looks like sweet potato?

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:34:14 -0400, "Robert"
> wrote:

>"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:57:13 -0400, "Kswck" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>> In article >,

>>>What is the orange colored stuff?

>> I looked and looked. They remind me of carrots.
>>
>> Baon, eggs and carrots? Is this ethnic?
>> --
>> mad

>It looks like sweet potato?
>
>Robert

Yes, or some variety of turnip?
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:57:13 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Omelet" > wrote in message
> >news

> >> I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
> >> out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
> >>
> >> Pic:
> >>
> >> http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om
> >>

> >What is the orange colored stuff?

> I looked and looked. They remind me of carrots.
>
> Baon, eggs and carrots? Is this ethnic?

A way to attempt to subtly make bacon and eggs healthy. <g>
Gingered carrots with sesame seeds.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:34:49 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>A way to attempt to subtly make bacon and eggs healthy.
>Gingered carrots with sesame seeds.

Now that demands a uniform chorus of "YUCK". I will save the
carrots as a side with roast pork or chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:57:13 -0400, "Kswck" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Omelet" > wrote in message
>> >news >> >> In article >,

>> >What is the orange colored stuff?

>> I looked and looked. They remind me of carrots.
>>
>> Baon, eggs and carrots? Is this ethnic?

> A way to attempt to subtly make bacon and eggs healthy. <g>
> Gingered carrots with sesame seeds.
> --
> Peace! Om

Mystery solved. But with eggs?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> >
> >> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
> >>
> >> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
> >>
> >> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> >> into the pan.
> >>
> >> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> >> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

> > I deep fry it. Takes two minutes in the fryer and cooks a lot of the fat
> > out, plus it makes no splattery mess. :-)
> >
> > Pic:
> >
> > http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> What is the orange colored stuff?

Gingered carrots with Sesame seeds.

I often add veggies or a side salad to breakfasts. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message

> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>
> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>
> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> into the pan.
>
> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
> --
> mad

I use a bakers cooling rack placed in a large sheet cake pan. Both can go in
the dishwasher for easy clean up.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:55*pm, "Robert" > wrote:
> "Mack A. Damia" > wrote in messagenews:qhce15dd5u151jtfsvds1r5r60pojsqmlt@4ax .com...
>

> > Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.

> > Preheat oven *- Medium temperature.

> > Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> > into the pan.

> > The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> > and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
> > --
> > mad

> I use a bakers cooling rack placed in a large sheet cake pan. Both can go in
> the dishwasher for easy clean up.
>
> Robert

Sounds like a good variation on the OP.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> On May 22, 8:55 pm, "Robert" > wrote:
>> "Mack A. Damia" > wrote in messagenews:qhce15dd5u151jtfsvds1r5r60pojsqmlt@4ax .com...
>>

>>> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>>> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>>> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>>> into the pan.
>>> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>>> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
>>> --
>>> mad

>> I use a bakers cooling rack placed in a large sheet cake pan. Both can go in
>> the dishwasher for easy clean up.
>>
>> Robert

> Sounds like a good variation on the OP.
>
> Kris

Similar Deal only in an electric fry pan with rack and
a little water in the fry pan and bacon on a rack within
the fry pan lid on and steam vent slightly open.

Worms (in worm farms) love the left over fat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:42:59 +0800, "phil..c" >
wrote:

>Kris wrote:

>>> I use a bakers cooling rack placed in a large sheet cake pan. Both can go in
>>> the dishwasher for easy clean up.
>>>
>>> Robert

>> Sounds like a good variation on the OP.
>>
>> Kris

>Similar Deal only in an electric fry pan with rack and
>a little water in the fry pan and bacon on a rack within
>the fry pan lid on and steam vent slightly open.
>
>Worms (in worm farms) love the left over fat

Maybe I'm not understanding this properly. Do you mean that you're
steaming the bacon?

I'm thinking that it never looks done!
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message

> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>
> Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>
> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> into the pan.
>
> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
> --

I used to do bacon in the oven on cookie sheets. But the grease gets all
over the inside of the oven and it can make a smoky mess. Cleaning an oven
is a time consuming mess and I just hate doing it. So I just pan fry it as
always.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> I used to do bacon in the oven on cookie sheets. But the grease gets all
> over the inside of the oven and it can make a smoky mess. Cleaning an oven
> is a time consuming mess and I just hate doing it. So I just pan fry it as
> always.
>
> Paul

I do it and prefer that, but use a deeper roasting pan such as a Pyrex
lasagna pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
> >

> > Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
> >
> > Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
> >
> > Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> > into the pan.
> >
> > The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> > and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
> > --

> I used to do bacon in the oven on cookie sheets. But the grease gets all
> over the inside of the oven and it can make a smoky mess. Cleaning an oven
> is a time consuming mess and I just hate doing it. So I just pan fry it as
> always.
>
> Paul

Paul.

Try deep frying it. I dares ya. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> "Mack A. Damia" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>> >
>> > Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>> >
>> > Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>> > into the pan.
>> >
>> > The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>> > and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
>> > --

>> I used to do bacon in the oven on cookie sheets. But the grease gets all
>> over the inside of the oven and it can make a smoky mess. Cleaning an
>> oven
>> is a time consuming mess and I just hate doing it. So I just pan fry it
>> as
>> always.
>>
>> Paul

> Paul.
>
> Try deep frying it. I dares ya. <g>

Bring it on! My LDL was 225 recently (not horrible, not great) so I can do
it. Does the bacon fat spoil the fry oil? I like to get 3 uses out of 2
quarts of oil. Oil is so expensive these days.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> > Try deep frying it. I dares ya. <g>

> Bring it on! My LDL was 225 recently (not horrible, not great) so I can do
> it. Does the bacon fat spoil the fry oil? I like to get 3 uses out of 2
> quarts of oil. Oil is so expensive these days.
>
> Paul

Deep frying bacon actually cooks a lot of fat _out_ of it. When cooking
large amounts that way, I've had to bail the deep fryer as the oil level
got too high! <g>

As for it spoiling the frying oil, no, it does flavor it but imho that's
an improvement. I often just store the entire deep fryer in the
refrigerator as I do have the space to do that.

I purchase peanut oil for around $8.00 per gallon.

My most recent LDL as of May 26 was 176,

I don't deep fry a lot but living low carb, I don't stress out much
about eating fat. Bacon is not a regular item in my diet due more to
the salt content. Now that I've started making my own sausage more
frequently, I can control the salt in that item.

I love sausage. :-d
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> My most recent LDL as of May 26 was 176,

Sorry for the typo. Should have read May 21. (sigh)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> > Bring it on! My LDL was 225 recently (not horrible, not great) so I can do
> > it.

> Deep frying bacon actually cooks a lot of fat _out_ of it. When cooking
> large amounts that way, I've had to bail the deep fryer as the oil level
> got too high! <g>

> My most recent LDL as of May 26 was 176,

I'm confused. Are we talking total cholesterol or just LDL?

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4500

Total Cholesterol Level Category

Less than 200 mg/dL

Desirable level that puts you at lower risk for coronary heart disease.
A cholesterol level of 200 mg/dL or higher raises your risk.

200 to 239 mg/dL
Borderline high

240 mg/dL and above

High blood cholesterol. A person with this level has more than twice the
risk of coronary heart disease as someone whose cholesterol is below 200
mg/dL.

LDL Cholesterol Level Category

Less than 100 mg/dL
Optimal

100 to 129 mg/dL
Near or above optimal

130 to 159 mg/dL
Borderline high

160 to 189 mg/dL
High

190 mg/dL and above
Very high

Your LDL cholesterol goal depends on how many other risk factors you
have.Ý

* If you don't have coronary heart disease or diabetes and have one
or no risk factors, your LDL goal is less than 160 mg/dL.
* If you don't have coronary heart disease or diabetes and have two
or more risk factors, your LDL goal is less than 130 mg/dL.
* If you do have coronary heart disease or diabetes, your LDL goal
is less than 100 mg/dL.

[end quote]

I have a bunch of risk factors, so my doctor says my LDL goal is less
than 70.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 00:46:19 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>I used to do bacon in the oven on cookie sheets. But the grease gets all
>over the inside of the oven and it can make a smoky mess. Cleaning an oven
>is a time consuming mess and I just hate doing it. So I just pan fry it as
>always.
>
>Paul

I think it was here on RFC that someone mentioned baking bacon at 325
degrees. The idea was that this is well below the smoke point so the
bacon doesn't burn. It does take a while to bake but this is now our
standard method for bacon-cooking.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:31:27 -0500, Terry >
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 May 2009 00:46:19 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>wrote:
>>
>>I used to do bacon in the oven on cookie sheets. But the grease gets all
>>over the inside of the oven and it can make a smoky mess. Cleaning an oven
>>is a time consuming mess and I just hate doing it. So I just pan fry it as
>>always.
>>
>>Paul
>>

>I think it was here on RFC that someone mentioned baking bacon at 325
>degrees. The idea was that this is well below the smoke point so the
>bacon doesn't burn. It does take a while to bake but this is now our
>standard method for bacon-cooking.
>
>Best -- Terry

Glad you are well, Squeaks. Hope all is well with you.

