Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Muffins

I ended up making two muffin recipes: Piglet's banana ones, and
tiger_spot's Morning Glorious. Their respective URLS are
http://porcinea.livejournal.com/100937.html and
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com...25924#t7225924

Wow. These are both so good. I ate WAY too many of them, but there are
still lots for the strikers. As I said in my blog, though:

Advice from one who's been the If people ask if they're low-fat,
shield their eyes from the nutritional analysis, smile sweetly, and say,
"How could anything with carrots and apples and cherries in it NOT be
low-fat?" It's not exactly a lie, now, is it?

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 May 2009 22:06:40 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Advice from one who's been the If people ask if they're low-fat,
>shield their eyes from the nutritional analysis, smile sweetly, and say,
>"How could anything with carrots and apples and cherries in it NOT be
>low-fat?" It's not exactly a lie, now, is it?

You are an *evil* person, serene. LOL!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 May 2009 22:06:40 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>I ended up making two muffin recipes: Piglet's banana ones, and
>tiger_spot's Morning Glorious. Their respective URLS are
>http://porcinea.livejournal.com/100937.html and
>http://serenejournal.livejournal.com...25924#t7225924
>
>Wow. These are both so good. I ate WAY too many of them, but there are
>still lots for the strikers. As I said in my blog, though:
>
>Advice from one who's been the If people ask if they're low-fat,
>shield their eyes from the nutritional analysis, smile sweetly, and say,
>"How could anything with carrots and apples and cherries in it NOT be
>low-fat?" It's not exactly a lie, now, is it?
>
>Serene

Both of these are very healthy at 62 and 118 calories each muffin, and
they taste great as well.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wheat Germ Orange Cranberry Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : baking muffins
ours

1 cup toasted wheat germ if possible
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup plain yogurt
5 tablespoons baking powder
2/3 cup grated carrot
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup chopped cranberries
1 large egg
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425 'F

In a bowl mix all dry ingredients

In a seperate bowl mix all wet ingredients, then add all dry
ingredients and mix together.. You can add the zest from a orange if
you want more flavor.

Divide mixture into a 12 muffin lined baking sheet... bake 14 - 17
mins. Cool on wire rack

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 118 Calories; 4g Fat (31.9%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
21mg Cholesterol; 721mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Yogurt and Walnut Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : baking muffins
ours

1 1/4 cups Oatmeal
1/4 cup Plain Yogurt
1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
1 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup blue agave syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup grape seed oil
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 large omega 3 eggs

Preheat oven to 375F

In a large bowl whisk oatmeal, flat seed, flour, baking soda, and
baking powder

In a seperate bowl combine eggs, yougurt, bananas, agave syrup, and
grape seed oil. Add flour mixture, mix and then add walnuts.

Pour batter into a lined muffin sheet.Bake for 20-22 minutes or when
tops spring back with light touch. Cool on wire rack.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 62 Calories; 2g Fat (22.9%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
trace Cholesterol; 239mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Advice from one who's been the If people ask if they're low-fat,
> shield their eyes from the nutritional analysis, smile sweetly, and say,
> "How could anything with carrots and apples and cherries in it NOT be
> low-fat?" It's not exactly a lie, now, is it?
>
> Serene

Maybe not an outright lie, but it's a helluva tap dance, Serene. I
salute you! <g>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> I ended up making two muffin recipes: Piglet's banana ones, and
> tiger_spot's Morning Glorious. Their respective URLS are
> http://porcinea.livejournal.com/100937.html and
> http://serenejournal.livejournal.com...25924#t7225924
>
> Wow. These are both so good. I ate WAY too many of them, but there
> are still lots for the strikers. As I said in my blog, though:
>
> Advice from one who's been the If people ask if they're low-fat,
> shield their eyes from the nutritional analysis, smile sweetly, and
> say, "How could anything with carrots and apples and cherries in it
> NOT be low-fat?" It's not exactly a lie, now, is it?
>
> Serene

At least they tasted good. I was selling baked goods at a fund raiser,
once. A lady donated muffins that were low fat and "heart healthy",
they were made with a lot of anise and I could see grated carrots in
them. They were so dry and crumbly, it was like eating sawdust. I
tried to feed them to the horses, but they spit them out. :-(

Whether you are feeding strikers or raising funds, you should go all out!

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>I ended up making two muffin recipes: Piglet's banana ones, and
>tiger_spot's Morning Glorious. Their respective URLS are
>http://porcinea.livejournal.com/100937.html and
>http://serenejournal.livejournal.com...25924#t7225924
>
> Wow. These are both so good. I ate WAY too many of them, but there are
> still lots for the strikers. As I said in my blog, though:
>
> Advice from one who's been the If people ask if they're low-fat, shield
> their eyes from the nutritional analysis, smile sweetly, and say, "How
> could anything with carrots and apples and cherries in it NOT be low-fat?"
> It's not exactly a lie, now, is it?
>
> Serene

Serene, if the recipe really makes 24 muffins, I'd say they are reasonably
low in fat: less than a tablespoon each, right? Works for me! I wonder
how it would work to substitute some whole grain flours for part of the AP
flour? I'll bet that would be tasty too.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Serene Vannoy wrote:
> > I ended up making two muffin recipes: Piglet's banana ones, and
> > tiger_spot's Morning Glorious. Their respective URLS are
> > http://porcinea.livejournal.com/100937.html and
> > http://serenejournal.livejournal.com...25924#t7225924
> >
> > Wow. These are both so good. I ate WAY too many of them, but there
> > are still lots for the strikers. As I said in my blog, though:
> >
> > Advice from one who's been the If people ask if they're low-fat,
> > shield their eyes from the nutritional analysis, smile sweetly, and
> > say, "How could anything with carrots and apples and cherries in it
> > NOT be low-fat?" It's not exactly a lie, now, is it?

> At least they tasted good. I was selling baked goods at a fund raiser,
> once. A lady donated muffins that were low fat and "heart healthy",
> they were made with a lot of anise and I could see grated carrots in
> them. They were so dry and crumbly, it was like eating sawdust. I
> tried to feed them to the horses, but they spit them out. :-(

I've had muffins with grated carrot in them (and raisins, as I
remember). They were very good, but a little heavy. Fortunately, I
prefer them heavy.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA