Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default British menu

I thought you might be interested in a birthday menu cooked by a man
who posts on an English newsgroup. He cooks for pleasure - is not a
professional. As I've mentioned before, British cooking has come a
long, long way from those boiled potatoes and cabbage!

--
Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message

>> Mother's Christmas Cake with cream.

Interesting menu. Wish I was invited. Question though, did mother not
finish her cake? Will it be a bit stale?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora > wrote:

> I thought you might be interested in a birthday menu cooked by a man
> who posts on an English newsgroup.

No attributions?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Dora > wrote:
>
>> I thought you might be interested in a birthday menu cooked by a man
>> who posts on an English newsgroup.

> No attributions?

Dora could invite him to post here is she so wishes. I know the gentleman
in the other group who prepared this menu for his dinner with friends. Lucky
friends If you are lucky, he might even share the youtube film of this
birthday dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 03 May 2009 12:37:58p, Dora told us...

> I thought you might be interested in a birthday menu cooked by a man
> who posts on an English newsgroup. He cooks for pleasure - is not a
> professional. As I've mentioned before, British cooking has come a
> long, long way from those boiled potatoes and cabbage!
>
>> The menu was
>>
>> Antipasto di salumi e vedura
>> (Bresaola; prosciutto crudo; Milan, Neopolitan with fennel and spicy
>> Sicilian salamis; pickles artichoke hearts; stuffed vine leaves,
>> spinach falafel; sun dried tomatoes; dried black, big green and
>> stuffed olives.)
>>
>> Beef with cinnamon and bay
>> Scented rice encased in filo pastry
>> Orange carrots (as per Graham's post a few weeks ago)
>>
>> Mixed leaf salad with balsamic vinegar dressing
>>
>> Cheeses:
>> Peccorino Toscano Staggionato, Gorganzola di montagne, Hereford Hop
>> and Black Bomber.
>>
>> Mother's Christmas Cake with cream.
>>
>> Coffee.
>>
>> The wines; a 2007 muscadet de Sevres et Maine, a 2005 Sicilian
>> Aglianico, a 2006 Fitou and with pudding a 1982 Rivesaltes Ambre
>> Hors
>> Age.
>>
>> Breads: sun dried tomato, pain de compagne style, mixed grains and
>> seeds, wholemeal and brioche.

A lovely menu! Dora, it's so nice to see you posting here again. I've
missed you, as I'm sure many have.

--
Wayne Boatwright
An empty belly is the best cook. ~Estonian Proverb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 3:37*pm, "Dora" > wrote:
> I thought you might be interested in a birthday menu cooked by a man
> who posts on an English newsgroup. *He cooks for pleasure - is not a
> professional. *As I've mentioned before, British cooking has come a
> long, long way from those boiled potatoes and cabbage!
>

> > The menu was

> > Antipasto di salumi e vedura
> > (Bresaola; prosciutto crudo; Milan, Neopolitan with fennel and spicy
> > Sicilian salamis; pickles artichoke hearts; stuffed vine leaves,
> > spinach falafel; sun dried tomatoes; dried black, big green and
> > stuffed olives.)

> > Beef with cinnamon and bay
> > Scented rice encased in filo pastry
> > Orange carrots (as per Graham's post a few weeks ago)

> > Mixed leaf salad with balsamic vinegar dressing

> > Cheeses:
> > Peccorino Toscano Staggionato, Gorganzola di montagne, Hereford Hop
> > and Black Bomber.

> > Mother's Christmas Cake with cream.

> > Coffee.

> > The wines; a 2007 muscadet de Sevres et Maine, a 2005 Sicilian
> > Aglianico, a 2006 Fitou and with pudding a 1982 Rivesaltes Ambre
> > Hors
> > Age.

> > Breads: sun dried tomato, pain de compagne style, mixed grains and
> > seeds, wholemeal and brioche.

> --
> Dora

Yum! I wonder how to make the scented rice in phyllo? Anyone?

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default British Menu - scented rice

Kris wrote:

> Yum! I wonder how to make the scented rice in phyllo? Anyone?
>
> Kris

Kris, Matthew Malthouse has today posted a separate answer to your
question about scented rice. He is the Englishman whose birthday menu
I posted yesterday.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> A lovely menu! Dora, it's so nice to see you posting here again.
> I've missed you, as I'm sure many have.

Thanks, Wayne. Not too often - just once in a while when somebody
hits a chord.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Dora could invite him to post here is she so wishes. I know the gentleman
> in the other group who prepared this menu for his dinner with friends. Lucky
> friends If you are lucky, he might even share the youtube film of this
> birthday dinner.

I took the risk.

Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiKBTtmpPk

Matthew
--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Matthew Malthouse wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Dora could invite him to post here is she so wishes. I know the
>> gentleman in the other group who prepared this menu for his dinner
>> with friends. Lucky friends If you are lucky, he might even share
>> the youtube film of this birthday dinner.