Missed your posts. Always enjoyed them.

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On America's Test Kitchen they said to cook it at 400 degrees for about
20 minutes. I do it for our annual beach trips with 8 people for
breakfast. Usually I don't bother with a rack, just the bottom of the
broiler pan. Sometimes I move the bacon around or turn it over. It
works great, and beats standing over a skillet.

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fred/Libby Barclay wrote:
> On America's Test Kitchen they said to cook it at 400 degrees for about
> 20 minutes. I do it for our annual beach trips with 8 people for
> breakfast. Usually I don't bother with a rack, just the bottom of the
> broiler pan. Sometimes I move the bacon around or turn it over. It
> works great, and beats standing over a skillet.
>
> Libby

When I cook bacon, I cook the entire package. I bake it in the oven for
15 minutes, then I tilt the pan to drain the fat to one end of the pan.
I collect the bacon grease in a glass jar and I keep that in the
refrigerator. I store the bacon in the fridge in a ziploc bag.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:22*pm, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>
> Preheat oven *- Medium temperature.
>
> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
> into the pan.
>
> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
> --
> mad

I always cook bacon for larger groups in the oven, on a cake rack in a
jellyroll pan. It is mess free, hands free, and always comes out
right. 425 degrees for 20 min. DH does 4 slices for us in the toaster
oven, always perfect bacon!!
Nan in DE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 08:33:32 -0700 (PDT), nanzi >
wrote:

>On May 22, 7:22*pm, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>> Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>>
>> Preheat oven *- Medium temperature.
>>
>> Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>> into the pan.
>>
>> The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>> and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.
>> --
>> mad

>I always cook bacon for larger groups in the oven, on a cake rack in a
>jellyroll pan. It is mess free, hands free, and always comes out
>right. 425 degrees for 20 min. DH does 4 slices for us in the toaster
>oven, always perfect bacon!!
>Nan in DE

Thanks for that! I recall broiling bacon, too, bought at the farmer's
market in PA. Something about it - I haven't found it since. Freshly
smoked, maybe.

I haven't found what I call good bacon in Mexico, either.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I always cook bacon for larger groups in the oven,

....always have too...but did you think that you are going to convince
some one in the group you method is better?....don't waste the time.
I get tired of reading about how to scramble eggs, i.e. Your method
works best for you....who else matters?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 14:55:49 -0400, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Sat, 23 May 2009 08:33:32 -0700 (PDT), nanzi >
>wrote:
>
>>I always cook bacon for larger groups in the oven,

>...always have too...but did you think that you are going to convince
>some one in the group you method is better?....don't waste the time.
>I get tired of reading about how to scramble eggs, i.e. Your method
>works best for you....who else matters?

Whoa, there, Mr. Bill.

If I hear a good idea, and it works out better than mine, I'll switch
in a heartbeat.

Isn't that progress? Standing on the shoulders of giants and all
that....?
--
mad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:02:34 -0700, Mack A. Damia
> wrote:

>If I hear a good idea, and it works out better than mine, I'll switch
>in a heartbeat.

I don't recall saying you couldn't change your method...I said that IF
you method works for YOU....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 16:22:54 -0700, Mack A. Damia
> wrote:

>Put a large oven proof pan in the bottom of the oven.
>
>Preheat oven - Medium temperature.
>
>Hang bacon from the oven rack, close door and allow the fat to drip
>into the pan.
>
>The bacon is cooked evenly; you can monitor and vary its "doneness",
>and you have the bacon fat collected to use or throw.

Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Add cooling racks to pan. Add bacon
slices to racks. Add this to preheated gas grill at 375F. Come back
20 minutes later and check for your preferred doneness. When done
remove and toss the foil in the trash and the pan and racks in the DW.
Return the grill to the garage. Enjoy bacon.

Lou