Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Today is also Dutch Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag)

Today also marks the end of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands,
brought about by Allied troops.

Here's a traditional Dutch waffle recipe:

1 lb white flour
8 eggs, separated
about 1/2 lb unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 packets dried yeast (1/2 oz)
about 3 cups warm milk
vanilla sugar to taste (start with a couple of teaspoons or use a packet
of Dr Oetker vanilla sugar)
splash of brandy

Mix the yeast with some warm milk and a little flour. Let it stand until
foamy. Put the flour, melted butter, egg yolks, milk and vanilla sugar
in a bowl. Add the yeast mixture and stir well. Let the batter stand for
at least an hour. Beat the eggwhites to stiff peaks and fold into the
batter. Just before baking the waffles, add a splash (or two) of brandy.
Bake the waffles as usual. Serve with cinnamon sugar or 'stroop', which
is a cane syrup.

Eet smakelijk!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Today also marks the end of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands,
> brought about by Allied troops.
>
> Here's a traditional Dutch waffle recipe:
>
> 1 lb white flour
> 8 eggs, separated
> about 1/2 lb unsalted butter, melted and cooled
> 2 packets dried yeast (1/2 oz)
> about 3 cups warm milk
> vanilla sugar to taste (start with a couple of teaspoons or use a packet
> of Dr Oetker vanilla sugar)
> splash of brandy
>

> Mix the yeast with some warm milk and a little flour. Let it stand until
> foamy. Put the flour, melted butter, egg yolks, milk and vanilla sugar
> in a bowl. Add the yeast mixture and stir well. Let the batter stand for
> at least an hour. Beat the eggwhites to stiff peaks and fold into the
> batter. Just before baking the waffles, add a splash (or two) of brandy.
> Bake the waffles as usual. Serve with cinnamon sugar or 'stroop', which
> is a cane syrup.
>
> Eet smakelijk!

One of my uncles participated in the liberation of the Netherlands.
Twenty-five years ago the survivors of his unit were invited by the
Dutch royal family to the Netherlands in gratitude. As luck would have
it, some of the SO's relatives were among those liberated by Allied
troops.

OB Food: Brats on the grill tonight with salad.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me