> I took the risk.
>
> Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiKBTtmpPk

Hello, Matthew) Welcome

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 05 May 2009 11:47:47a, Matthew Malthouse told us...

> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Dora could invite him to post here is she so wishes. I know the
>> gentleman in the other group who prepared this menu for his dinner with
>> friends. Lucky friends If you are lucky, he might even share the
>> youtube film of this birthday dinner.

> I took the risk.
>
> Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiKBTtmpPk
>
> Matthew

I think that looks fantastic!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Old people shouldn't eat health foods. They need all the

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 May 2009 20:18:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> > Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiKBTtmpPk
> >
> > Matthew

> I think that looks fantastic!

Thank you. It was a great evening; even in my somewhat frazzled state
after preparing it.

I'd hired a cottage on the estate that Hall is the centre of for a
week and had my parents and friends down for the first weekend while
Sue (who runs the hall) put up other mutual friends and there were
some locals in the mix too.

The following evening we cooked dinner for Sue and her family in the
cottage as a thank-you and a treat, letting her get away from the big
house while still being close enough to walk home after a few bottles
of wine.

I did simple salmon pate served with artichoke hearts. It really is
simple; just poached salmon beaten with very low fat cream cheese
(about 3/4 fish to 1/4 cheese) and a teaspoon or two of tomato paste.

My sister's godmother Coral did the main dish which was chicken with
onions in cream sauce.

Take one good sized chicken breast per person and slice. Lay the
slices in an ovenproof dish so they cover the bottom and cover
generously with very finely sliced onions. Grate over cheddar (for
bulk) and a little parmesan (for extra flavour) and make in a medium
oven for 30-40 minutes. Pour over some thick cream and return to the
oven for 10 minutes or so, long enough for the heat to bring the sauce
together.

This is a good one as all the prep can be done hours in advance with
the dish left covered in the fridge and after main cooking it will
come to no harm kept warm in the oven turned low should guests linger
over earlier courses.

The accompaniments were boiled new potatoes and steamed broccoli
(George Bush, eat your heart out).

Matthew
--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 5:42 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Dora > wrote:
> > I thought you might be interested in a birthday menu cooked by a man
> > who posts on an English newsgroup.

> No attributions?
>
> -sw

Lazy bum! Just go to the the British group.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Matthew Malthouse > wrote:

> I did simple salmon pate served with artichoke hearts. It really is
> simple; just poached salmon beaten with very low fat cream cheese
> (about 3/4 fish to 1/4 cheese) and a teaspoon or two of tomato paste.

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the concept!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 05 May 2009 03:26:10p, Matthew Malthouse told us...

> On Tue, 05 May 2009 20:18:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> > Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiKBTtmpPk
>> >
>> > Matthew

>> I think that looks fantastic!

> Thank you. It was a great evening; even in my somewhat frazzled state
> after preparing it.
>
> I'd hired a cottage on the estate that Hall is the centre of for a
> week and had my parents and friends down for the first weekend while
> Sue (who runs the hall) put up other mutual friends and there were
> some locals in the mix too.
>
> The following evening we cooked dinner for Sue and her family in the
> cottage as a thank-you and a treat, letting her get away from the big
> house while still being close enough to walk home after a few bottles
> of wine.
>
> I did simple salmon pate served with artichoke hearts. It really is
> simple; just poached salmon beaten with very low fat cream cheese
> (about 3/4 fish to 1/4 cheese) and a teaspoon or two of tomato paste.
>
> My sister's godmother Coral did the main dish which was chicken with
> onions in cream sauce.
>
> Take one good sized chicken breast per person and slice. Lay the
> slices in an ovenproof dish so they cover the bottom and cover
> generously with very finely sliced onions. Grate over cheddar (for
> bulk) and a little parmesan (for extra flavour) and make in a medium
> oven for 30-40 minutes. Pour over some thick cream and return to the
> oven for 10 minutes or so, long enough for the heat to bring the sauce
> together.
>
> This is a good one as all the prep can be done hours in advance with
> the dish left covered in the fridge and after main cooking it will
> come to no harm kept warm in the oven turned low should guests linger
> over earlier courses.
>
> The accompaniments were boiled new potatoes and steamed broccoli
> (George Bush, eat your heart out).

This had to be a great dining and socializing experience, Matthew. I will
definitely try the salmon paté and the baked chicken dish. Both easy and
sound delicious. And I *will* eat the broccoli, as it's one of my favorite
vegetables. Thank you for the lovely description. The Hall is beautiful,
as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright
And, of course, the funniest food of all, kumquats. ~George Carlin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 12:41*pm, "Dora" > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>
> > Yum! I wonder how to make the scented rice in phyllo? Anyone?

> > Kris

> Kris, Matthew Malthouse has today posted a separate answer to your
> question about scented rice. *He is the Englishman whose birthday menu
> I posted yesterday.
>
> Dora

Excellent! Thank you.

Kris